IMDb > Of Fox and Hounds (1940) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Of Fox and Hounds More at IMDbPro »

One of many cartoons that was to use Of Mice and Men as an influence of sorts

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
6 February 2002

Tex Avery was fond of using Of Mice and Men, or at least the characters of Lenny and George, as the starting pont for his characters in his cartoons. The title of this one is a play on Steinbeck's title and Willoughby is basically Lenny. The prize bit in a very good short is Willoughby's first encounter with a very puzzled bear! Well worth seeking out. Recommended.

I like Willoughby

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
28 July 2015

Actually more than the fox I think. And the fox likes him too I guess as he helps him when the bear threatens him. This is a 9-minute cartoon from 75 years ago, a bit longer than usual, and it features the talents of Tex Avery and Mel Blanc, two of the biggest names in cartoon movies a long time ago. You could probably say that many of the jokes were not too new or refreshing, but if you look at the year 1940, you will see that this was made very early already, so you could also say that other cartoons copied the jokes from this one. I felt that "Of Fox and Hounds" was a pretty decent watch and I would have loved to see Willoughby in more cartoons, but I think he is not among the more prolific careers from back in the day. The only somewhat negative thing I can think of is that the Fox really reminds me of a 100% copy of Bugs Bunny, but that may also be due to Blanc's voice. Still a very entertaining 9 minutes and I also liked how Willoughby kept talking to the audience all the time, also at the ending with the funny pillow scene. Good stuff. Recommended.