IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 10 of 19: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

The First Animated Film

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
7 December 2013

Walt Disney's first animated feature-length film is a charming(no pun intended!) tale about how Snow White flees the wrath of a powerful, but jealous and evil Queen, to the forest, where she finds refuge in the home of seven dwarfs(Dopey, Doc, Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, and Grumpy) who are at first startled by her unexpected arrival, but become stalwart allies as the Queen locates her, putting her into a deep sleep after eating a poisoned apple that only the kiss of Prince Charming can wake her from, and leading to a memorable mountaintop climax. Superb animation(when it was still painstakingly hand drawn) is the highlight. Sure, the story is quite thin, but so richly and vividly put across that it doesn't matter. A classic, and one of the best of its kind.

Vanity Run Amok In The Land Of Weirdos

Author: Ryan Ellis from Toronto, Canada
22 November 2013

The Queen should've just looked into her mirror---and stopped listening to her mirror---to see that she is indeed fairer than Snow White. I mean, judging 76-year-old cartoon characters on the basis of hotness is kinda creepy, but I'll risk creep accusations. The Queen is a babe. Too bad she's a murderous psycho who's obsessed with winning a beauty contest. It's like she's trying to one-up her mirror. "I'll show you who's more subjectively beautiful, you glass devil!" We're all a little vain sometimes, but don't you have a kingdom to run, lady?

Not that the dwarfs are above reproach either. They're sitting on a fortune in gems and they aren't even spending any of it to improve their lot in life...or the lot of those less fortunate than them. Plus, they tend to wallow in filth. Geez, what a motley cast of characters. Snow White is one of the shallowest movie characters in history, but she should have just bailed on ALL these weirdos. Take the hardworking woodland creatures and split for Oz or Neverland or Belize.

But I do love this movie. Irrationally, really. It's the dwarfs! Dopey is the cutest nitwit of all time and Grumpy is pretty much always right. Snow White DOES bring them misery and they would've been saved a lot of heartache if they'd just kicked her out. Still, it's sweet that even Grumpy relents. How can you not relent and fall for this gorgeous little trifle of a movie? The American Film Institute sure did, putting Snow & The 7 on five of its Best Of compilations, including both of the "100 Years, 100 Movies" lists.

So, yes, the Queen is evil and everyone else in this movie is absurdly pure at heart, but I still think I'd like to live under the Queen's reign. Apparently she spends most of her time gossiping with a mirror and not, you know, doing her job. You could get away with murder, maybe even step-daughtericide! The Queen herself almost does.

If you dug this snapshot review, check out the website I share with my wife (www.top100project.com) and go to the "Podcasts" section for our 31-minute Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs 'cast...and many others. Or find us on Itunes under "Top 100 Project".

Classic First Full-Length Animated Feature Film.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
8 October 2013

This is the first full-length animated feature film from Walt Disney. As a kid, I had wanted to watch this movie in its entirety for the longest time, and didn't get a chance to see it until it was released on video, finally, in the 1990s.

This film was better than I had expected, with catchy and sweet music (especially the Dwarf's Silly Song), memorable characters and beautiful sceneries and animation. This is what I think the best adaptation of this classical fairytale. Songs that you grew up with were probably introduced in this movie like Heigh-Ho and Whistle While You Work.

This story really portrays the gentleness, kind-heartiness, beauty and innocence of Snow White and the silliness, humor, yet selfless characteristics of the Seven Dwarfs. The movie also did a good job in portraying the mystery, eerie and horror surrounding the Evil Queen and her chamber full of black magic. The design for the Queen and the Magic Mirror is the best in any adaptation of this fairytale - animated or in real life.

This is the perfect film to start off a long list of Disney's Full Length Animated Feature Films. When comparing this film and the more current ones, you can see how far these films have come and the difference in style. While some of the newer films are great, others are sub-par, and none can surpass those films, including this one, that had Walt Disney's personal touch.

If you are a Disney fan or an animation/family movie genre fan in general, this movie is a must-see for you.

Grade A

The Fairest of them All

Author: hpotter1397 from Boston, MA
10 August 2013

No one believed it would succeed. Everyone called it "Disney's Folly". And yet, it was a giant money maker, grossing over $8 million, established its creator as a master filmmaker, and created a genre, changing history forever. "Beauty and the Beast", "The Lion King", "Toy Story", and "Finding Nemo" all owe to this movie: "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

Released in 1937 and re-released in 1944, 1952, 1958, 1967, 1975, 1983, 1987 (50th anniversary), and 1993, "Snow White" has charmed audiences for decades. But is it the classic everyone hails it as? Yes, it is. "Snow White" stands out as one of the best films in the Disney canon. We all know the story, so I'm not going to write it all out, just use IMDb's synopsis: Snow White, pursued by a jealous queen, hides with the Dwarfs; the queen feeds her a poison apple, but Prince Charming awakens her with a kiss.

