IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 9 of 19: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A timeless and beautiful story for all ages.

Author: ellen-rouse from United States
28 February 2006

A wonderful story about goodness and evil in the world, with beautiful animation, timeless and beautiful music, some frightful events and endearing characters who show compassion and kindness to someone in need. I'm so grateful to have seen this movie in my childhood in an old and opulent movie theater when there were still red velvet curtains with gold light fixtures and an organ that came up out of the floor... when going to the movie was a very special occasion. Every Disney movie I saw in my childhood certainly befitted the opulent surroundings in which it was viewed by countless wide-eyed children who still love those movies as we share them with our grandchildren. We saw no religious or other symbolism in the evil queen with the apple, nor did we see Snow White's name as anything other than what it was. Our impressive little minds were not tarnished by any stereotyping of the dwarfs or the ugly witch or anything else. And the adorable bluebirds and other animals of the forest were just big bonuses for our wide-eyed innocence as we went home singing the opera-like tunes. Thanks, Walt, for this gift. I'm watching it with my daughters and grandchildren this Saturday - passing the torch.

The Best Animated Film of All Time

Author: ctrout from USA
3 October 2005

This is a simple story of friendship and courage brought beautifully to life by the master of animation, Walt Disney. It follows the story of a young girl who doesn't know that she's the fairest one of all. But the evil Queen does know this and will stop at nothing to rid the world of her beauty. Even if it means losing the Queen's own beauty.

The Queen sends someone to kill Snow White, but the man who has to fulfill the dirty deed cannot go through with it and sets Snow White free into the forest. She stumbles upon a vacant cottage in the heart of the wilderness. She naps there and is awakened by what she describes as little men.

These men learn to love Snow White as a friend and they live together in peace until the Queen learns that the beautiful girl is still alive and must destroy Snow White herself.

Even today that storyline is a little complex for most children. Yet everyone who sees it seems to love it and cherish it in their heart. It was the first of its kind and who knew that it would also end up being the best? This put Disney on the map as a major studio and also paved the way for the animated feature film.

It's definitely something you can't pass up and something you must show to your own children while they are young. I know they'll enjoy it as much as we all did when we were younger and I know they'll keep a special place in their heart for it because it's not only the best animated film, but also one of the best movies of all time.

You can't touch this.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
15 January 2003

I agree wholeheartedly with many other critics; if not for the dwarfs and the woodland animals, SNOW WHITE probably would have faded with time. But the supporting cast is perfect. The landscape of the world in which Snow White and the dwarfs live in is astoundingly detailed. You can see the heart put into this movie. The DVD is sickeningly filled with everything on SNOW WHITE. No other animated feature can touch SNOW WHITE without paying some type of homage to it.

Princess Snow White lives as a maid thinking of love and talking to animals. When her step-mother, The Queen, is told she has been usurped as the fairest one of all by Snow White, jealously takes hold and our story begins.

Landmark, Revolutionary, The Greatest ... we have heard it all before and they are valid to a point. Maybe a century down the road when I am dead and our great-great grandchildren see this movie when it is horribly dated will we truly know. But I believe for my time, even when this movie has outlasted my grandfather, that SNOW WHITE remains one of the greatest movies ever, from one of the greatest gambles ever. I applaud everyone involved in making, restoring and maintaining this masterpiece.

LIKE THE FILM -- THE DVD BECOMES A LANDMARK!

Author: blue-7 from Salt Lake City
10 October 2001

There are certain motion pictures that must be recognized as "Landmarks" -- films that made such an impact on the public and on future film makers as to make them "Landmarks". D. W. Griffeth's THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915); Disney's SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS; David O. Selznick's GONE WITH THE WIND; Orson Welle's CITIZEN KANE; and STAR WARS, to list a few. And now many of these classics are being given excellent DVD releases. Just as Disney's SNOW WHITE was a "Landmark" in 1937, being the first feature-length animated film, now, the 2001 DVD Platinum Editon (two Discs) release of SNOW WHITE is likely to be considered a "Landmark" in the field of DVD's! The feature itself has never looked and sounded any better then seen here -- it's state of the art! And the EXTRAS (and the access to them) are absolutely amazing! More then 3 hours of material are contained on the second disc -- and choice material it is. It like being turned loose in the Disney archives and having access to anything you wanted -- only better -- because it is so well organized on the DVD. A college film course couldn't begin to touch what you will find here. HIGHEST RATING to the Disney staff!

The First Full Length Animated Movie...

Author: supercooljr from Norwich, England
22 March 2000

This is a true Hollywood classic, released for the first time in December 1937 the first full length Disney feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a brilliant portrayal of the brothers Grimm's chilling tale of an evil queen and her beautiful stepdaughter. The film reflects many of the social conditions of the time; the depression had just passed and songs such as "whistle while you work" were intended to promote a strong work ethic to the young children of America. The budget of the film was a staggering $500,000 around double the cost of an average film! Yet the pay off was huge, this was the film that established Disney as the ONLY true animation studio and led to the company's domination of the market. A must-see for all Disney fans young or old! 10/10

A true masterpiece!

