IMDb > Sally Swing (1938) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sally Swing More at IMDbPro »

Among the best animated shorts ever

Author: zetes from Saint Paul, MN
17 September 2003

I love musical animated shorts, so I was pretty much guaranteed to love this one. However, I think the animation of the title character, Sally Swing, who is discovered by Betty Boop when she's looking for someone to lead the swing concert at a college, is superb. I've never seen more fluid dance animation anywhere. Highly recommended! 10/10.

Who voiced Sally Swing?

Author: durrant4145@rogers.com from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
26 January 2007

Who voiced Sally Swing? It could not have been Mae Questal, as the voice of the girl is too deep. And the character could not have been a caricature of Bette Grable because she had not become famous yet, although she would do so in two years' time when she starred in the movie DOWN ARGENTINE WAY (1940). I rather suspect that Alice Faye, who was Paramount's reigning musical star, both did the voice and allowed her movements to be rotoscoped for this short. She was one of the most famous women in the world at the time, so her face and appearance would be well-known, and she was working at Paramount, the company who later bought out the Fleisher brothers' studio. Paramount could have lent Alice to the Fleischer studio for the express purpose of making this short, SALLY SWING.