IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 10 of 20: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

The Washing Song

Author: (kira_chicka) from Canada
1 May 2006

So I am a really good fan of OLD Disney movies and I really like to sit down and just watch them. So a couple of months ago, I guess, I was watching Snow White and I noticed that when the Seven Dwarfs go to wash their hands, before "gooseberry pie", Doc never once gets his hands wet, or his face wet. He just stands there and tells the other six Dwarfs what to do. I thought it was interesting and amusing that when Disney made Snow White they left that in there, as a small detail, unnoticeable to someone not paying good attention. I'm going to watch it again and look for some other things like this!

<33 -Beck

A classic

Author: johanlefourbe from Netherlands
14 September 2015

Even though it is almost 80 years old, it is still an impressive piece of work. Indeed, at the time, it was the very first full length animated feature, a huge gamble for Walt Disney, but this gamble paid off as it was a big box-office it and it started the massive empire of Disney in the film business. Eventually, this movie would become the blueprint for their future work and, after all years, the timeless fairy tales are still their most enduring trademark. Fortunately, they have the financial means to maintain their work and this movie has been restored already a couple of times and it looks quite amazing. Of course, they would improve and/or diversify their technique through the years but this one was already quite gorgeous to look at. To be honest, even though the story was charming and the dwarfs pretty hilarious, the plot was decent but not really strong, in my opinion. For example, they spent half of the running time with Snow White getting to their home and getting acquainted with those fellows while everything involving the prince was seriously underwritten. Indeed, nowadays, this whole concept of this prince coming up from nowhere and basically saving the day seems rather hard to swallow for the modern audience (see 'Frozen' and 'Maleficent', also both Disney productions). Anyway, to conclude, , even though it can seem outdated, it remains a timeless classic nonetheless and it is definitely worth.

As good today as it once was - although it shows its age.

Author: davidjones-74681 from United States
10 September 2015

One of my favorite all-time animated Disney movies. I used to watch it all the time as a kid. Pretty much every song is a classic, every character is unforgettable, every voice is just perfect, I honestly think that not a second is wasted. Snow White and the Severn Dwarfs is Funny, scary, entertaining and revolutionary for its time. You have to remember that this was the very first animated movie ever. In 62 years, I believe that this movie has never been equalled. OF course there have been many remakes but in my opinion none of them ever equals the magic and splendour of this movie. It has stood the test of time. I really enjoy watching this film over and over and it never gets old. Wonderful.

Significant, and yet whiny now and then

Author: avi-greene2 from Fayetteville, Arkansas
22 August 2015

I grew up in Florida for part of my childhood, so my family and I used to visit Disney World a lot which is why I grew up with this animated movie. For me though, I don't think this is the best animated film, nor do I think it's one of the worst. There are many ups and downs to this film. On the positive side, this was the movie that won a special Academy Award presented to Walt Disney that came with seven mini Academy Awards to represent each of the seven dwarfs, you know. And the famous child actress Shirley Temple Black presented the special Oscar to Mr. Disney and he definitely deserved it. But I also think this movie has a downside. While the animation has a lot of significant elements in the movie, I don't like how the title character sometimes sounds whiny and annoying, nor do I think the Queen is one of the best villains. I mean, this movie definitely places a big position in the history of animated cartoons, and without a doubt it has a significant one, but perhaps I would probably like this movie more if Snow White didn't sound whiny.

The one that started it all!

Author: princessariel93 from United States
1 June 2015

I decided to give Snow White another chance & I loved it! I can't believe I didn't like this film before. I think this film is so under-appreciated these days. This film gets a lot of flack these days especially from feminists! I'm tired of feminists attacking classics like Snow White. This film came out in 1937! That was almost 80 years ago. Women were viewed as second class citizens back then. Anyways, without this film there wouldn't have been The Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Beauty & the Beast, Lady & the Tramp, Tangled, etc. People also complain about Snow White's voice, I can see why people may not like her voice but those kind of voices were popular in the 30s. I'll take Snow White's voice over singers such as Christina Aguilera who just screams all the time. Snow White paved the way for all of the other Disney Princesses. This film is such a sweet movie but also dark at the same time which is a good thing. The characters aren't as well developed as more modern films but again this was in 1937. Snow White & Sleeping Beauty are the best princess films from the Walt era. People need to treat this film with more respect. People don't necessarily have to like it but please cut the film some slack because it is the oldest Disney movie & Disney wouldn't be where they are if it wasn't for Snow White.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I present the film that started it all in the Disney Company back in 1937

