IMDb > The Grapes of Wrath (1940) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Grapes of Wrath More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 27: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Very Slow Film

Author: Hwos from United States
15 October 2011

"The Grapes of Wrath" as a film was very similar to the novel in one unfortunate way, it was very slow to develop. It is the story of the Joad family in the dust bowl of the western United States, during the Great Depression of the 1930's. The Joad's are destitute and heading west in hopes of finding a better life. Henry Fonda's portrayal of Tom Joad was the lone bright spot in this film. The plot was very slow and deliberate, by design. The film is meant to portray a struggle, and the fight against hopelessness, which it does well, unfortunately it does it at the expense of keeping the interest of the viewer. The sad, drawn out tale is, plainly put, not very interesting or fun to watch. As a documentary it would have worked by telling such a fine story, but as a film that is meant to entertain an audience it fell flat on its face. Watching this film felt like work more than entertainment, and although it may be understandable because of the subject matter, the end result is a film that is not enjoyable.

A warming story of family struggles...

Author: k-deeb from United States
12 October 2011

Grapes of Wrath was a warming film of family overcoming struggles together, and making ends meet. Henry Fonda plays a compassionate ex-con, on parole, who goes west hoping for a better life with his family. The Joad family faces its good share of struggles. First being kicked out of their house because of the government, then moving out of a camp because it's going to be burned, and going form location to location looking for work and money, to simply put food on the table. Yet through all the struggles, the family sticks together, and somehow makes it through. Despite Henry Fonda, Tom, leaving in the end, their is hope for the family.

The film carries a strong message of family love and is wonderfully directed and acted. Fonda's expressions, eyes, and acting are perfect along with Jane Darwell as Mama Joad, who holds the family together and keeps the family's hope alive. It is filmed well with good use of lighting and shadows to create a masterpiece.

Classic Steinbeck brought to life

Author: j-catanzaro from United States
12 October 2011

This film is great for many reasons, primarily because it was adapted from John Steinbeck's timeless novel. Although Steinbeck's original thoughts and emotions are written down in the text, John Ford and this cast do a superb job of conveying these emotions and thoughts on screen. Henry Fonda plays Tom Joad, and does so flawlessly. Each character has their own influence on making this movie great in different ways. At first, we see Tom fresh out of jail, naive to the current times and angry with people and the world in general for the state most people are in during the depression. Toward the end, Tom realizes he can't control every situation presented him, and matures over the course of the film by accepting things that he can't change. Although he carries with him good intentions, the Joad's and many like them are victims of the times.

Steinbeck's novel is a classic, and I think that John Ford does an excellent job of paying his due diligence through this movie. If you are familiar with Steinbeck you'll already know that he writes of many things simultaneously, that is, many of the things he says can be taken at face value or delved into deeply and contemplated end over end. John Ford understands this, and it shows in scenes where his characters give monologues, usually with close up shots to show the raw emotion in their faces. At the end of the movie we see Tom saying farewell to his mother before leaving the ranch. Mrs. Joad inquires, "What'll you do Tom, go off? How'll you survive- what if you get killed? I'd never see you again", to which Tom replies, "Ma I'll be everywhere helpin' out the everyman. (If I were to die) I'll be there when a cop is beatin' a poor fella for no reason, where children laugh because they're hungry, an' they know supper's ready... I'll be everywhere." It is here that we see Tom's change in his character, which is reflective of the entire country at the time. Beaten and broken, most are forced to fend for themselves in hopes of finding better days. Tom is the opposite, looking out for those he loves and complete strangers simultaneously.

This movie reflects the nation as a whole of the time, and gives us a peek into the simple will and desire of those folks to merely get by without worrying about starving or having a place to sleep at night. As Ma Joad says, "We'll keep on forever 'cause we're the people. Born on this dirt, live, die, and pass on to the youngster's here, we'll keep on going forever". See it, read it, love it.

Author: firstchance from United States
12 October 2011

I appreciate the movie for what it is about, but I really did not enjoy it. I found myself wanting more, maybe some action. I was bored most of the time and it seemed to lull. It could be because the issues they were dealing with don't relate with my life. It put their hardships into reality and I greatly respect the characters and what they had to go through. I don't think I would survive such an event in my life. I just couldn't get past the film. In some of the scenes the sounds were echo like and this bothered me. I did find some of the scenes interesting in retrospect. I like the scene where the children thought they broke the toilet and ran from the owner. I also like the concept of what tom said to his mother. That he was part of one big soul verses just his own. I thought it was a good concept and the actors did a nice job, but the movie just wasn't my cup of tea.

