IMDb > The Grapes of Wrath (1940) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 29: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A family struggles during the time of the Great Depression

Author: Dollardave86 from United States
31 March 2014

Wow I tell you I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. The film shows a family from Oklohoma as well as many others who lost their land to the bank. As a result the family packed up their run down truck, and headed west to California to find work. During the voyage some of the elders from the family passed away. The film showed the difficulties that people experienced during the Great Depression, as you saw other families in camps waiting for a place to go next. The look of the movie was out standing, it gave you a good idea what the middle and west of America looked like. The people struggled to find shelter to live and money to eat, but they didn't give up. The whole time that I watched the movie, I was wondering if they're truck was going to make it the whole way to California.

Overall Good

Author: launsbachc from New York, United States
26 March 2014

I have to note that the characterization in this film is very good. It is as if you can really hear and see the pain each character is experiencing. For example when Tom first meets Casy the viewer can easily identify that he has drawn drastically far from his former beliefs and life as a preacher. Henry Fonda (Tom) does a phenomenal job of portraying the sort of rough around the edges but good hearted type. Most of his significant plot developing actions consist of him perhaps doing the "wrong thing" but for the right reason for instance when he hits the sheriff. Because the film is centered around depression era Midwest farmers it may be difficult to connect with on a personal level. That said, one thing any whole hearted person can relate to in this film is the love and dedication we have for our families, how important it is, and how it truly reveals itself in times of hardship. To me that was the overwhelming social significance of the film. In the end when Tom is forced to skip town because of the sheriff he tells his mother he plans to fight for injustice. Although it is definitely sad I feel as if Tom gains fulfillment from using his edge and aggression to combat unfairness. Weather it was Casy's attacker or the Sheriff it was clear Tom did what he did for the right reasons and felt good about it despite the consequences. Symbolically as we see Tom off to seek his fulfillment it appears his family may be fortunate enough to seek theirs too as they hear of work north of the camp.

Overall touching film and I enjoyed it. On a side note I think their truck may have been the inspiration for The Hollywood Hillbillies.

great

Author: csharrow1994 from United States
25 March 2014

Having read and loved the book, I was a little apprehensive about watching this. I didn't want it to not meet my expectations. However, it went above and beyond them. The movie really painted a clear picture of everything the book was trying to say. The adaptation from book to film was a work of art in itself. It has such a powerful social message that is really hit home through the way it is directed and the way the actors worked together. Also, I felt that the cinematographer of the film did a wonderful job at capturing the fields and open skies of Oklahoma. The Grapes of Wrath is one of the most realistic and captivating films that I have seen and definitely left me in awe, and thinking about the issues it presented.

Family Values at Their Best

Author: rivardoman
24 March 2014

John Ford examines the plight of families at the (cusp) of the great depression. The story is centered around the family of protagonist Tom Jobe. Tom is reunited with his family after serving a four year prison sentence for killing a guy in a dance hall. Ford has such a fluid style of film making. The viewer becomes a part of the family as they pack into their old truck and head west to California. I find that Ford uses a lot of visual metaphors to convey his ideas. For instance, when a families house is demolished, ford pans down to the shadows of the family cast over the tracks of the tractor. Symbolizing the destruction of their whole life. With each day the situation seems to get worse as the sun goes down, but each day brings a new hope as the sun comes over the horizon. The film makers fully understood the effects of lighting, that's part of what makes Fords films so great.

It changed my views about America

Author: eklavya cwk from India
23 March 2014

Well yes sir...this is a movie worth noticing. A beautiful story and a immense drama. The story tell us about our society in metaphor.

Everything was just great, it was a beautiful and significant screenplay. All characters and actors and director and set...just fitting at the right place. Jane Darwell was really seemingly person don't know why she didn't got Oscar or even nomination. Selfish and struggling people are there everywhere. So this movie is a comment on whats going on around due to negligence towards goodness.

This movie changed my views about American people. Even though they seemed to be just all boasting rotten about themselves this film shows how to the ground, simple and loving Americans are. Its like nearly everyone every culture has got same problem but wherever there is innocence and simplicity, love and the lord will have its path. The knowledge found in Indian regions has got its glimpse in this film.

