IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

A true masterpiece!

Author: Shannon from So*Cal
25 September 1999

This must be regarded as Walt Disney's best!

I love this film and it is one of my favorite Disney movies. The characters are unforgettable and the songs stick in your head (hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...).

I love the voice talents, especially the one for the evil queen and Snow White. Grumpy steals the show as the moody dwarf as well as Dopey, the silent but funny dwarf.

I recommend this movie to not just kids, but to EVERYONE.

A true classic

Author: Bob-376 from Eastbourne, Sussex
13 February 1999

The classic of all classics! This film is as visually stunning now as when it was first released in the thirties. The story is heartwarming and it has some truly charming songs in it. The dwarfs are good and it does have the most wonderful Disney ending.

As new as it was when it was released

Author: Benedetto Cataldi (benedettocataldi@hotmail.com) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
10 February 1999

This is really an extraordinary piece of work. You simply cannot believe the beauty of the shots, the brightness of colours, and the experimental abstract qualities of some of the most famous sequences. A real treat, and as new today as it always has been. Did you know that it would have taken 250 years for one single man to make Snow White? Michelangelo only needed 10 for the Sistine Chapel! See it again and again, you will always be astonished. And if you really want to be amazed, try and freeze frame it, and you will enjoy the beauty of every single drawing, particularly in the sequences of Snow White in the woods, and of the queen becoming a witch. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

It must be said!

Author: emdt from Denmark
5 January 1999

Snow White and the seven Dwarfs is Walt Disney´s masterpiece and the greatest movie ever made! Not like the money-grabbing **** the Disney company brainwashes our children with these days. Walt Disney must be spinning in his grave/deepfreezer.

And I suppose `The Pickwick Papers' was Charles Dickens's best novel

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia
4 January 2000

What was the first X-rated animated film? Most people who have any kind of clue at all would say `Fritz the Cat', but they'd be wrong. It's `Snow White'! - which received the equivalent of an X-rating in South Africa. (Parts of it ARE grisly, even if the Grimm brothers' story was more grisly still: in the story, the Queen asked for Snow White's lungs and liver - with the intention of eating them.) This should dispel anyone's idea that the film is all cloying sentimentality.

Here's another one: `Gone with the Wind' was the biggest box office hit of the 1930s, but what was the second biggest? Oh, well, I guess everyone here knows the answer to that one. It must be said that the second-biggest hit deserved its success far more than the first.

`Snow White' can boast other things, too. But let's not get carried away and say that in addition it's the BEST film of the 1930s, or the best animated film of all time, or Disney's supreme masterpiece, or something silly of that kind. It clearly isn't any of these things. Let's distinguish between `good considering that it's a first effort' and good simpliciter, and see how `Snow White' rates.

Many things are good simpliciter. Although the visual spectacle is dwarfed by that of `Pinocchio' and `Fantasia' - to name but two - it's still visual spectacle, and it still works. Some of the special effects can still startle us. (I have absolutely no idea how they managed to get that shot of Snow White's reflection in well, for instance.) The art direction vividly creates a world of cosy dwellings surrounded by choking forest. The use of colour is as marvellous and subtle as anything the studio produced after 1942 (if not quite up to the standards set by `Fantasia' or `Bambi'). In fact, every single feature after `101 Dalmations' (1961) fails to measure up to `Snow White' so far as colour is concerned. A muted, watercolour effect (achieved WITHOUT actual watercolours) is enlivened by the rare splash of brilliance on the Queen's cape or on the poisoned apple, but there's more to it than that. Note how we're not shown a wide palette of colours until the dwarfs appear, when it seems that every hue under the sun makes its way onto the screen. The dwarfs are the only rounded characters, representing, between them, all aspects of humanity. (Brilliantly animated, by the way.) It's surprising, or perhaps it isn't, that in an age in which computers allow art directors to fiddle around with the colour balance as much as they like, no-one seems to be able to use colour nearly so effectively.

But there are also signs that the art wasn't yet ripe. The most obvious one is the limited range: `Snow White' never does anything more than a particularly good pantomime might do (which is more than you might think), and while this isn't even a flaw, it does mean that the film simply can't compare with the broader masterpieces Disney produced immediately afterwards (`Pinocchio', `Fantasia', `Dumbo', `Bambi'). In 1937, Disney (and Hand and everyone else at the studio) still didn't know what to do to make a well-proportioned cartoon over an hour in length. After the dwarfs have been around for a while the film starts to lose its way. It even has to resort to title-card narration, indicating that while the first part of the story had been thought through properly, the rest hadn't been. And there are minor technical difficulties throughout, with awkward animation of Snow White here, a clumsy use of the multiplane camera there.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely film, among the better ones the studio has produced. We do it no service when we exaggerate its virtues.

favorite animated movie of all time

Author: orraaron
10 June 2017

This is just astounding how beautifully animated this movie is for 1937. It is a timeless tale and has set the bar for animated movies since then. Disney love them or hate them Have made the majority of the worlds most timeless animated movies throughout history. There are tons of animated movies now a days that can't even come close to this nearly 100 years later. Amazing, just simply amazing! This movie is an artistic masterpiece.

