IMDb > Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Angels with Dirty Faces

Angels with Dirty Faces More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 13: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

"You know you cost me a lot of prayer."

Author: classicsoncall from United States
11 December 2005

For me, it's hard to separate James Cagney from the character he created as Rocky Sullivan, the street wise punk who becomes a master criminal in "Angels With Dirty Faces". It's one of his quintessential roles, and one that sears itself into memory from the classic heyday of Warner Brothers crime and gangster dramas. Watching it just once leaves you thinking "Whaddya hear, whaddya say?" for days following; would that a current film could leave such an impact.

The story follows the exploits of young hood Rocky after he takes the rap for a stockyard train car break in, while buddy Jerry (Pat O'Brien) high tails it on a quicker pair of legs. A montage of scenes depicts his graduation into a life of crime, making a name for himself while the jail sentences get longer and longer. Finding himself back in the old Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, Rocky takes up with a local gang, the familiar wise cracking Dead End Kids. They come to idolize the man who makes a mockery of the law, even as he knocks a few of their heads under the watchful eye of Father Connelly, the young Jerry grown up as the local parish priest.

With Cagney and O'Brien heading the cast, it's easy to forget that another Warner heavyweight is part of the action. Humphrey Bogart usually took a back seat to fellow actors Cagney and Edward G. Robinson in the films they appeared in together. Bogie worked with Cagney three times, also supporting him in "The Oklahoma Kid", and sharing equal footing in another crime film, "The Roaring Twenties". Here, Bogie's character is Jim Frazier, a former Sullivan ally and now a top shelf lawyer for crime boss Mac Keefer (George Bancroft). Both run afoul of Rocky's temper and allegiance to friend Father Jerry, even as the priest threatens to expose the whole lot of them for the corrupt criminals they are.

Also turning in a fine but very brief performance is the lovely Ann Sheridan; her best bit comes early when she gets her revenge on Rocky for a childhood torment. She comes to grow fond of Rocky, but their relationship is not enough to keep him out of trouble.

I get a kick out of studying the different styles of gun play in both Western and gangster films. Cowboy Wild Bill Elliott usually "threw" his six shooter in the direction he was firing, while characters like the Lone Ranger usually just aimed and fired. Cagney has perhaps the most manic style in film, with a wild pumping motion as he lets the opposition have it.

As usually found in the Warner Brother movies of the era, civic and moral dilemmas are generally solved with right winning out in the end. As Rocky prepares to walk the last mile with Father Jerry by his side, he's challenged to find "the kind of courage born in heaven". The camera work and lighting is exemplary in those final minutes, as Jerry implores Rocky to take a final courageous stand. As Rocky's face sneeringly appears dead on into the camera for one last time, it's followed shortly after by his anguished cries for pardon and escape from death. Rocky dies a "yellow rat", his execution leaving a question mark for the viewer to provide his own interpretation. If you can suppress a tear for the condemned Rocky Sullivan at this point, the film hasn't worked it's magic on you.

"Angels With Dirty Faces" is one of my all time favorites, and a must see for Cagney and Dead End Kids fans. The young toughs usually found themselves in some fairly sappy adventures, and the films in which they starred generally fail to satisfy. Here however, they're great in a support role, and get their comeuppance more than once at the hands of a master. That's why they're more than willing in the end to accompany Father Jerry when he says - "OK fellas, let's go and say a prayer for a boy who couldn't run as fast as I could."

Cagney in an an Iconic Gangster Role

Author: dglink from Alexandria, VA
25 April 2005

James Cagney first portrayed a gangster in "Public Enemy" and began to create an indelible screen image as a tough guy, which endured despite occasional forays into lighter fare like "Footlight Parade" and "Yankee Doodle Dandy." In the late 1940's, he took his gangster image into middle age and to the edge of madness in "White Heat." But his portrayal of Rocky Sullivan in "Angels with Dirty Faces" is the perfect embodiment of James Cagney, the screen's peerless tough guy. Cocky, arrogant, remorseless, Cagney's Rocky is an iconic portrayal of the 1930's gangster. Despite great support from Pat O'Brien, Anne Sheridan, and Humphrey Bogart, the film is Cagney's show, although he is off the screen much of the time. As the boy who did not run fast enough from a crime, was caught by the police, sent to reform school, and learned to be a criminal, Cagney dominates the film. He is the corrupt reflection of the O'Brien character, who was Rocky's boyhood friend, outran the police, and eventually became a priest. The film pits the two friends against each other in adulthood for the minds and souls of a group of young boys, who are amusingly played by Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, and the rest of the Dead End kids. The film builds to a powerful climax that is a classic scene in cinema history. The final powerful images and dialog will haunt the viewer and leave him or her to ponder whether or not Rocky had honored his lifelong friend's final request or not.

