IMDb > Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 13: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Great Great Film!

Author: Norma7 from USA
23 October 2002

I rate this film very highly. It is entertaining, interesting and even inspirational. You will know what I mean when you see the film, and you should see it! I am trying to see all of Cagney's films.Hope to see White Heat next. I really like the old films like this better than most new ones. Old ones get the message across without bad language.

My Top Five Of All Time

Author: Emilio Rivera (leftys48@cs.com) from Los Angeles, California
18 April 2002

One of My favorite movies of all time ,Cagney,Bogie,and the Eastside Kids at their best,"what do you hear,what do you say" is a classic Cagney line,and at the end of the film ,leaves you thinking if he is really scared ,or if he really is doing it for the kids ,if you ask me it was for the kids ,Cuz,Look see Ol Rocky was'nt Yella See.

What A Great Way To Discover Cagney's Genius

Author: Mcfly-30 (martywurst@hotmail.com) from hollywood, ca
7 April 2002

I've only seen little snippets of Cagney stuff in the past, usually in random film montages, but I finally decided to rent one of his flicks. This was a great film. The setup hooked me into the story instantly and I couldn't help, but marvel at Cagney's presence onscreen, which is intimidating, evil, hilarious and very very dangerous.

I thought the relationship between Cagney and his old girlfriend was a little hard to swallow, but other than that I was mystified, especially by a tough ending that I don't think I'll ever forget. What a great cast too, the young ones were surprisingly realistic and all held their own. Definately worth a rental, purchase-whatever. I'll be checking out more Cagney stuff in the future.

Archetypes without cliches

Author: pderocco from Pacific Palisades, CA
4 March 2002

It's awfully hard to tell a story of archetypal characters without descending into stock cliches, but this movie does it deftly. In fact, it isn't just the characters that embody symbols deeply embedded in our psyches, but the surroundings too: the tenement, the church, the pool hall, the speakeasy, the jail, the electric chair. In this case, the starkness of the symbols actually heightens the power of the story. This is definitely in my all-time top ten.

Magnificent!

Author: Elizabeth (endofroad2@aol.com) from NY
18 April 2000

I love this movie! James Cagney and Pat O'Brien are great as childhood ruffians Rocky Sullivan and Jerry Connolly, who grow up very differently because Rocky lands in jail. When he gets out, he discovers that Jerry is now a priest, which could spoil the friendship between the guys. This could mean trouble, since the two friends have Irish tempers!

I also like Humphrey Bogart in the role of Frazier, the slimy lawyer of Rocky. Since Bogie usually played a tough guy with a heart of gold, this was a nice change! Also, brilliant directing by Michael Curtiz, who worked with Bogart in "Casablanca" and "We're No Angels".

"Angels with Dirty Faces" is a fantastic movie for anyone, whether you're a fan of "tough guy" movies or not. So I give it a 10 out of 10, because it's a must see!

Brilliant

Author: Matt Carpenter (aeroquiddity@yahoo.com) from Hamlet, North Carolina
13 December 1999

A brilliant, superb film about two friends: one grew up to be a priest; the other, a crook. James Cagney is in top criminal form in the powerful and gripping drama. Pat O'Brien gives a good performance as his childhood friend, a priest who wishes to save Cagney's soul. Humphrey Bogart is good as Cagney's partner in crime. I would definitely recommend this classic film.

Cagney shines

Author: Keith Burnage from Ottawa, Canada
4 November 1999

WARNING THE ENDING IS GIVEN AWAY BELOW

A real typical film espousing the dangers of a life of crime, but at the same time showing that redemption is possible. James Cagney (Rocky Sullivan) is the real standout in this film, his co-star Pat O'Brien (The Rev. Jerry Connolly) is over shadowed by Cagneys acting. The film also has a good supporting cast, The Dead End Kids who worship Cagney, Humphrey Bogart (James Frazier) playing another of his early criminal sleazy roles who gets his come-uppance in the end, with Ann Sheridan (Laury Ferguson) playing Cagney's love interest. The most memorable moment comes at the end as Cagney, after rejecting O'Briens request to go to his death as a coward to make him seem a lesser man to the kids who admirered him, is lead off to his death. We watch as he goes from the tough as nails criminal laughing at death, to a weeping coward as they strap him in and let him fry.

Solid

Author: George Tetsel (citizenkane@lycosmail.com) from New York
4 October 1999

This is a solid gangster flick out of the gritty 1930's. James Cagney of course is brilliant, and a poignant ending makes up for a bit of heavy-handedness in the part of 'Father Jeremy'. It's funny to see Bogart not in control. All-in-all a classic.

A great film showing how delicate fate can be.

Author: ThMadman from Boston, MA
3 July 1999

A great film which has earned its place as a timeless classic, as it deals with one of the most timeless of subjects; the evolution of human character.

Where it is all too easy to work with the black and white concept of good vs. evil, this movie intensely covers all the shades of gray in between. It also very successfully portrays how seemingly insignificant events can bring about radical changes in a person's life. The lead characters, Gangster Rocky Sullivan and The Rev. Jerry Connolly, were performed brilliantly. Not your typical sinner and saint, these were "every-man" type characters with subtle and complex personalities. Overall, this movie is as entertaining as it is thought-provoking.

Yet Another Classic Cagney Flick

Author: noahax from Los Angeles
21 April 1999

This film definitely deserves its status as a classic. There are a few slow parts, such as a basketball scene that overstays its welcome by several minutes, but Cagney's great performance more than makes up for any flaws. The final moments are quite riveting.

Page 10 of 13: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]