IMDb > Lady in Distress (1940) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lady in Distress More at IMDbPro »A Window in London (original title)

Minor, unusual murder mystery with London backgrounds

Author: kinekrom (kinekrom@yahoo.co.uk) from London, England
11 December 2004

From a train window, crane-driver Michael Redgrave thinks he sees a woman being strangled. What follows is an unusual and effective story involving a magician, his assistant wife and a subtle interplay of illusion and murder. Refreshingly directed by the overlooked Herbert Mason, and well performed throughout (particularly Redgrave and Sally Gray), this small gem benefits greatly from its varied and credible London backgrounds, including music halls (including magic shows), mundane work places not normally seen in British films of the period, and construction work on Waterloo Bridge, under which the National Film Theatre is situated (which is where I last saw this film).

Interesting View on London in 1939

Author: malcolmgsw from london
15 September 2012

This film is not just interesting for its intriguing story but also for its view of London in 1939 just before the outbreak of war.Many central areas around the Houses of Parliament and the Abbey are on view.Also of course the construction of the present Waterloo Bridge which has a distinctive modernist style quite unlike any other London Bridge.The film has many virtues and one failing.The story is very neat with a ending with a twist in it.I am surprised the censor let it through as of course crime had to be shown not to pay.The one failing is the casting of Michael Redfrave.A crane driver he is not.he is far too refined.In fact his is the least interesting role.Bt far the best and showiest is that of Paul Lukas who does well in what for him would become a stereotypical role.All round an extremely interesting and entertaining film.

Bridge Too Far

Author: writers_reign from London, England
26 September 2015

In the past decade I've watched several British films produced in the lat 1930s - including Climbing High which featured Michael Redgrave - and all were risible despite names like Ralph Richardson and Carol Reed adorning the credits so I wasn't expecting too much when I opted for this but as a great admirer of Michael Redgrave I went along and was presently surprised. It's not, of course, without flaws - Michael Redgrave is arguably the least convincing crane driver in the history of film and how many crane drivers sport a display handkerchief in the breast pocket of a suit and/or frequent West End night clubs, but if we overlook this - plus the fact that Redgrave, having seen what appears to be a murder through the window of 1) a train on which he is passenger and 2) the window of a flat in a large block, is then able to leave the train at the next station and identify not only the anonymous apartment block but also the flat in which the incident took place - we are left with a tasty little thriller, excellently cast with Paul Lukas and Sally Gray as the husband and wife in the window and Patricia Roc as Redgrave's wife. There's a fair amount of location shooting - Redgrave is actually helping construct Waterloo Bridge - and the scenes inside a theatre have a flair and polish sadly lacking in Hitchcock's similar attempts. Albert Prejean and Ginette Leclerc starred in the French original 'Metropolitan' which by all accounts was greatly inferior. I'd definitely buy this on DVD were it available.

Gilbert vs Dr. Harz Round Two

Author: howardmorley from United Kingdom
21 November 2014

In 1938 Paul Lukas and Michael Redgrave crossed swords in the acclaimed "The Lady Vanishes" and here two years on they have another bout with the illusionist Zoltini played by Paul Lukas and Michael Redgrave as Peter from their respective former roles of Dr.Harz and Gilbert.This time Patricia Roc plays Pat, Peter's wife while "hot totty" Sally Gray plays Vivienne married to Zoltini.Other reviewers have discussed the basic plot and no I won't provide a spoiler as there is a kick in the end of the film which is well produced.I wonder how many buildings survived the forthcoming blitz from 1940 onwards as there are some interesting shots of London filmed in 1939 with the tube trains running.

I found the screenplay somewhat contrived especially the scene where the tycoon misses his plane to Moscow which crashed because telephonist Pat failed to first warn him about his flight.However this incident gives the producer the excuse to follow the moral cinema code and enabled both Pat and Peter to go to both work together during the day and not continue with their "Cox & Box" sleeping arrangements.Peter had a job keeping his hands off Sally Gray's character and remembering his marriage vows.Offstage, blonde Sally Gray married a lord and lived to be 90 and her husband to 100!Imdb.com rated this film 6.9 when I wrote this review and I rated it 6 as above average.