IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 8 of 22: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

1st out of 5 in the Golden Age

Author: Centaurus3
12 April 2013

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the first Disney film, and the first animated film altogether.

The story is about a young teenager named Snow White who flees into the woods, and stumbles upon a cottage with 7 dwarfs, because her wicked stepmother is after her to kill her.

Even though this film was made back in the 1930s, it still holds up today. The characters are all intriguing (except the Prince), and you are rooting for the good guys. Snow White is a sweet, naive protagonist and even though she is not the most active Disney Princess, you want her to get her happy ending. The Dwarfs each have their own unique, and funny personality, and they are clearly the most interesting characters of the film. Queen Grimhilde is just so bitter and ruthless, and she does her job as a villain extremely well. You don't see much of the Prince, but he is an alright guy, and is good for Snow White.

The animation is pretty good for the time it was made in, but it does have a few inconsistencies, like the movement of the characters, but it was the first animated feature, so it's alright.

The story is pretty close to the Fairy Tale book, and is dedicated to that. There is no problem with the plot at all, but the filler scenes are a bit too long. All of the films in Walt's era has filler in it and that is alright, but in this film, it is a bit too long and some drag o. longer than its welcome.

The songs are brilliant and bring you up. Th classic songs like "Heigh Ho", and "Someday My Prince Will Come" add more depth into our characters and the story. Perfect

If you are on a nostalgic trip, and/or want entertainment for children, this film is perfect. It is iconic for a reason

A milestone in filmmaking

Author: djansen24 from Germany
9 July 2012

Snow White is a milestone in motion picture history. It is the first (and possibly the best) full length animated feature film. It spawned a whole new line of motion picture entertainment. It still sets the standard for animated features today. And it was a simple good story incredibly well told. Snow White herself is only mildly interesting. But give her a cast of quirky and funny side characters, and you've got a brilliant picture. Snow White does not focus solely on plot. It slowly moves along, giving room for the scenes of her interacting with the dwarfs and animals to draw us into to the atmosphere. We really get to know all of the characters well. The storyline may be familiar, but it is spiced up to create something fresh (compare it to taking ordinary soup broth and then adding a perfect combination of seasonings to make the best soup you ever had). Snow White also has some of the best music ever recorded. A lot of what Disney would later use to lesser effect in other films was birthed here: The animals who are there to give Snow White something to relate to, the animation timed out to song movements, the glorious foreground and background animation panels filmed to give a 3D effect. And the artistic detail rendered by hand in each frame is breathtaking. Only Pinocchio bettered this masterwork in terms of sheer artistry. The dwarfs naturally steal the show, but the scenes with the queen are given full weight in their creepiness. Not too scary but scary enough to send shivers down kids' spines. What a great movie with so much life and love poured into it! What a magnificent achievement! A must see!

The One That Started it All ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
23 November 2011

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is the triumph of guts, imagination and talent, an outstanding mixture that only a visionary genius like Walt Disney could have concocted. He was told it was a folly that would bankrupt his company, no one would endure bright colors and little creatures fooling around on a big screen for more than an hour… but since when do geniuses listen?

"It all started with a mouse" loved to remind Walt Disney, as an encouragement for people to believe in their dreams and never underestimate the magical value of the smallest creations. The road for success is paved from these little ideas, visions and intuitions … even the iconic Mickey Mouse would have been named Mortimer if it wasn't for a precious advice from Disney's wife. And starting with his iconic mascot, Walt Disney established a real laboratory on the field of animation. It was the famous 'Silly Symphonies' era that brought up to screen so many enchanting cartoons, featuring animals, trees, flowers and music in the purest tradition of European storytelling. When you compare "Flowers and Trees", first animated cartoon in colors made in 1932, with the unforgettable "Band Concert", made three years later, you realize how impressive the progresses were but when you see "The Old Mill", 1937 classic masterpiece of realism, you immediately get the feeling of a crucial step finally reached, and asking for something more adult, more revolutionary …

Mickey Mouse and the 'Silly Symphonies' contributed to the success of the Walt Disney company but what Disney needed was a flourishing empire, a bigger project that probably started with an innocent 'what if' question. Making an animated feature … think about it, in term of works, it's probably equivalent of making ten or twelve animated films with the same level of artistry as "The Old Mill" with the whole gallery of emotions we would expect from a film: thrills, laughs, passion, endearing characters and memorable songs. I make it sound like a 'business plan', but we're talking of the then highest grossing film of all time on which the whole existence of the Disney Company was jeopardized. If only for that, "Snow White" deserves all the praises for having been one of the most groundbreaking creations, on the same sensational level as "Star Wars", 40 years later.