The animation in the film is gorgeous, even by today's standard (save the Huntsman and the Prince, they look somewhat odd). Snow White genuinely looks like a young girl, and the Queen looks like a real woman. The way the Dwarfs are drawn is enjoyable, and so are the characters. Snow White is kind, cheerful, good with animals, and has a good personality (not to mention the fact she became a mother to the Seven Dwarfs - a tough job). The Dwarfs are all memorable and lovable, with Grumpy and Dopey being the most liked. The Queen is a great villain. Her drive to kill a young girl so she can be the most beautiful, which makes her go insane is incredibly disturbing and creepy, and the way she looks as the Witch is great. The film's music and songs are also perfect and memorable, with "Heigh-ho" and "Someday my Prince will Come" as the standouts. This is also perfectly paced, with sweet moments, scary moments, and time for character development.

So, what else can I say? Gorgeous animation, memorable characters, perfect music, and a brilliantly constructed plot. A true cinematic masterpiece not to be missed.

A good fairy tale

Author: pelicansmailbox-742-14343 from India
29 July 2013

dear sir,I like to read about fairy tales whether shortened or in a long form.I think animation movies are good.I think there were animation stories from kerala and from India,where I reside.I think animation stories are good for the entire family-maybe only a few get a x certificate-ie for those who are particular.I think Walt Disney was a good maker of animation movies.I think animation movies are good,I guess that there was a animation movie called gatotkatcha in Hindi which is about a character from the Indian Mahabharata-well he was the son of Bhima who was of great help in the pandavas fight against the kauravas.In the clash he died like a true hero.He had a lot of magical power-he used to dispatch weapons from heaven,though he was born someone like a ogre-i guess he fought on the virtuous side.thanks

"Snow White" - the one that started it all

Author: Chris Mizerak
21 June 2013

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a significant piece of American film history for many reasons. Chief among them that it was the first full-length animated feature ever made. This film was responsible for influencing other landmark fantasy films such as "The Wizard of Oz" (1939) and "Star Wars" (1977), and the gratitude from critics and audiences alike for its existence will not cease for quite some time. That being said, does Walt Disney's 1937 animated landmark film hold up as a piece of cinema today aside from its importance and our memories of watching it as a kid? For the most part, it does.

I think it's safe to say that most of us know the story to this one. An evil queen has learned from her magic mirror that her stepdaughter Snow White is considered "the fairest one of all" and this causes the queen to be jealous. She becomes so jealous in fact that she sends out her loyal huntsman to kill her stepdaughter. But the huntsman is unable to pull off this task and orders Snow White to run away and never come back. Lost, confused, and alone, she finds a cottage in the woods which is occupied by seven little dwarfs where she seeks shelter and protection from the queen.

The story behind the making of "Snow White" is amazing. The production of this movie lasted for 4 ½ years and during that production, many complications aroused. From the seemingly endless increase in the production's costs to the skepticism from everybody including Disney's growing staff of animators regarding whether or not anyone will watch a feature length cartoon. They were concerned that the film would run out of gags or the colors would be too bright. If that didn't sound dramatic enough, they didn't settle on the names of the dwarfs until under a year before the film came out and the film itself was completed 2 ½ weeks before its release. Imagine the amount of work they had to do with the advertising and whatnot. Just hearing what I said alone, it's miraculous that the film did outstanding financially and critically. Otherwise, the Disney studios would have probably gone out of business due to the film's costs. It really is an amazing success story and is sure to give those who currently resent the Disney Company's ways a better respect for what Walt Disney himself had accomplished.

As for the quality of the film itself, it still holds up well. The animation is still as breathtaking and impressively detailed as it was in 1937. It's all the more outstanding if you look at the landmark black-and-white Mickey Mouse short, "Steamboat Willie" (1928) and look at the very basic animation used in that short. Then look at the more realistic animation in this film. By doing that, you can obtain a much deeper appreciation of just how far the animation studio had come during that era. The progress that studio made from "Steamboat Willie" to "Snow White" is unbelievable. It truly does have to be seen to be believed.

The music from Frank Churchill, Leigh Harline, and Paul Smith is filled with songs we all know and love from "Heigh Ho" to "Someday My Prince Will Come". Even though Snow White's singing voice may be too much for some tastes, the songs still have nice lyrics and a terrific melody to them. The background musical score is simply wonderful from beginning to end. It gives this landmark achievement in filmmaking the epic scope and memorability that it rightfully deserves. Ever since this film, most of Disney's animated features have been musicals and one could easily say that "Snow White" started a great tradition. It further explains why animation and music are practically peanut butter and jelly in the film industry.

The characters that hold up the best are easily the seven dwarfs. Nowadays, I feel like I talk similarly to the way Doc talks in that he mixes up his words more than a couple times but still makes wise decisions. I think we all know someone in our own personal lives who acts like Grumpy. As for Dopey, he rightfully deserves comparison with the great pantomime clowns like Charlie Chaplin and Harpo Marx. The storytellers did a great job at bringing the personalities of the dwarfs to life. Snow White and the prince himself are underdeveloped character wise. But to be fair, it was difficult drawing these characters around the time this film came out.