"Always remember: Don't be a sucker" - Rocky Sullivan

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
18 September 2006

This crime/drama concerns two childhood friends that both grew up in Hell's Kitchen back in 1920th. Jerry Connelly (O'Brien) became a parish priest and the other, Rocky Sullivan (Cagney) – the career criminal. The Angels of the title are the neighborhood boys whom Father Jerry tries to save from lives of crime and who have come to idolize the tough, fast, furious and cool guy Rocky. Yes, Cagney's Rocky was a criminal but one could not help rooting for him in every scene of the movie which he stole from the rest of the cast. Cagney is riveting as Rocky. When he talks, you want to listen, when he walks, you want to follow. Who would blame the Dead End Kids for wanting to be like him? Father Jerry does not blame them but he tries his best not to let that happened...

"Angels with Dirty Faces" is a great movie, a true classic that combines an excellent crime movie with the characters like crooked lawyer (Humphrey Bogard) and corrupt politician (George Bancroft) with whom Rocky formed a doomed business alliance and a very human and compelling drama of two best friends, the choices they made, the roads they took and where the roads brought them. Great directing, writing, acting from everyone and absolutely brilliant performance from James Cagney.

It's great......as Cagney always was......

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
15 April 2005

This is very well made, especially that ending. They didn't monkey around here, they let you know exactly what happens w/ the electric chair, pretty strong stuff for a 1938 flick. I am of the opinion that he faked the terror for his old pal O'Brien's sake, but of course others think otherwise. No matter--it's a chilling scene.

The kids-Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, etc-essentially are the Stooges just younger, but as believable a street gang as you will find for such an old flick. (I also enjoyed seeing the contrast of old style Hoop vs the way it's played today--they ever hear of dribbling??) Weaknesses-well not many. O'Brien is a block of wood, rarely impresses me unfortunately. I wasn't so sure that Ann Sheridan would fall for Cagney given their history, and it's true she isn't given that much to do after awhile.

Bogie was fun as a sniveling 'shyster' while George Bancroft made for a Claude Akins like baddie, I always think of him as the sheriff in 'Stagecoach'.

Michael Curtiz made many great films-Casablanca and Robin Hood amongst'em-this one ranks up there too.

*** outta ****. Cagney is great!

Classic Cagney, Classic Cinema.

Author: RF456 from Canada
31 January 2005

I'd always heard about how great an actor James Cagney was, but had never seen any of his films. So I decided to rent this one from the local video store. After watching it I was astounded at how great an actor he is. This has to be his defining movie. Cagney plays a very believable gangster named Rocky Sullivan and I think his performance alone could have made this movie good. He had a screen presence that very few actors, other than say John Wayne or Clint Eastwood have had. His performance combined with an excellent script, superb direction and great supporting performances, make for a movie that defines excellence in film-making from the golden age of cinema. If you want to see a James Cagney movie or just want to watch an old black and white classic, then this is the one to get!

tough and dirty

Author: (willrams@earthlink.net) from Santa Maria, CA
23 October 2002

I saw this today on TV and have seen it dozens of times before. James Cagney gives a startling performance as the conniving tough guy, and the Dead End Kids (remember them) are all there with their street smart personalities. However, the stars are all there for Warner Brothers, too. There are Humphrey Bogart, Pat O'Brien, Ann Sheridan, and Barton MacLane. As usual Cagney gets his comeuppance at the end with great emotion; and to think that Cagney started as a song and dance man; and winning the Academy Award for Yankee Doodle Dandy.