Author: lisafordeay from Ireland
31 May 2015

A man named Walt Disney changed movie goers lives forever when he started his first film called Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs. Before this of course was Steamboat Willie(which is now used in the Walt Disney Animation Studios as its logo). Everyone knows what this film is about,a young princess named Snow White is threatened by her evil stepmother the Queen who wants her dead(cause she wants to be the fairest one of all)so Snow White hides out in a nearby cottage with her animal buddies to keep her safe and its turns out that the cottage belongs to seven dwarfs including Dopey,Bashful,Sleepy,Sneezy,Grumpy,Doc and Happy(all these are personality traits that each dwarf has). So when the dwarfs arrive on the scene Snow White explains to them that her stepmother is trying to kill her and so they help her out. But when later on in the film,when the wicked queen catches her in the cottage disguised as an old begger woman,its up to the dwarfs to save her from the evil woman.

Lets face it Walt Disney wouldn't have happened only for this film. Disney today sure has changed as gone are the hand drawn films and now its all CGI films like Frozen,Big Hero 6 and of course Disney's 50th Tangled. As far as I know I think Snow White was the film that I watched as a child and now at the age of 24 I still love Disney movies to this day no matter what age I am.

Good: The Animation is beautiful and the characters are engaging. The songs are memorable too especially the cute love ballad Someday My Prince Will Come.

Bad: Snow White is a really irritating character. She has this piercing voice that drives you mad it even gets worse when she sings. Also does anyone of you notice that Snow White,Aurora and Cinderella all have one thing in common........there princes. I swear Snow White's prince is so bland,so boring his just not that great at all and it was a shame that Snow White hadn't got any screen-time with him except for the I'm Wishing song. Also the ending is a bit weird,like why was the castle up in heaven for anyway?

But still having said this I truly loved this movie. Is it the best animated film(well its a yes and no answer for me cause like I said without Snow White we wouldn't have DisneyLand or Euro Disney or anything Disney and our lives well wouldn't be as engaging without the man himself who died in 1966 and now its over by John Lasseter(the man responsible for Pixar in 1995) who changed Walt Disney Pictures to just Disney.

8.6/10 B-

The start of something wonderful

Author: Pihlaja from Helsinki
30 May 2015

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is one of the most influential films in history. The first full-length animated film, for a few brief years the highest-grossing film of all time and still to this day one of the most successful films in Disney history. Still the most successful if you account for inflation. And there is a reason for all that success, and not just the fact that it was the first. It's the crown of Walt Disney Studios. There might be gems that shined brighter later on, but this is the base, the foundation of the studio's brilliance.

And no, it's not a perfect film. You can still see that the animators were still learning away from the brief animated shorts they were more used to doing. The whole film is very episodic, with most of the time spent on general gallivanting and merriment. Especially with the dwarfs. There's a whole segment dedicated to them washing their hands. Actually, I lie. There's a whole segment AND a song dedicated to it. And sure, the dwarfs are great character, each a unique personality with hiccups and all, so the viewer doesn't really mind that the plot is pretty much forgotten much of the time, but you can nevertheless see that it's a work in progress as far as feature length storytelling is concerned.

Luckily we have the Queen. And oh, what a way to introduce us to Disney villains. To this day she's one of the greats and it can be argued that the movie is actually about her, not Snow White nor the dwarfs. She's the first character we see, has pretty much the most dialogue and her scenes are the most captivating and actually move the plot forward. And she's a menace. Always plotting, scheming, cackling, being absolutely terrifying. The first look she gives us after her transformation is one of the scariest looks in cinema history.

You've all seen this movie already. It's one of the most well-known pieces of art there is and has absolutely held up its charm to this day. Not the best film Disney has ever done, but for their first, it's unbelievable.