Author: Shannon from So*Cal
25 September 1999

This must be regarded as Walt Disney's best!

I love this film and it is one of my favorite Disney movies. The characters are unforgettable and the songs stick in your head (hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...).

I love the voice talents, especially the one for the evil queen and Snow White. Grumpy steals the show as the moody dwarf as well as Dopey, the silent but funny dwarf.

I recommend this movie to not just kids, but to EVERYONE.

A true classic

Author: Bob-376 from Eastbourne, Sussex
13 February 1999

The classic of all classics! This film is as visually stunning now as when it was first released in the thirties. The story is heartwarming and it has some truly charming songs in it. The dwarfs are good and it does have the most wonderful Disney ending.

As new as it was when it was released

Author: Benedetto Cataldi (benedettocataldi@hotmail.com) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
10 February 1999

This is really an extraordinary piece of work. You simply cannot believe the beauty of the shots, the brightness of colours, and the experimental abstract qualities of some of the most famous sequences. A real treat, and as new today as it always has been. Did you know that it would have taken 250 years for one single man to make Snow White? Michelangelo only needed 10 for the Sistine Chapel! See it again and again, you will always be astonished. And if you really want to be amazed, try and freeze frame it, and you will enjoy the beauty of every single drawing, particularly in the sequences of Snow White in the woods, and of the queen becoming a witch. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

It must be said!

Author: emdt from Denmark
5 January 1999

Snow White and the seven Dwarfs is Walt Disney´s masterpiece and the greatest movie ever made! Not like the money-grabbing **** the Disney company brainwashes our children with these days. Walt Disney must be spinning in his grave/deepfreezer.

And I suppose `The Pickwick Papers' was Charles Dickens's best novel

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia
4 January 2000

What was the first X-rated animated film? Most people who have any kind of clue at all would say `Fritz the Cat', but they'd be wrong. It's `Snow White'! - which received the equivalent of an X-rating in South Africa. (Parts of it ARE grisly, even if the Grimm brothers' story was more grisly still: in the story, the Queen asked for Snow White's lungs and liver - with the intention of eating them.) This should dispel anyone's idea that the film is all cloying sentimentality.

Here's another one: `Gone with the Wind' was the biggest box office hit of the 1930s, but what was the second biggest? Oh, well, I guess everyone here knows the answer to that one. It must be said that the second-biggest hit deserved its success far more than the first.

`Snow White' can boast other things, too. But let's not get carried away and say that in addition it's the BEST film of the 1930s, or the best animated film of all time, or Disney's supreme masterpiece, or something silly of that kind. It clearly isn't any of these things. Let's distinguish between `good considering that it's a first effort' and good simpliciter, and see how `Snow White' rates.

Many things are good simpliciter. Although the visual spectacle is dwarfed by that of `Pinocchio' and `Fantasia' - to name but two - it's still visual spectacle, and it still works. Some of the special effects can still startle us. (I have absolutely no idea how they managed to get that shot of Snow White's reflection in well, for instance.) The art direction vividly creates a world of cosy dwellings surrounded by choking forest. The use of colour is as marvellous and subtle as anything the studio produced after 1942 (if not quite up to the standards set by `Fantasia' or `Bambi'). In fact, every single feature after `101 Dalmations' (1961) fails to measure up to `Snow White' so far as colour is concerned. A muted, watercolour effect (achieved WITHOUT actual watercolours) is enlivened by the rare splash of brilliance on the Queen's cape or on the poisoned apple, but there's more to it than that. Note how we're not shown a wide palette of colours until the dwarfs appear, when it seems that every hue under the sun makes its way onto the screen. The dwarfs are the only rounded characters, representing, between them, all aspects of humanity. (Brilliantly animated, by the way.) It's surprising, or perhaps it isn't, that in an age in which computers allow art directors to fiddle around with the colour balance as much as they like, no-one seems to be able to use colour nearly so effectively.

But there are also signs that the art wasn't yet ripe. The most obvious one is the limited range: `Snow White' never does anything more than a particularly good pantomime might do (which is more than you might think), and while this isn't even a flaw, it does mean that the film simply can't compare with the broader masterpieces Disney produced immediately afterwards (`Pinocchio', `Fantasia', `Dumbo', `Bambi'). In 1937, Disney (and Hand and everyone else at the studio) still didn't know what to do to make a well-proportioned cartoon over an hour in length. After the dwarfs have been around for a while the film starts to lose its way. It even has to resort to title-card narration, indicating that while the first part of the story had been thought through properly, the rest hadn't been. And there are minor technical difficulties throughout, with awkward animation of Snow White here, a clumsy use of the multiplane camera there.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely film, among the better ones the studio has produced. We do it no service when we exaggerate its virtues.