IMDb > Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb (1938) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb More at IMDbPro »

Come on...they are the three stooges!

Author: gue_gg_ila from Caracas, Venezuela
8 March 2005

Short film of The Three Stooges, back ago with Curly and the other two funny guys Moe and Larry. Curly wins a prize in the radio so they go and celebrate in a hotel, and as usual they destroy everything...

Three women(of course the exact number for each stooge)are pretending to be rich widowers in order to marry the three stooges(no explanation for why they knew that they were exactly 3 men accompanying Curly Howard), at the end they found out that because of taxes the prize Curly won was only of 4 dollars, so no wedding, no girls and no money!

Overall entertaining, especially because it is 15 minutes long...and it just makes you laugh.

Lucky in love, lucky at cards?

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
16 May 2016

"Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb" is a Three Stooges short film that will have its 80th anniversary in 2 years from now, so it was made briefly before the outbreak of World War II and they are still unpolitical in this one. Curly wins the great prize and the trio meets three young and beautiful woman. But it wouldn't be the Stooges if things really were that golden and shiny. This one is in black-and-white as usual and runs for 16.5 minutes, also as usual with these Stooges short films. I have seen many of their works and many I did not like because sometimes their humour and slapstick comedy (especially Curly's) is just over the top and not really funny, but this one here has a couple good moments, for example Moe destroying the vase was pretty hilarious. Always nice to see him deliver funny stuff too that goes beyond punching the other too. Like I already said, Curly is in here, so this is one of their earlier works. And also one of their better, I believe. Thumbs up.

A collapsed bed, a broken vase, a monkey, three gold diggers, and plenty of taxes!

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
24 January 2008

Directed by the great Del Lord, "Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb" is an excellent Three Stooges comedy. Curly wins $50,000 via a radio contest, so he and his two partners decide to rent an elegant suite at a posh hotel. Major mistake!

Highlights: Curly's "bunk bed" collapses on Moe. Moe and Curly mistake glue for pancake syrup. Curly drinks champagne until it gushes out of his ears. The Stooges plan to douse the hotel manager (James C. Morton) and the house detective (Bud Jamison) with champagne, but they accidentally splash three beautiful gold diggers who live down the hall.

"Healthy, Wealthy and Dumb" was later remade as "A Missed Fortune" (1952), with Shemp stepping into Curly's role.

Great Three Stooges short!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
28 September 2004

The Three Stooges has always been some of the many actors that I have loved. I love just about every one of the shorts that they have made. I love all six of the Stooges (Curly, Shemp, Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe)! All of the shorts are hilarious and also star many other great actors and actresses which a lot of them was in many of the shorts! In My opinion The Three Stooges is some of the greatest actors ever and is the all time funniest comedy team!

This is a hilarious Three Stooges short in My opinion. The Stooges are so funny. Jean Carmen, Lucille Lund, and Earlene Heath all perform well and they look excellent! Bud Jamison and James C. Morton were good. Also appearing is Bobby Burns! There is another Three Stooges short with Shemp very similar like this one called A Missed Fortune. I strongly recommend both!