Still a magnificent achievement after almost 80 years

Author: Robert Reynolds ( from Tucson AZ
26 May 2015

This is the first animated feature length film produced by the Walt Disney Productions. There will be spoilers ahead:

This is, in my opinion, the greatest animated film of all time. It is certainly the greatest animated film ever produced in the US. It's a remarkable piece of work and, for its time, a monumental undertaking. It was in production for over three years and cost close to $1,500,000, a massive amount at the time. It was a smash hit when it was released and won a special Oscar from the Academy. While it was nominated for its musical score, none of its songs were nominated in the song category.

The story is quite familiar at this point, so I'll briefly summarize it here. Snow White is a princess whose stepmother is a vain and vindictive woman, jealous of her step-daughter's beauty. When the queen's mirror declares Snow White "the fairest one of all", the queen plots to have her killed. The plot fails and Snow winds up coming to live with seven dwarfs, winning them over and taking care of them.

The queen learns that Snow still lives and decides to take matters in her own hands, poisoning Snow with an apple which puts her in a deep sleep. The queen is killed and Snow is awakened by her true love.

The animation is breathtaking and still looks great even after all this time. The songs and the score are catchy and memorable and the characterizations are excellent. This is a first-class achievement in all respects.

This film is available on DVD and Blu Ray and is well worth having. Most highly recommended.

An amazing breakthrough for animation, though it hasn't aged as well as some other classic cartoons.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
22 May 2015

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a breakthrough film. It's the first full-length cartoon and a HUGE achievement for Disney. As such, it opened up new ground, established some of the formulas we still see today in animated films and is still darned entertaining. Had there been an IMDb back in 1937, I surely would have scored this one a 10--no doubt about that. However, despite being one of my favorite and sweetest Disney films, I also have to admit that the film, though wonderful, does suffer a bit on two accounts. First, Snow White's voice and singing is hellishly awful. What was wonderful for 1937 is just cringe-worthy today. Second, the ending is very abrupt and lacks depth. Still, the animation is wonderful, the story terrific and the film is easy to love. If you don't love this one, then you must be insane or just plain evil!

MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL -- This is no doubt The fairest of them all!

Author: Alex Deleon ( from United States, Budapest, etc.
31 March 2015

SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS, 1938 Viewed at Berlin 2015 in restored Technicolor Retro series.

IMG_1272.JPG THE Seven Dwarfs R~L: Sleepy, Bashful, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy, DOPEY — Find Snow White asleep in their cottage

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL Who is Fairest of them all? — The Mother of all Animation. The beautiful queen's beauty is exceeded only by her vanity So she needs to be reassured every day that She is the most beautiful female in the realm. Of this her magic all-seeing mirror reminds her daily until one day … Nope — not anymore Babe –your own step daughter, Snow White has now emerged from puberty and puts you to shame in terms of pure pulchritude. Oh NO!!- gotta get rid of that pert little bitch. Woodsman, take her out in the forest and do her in! But woodsman doesn't have the heart to bump lovely Innocent maiden off so he turns her loose and claims the wolves got her. But of course they didn't –So with all the friendly forest animals and birds — prancing fawns and flitting lovebirds — taking her under their wings (incredibly beautiful animation sequence) — they lead her to the cottage of the seven dwarfs who whistle while they work merrily in the nearby mines. (their cheerful songs kick in all of which became instant pop hits ~ Heigh ho, Heigh ho — it's off to work we go — etc.) — and the dwarfs each representing a certain state of mind or human foible — became stars on their own: HAPPY, Doc, Bashful, Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy and, last but not least, lovable Dopey. This was the first movie I ever saw at age six and I identified strongly with Dopey. Now it becomes a little horror film. The evil queen changes herself into a most scary witch and coming to the cottage in disguise as a friendly old hag offers blissfully naive Snow White the poison apple that puts her into a state of deathlike Suspended Animation — (pun intended) — The horrified dwarfs think she is dead and enshrine her in a class coffin and there she stays suspended until Prince Charming comes along and pulls her out if it with the fateful kiss of pure love –whereupon all Live happily ever after.

Anybody who can resist the visual beauty and magical charm of this mother of all animations, can only be the ultimate grump and should be put out of his misery with a poisoned apple — Disney's clean cut cartooning style is like Rembrandt to Peanuts in comparison to successor animation styles in terms of rendering skill and grace of image movement. The ultimate genius of the genre his Snow White is Evergreen and continues to out-dwarf the competition Seven and a half decades after it first appeared. Pure joy if you ever get a chance.