Masterpiece

Author: Gino-10 from Virginia Beach, Virginia
6 September 1999

This movie is simply a masterpiece, a classic story of two kids who grow up on different sides of the law. Cagney, as Rocky, gave his best performance, only to outdo himself a decade later in the 1949 film noir classic "White Heat". The execution scene at the end is classic, the second best movie ending of all time. Of course the best ending was from, once again, "White Heat" where he blows himself up,along with an oil refinery. "I'm on top of the world,Ma!!!!"

Angels With Filthy Souls

Author: Michael M (mmallon4@gmail.com) from Northern Ireland
13 November 2014

One of the things I love most about Angels with Dirty Faces is that proposes the age old idea of a person's entire destiny being defined by one single event. The fact that Jerry (Pat O'Brien) could run faster than his childhood friend Rocky (James Cagney) while being chased by the police for a petty crime, would determine the paths they would take in life. If only Rocky could climb over that fence, things would have been so much different.

I'm a huge fan of the Warner Bros gangster movies of the 1930's, and Angels with Dirty Faces is probably the most classic of these movies In that it gets referenced and spoofed most in popular culture. These films deal with social issues, many of which are still relevant today. When I hear current news stories about crime and social issues, I often find myself thinking "They dealt with that in an old 30's crime/gangster film". Angels with Dirty Faces is no exception. Rocky Sullivan was never truly a criminal, but his stay at a reformatory for his petty crime turned him into one.

However Pat O'Brien's role of Father Jerry Connolly presents an incredibly stark contrast with today's common place media reports of priests molesting boys. I find it fascinating to see a movie in which a member of clergy is presented as someone who is treated with the utmost respect and entirely trustworthy, of course this being an attempt to appease the Legion of Decency.

The Dead End Kids give Cagney an element to his performance few other actors would rarely get the chance to express. Cagney delivers what I consider to be the third best performance of his career (after White Heat and Yankee Doodle Dandy). However for most other actors, this performance would rank as their best performance; Cagney is just that phenomenal here.

Humphrey Bogart also appears in a pre-stardom supporting role. Despite only appearing in several scenes he nearly upstages Cagney with his enigmatic screen presence.

Michael Curtiz is undoubtedly one of the greatest craftsmen of Hollywood's golden age (after all, in this same year he directed one of the most perfect things ever created, The Adventures of Robin Hood). The final climatic scene of Angels with Dirty Faces alone is a masterpiece of cinematography. Here Curtiz creates a criminal underworld which is hard not to get sucked into. We might not want to emulate gangsters, but we can't help but be fascinated by them.

Sets the bar for mobster movies

Author: pcrprimer from Canada
10 April 2014

I didn't know much about this movie when I watched this. I had heard of the Humphrey Bogart, but not James Cagney. Although the movie was made in the 30s, the plot is something that could be of a movie that was just released in the 80s, 90s, or now. This is truly Cagney's movie, and he steals every scene that he's in. As a viewer, you can't help but cheer for him. I feel that his main love interest isn't really fleshed out. We learn that she comes from a troubled past, but not much more. A few scenes that stand out are the pharmacy assassination attempt, and obviously the well-known scene where the priest asks something of Rocky that he doesn't want to give.

The World's Hope

Author: AbhiMathews from Canada
16 February 2014

In my mind, there is no title more apt for this film than "Angels with Dirty Faces." Every person has a little bit of good in them; they just might not display it until the time arises. We also do a lot of fun and daring things growing up. We learn from them and move forward, and this movie beautifully depicts how people with similar childhoods can diverge to live such different lives.

This movie truly demonstrates how important both our experiences and upbringing are in moulding our futures. Ruffians initially, people can become saintly priests or remain criminals. Despite their different paths, though, it is important to note people do not simply forget their pasts. The relationships we make throughout our lives do not simply diminish as time progresses; instead, we learn to value and cherish what we once had.

The world needs good people. To help with the injustices happening today and to nurture the next generations. Throughout Angels with Dirty Faces, we see a priest working tirelessly and honestly to support local youths, trying to ensure they learn proper morals and respect the world they live in. This movie shows a man fighting the good fight despite the world turning against him, and when his troublesome friend arrives, plans take a turn.

Watching this movie is a truly humbling experience. It's always nice to remember that there are good people out there who are willing to work and take the extra mile for humanity. Even the people you'd least expect can surprise you in the most dire situation.