IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 9 of 19: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

LIKE THE FILM -- THE DVD BECOMES A LANDMARK!

Author: blue-7 from Salt Lake City
10 October 2001

There are certain motion pictures that must be recognized as "Landmarks" -- films that made such an impact on the public and on future film makers as to make them "Landmarks". D. W. Griffeth's THE BIRTH OF A NATION (1915); Disney's SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS; David O. Selznick's GONE WITH THE WIND; Orson Welle's CITIZEN KANE; and STAR WARS, to list a few. And now many of these classics are being given excellent DVD releases. Just as Disney's SNOW WHITE was a "Landmark" in 1937, being the first feature-length animated film, now, the 2001 DVD Platinum Editon (two Discs) release of SNOW WHITE is likely to be considered a "Landmark" in the field of DVD's! The feature itself has never looked and sounded any better then seen here -- it's state of the art! And the EXTRAS (and the access to them) are absolutely amazing! More then 3 hours of material are contained on the second disc -- and choice material it is. It like being turned loose in the Disney archives and having access to anything you wanted -- only better -- because it is so well organized on the DVD. A college film course couldn't begin to touch what you will find here. HIGHEST RATING to the Disney staff!

The First Full Length Animated Movie...

Author: supercooljr from Norwich, England
22 March 2000

This is a true Hollywood classic, released for the first time in December 1937 the first full length Disney feature "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a brilliant portrayal of the brothers Grimm's chilling tale of an evil queen and her beautiful stepdaughter. The film reflects many of the social conditions of the time; the depression had just passed and songs such as "whistle while you work" were intended to promote a strong work ethic to the young children of America. The budget of the film was a staggering $500,000 around double the cost of an average film! Yet the pay off was huge, this was the film that established Disney as the ONLY true animation studio and led to the company's domination of the market. A must-see for all Disney fans young or old! 10/10

A true masterpiece!

Author: Shannon from So*Cal
25 September 1999

This must be regarded as Walt Disney's best!

I love this film and it is one of my favorite Disney movies. The characters are unforgettable and the songs stick in your head (hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go...).

I love the voice talents, especially the one for the evil queen and Snow White. Grumpy steals the show as the moody dwarf as well as Dopey, the silent but funny dwarf.

I recommend this movie to not just kids, but to EVERYONE.

A true classic

Author: Bob-376 from Eastbourne, Sussex
13 February 1999

The classic of all classics! This film is as visually stunning now as when it was first released in the thirties. The story is heartwarming and it has some truly charming songs in it. The dwarfs are good and it does have the most wonderful Disney ending.

As new as it was when it was released

Author: Benedetto Cataldi (benedettocataldi@hotmail.com) from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
10 February 1999

This is really an extraordinary piece of work. You simply cannot believe the beauty of the shots, the brightness of colours, and the experimental abstract qualities of some of the most famous sequences. A real treat, and as new today as it always has been. Did you know that it would have taken 250 years for one single man to make Snow White? Michelangelo only needed 10 for the Sistine Chapel! See it again and again, you will always be astonished. And if you really want to be amazed, try and freeze frame it, and you will enjoy the beauty of every single drawing, particularly in the sequences of Snow White in the woods, and of the queen becoming a witch. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.

It must be said!

Author: emdt from Denmark
5 January 1999

Snow White and the seven Dwarfs is Walt Disney´s masterpiece and the greatest movie ever made! Not like the money-grabbing **** the Disney company brainwashes our children with these days. Walt Disney must be spinning in his grave/deepfreezer.

The Best Ever!!

Author: Legos from Churubusco
18 October 1998

Snow White is easily the best animated feature ever produced. Spectacular animation, good, evil, romance and the best music ever.

And I suppose `The Pickwick Papers' was Charles Dickens's best novel

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia
4 January 2000

What was the first X-rated animated film? Most people who have any kind of clue at all would say `Fritz the Cat', but they'd be wrong. It's `Snow White'! - which received the equivalent of an X-rating in South Africa. (Parts of it ARE grisly, even if the Grimm brothers' story was more grisly still: in the story, the Queen asked for Snow White's lungs and liver - with the intention of eating them.) This should dispel anyone's idea that the film is all cloying sentimentality.

