IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 9 of 21: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

And then there was Disney.

Author: jwvongoethe1800 from Netherlands
2 November 2014

It is not an surprise that I think that Snow White is one of the greatest and most important movies in history. It is the start of the medium animation, and the first of an almost continuous line of fantastic movies by Walt Disney. Does this film still hold up after almost 80 years? Of course it does.

Let us begin with the animation. Even after 77 years, it still is one of the best examples of Disney animation at it's best. It is flu- wend, colorful and the use of Walt's multi plane camera (a device that created the illusion of depth) is fantastic.

Because this is Walt's first feature animated movie, they use a simple story. I won't tell the plot in this review, because you all have seen this film so it is pointless to tell something that you all already know. There is no point explaining the plot because this is the kind of film in which everything else is more important than the plot.

And now the characters. To be honest, Snow White is not the greatest character in this film, even Walt Disney him self sad that she is basically an plot device. I do not say that she is a bad character. she is good, but the only other complain I have with her is that her voice is ridiculously high. I have heard Adriana Caselotti in the Wizard of Oz and there she sounds normal. And now the thing everyone remembers of this movie: The dwarfs. Thy are some of the best characters ever created in any movie. The evil queen is also great, especially when she is turned into the witch.

All the songs are great and fantastic. My favorites are: High Ho, the washing song, the silly song and some day my prince will come. For some reason Disney didn't own the rights of the songs ever since 1937, because it didn't have his own music department yet.

It still is one of the greatest Disney movies ever, and one of the greatest movies ever. To the one or two people who didn't saw the movie: Go to the store and buy it!!! it is an must own for everyone.

Why do we love Disney?

Author: rbn_lrk-1 from Denmark
25 May 2014

I just watched Adamthewoo on Youtube doing another 24 hours Disneyland California.

One of the many famous rides are of course Snow White in the forest.

It all started in 1937 with a movie about a pretty Young girl Snow White banished from her Castle by a witch that reveals herself later on.

The girl meets seven dwarfs in the forest after getting lost at night.

In the meanwhile the witch tries to get rid of Snow White.

But, the movie ends of course happy ever after.

There are something for the Whole Family here.

Light and happy songs, an evil witch, retro animation from a forgotten time and more.

It gets very sweet, but there are some very dark parts too.

If you are very Lucky you might find the movie and the comic based on the movie in a shop somewhere.

Or even better maybe try your luck to find a Cinema showing.

As timeless as it is wonderful.

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
26 March 2011

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a Walt Disney production based on Snow White by The Brothers Grimm. The rest, as they say, is history. Famously said to be Disney's folly prior to release, Snow White has gone on to be one of the company's biggest earners; few, if anyone, can deny it's not the most deserving from Disney's back catalogue of being released every once in a while on different home formats. Very much a landmark movie for being the first full length animated feature, it also deserves its accolades for the high artistic quality that seeps from every frame. The advancements from Steamboat Willie ten years earlier are nothing short of incredible, the richness of the animation is a joy to behold, as the woodland creatures dart about with purpose, or the way the terror comes to life as Snow White runs thru the forest, the depth and clarity dazzles the eyes. Then of course there's the songs, most of which have formed part of pop culture ever since they were first heard. "Whistle While You work," "Heigh-Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come," each one a standard uplifter on a dreary day.

That the film is accessible to all ages obviously helped it gain universal appeal. Yes, very young kids are quite easily spooked by the darker moments that lay within, but around the corner is a treat, most notably in the form of 7 little dwarfs, each one with an identity and character that the young and old can fully embrace. One of the finest quotes I can remember about the dwarfs came from Charlie Chaplin, who straight out insisted that Dopey was "one of the greatest comedians of all time", and he's right of course. True enough it has some minor rough edges that time has inflicted upon it. Snow White is voiced by Adriana Caselotti, her voice is very 30s, very shrill and much too childlike for a character meant to be a young woman. Whilst she's not exactly painted in a good light, bit of an air-head is our Snow White, but to do down the film for its social portrayal of women in the late 30s would be churlish in the extreme!

Pixar, presently, keeps raising the bar, as computer-perfection-animation thrills the modern day crowd. But make no bones about it, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is still the benchmark animation movie. As technical advancements ensure we are wowed by this particular art form, Disneys folly watches over proceedings as the rightful lord of the manor. Masterpiece 10/10

Walt Disney is Genius!

Author: disneyland_one_fan from United States
9 June 2006

It was in 1933 Walt's mind began to picture a film that would revolutionize the industry of Hollywood forever. With a cost of over one million dollars and more then three years of production he could not afford a flop. Critics predicted the worst for Walt's film. Though it was impressive from the animators prospective no one else knew what to expect. On December of 1937 the world finally saw the masterpiece. People laughed and cried and were excited and were frightened. Walt received more money then he had ever dreamed of having. Today the film has earned more then $1 Billion! Though today we may look at it with a feeling... this film isn't that ahead of it's time. I saw one comment here saying that when Dumbo and Bambi were released it was much better quality. That is true, but like from all films, they have to learn from mistakes. They obvisiously learned amazingly!

The true classic

Author: CKCSWHFFAN from home
3 March 2006

What can you say about this film that has not been said already.

The original. A true classic film.

Still as beautiful to look at today.

Wonderful music. "The Silly Song" is my favorite.

Great characters. Dwarfs. Dopey & Grumpy are my favorites.