If it weren't for the existence of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", we probably still wouldn't know what kind of films to make for our kids. And we probably wouldn't have much in the way of either animated or fantasy films. Many of us including myself will be forever grateful for what Walt Disney and his staff of animators have accomplished with this film. It was a terrific film to see during my childhood and it was worthy revisiting it as a young adult and appreciating it as a giant landmark in the history of American filmmaking.

A true classic

Author: rachaelallison2
10 May 2013

How do you even review a movie that you grew up with, without being fully nostalgic? Without having a bias towards it because you know it so well?

I don't think you can, which is partly why I love this movie. It's completely wonderful and charming, but the fact that it brings up such nostalgic feelings, and I can recite every line, make it nearly perfect.

The evil queen is so, well, evil! She is so evil, she is willing to make herself the ugliest old hag around in order to kill poor, sweet Snow White!

Snow White, on the other hand, is the sweetest and most gentle young girl (she is only 14, you know). She wouldn't hurt a fly!

And, of course, the dwarfs are the humor in the story. Grumpy is my favorite!

All in all, this movie is truly a 10. Walt Disney was an absolute genius!

1st out of 5 in the Golden Age

Author: Centaurus3
12 April 2013

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the first Disney film, and the first animated film altogether.

The story is about a young teenager named Snow White who flees into the woods, and stumbles upon a cottage with 7 dwarfs, because her wicked stepmother is after her to kill her.

Even though this film was made back in the 1930s, it still holds up today. The characters are all intriguing (except the Prince), and you are rooting for the good guys. Snow White is a sweet, naive protagonist and even though she is not the most active Disney Princess, you want her to get her happy ending. The Dwarfs each have their own unique, and funny personality, and they are clearly the most interesting characters of the film. Queen Grimhilde is just so bitter and ruthless, and she does her job as a villain extremely well. You don't see much of the Prince, but he is an alright guy, and is good for Snow White.

The animation is pretty good for the time it was made in, but it does have a few inconsistencies, like the movement of the characters, but it was the first animated feature, so it's alright.

The story is pretty close to the Fairy Tale book, and is dedicated to that. There is no problem with the plot at all, but the filler scenes are a bit too long. All of the films in Walt's era has filler in it and that is alright, but in this film, it is a bit too long and some drag o. longer than its welcome.

The songs are brilliant and bring you up. Th classic songs like "Heigh Ho", and "Someday My Prince Will Come" add more depth into our characters and the story. Perfect

If you are on a nostalgic trip, and/or want entertainment for children, this film is perfect. It is iconic for a reason

It's not fantastic, but it's the first Disney classics

Author: nintendogs03 from United States
29 September 2012

I enjoyed watching this movie as a kid and it looked awesome! When I watched it with a friend, it just sounds so cheesy and predictable. It's the first animated movie ever so I give them credit for it's creation and dedication. It won't be all adventurous and complex like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, but it's simple and lighthearted (a good path for Disney's first movie).

I got to be honest with you, but I can't stand Snow White! Her voice is do pitchy and annoying. She's so naive and sweet ugh! If I want a princess being my role model; I would turn to Belle for a Disney princess. I just don't like her. The Evil Queen is a lot prettier than Snow White. The Queen is one of my favorite Disney villains alone with Scar and Ursula. The Queen may have awful plans to become a hag (she should have turn Snow White into a hag instead of herself), but she's a ruthless and cold person in and out. She's arguably the best character that this movie has to offer. Second place are the woodland animals and third is the boulder.

The animation looks really good, even from 1937. I really like the colors that the animators used and it looks nicely done. No CGI was used to animate this movie so don't expect Snow White to look like Rapunzek or Princess Fiona from Shrek (her ogre form is prettier than Snow White is). And the scene with the Queen's transformation is nicely done- if this was done by hand, why can't animators these days draw backdrops and things and such? As you read my reviews, I'm not a fan of CGI except Tangled and a few other films.

Snow White may not be Disney's best work, but it is the first animated film ever created. Watch it when your kids are young and discard it when you are older.

Seed of revolution

Author: Vincentiu from Romania
29 December 2011

A courage act. And a seed for an industry without limits. The good lucky movie of Disney. And a great story . Impressive victory of animation and chapter of movies history. A beautiful music and nice characters, gentle emotion and good humor, a Queen as prototype for every bad feminine character and dwarfs as pieces of fabulous machine. A film for each age but significant revolution of vision about this type of show. And a fairy tall makes after new rules, as giant tree in the intention to build a new style to tell that stories. So, a great movie. For remember of childhood, for charming scenes, for sense of fantasy in a cold -gray world. And for new adaptations of a German page about beauty, kindness, mirrors and apples, and Charming Prince.