Mirror mirror on the wall.......

Author: Davis P from United States
26 April 2017

Disney's first feature film!! Hard to believe this thing was released in 1937 when my grandparents were just toddlers. This classic is of course the story of princess Snow White, the FAIREST in the land, and her being on the run from the evil queen who desires to be the fairest in the land. She plots to kill Snow White so that she can be the fairest, but as in all Disney animated classic, good will always win, and there's a handsome prince to help. This classic fairytale still holds up today, it's great animation, ESPECIALLY for 1937! It's very fun and entertaining, complete with catchy songs and well written characters like the dwarfs. The dwarfs are: Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy, and Dopey. They all of course behave exactly like their name and they work in a nearby mine, they stroll in single file every day singing their work song, hi ho hi ho..... Snow White stumbles upon them and their cottage and she begins to stay there with her while in hiding from the evil queen. The evil queen, who is a FANTASTIC Disney villain all the while is plotting a way to kill Snow White. I love the scene where she creates an elixir that will transform her into an ugly old hag so that snow will not recognize her as she offers a poisoned apple. One of the best scenes in animated movies if you ask me. Overall everyone knows about this Disney classic and if you or your family have not seen it then what are you waiting for lol. I highly suggest watching if you if you have younger children because they will LOVE it! Perfect for a family movie night with young kids. 9/10.

Disney's First Feature

Author: colm-hearne365 from Ireland
3 March 2017

It's hard to believe this movie is Disney's first animated feature and it's even hard to believe that it's nearly 80-years-old. But it still holds up even today and it was a nice start for Disney. I mean it has catchy songs, lovable characters (especially Dopey), funny humour and lovely animation (even though it's a little dated compared to today's animation) and charming music.

The characters of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs are all charming, lovable and memorable. They all stand out in there own way, but my favourite is Dopey even though he doesn't say anything but as Walt Disney himself put it "He's nice but sort of silly". But that's what I like about him; he's clumsy and funny.

This film is a classic in it's own way and it was one of the highest grossing films ever around the time it was first released. And it's enjoyable for both kids and adults. And it's also one of the few films that made me cry. I mean, yes, the film made me smile a lot because it's such a charming feature but the scene where Snow White is in sleeping death and seeing the seven dwarfs crying was such a sad scene and it made me cry as well. But it's ending is very uplifting when the Prince kisses Snow White and breaks the sleeping death and they all live happily ever after.

First feature length cartoon

Author: Smoreni Zmaj from Serbia
2 November 2016

First feature-length animated film that laid the foundation stone for Disney company and genre itself. If this movie failed Disney company probably would never get off the ground and dozens of masterpieces would never see light of the day. It is questionable if we would even have this genre today. Success of this movie encouraged other companies to take this path and enrich childhoods of many generations.

Movie was made for 4 years, 2 million $ was spent and it made profit of around 200 millions and won bunch of awards. Masterpiece of art that laid the foundation of new genre, resisted the test of time and till this day it keeps its place at the top of best movies of all times. Despite the progress of technology, even after 80 years, there are few cartoons that reached this level. These days cartoons are not made by hand and production process is much faster and easier, but movies are mostly tragically bad. That's sad. By today's standards I would give it 8/10, but considering that it was hand made 80 years ago and influence it has on everything that came after even 10/10 is not enough.

And of course, we must not forget fantastic songs led by Heigh-Ho.

And they lived happily ever after

Author: Realrockerhalloween from United States
27 August 2016

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who"s the fairest one of all? The Queen asks everyday to to her trusted enchanted mirror who always replies that she is until one day another name is given.

What I enjoy about Walt Disney's classic fairy tale is true beauty comes from within. The Queen is stunningly beautiful, but on the inside an ugly witch who wants nothing more then to destroy her step daughter who was pretty within, caring and sensitive. Snow White cares for the men who took her in, cleans their house, cooks dinner and pumps them up everyday before they go off to work in the diamond mines while her mother takes life for granted.

The visuals are stunning, the music enchanting and the characters enduring making it a true testament to filmaking with limited technology available at the time.

A problem I had with the story itself is the prince who was the only one not fleshed out or given personality and only there to serve as a love interest. He's bland, boring and perfect without any flaws making the romance feel a little rushed. The first half was exciting as Snow runs for her life, meeting her prince and the huntsmen's death, but it mellows out once she reaches the closet stuck with chores to do.

I was captivated by the evilness the Queen displayed with her suave body language, her shivering crackle and frightening transformation into an old hag straight out of tales from the crypt.

While there have been complaints from special interest groups on the artist merit of the picture and its portrayal of women I found her to be the most courageous, brave and daring of them all.