IMDb > Yes, My Darling Daughter (1939) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Yes, My Darling Daughter More at IMDbPro »

Likable cast in once-racy comedy

Author: reelguy2 from Boulder, Colorado
20 December 2004

Jeffrey Lynn gets a real bum rap by one reviewer on this site. He has an impossible part to play here, in which he's subjected to Priscilla Lane's endless platitudinous chatter. It's certainly refreshing to see a liberated woman in an old movie, but Lane's character is positively emasculating. Under the circumstances, Lynn does very well. Based on a popular play, this film was considered racy in 1939. Seen today, it's so innocuous, it's almost offensive! Needless to say, Lane retains her virginity even though she goes away for the weekend with boyfriend Lynn.

Forget the sociological implications, however, and you have a reasonably witty entertainment, successfully "opened up" from its stage origins.

Yes, it's dated, but also quite funny

Author: mountainkath from United States
3 October 2009

Yes, this movie is dated and yes, it has plot holes and ridiculous moments. But that doesn't matter. When I watch this movie I just go along with it and enjoy each moment.

May Robson, as always, is a delight. She is one of my very favorite supporting actresses and she does not disappoint here. Her funniest moments in this movie aren't even spoken...they are her reactions to all that is going on around her.

Priscilla Lane played the role of a sweet, innocent girl very well. (Random side note: at times her voice reminds me of Ginger Rogers.) The character of Ellen was a tad annoying at times (come on, what do you think Doug wanted to do in that cabin) but for the most part I enjoyed Ellen.

The character of Doug was not well developed at all. I suspect that was intentional since the focus of this movie was on the relationships between the women. I would have liked to see a bit more to Doug, though. All we really know about him is that he's going to Belgium to sell razors.

I did enjoy the side plot of the previous relationship between Ann and Jay. The character of Jay seemed out of place at times, but Roland Young was his usual marvelous self.

Yes, My Darling Daughter is a thoroughly entertaining movie. The subject manner is dated, but the movie kept my attention and even made me laugh out loud more than once.

Don't Say No To Yes

Author: timothymcclenaghan from United States
14 December 2006

Rounding up much of the cast of the popular, money-making film, "Four Daughters", Warners Bros. probably figured that it made sense to keep "teaming" Priscilla Lane with Jeffrey Lynn. In my opinion, they do play well opposite each other, as they did in the aforementioned film, and subsequent films in which they appeared together.

The material is dated to us, so take it in the context of the time in which the film was made. Consider it a period piece as you do when you watch films like "Patriot" or "Marie Antoinette". You expect actors to behave as they did in the time, and the plot to be consistent with the thinking of that era.

But, even taking all that into account, it's a so-so film. I suspect the Broadway play upon which the film is based, was toned down to meet censorship rules, and that must have weakened the story considerably.

So,don't blame the actors if this film doesn't come off as great cinema. Nevertheless, it's worth watching if you like the particular actors appearing in this film.

Priscilla Lane Leads Ensemble Cast

Author: Randy_D from Michigan
1 August 2001

While this story of an unmarried couple's weekend together is obviously tame by today's standards, Yes, My Darling Daughter does have a moment or two that is a bit on the racier side. Well, at least for the time it was made.

Led by the beautiful and unfairly underrated 'Lane, Priscilla' (qv), this movie has a good ensemble cast, with maybe the exception of Jeffrey Lynn.

While Lynn has been likable in his other movies with Priscilla Lane, i. e. _Four Daughters (1938)_ (qv) and _Roaring Twenties, The (1939)_ (qv), he doesn't come across as the most likeable character. Or the brightest, either. In other words, if Priscilla Lane asked me to spend a weekend with her, platonic or otherwise, I think I would show a little more enthusiasm than he did!

Anyway, Yes, My Darling Daughter is worth watching, thanks in no small part to the aforementioned Miss Lane.

Thoroughly Nauseating

Author: YakovDavid from Chicago, Illinois
17 March 2002

Based on a stage play and it really shows. (The characters in this movie talk and talk endlessly.)The situation, with our plucky heroine going off for the weekend with a boyfriend who is soon to leave for an overseas job, just might be seen as racy for the late thirties. It is made pretty clear early on that Priscilla Lane would just never do that sort of thing and not return as pure as the newly fallen snow, but everybody in this movie has to talk about it - her mom, her aunt, her dad, her grandmother (the hammy May Robson), the mom's old boyfriend from way back when (played by Roland Young - and what is he doing here anyway? His character's presence makes no sense at all)- and the quality of the talk is moralizing and dreadfully dull. (The movie is not helped at all by the presence of Jeffrey Lynn, just about the stodgiest and dullest young leading man this side of Ronald Reagan.) Priscilla Lane could be genuinely charming at times, but she doesn't have a chance against a lousy script and heavy-handed direction. See it once, if you really have to see have see every movie that Priscilla Lane ever made....