IMDb > The Fresh Vegetable Mystery (1939) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Fresh Vegetable Mystery More at IMDbPro »

a truly clever little spud

Author: Mary-18
20 August 2001

Fresh Vegetable Mystery is indeed both cleverly a mystery and about fresh vegetables. Someone has kidnapped the carrot family, and the clever animation and characterizations had me quite anxious to discover who the culprit was. Because of the older age of this cartoon, you can tell that these filmmakers had a great deal more freedom than animated filmmakers of today. At one point, the potato police punish some vegetable-people by trapping them on top of a hot skillet. The depiction of this kind of torture would be unlikely to appear in any modern day cartoon targeted towards children, but it certainly is powerful here.

Potatoes And Puns Save The Day

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
17 July 2007

This is different: potato-people have the lead role. (This was long before Mr. Potato Head.) A Irish spud who is the cop summons the rest of his squad out of "Paddy's Potatoes" burlap bag to help find the missing carrots after some ghoulish-character steals them and causes chaos.

The animation is pretty weak but the story is original and certainly keeps your attention. Suspects are rounded up in a root beer bar and we see police brutality as a corn stalk is put into a toaster to get him to "pop," er talk. Pickled onions claim they are from Bermuda and know nothing. An orange is put in a squeezer and an egg who won't talk is put on a skillet "to fry."

The Irish potato cops are rough but at least they have a sense of humor with all the puns they use in torturing their victims. This cartoon probably would not be made today, although I never saw a Tom And Jerry cartoon, or a Roadrunner or a bunch of others that didn't have a ton of violence in them, either. That's just the way they were done back in the classic-film era. I don't know if that still holds true today. I wouldn't be surprised if today's cartoons are obsessed with sex instead of violence.

Potato police gets fooled

Author: Thomas ( from Berlin, Germany
25 August 2015

"The Fresh Vegetable Mystery" is a Dave Fleischer cartoon from almost 75 years ago. It basically shows us a crime that is committed on a bunch of carrots and the potato police has to step in. Unfortunately they are all idiots and manage to get nothing done instead of showing us an example of police brutality against an egg. So, in the end, all is mayhem in this 7-minute Dave Fleischer cartoon and there is no real justice done. The voicing is by Jack Mercer who is mostly known for his work on the dozens of Popeye short movies out there. All in all, this was not a particularly good watch, although there were some funny moments. Not recommended as a whole.

Boy did I HATE this cartoon

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
9 July 2006

It's rare that I see an old cartoon that I hate, but the Fleischer brothers (Paramount Studios) managed to bring out the old crank in me with this AWFUL short! And, the only reason it gets a score of 2 is because the basic concept is creative and the animation isn't bad--it's the execution that left me wanting to throw something at the TV! The cartoon involves a ton of talking vegetables who have faces, arms and legs, etc. And, about 500,000 times through this short cartoon they resort to the stupidest and most grating puns I have ever heard--often with two, three or four all strung together. I honestly think this cartoon COULD have been our secret weapon against Hitler in WWII if we had thought about it--it's THAT bad.