And Disney couldn't have thought of a better story to begin with. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is in total aesthetic harmony with the 'Silly Symphonies' (the setting, the presence of animals) and the drawing, especially of the dwarfs as cartoon characters, was the final step of what was developed during a whole decade by the Disney studios, inspired from the old classic European drawings that always had a sort of cartoon feel. "Snow White" stylish simplicity makes it appealing on a universal and timeless level. It can look old but never dated, and Disney proved his international ambitions by allowing the foreign animation studios to adapt the frameworks to their own language. Disney meant business …

And the result is a triumph of both storytelling and perfectionism, Disney didn't think animation and made it into a film, he thought of a realistic film first, hence encouraged his staff to use classic designs to draw the face of Snow White, the Prince, and the Evil Queen, they might look very basic compared to Disney's following works but they're human enough to suspend the disbelief that we're watching a cartoon, an important element in order to catch the interest of the adults and awakes their inner child. And the film respected the viewer's comfort so much that the use of relief, perspective, zooming and lights and shadows was made in a constant attention to the smallest realistic details, and on that level, the making-of of "Snow White" is an inspirational encouragement for work and perfectionism, with dreams fulfillment as the pay-off.

Another interesting aspect relies on the character of Snow White herself, so unfairly mentioned as one of the least interesting Disney heroines, when her main interest was to be a foil for the dwarfs and the villain. The dwarfs prove how intuitive Disney was for his first film, as they allowed to provide a set of seven different personalities with an almost three-dimensional value, this is the fantastic trick of the film, try to watch the other versions of Snow White, and you'll see how cruelly lacking a personality the dwarfs are. It's almost impossible to think of them without visualizing Dopey, Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Happy and Bashful. And Snow White is the central of that universe, like the emotional core of the film that justifies the dwarfs' comicality, the Prince's passion and the Queen's evilness, another aspect of the film that provides it a timeless feel. The Evil Queen embodies the combination of beauty and vanity, she's so cold, she looks like a modern woman with an undeniable sex-appeal, and if one thing, she's the very proof of the Disney Golden Rule, there's no good Disney film without a great villain.

And thanks to a final and successful pacing, the rest is history and like every classic masterpiece, each scene of "Snow White" is a classic on its own, the forest with eyes, the dwarfs coming from home, the Queen's haunting metamorphosis, so many songs forever engraved in our memories, "Whistle While you work", "Heigh-Ho", "Someday my Prince Will Come" the party and a finale that would make all the people, kids or adults, in the world cry and laugh, and finally cheer … discovering the Disney effect, that for each laugh, there would be a tear, a feeling that would last for many decades over and over again.

Thank you, Mr. Disney for your contribution to the world of animation, film-making and entertainment!

An absolute classic to this day.

Author: Nick C. from United States
15 September 2011

When it comes to Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, known as the very first animated motion picture, only one word to describe it, CLASSIC! This film alone is the reason why animation is so strong and how Walt Disney became a king in the full-length animation industry. Certainly a lot better than the CG biz that we're seeing today. This film has got everything that we could hope for, a golden story, fantastic animation, & great characters, also there are a combination of emotions felt throughout the film, charm for Snow White and the Dwarfs, but at certain moments, that charm is outweighed by the horror elements from who might be the best Disney Villain to date. All in all, this film can either make u cry, laugh hysterically, or, like I was when I was little, make u jump off of your pants when u see the Witch, but either way, this piece of history is something that we all should see at anytime of our lives.

Disney's first masterpiece

Author: Criticman12 from United States
18 May 2011

Disney has been known for making animated classics like, "The Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin", and "The Little Mermaid". But when Walt Disney made Walt Disney studios, there first animated film was based on one of the greatest fairy tales ever made. Disney's first film was called, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

What make's this film a masterpiece is that it has the ingredients to make a great Disney film: Some lovable characters, some nice song's, great animation, and a great lead character.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", is one of those movies that will end up on everybody's, Top 10 list. If you haven't seen, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", watch this movie. It's really worth watching.