A really well made film.

Author: a-ferrera from United States
12 October 2011

This movie surprised me, I thought it would have been a lot worse than it ended up being. The writing in this movie was overall really good, with many strong monologues. I think the editing in this movie was also done really great, the pacing never got boring for me. The lighting was pretty good, although it did get maybe a little too dark at times during some of the last scenes.

But my favorite thing about this movie is Henry Fonda. This is my first time seeing a movie starring him and I must say that I am really impressed. He seems like an actor that could take on any role and be really good in it.

Grapes of Wrath Review

Author: GoodBen from United States
11 October 2011

The Grapes of Wrath gives us a look into what life was like for the displaced farm families and the migrant workers during the Great Depression. It does this by following the struggles of the Joad family, Midwesterners who lost their farm, as they try to make it to California and a better life. Overall, I found this film to be enjoyable in that it held my interest and made me feel like I was learning about an important piece of American history that's often forgotten. One positive aspect of the movie was the acting of Henry Fonda as Tom Joad, a young farmer, and John Carradine as Tom Casy a former preacher. I was also struck by the perseverance and hopefulness of the Joad family. Even though one misfortune after another happens to them, they never give up hope. There seems to be a message here about how people can come out okay no matter how bad their situation is if they keep trying. On a less positive note, some of the travel scenes were a bit boring and could have been shortened.

Surprisingly wasn't entertained

Author: Piratezombie7 from United States
11 October 2011

I know this movie is supposed to be one of the greatest movies of all time, and be timeless, but I just don't feel it. I will admit the acting is superb on all fronts, especially Tom Jode who's performance could bring a more sentimental man to tears. I feel horrible in saying this but I really was almost annoyed by the complaining and sunken in feeling through out the movie, very depressing. It may just be my mood at the time but I can't seem to get behind the cause of the characters no matter what. I wish I could but I guess the wealth of other great emotion films out there have made me numb to a person who isn't real, who never faced the problems in the movie.

grapes of wrath

Author: StaticScreen from United States
11 October 2011

1930's. Great Depression. Dust Bowl. Unemployment. Red Scares. The Grapes of Wrath follow the story of Tom Joad and his family to California to find jobs, after their farmland is taken when they can't pay loans after the Dust Bowl. I found this to be a good movie, and it was very entertaining. It's themes also seem relevant now due to unemployment rates climbing nowadays. I found the acting to be well done as well as camera work and all, but the ending left me a little bit confused. The movie starts off about a poor family looking for work, but then Tom has to be on the run for the rest of the movie from corrupt policemen who think he's a rebel commie. The overall message to it seems a bit scattered and almost supporting communism, in a way. At least, in the end things begin to look up for the Joads (especially Tom) and it leaves on a positive note. Maybe I should read the book instead. Oh well, it was still more enjoyable than a lot of movies I've seen.

"I smell spare ribs. Somebody's been eatin' spare ribs. How come I ain't got none?"

Author: ARodino from United States
10 October 2011

"The Grapes of Wrath" probably could of been advertised as a documentary, had it not been for its narrative-style story-telling. The historical context of the movie's setting, characters, and conflict makes it seem like a genuine account of a farming family surviving after the Great Depression. At first, you're not sure if this will be a good movie, mostly because of the behaviors of Charley Grapewin and Zeffie Tilbury's characters, who come off as some sort of senile comic relief pair. Later on, however, you realize that the movie is shaped around the struggle this family encounters as they go West. Henry Fonda makes for an incredible lead role, mostly because of the fact that he's a criminal and the last thing you'd expect for him to act like a generic "momma's boy." It's his rebelliousness that also makes this character likable, seeing how we could of acted the same way if we were in his shoes. The dialogue is memorable, the shadows and sound effects really draw in the atmosphere of West, and the final speech(es) of the film tie everything together spectacularly. After watching this film, there's a cleansing feeling you get from seeing this film, as if all the worries of the world momentarily drained out in the past two hours.

Author: dmdmikrut74 from United States
7 October 2011

The movie was a very good representation of what it was like during the Great Depression. It held my interest and kept me wondering what was going to happen to the characters next. The little girls were funny and kept everyone's spirits high when they would get excited over the simplest things. The Grandfather was funny because he was old and wanted to do things his way and not leave. The night scenes were done again very well especially when in the creek. In the end when Tom was leaving was a little dragged out and when the family made it into California was a little boring and drawn out again. But all in all it was a very good movie and i would recommend it to anyone who has or hasn't read the novel.