IMDb > Feud of the Range (1939) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Feud of the Range More at IMDbPro »

"Things are gonna start popping from now on!"

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
16 January 2010

It's another classic land grab scheme, with good guy Bob Steele turning the tables on villain Clyde Barton (Jack Ingram) and his top henchman Dirk (Charles King). Bob Gray (Steele) finds himself in the middle of a range feud instigated by Barton, with his own father on one side and neighboring Bar A rancher Harvey Allen (Frank LaRue) on the other. It's all pretty predictable with not a whole lot of thought put into the story, which was standard for these oaters. As one example, Steele's character gets his girlfriend's name wrong when he sees his father for the first time. Reacting to Tom Gray's insistence that Allen started the feud and that Bob was sticking up for them because he was sweet on Allen's daughter Madge, Steele comments "Helen's just as wrong as you are". Helen was the daughter of Pop Wilson, who Bob Gray and sidekick Happy (Budd Buster) just helped out of a jam with the bad guys.

There's also that scene when Happy brings two of Dirk's goons to the local jail - the sheriff asks him what's the charge, and Hap responds "Durned if I know". The sheriff locks them up anyway! Seems to me he could have made something up after he took the trouble to bring them into town.

However I think I got the biggest kick out of watching the color pattern shift on Bob Steele's horse. Maybe it was my imagination, but the white markings on his paint seemed to appear and disappear from scene to scene. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm hooked on these 'B' Westerns from way back, just to see all the goofy stuff they came up with to make things interesting. That, and lines like Happy had reacting to some bad guys taking it on the lam - "Anybody travelin' that fast is up to some mean".

Shoot first, in between wisecracks.

Author: mark.waltz from United States
4 December 2016

Dull B western dealing with a range war caused by the owners of a railroad line to keep future settlers out. It's up to hero Bob Steele to save the day. Filled with plenty of gun battles, set fires and fights, this never gets off the ground and ranks as perhaps one of the more un-interesting of the several hundred B westerns that I've seen. There are long silent moments where nothing seems to be happening, and little thought has been put into creating an intriguing plot line. The only real moments of intrigue are based more on temporary tension rather than anything concrete to keep interest. Obviously just rushed out to fill a quickie quota, it just stumbles along, going from conflict to conflict without regards to making a real impact.