IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 10 of 21: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

LIKE THE FILM -- THE DVD BECOMES A LANDMARK!

Author: blue-7 from Salt Lake City
10 October 2001

There are certain motion pictures that must be recognized as "Landmarks" -- films that made such an impact on the public and on future film makers as to make them "Landmarks". D. W. Griffeth's THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915); Disney's SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS; David O. Selznick's GONE WITH THE WIND; Orson Welle's CITIZEN KANE; and STAR WARS, to list a few. And now many of these classics are being given excellent DVD releases. Just as Disney's SNOW WHITE was a "Landmark" in 1937, being the first feature-length animated film, now, the 2001 DVD Platinum Editon (two Discs) release of SNOW WHITE is likely to be considered a "Landmark" in the field of DVD's! The feature itself has never looked and sounded any better then seen here -- it's state of the art! And the EXTRAS (and the access to them) are absolutely amazing! More then 3 hours of material are contained on the second disc -- and choice material it is. It like being turned loose in the Disney archives and having access to anything you wanted -- only better -- because it is so well organized on the DVD. A college film course couldn't begin to touch what you will find here. HIGHEST RATING to the Disney staff!

The First Full Length Animated Movie...

Author: supercooljr from Norwich, England
22 March 2000

This is a true Hollywood classic, released for the first time in December 1937 the first full length Disney feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a brilliant portrayal of the brothers Grimm's chilling tale of an evil queen and her beautiful stepdaughter. The film reflects many of the social conditions of the time; the depression had just passed and songs such as "whistle while you work" were intended to promote a strong work ethic to the young children of America. The budget of the film was a staggering $500,000 around double the cost of an average film! Yet the pay off was huge, this was the film that established Disney as the ONLY true animation studio and led to the company's domination of the market. A must-see for all Disney fans young or old! 10/10

A true masterpiece!

Author: Shannon from So*Cal
25 September 1999

This must be regarded as Walt Disney's best!

I love this film and it is one of my favorite Disney movies. The characters are unforgettable and the songs stick in your head (hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...).

I love the voice talents, especially the one for the evil queen and Snow White. Grumpy steals the show as the moody dwarf as well as Dopey, the silent but funny dwarf.

I recommend this movie to not just kids, but to EVERYONE.

A true classic

Author: Bob-376 from Eastbourne, Sussex
13 February 1999

The classic of all classics! This film is as visually stunning now as when it was first released in the thirties. The story is heartwarming and it has some truly charming songs in it. The dwarfs are good and it does have the most wonderful Disney ending.

As new as it was when it was released

Author: Benedetto Cataldi (benedettocataldi@hotmail.com) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
10 February 1999

This is really an extraordinary piece of work. You simply cannot believe the beauty of the shots, the brightness of colours, and the experimental abstract qualities of some of the most famous sequences. A real treat, and as new today as it always has been. Did you know that it would have taken 250 years for one single man to make Snow White? Michelangelo only needed 10 for the Sistine Chapel! See it again and again, you will always be astonished. And if you really want to be amazed, try and freeze frame it, and you will enjoy the beauty of every single drawing, particularly in the sequences of Snow White in the woods, and of the queen becoming a witch. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

It must be said!

Author: emdt from Denmark
5 January 1999

Snow White and the seven Dwarfs is Walt Disney´s masterpiece and the greatest movie ever made! Not like the money-grabbing **** the Disney company brainwashes our children with these days. Walt Disney must be spinning in his grave/deepfreezer.

And I suppose `The Pickwick Papers' was Charles Dickens's best novel

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia
4 January 2000

What was the first X-rated animated film? Most people who have any kind of clue at all would say `Fritz the Cat', but they'd be wrong. It's `Snow White'! - which received the equivalent of an X-rating in South Africa. (Parts of it ARE grisly, even if the Grimm brothers' story was more grisly still: in the story, the Queen asked for Snow White's lungs and liver - with the intention of eating them.) This should dispel anyone's idea that the film is all cloying sentimentality.

Here's another one: `Gone with the Wind' was the biggest box office hit of the 1930s, but what was the second biggest? Oh, well, I guess everyone here knows the answer to that one. It must be said that the second-biggest hit deserved its success far more than the first.

`Snow White' can boast other things, too. But let's not get carried away and say that in addition it's the BEST film of the 1930s, or the best animated film of all time, or Disney's supreme masterpiece, or something silly of that kind. It clearly isn't any of these things. Let's distinguish between `good considering that it's a first effort' and good simpliciter, and see how `Snow White' rates.

Many things are good simpliciter. Although the visual spectacle is dwarfed by that of `Pinocchio' and `Fantasia' - to name but two - it's still visual spectacle, and it still works. Some of the special effects can still startle us. (I have absolutely no idea how they managed to get that shot of Snow White's reflection in well, for instance.) The art direction vividly creates a world of cosy dwellings surrounded by choking forest. The use of colour is as marvellous and subtle as anything the studio produced after 1942 (if not quite up to the standards set by `Fantasia' or `Bambi'). In fact, every single feature after `101 Dalmations' (1961) fails to measure up to `Snow White' so far as colour is concerned. A muted, watercolour effect (achieved WITHOUT actual watercolours) is enlivened by the rare splash of brilliance on the Queen's cape or on the poisoned apple, but there's more to it than that. Note how we're not shown a wide palette of colours until the dwarfs appear, when it seems that every hue under the sun makes its way onto the screen. The dwarfs are the only rounded characters, representing, between them, all aspects of humanity. (Brilliantly animated, by the way.) It's surprising, or perhaps it isn't, that in an age in which computers allow art directors to fiddle around with the colour balance as much as they like, no-one seems to be able to use colour nearly so effectively.