It reminded me of all those beautiful Bollywood movies, and this marks that even Hollywood has its deep roots for society. The final dialogue says " Fella ain't got a soul of his own, just..a little part of a big soul. The one big soul that belongs to everybody ".

Analysis for The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Author: t-seeberger4 from United States
12 March 2014

This movie is a good one, but it's not as good as some of the other films that I have watched recently. When I saw the Route 66 sign, I knew that the family was going to another place. However, I didn't know that the Joad family's travels down the highway was hard. I was sad when Grandpa Joad passed away during the trip down the highway. Other than that, it's still good. The acting by Henry Fonda and Jane Darwell happens to be really good as the story moves on. Also, the writing of this movie is so good that it makes me want to see it at least once more. When it comes to how it did overall, I would say that it's not as good as some of the others, but hey, it's still a good movie. People shouldn't regret missing out on this movie.

Timeless

Author: laurch from Idaho
4 March 2014

Although I normally hate black and white films. This had its educational purposes and highlighted many of the problems we face today. I would love to see this film remade with a present day twist and maybe some color. The actors sold the script and the filming added the drama to the film While everybody learned about the Great Depression and even California Migration resulting in the dust bowl in the Midwest. This movie teaches you what every day life was like for migrant workers. The abuses that ordinary citizens faced everyday just trying to provide food and shelter for their families. Big businesses were profiting millions of dollars while paying workers measly wages and providing no benefits or safety. The film does carry a political tone against big business and anti-regulators.

Awesome

Author: Pattina Leeper from Nampa, Idaho
2 March 2014

I watched this movie for a class that I am taking. Had it not been for the class I would have never watched but once I got into it I was intrigue to learn something about the state that I used to live in.

The characters were cast great. Henry Ford did such an awesome job playing the conflicted Tom Joad, for a man that gets out of prison to discover that his family had last the land that they lived on for 50 years. Then to have to travel across country and lose members of their family along that way is tough.

Then for Tom to faced with more challenges when he just trying to help his family survive, this relates to everyday life as we see it.

A Must-See Film For So Many Reasons - And One of The Very Best

Author: iamyuno2
28 December 2013

If this isn't the finest and most moving depiction of the human tragedies that occurred during the Dust Bowl era, I don't know what is. Yet it is much more than that - it is simply one of the finest movies ever made. Better acting you will never see - and while it's arguably (a very young) Henry Fonda's very best film, Jane Darwell puts in a performance you will never forget (and you won't soon forget her final line - one of the most historic, moving and memorable final lines in all of movie history). You can't get a better story than one written by John Steinbeck, of course, and the stark cinematography blazes new territory and remains fresh to this day. Even the "lesser" character actors shine brightly here. Who will forget John Qualen's performance as Muley or John Carradine's performance as Casey? ...And that's just scratching the surface. Who doesn't fall in love with and care about the main characters, as they desperately try to survive the rigors of the Depression (and whom among us could withstand the horrors they went through)? This is a real story - one that every American needs to know; there is no exaggeration here. The inhumanity heaped upon the most defenseless during the Depression - as brought out in this film - is something few movies have brought out. This is the quintessential Dust Bowl and Depression film. The realism is incredible. The music helps move you to tears, too. The heroism so many of the characters display is not just moving - it speaks of a time when more people were truly noble. What a cast! What a story! What a film!

Steinbeck at his best

Author: lenavaughan from United States
27 December 2013

Born into wealth, it is hard to imagine how Steinbeck could portray poverty in such a personal way. If it is true that great writers write from what they know, it is astounding. Somewhere he possessed an old soul and a feel for real people and real times. East of Eden is another wonderful example of his understanding of pain and , most of all, of love. Henry Fonda was born to play this role. Why he did not win an Oscar for it is amazing. Attempts in later years to remake this epic movie, a waste. Leave perfection alone. Ma Joad, also, cannot, among today's actresses be redone. Perhaps Meryl Streep in another hundred pounds and 30 years. When choosing entertainment for young readers, this movie is one they should be required to see. Sadly, many English classes no longer have required reading. Watching this adaption of Steinbeck is the next best thing.