The Evil Queen is my 2cd favorite Disney Villain behind Maleficent.

I prefer the Evil Queen to her alter ego the Old Hag.

"Heigh Ho".

Voices for the characters were perfect. Too bad now most everyone who worked on the film has passed on.

Films are NOT made of this quality anymore. Way too bad.

"I'm Wishing".

A timeless and beautiful story for all ages.

Author: ellen-rouse from United States
28 February 2006

A wonderful story about goodness and evil in the world, with beautiful animation, timeless and beautiful music, some frightful events and endearing characters who show compassion and kindness to someone in need. I'm so grateful to have seen this movie in my childhood in an old and opulent movie theater when there were still red velvet curtains with gold light fixtures and an organ that came up out of the floor... when going to the movie was a very special occasion. Every Disney movie I saw in my childhood certainly befitted the opulent surroundings in which it was viewed by countless wide-eyed children who still love those movies as we share them with our grandchildren. We saw no religious or other symbolism in the evil queen with the apple, nor did we see Snow White's name as anything other than what it was. Our impressive little minds were not tarnished by any stereotyping of the dwarfs or the ugly witch or anything else. And the adorable bluebirds and other animals of the forest were just big bonuses for our wide-eyed innocence as we went home singing the opera-like tunes. Thanks, Walt, for this gift. I'm watching it with my daughters and grandchildren this Saturday - passing the torch.

The Best Animated Film of All Time

Author: ctrout from USA
3 October 2005

This is a simple story of friendship and courage brought beautifully to life by the master of animation, Walt Disney. It follows the story of a young girl who doesn't know that she's the fairest one of all. But the evil Queen does know this and will stop at nothing to rid the world of her beauty. Even if it means losing the Queen's own beauty.

The Queen sends someone to kill Snow White, but the man who has to fulfill the dirty deed cannot go through with it and sets Snow White free into the forest. She stumbles upon a vacant cottage in the heart of the wilderness. She naps there and is awakened by what she describes as little men.

These men learn to love Snow White as a friend and they live together in peace until the Queen learns that the beautiful girl is still alive and must destroy Snow White herself.

Even today that storyline is a little complex for most children. Yet everyone who sees it seems to love it and cherish it in their heart. It was the first of its kind and who knew that it would also end up being the best? This put Disney on the map as a major studio and also paved the way for the animated feature film.

It's definitely something you can't pass up and something you must show to your own children while they are young. I know they'll enjoy it as much as we all did when we were younger and I know they'll keep a special place in their heart for it because it's not only the best animated film, but also one of the best movies of all time.

You can't touch this.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
15 January 2003

I agree wholeheartedly with many other critics; if not for the dwarfs and the woodland animals, SNOW WHITE probably would have faded with time. But the supporting cast is perfect. The landscape of the world in which Snow White and the dwarfs live in is astoundingly detailed. You can see the heart put into this movie. The DVD is sickeningly filled with everything on SNOW WHITE. No other animated feature can touch SNOW WHITE without paying some type of homage to it.

Princess Snow White lives as a maid thinking of love and talking to animals. When her step-mother, The Queen, is told she has been usurped as the fairest one of all by Snow White, jealously takes hold and our story begins.

Landmark, Revolutionary, The Greatest ... we have heard it all before and they are valid to a point. Maybe a century down the road when I am dead and our great-great grandchildren see this movie when it is horribly dated will we truly know. But I believe for my time, even when this movie has outlasted my grandfather, that SNOW WHITE remains one of the greatest movies ever, from one of the greatest gambles ever. I applaud everyone involved in making, restoring and maintaining this masterpiece.

LIKE THE FILM -- THE DVD BECOMES A LANDMARK!

Author: blue-7 from Salt Lake City
10 October 2001

There are certain motion pictures that must be recognized as "Landmarks" -- films that made such an impact on the public and on future film makers as to make them "Landmarks". D. W. Griffeth's THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915); Disney's SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS; David O. Selznick's GONE WITH THE WIND; Orson Welle's CITIZEN KANE; and STAR WARS, to list a few. And now many of these classics are being given excellent DVD releases. Just as Disney's SNOW WHITE was a "Landmark" in 1937, being the first feature-length animated film, now, the 2001 DVD Platinum Editon (two Discs) release of SNOW WHITE is likely to be considered a "Landmark" in the field of DVD's! The feature itself has never looked and sounded any better then seen here -- it's state of the art! And the EXTRAS (and the access to them) are absolutely amazing! More then 3 hours of material are contained on the second disc -- and choice material it is. It like being turned loose in the Disney archives and having access to anything you wanted -- only better -- because it is so well organized on the DVD. A college film course couldn't begin to touch what you will find here. HIGHEST RATING to the Disney staff!

The First Full Length Animated Movie...

Author: supercooljr from Norwich, England
22 March 2000

This is a true Hollywood classic, released for the first time in December 1937 the first full length Disney feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a brilliant portrayal of the brothers Grimm's chilling tale of an evil queen and her beautiful stepdaughter. The film reflects many of the social conditions of the time; the depression had just passed and songs such as "whistle while you work" were intended to promote a strong work ethic to the young children of America. The budget of the film was a staggering $500,000 around double the cost of an average film! Yet the pay off was huge, this was the film that established Disney as the ONLY true animation studio and led to the company's domination of the market. A must-see for all Disney fans young or old! 10/10