But there are also signs that the art wasn't yet ripe. The most obvious one is the limited range: `Snow White' never does anything more than a particularly good pantomime might do (which is more than you might think), and while this isn't even a flaw, it does mean that the film simply can't compare with the broader masterpieces Disney produced immediately afterwards (`Pinocchio', `Fantasia', `Dumbo', `Bambi'). In 1937, Disney (and Hand and everyone else at the studio) still didn't know what to do to make a well-proportioned cartoon over an hour in length. After the dwarfs have been around for a while the film starts to lose its way. It even has to resort to title-card narration, indicating that while the first part of the story had been thought through properly, the rest hadn't been. And there are minor technical difficulties throughout, with awkward animation of Snow White here, a clumsy use of the multiplane camera there.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely film, among the better ones the studio has produced. We do it no service when we exaggerate its virtues.

And they lived happily ever after

Author: Realrockerhalloween from United States
27 August 2016

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who"s the fairest one of all? The Queen asks everyday to to her trusted enchanted mirror who always replies that she is until one day another name is given.

What I enjoy about Walt Disney's classic fairy tale is true beauty comes from within. The Queen is stunningly beautiful, but on the inside an ugly witch who wants nothing more then to destroy her step daughter who was pretty within, caring and sensitive. Snow White cares for the men who took her in, cleans their house, cooks dinner and pumps them up everyday before they go off to work in the diamond mines while her mother takes life for granted.

The visuals are stunning, the music enchanting and the characters enduring making it a true testament to filmaking with limited technology available at the time.

A problem I had with the story itself is the prince who was the only one not fleshed out or given personality and only there to serve as a love interest. He's bland, boring and perfect without any flaws making the romance feel a little rushed. The first half was exciting as Snow runs for her life, meeting her prince and the huntsmen's death, but it mellows out once she reaches the closet stuck with chores to do.

I was captivated by the evilness the Queen displayed with her suave body language, her shivering crackle and frightening transformation into an old hag straight out of tales from the crypt.

While there have been complaints from special interest groups on the artist merit of the picture and its portrayal of women I found her to be the most courageous, brave and daring of them all.

A lot darker than I remember it being

Author: Ethan_Martin from United States
27 August 2016

If you're wondering why I decided to go back almost 100 years to watch this, it's because I love animation. There are very few things I love more than classic, hand-drawn, cartoon animation. And it doesn't have to be hand-drawn for me to love it, some great cartoons were made on computers, but classic 2D animation will always beat computer generated animation for me. And I'm not hatin' on Pixar at all, I love me some Pixar, but there's something more powerful about animation that's done by hand for me. That being said, this isn't the best Disney movie I've seen. I can certainly understand why it's considered important to cinema and pop culture, but I still had a few issues.

One is that the story is too familiar to me. Everyone and their mom knows the story of Snow White, and that's not the film's fault, but there was no suspense in it for me. Again, consider this more of a nitpick than anything, but I wasn't as invested as other Disney films I've seen. Second, the songs are hit or miss for me. There are good songs, but other than the drawfs' song when they're going to and from the mine, the songs are mostly forgettable. Again, take that complaint with a gain of salt because I grew up in the 90s when Disney songs were winning Oscars like nobody's business. And third, Snow White's singing voice is too damn high! There are different levels of pitch for singing, a lot of people know that. Some high voices sound glorious like Freddie Mercury's, Brad Delp's or any member of the Bee Gees. Than there's Snow White's voice which is so high, it's a wonder my windows didn't break with every song she did. Whenever I have to turn down the volume on my TV because my ears are ringing, your voice is too high. I'm sure whoever voiced Snow White was a great singer, but her songs in this were hard to understand, and hard to listen to.

Other than those three complaints, it's not hard to see why this is still considered a classic, the animation is fluid, the score is spot on, and there are even some pretty dark moments. Heck, the movie reaches "Nightmare Fuel" levels of scary before the 10 minute mark. The only other time I'll probably see this is if I have kids, but I'd show it to them more so they could appreciate the animation and it's impact on cinema, not necessarily for the story or songs.

Iconic

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
3 August 2016

Based on a Grimm Brother's tale, this film tells the story of Snow White, a princess forced to hide from the hatred of her stepmother. Directed by David Hand and produced by Walt Disney, it has the participation of great voice actors. The soundtrack is a responsibility of Paul J. Smith, Frank Churchill and Leigh Harline. Nominated for an Oscar for Best Soundtrack, this film earned to Disney the honorary statuette the following year.

This film immediately won a place in history. Having been the first Walt Disney feature film, it was decisive for the evolution of what we know as animated film. Since the thirties, this movie has been in the lives of successive generations, despite having had few awards. In fact, its the definitive proof that awards don't immortalize a movie. Its ability to win public every year and persist in people's lives is, ultimately, the absolute consecration of a work of cinema.

The script is simple but extraordinarily effective, adapting (almost rewriting and polishing) Grimm Brother's story. Snow White is a pre- teen girl, very naive and pure, as it was considered correct at the time (current audiences prefer a less candid approach). The Queen is the incarnation of evil and the perfect antagonist. The prince is the representation of the honest and faithful man, who saves the girl. And of course, we have the famous Seven Dwarfs, supporting characters who serve as comic element and come directly to the hearts of children, with their defects or characteristics, a rather clumsy way and a huge sense of generosity.

The drawings are not as visually pleasing as will become in future films. Pencil lines are quite obvious and the colors are slightly alive. However, this technique was starting so that's something natural. The soundtrack is essential for any movie lover and contains one of the most famous songs from Disney films, "Heigh Ho", sung by the dwarfs when they return from their mine. The music perfectly accompanies the film and speak to the public with the same eloquence of the drawings.