Despite its age still very good

Author: flyingamon from Belgium
23 March 2011

I don't know if I can say anything bad about this wonderful animation. Disney's first long animation still stands after 74 years. Although in my opinion not the best (I would give that honor to Aristocats)it's still among the top Disney movies. Considering this movie is from 1937 it's graphics have by no means become old. Although the story is simple, it does make up for that because of its entertaining characters. Thanks to Disney each of the dwarfs got a name and personality, something that was lacking in all the Snow White stories I have read in fairy tale books. The songs are unforgettable especially the hey ho song when the dwarfs go back home. As a kid I found the witch very scary and think she is the scariest of all the Disney villains. Snow White never gets old as I still enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it at 6 years old in theater. I would give it a 10 if it wasn't for the story to be that simple.

One of my favorites, maybe Disney's all time best. It proves that beauty defeats the wicked. Heigh-Ho!

Author: Danny Blankenship from Petersburg, Virginia
14 December 2010

From having watched this classic as a kid and to just recently viewing it, I must say that this picture is a timeless classic. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is an excellent moral tale of good against evil, it's a historical film as it was Disney's first full feature animated tale and it's paced along perfect with songs and uplifting scores. This film could be classified as a musical too.

Originating from a Grimms tale this is a magical moral story that will entertain one of any age as it's message is timeless. The story centers around a beautiful and kindhearted princess named Snow White and shamefully she is forced to be a working slave that scrubs floors and all this comes from her wicked and jealous stepmother the Queen. Still that doesn't hide the charm that this princess has as she charms every creature in the kingdom. Interesting and somewhat of a fortune telling experiment is the Magic mirror telling the Queen that Snow White is the fairest one of all. This enrages the Queen as she has deadly plans for Snow White so it's time for this little princess to get away.

Snow White goes on an uncertain journey adventure fleeing into the forest where she meets cute animals and later she befriends the odd and strange but lovable seven dwarfs named Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Happy, Bashful, Sleepy and Dopey. Lessons are learned and love is developed as these little guys learn to be neat and clean and whistle and "Heigh-Ho" while they work at an old diamond mine! Only a favor is returned to Snow White as the Queen's wicked transformation is pushed over a cliff with help from her seven friends. And a nice beautiful return to life from the deadly apple is provided in the form of the prince's kiss. And they live happily ever after in this wonderful fairy tale.

Overall one of Disney's best a good moral tale of good against evil proving that friendship helps and that beauty will win over the wicked. And the animation work was among Disney's earliest this is a highly memorable classic to be enjoyed with a loved one. So "Heigh-Ho".

Oh to go back in time.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
30 October 2010

It goes without saying that we have come a long way technically when it comes to animated feature films,but the thing I appreciate about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the fact that prior to it's 1937 release,audiences had seen nothing like it.If time travel were possible,I would go back and sit amongst that first lucky audience that was fortunate enough to see this.It would have made it that much more enjoyable.Kids today are spoiled by technical advances,so the animation most likely won't impress them,but they will be drawn in by it's story alone.I have a 6 year old daughter who loves this film,and even though Walt has been gone from this earth for a long time now,he is somewhere smiling at the fact that after 70 plus years,Snow White is still making kids of all ages smile.

Still The Most Adorable One Of All

Author: johnstonjames from United States
12 September 2010

imagine. in 2037, 'Snow' will be 100 years old. and she's even cuter than she ever was. i mean have you ever just sat and given this film a good hard look? aside from the scary parts, the film is probably one of the cutest animated features ever made. pure cuddly enchantment.

i like the Disney princess films (i know,for a guy that's so queer), i just can't help it. they are so feminine and sweet. especially 'Cinderella' and 'Snow White'. but i think 'Snow White' will always be my favorite one of all. it's definitely the sweetest. and you know what they say. if it's sweet, it's probably cute. in this case, ooky pooky snooky cute.

A Time when cartoons were meant to inspire love, peace and fun!

Author: yousufsmehmood from Pakistan
7 August 2010

A few days ago, I was pestered by some bugs in my brain. They kept saying, "Watch Snow White again!" and I, finally giving in to them, decided to watch the first of Disney's many animated films. I have to say that I don't remember having this much fun while watching a cartoon in a long time. I began to feel a bit weird after a while, because I am 17 and am not supposed to have fun watching cartoons anymore by the law of age. Then I thought, darn that law, this is awesome. The film made me realize that it was truly the age of innocence in which this film was made. This film inspired good, love, peace and was extremely fun to watch. The work put in to designing the dwarfs and their personalities has paid off and the mood and atmosphere set by the animators and the genius of Walt Disney is amazing. I don't care what the age law says, I'm getting this on DVD!