Here's another one: `Gone with the Wind' was the biggest box office hit of the 1930s, but what was the second biggest? Oh, well, I guess everyone here knows the answer to that one. It must be said that the second-biggest hit deserved its success far more than the first.

`Snow White' can boast other things, too. But let's not get carried away and say that in addition it's the BEST film of the 1930s, or the best animated film of all time, or Disney's supreme masterpiece, or something silly of that kind. It clearly isn't any of these things. Let's distinguish between `good considering that it's a first effort' and good simpliciter, and see how `Snow White' rates.

Many things are good simpliciter. Although the visual spectacle is dwarfed by that of `Pinocchio' and `Fantasia' - to name but two - it's still visual spectacle, and it still works. Some of the special effects can still startle us. (I have absolutely no idea how they managed to get that shot of Snow White's reflection in well, for instance.) The art direction vividly creates a world of cosy dwellings surrounded by choking forest. The use of colour is as marvellous and subtle as anything the studio produced after 1942 (if not quite up to the standards set by `Fantasia' or `Bambi'). In fact, every single feature after `101 Dalmations' (1961) fails to measure up to `Snow White' so far as colour is concerned. A muted, watercolour effect (achieved WITHOUT actual watercolours) is enlivened by the rare splash of brilliance on the Queen's cape or on the poisoned apple, but there's more to it than that. Note how we're not shown a wide palette of colours until the dwarfs appear, when it seems that every hue under the sun makes its way onto the screen. The dwarfs are the only rounded characters, representing, between them, all aspects of humanity. (Brilliantly animated, by the way.) It's surprising, or perhaps it isn't, that in an age in which computers allow art directors to fiddle around with the colour balance as much as they like, no-one seems to be able to use colour nearly so effectively.

But there are also signs that the art wasn't yet ripe. The most obvious one is the limited range: `Snow White' never does anything more than a particularly good pantomime might do (which is more than you might think), and while this isn't even a flaw, it does mean that the film simply can't compare with the broader masterpieces Disney produced immediately afterwards (`Pinocchio', `Fantasia', `Dumbo', `Bambi'). In 1937, Disney (and Hand and everyone else at the studio) still didn't know what to do to make a well-proportioned cartoon over an hour in length. After the dwarfs have been around for a while the film starts to lose its way. It even has to resort to title-card narration, indicating that while the first part of the story had been thought through properly, the rest hadn't been. And there are minor technical difficulties throughout, with awkward animation of Snow White here, a clumsy use of the multiplane camera there.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely film, among the better ones the studio has produced. We do it no service when we exaggerate its virtues.

The Washing Song

Author: (kira_chicka) from Canada
1 May 2006

So I am a really good fan of OLD Disney movies and I really like to sit down and just watch them. So a couple of months ago, I guess, I was watching Snow White and I noticed that when the Seven Dwarfs go to wash their hands, before "gooseberry pie", Doc never once gets his hands wet, or his face wet. He just stands there and tells the other six Dwarfs what to do. I thought it was interesting and amusing that when Disney made Snow White they left that in there, as a small detail, unnoticeable to someone not paying good attention. I'm going to watch it again and look for some other things like this!

<33 -Beck

"Still the fairest of them all"

Author: msw50 from Phoenix, AZ
19 December 2013

"Still the fairest of them all", Disney's first masterpiece is as beautiful, frightening, charming and enchanting as they come.

The songs and animated dancing are brilliant, so many great songs in one movie. "Someday my prince will come" later covered by Miles Davis, is a classic, " Whistle while you work" so fun and so many more hits come out of this one movie.

The dwarfs themselves are so cute and funny . There lovable personalities added humor and my young nieces adored them.

The beauty of the art work and backgrounds create a complete fantasy world that is rich and detailed, and alive.

The classic story, is told with humor, pathos, suspense and beauty.