IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 8 of 19: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

One of the best animated movies ever!

Author: Stephen Verhaeren from Palos Park, IL USA
13 May 2002

Without Mr. Disney who would have made an animated movie? And I doubt that there was such a thing as animated movies, if Mr. Walt Disney didn't make this movie. And at this time before 1934 til 1937 there was just "short" animated cartoons. Not a full-length movie! As the movie opens, we learn from a book, that every day, the queen (Lucille La Verne) asks her magic mirror (Moroni Olsen) who the fairest in the land is, and every day it is the same answer, the queen is. Expect for one day, when the queen asks the same question, and the mirror replies that the fairest in the land is somebody else, and then the queen answers for her name, and the mirror gives her a couple of clues. And then the queen figues out that the new person is her step-daughter Snow White (Adriana Caselotti). And the queen sends her hunstman to kill her step-daughter. (Spoiler Warning) But the huntsman can't get himself to kill Snow White, so he tells her to run away and never return again. Snow White is taken in by the Seven Dwarfs. The quuen ordered the hunstman to return with Snow White's heart. (Spoiler Warning #2) The huntsman retruns with the heart of a pig, and when the queen asks her mirror who the fairest in the land is he replies that Snow White is, and when the queen shows the mirror her heart, the smartpants mirror tells her it is the heart of a pig.

A Masterpiece only Disney could have conjured up...

Author: White Dolphin
8 November 2000

[May contain slight spoilers, but who doesn't know the story of Snow White?]

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is said by many to be the first and the best. The first feature length animated motion picture- yes, no doubt about it. As for the best, I'm not that sure. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely see why many people would say that this is Disney's best. For me it would be very hard to say what was Disney's best of the best but if I had to choose top 10 our dear Snow White would be amongst them. It's quite an extraordinary film, especially considering the time it was made. It features characters you're bound to bump into at Disneyland, the characters who perhaps shaped future Disney characters to come. First we have- who else but our heroin a girl with lips red as the rose, hair black as ebony and skin white as snow... did you guess yet? Of course this is Snow White, and no wonder from that description why the Queen, her stepmother is so jealous of her. The Queen in Snow White if you ask me is the coldest and one of the cruelest Disney villains to have ever roamed on movie screens. In fact she was deemed so scary that in England children under the shocking age of 16 had to be accompanied by adults to see this movie. You can clearly see the effect the Queen had on Disney villains to come, after the animators' lesson with her, no villain became as cold and scary and usually from then on the villains were accompanied by humor and sarcasm, which the queen does not have. No, she is out for Snow White and does not stop for jokes- how does Snow White dare be prettier than her?! I tell you if this Queen was to attend a beauty pageant I pity the other contestants. And so the Queen hires a hunter to kill Snow White but who (but the queen) could kill Snow White? Such a young beautiful and lovable woman? The hunter warns Snow White and off into the forest she runs and that forest scene is still one of the scariest Disney animators have drawn. Soon enough we meet the seven dwarfs whose names reflect their personalities. I always believed that everyone on earth has a bit of each trait of each of the seven dwarfs in him. There's Doc (the 'leader' of the dwarfs). There's Happy, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy (who I am often compared to seeing that I can probably get into the Guinness Book of Records for most sneezes). And finally there are perhaps the two most memorable of the little men- Grumpy, the grumpiest of them all and Dopey who can't speak, he never tried. Dopey is also the more childlike dwarf and the only one without a beard. But do you really think Disney could let Snow White off that easy? Nope, neither did I. The Queen soon finds out that the heart that her huntsman gave her was not that of Snow White, but that of a pig's. Well then, dear Queeny here will not let Snow White be prettier than her (even though she's living in a little house somewhere in the woods where the only people who can see her are seven tiny men... just shows how cruel this queen was). She transforms into an old peddler woman, the transformation being one of Disney's most unforgettable scenes. She tricks Snow White into eating a poisonous apple and just when all hope is lost Prince Charming comes and kisses her and she awakens and... they lived happily ever after.

Flawless? No, is there a flawless movie? I highly doubt it and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is no exception, but like many other Disney movies it has very few and rather irrelevant flaws. The biggest thing that bothered me was the simple fact that the prince was to effeminate (as was the one in Cinderella but Sleeping Beauty proved that Disney could draw a more masculine prince). The songs include Some Day My Prince Will Come (a song which many girls, I know have sung to themselves), Whistle While You Work (which many people have heard so much that they have forgotten it is from Snow White). And of course who hasn't hummed Heigh Ho while in rush hour on their way to work? God knows, I've hummed it way too many times. The animation I will say is spectacular, of course more sophisticated animation was yet to come but it still remains very well- especially the animation of the evil queen. Ranks high up there, though maybe not at number one as one of Disney's greatest achievements and greatest motion pictures of all time.

A Wicked Witch to end all Wicked Witches !!

Author: muirino
25 October 2000

Snow White was and,in my opinion,still is Walt Disneys' "finest hour".This movie contains some excellent characterisations,and some of the most beautiful watercolour backgrounds ever to grace a Disney movie.Certain scenes still haunt the memory long after a first viewing... the Evil Queens'flight down the winding staircase and her subsequent transformation into what has to be the Wicked Witch to end all Wicked Witches...the Dwarfs Dig a Dig sequence in their Diamond Mine complete with sparkling jewels,and naughty little Dopey with the substandard diamonds glinting in his eyes.In short this has to be the all time Disney masterpiece.I would award this classic 10/10 Watch it.

Walt Disney is Genius!

Author: disneyland_one_fan from United States
9 June 2006

It was in 1933 Walt's mind began to picture a film that would revolutionize the industry of Hollywood forever. With a cost of over one million dollars and more then three years of production he could not afford a flop. Critics predicted the worst for Walt's film. Though it was impressive from the animators prospective no one else knew what to expect. On December of 1937 the world finally saw the masterpiece. People laughed and cried and were excited and were frightened. Walt received more money then he had ever dreamed of having. Today the film has earned more then $1 Billion! Though today we may look at it with a feeling... this film isn't that ahead of it's time. I saw one comment here saying that when Dumbo and Bambi were released it was much better quality. That is true, but like from all films, they have to learn from mistakes. They obvisiously learned amazingly!

The true classic

Author: CKCSWHFFAN from home
3 March 2006

What can you say about this film that has not been said already.

The original. A true classic film.

Still as beautiful to look at today.

Wonderful music. "The Silly Song" is my favorite.

Great characters. Dwarfs. Dopey & Grumpy are my favorites.

The Evil Queen is my 2cd favorite Disney Villain behind Maleficent.

I prefer the Evil Queen to her alter ego the Old Hag.

"Heigh Ho".

Voices for the characters were perfect. Too bad now most everyone who worked on the film has passed on.

Films are NOT made of this quality anymore. Way too bad.

"I'm Wishing".

A timeless and beautiful story for all ages.

Author: ellen-rouse from United States
28 February 2006

A wonderful story about goodness and evil in the world, with beautiful animation, timeless and beautiful music, some frightful events and endearing characters who show compassion and kindness to someone in need. I'm so grateful to have seen this movie in my childhood in an old and opulent movie theater when there were still red velvet curtains with gold light fixtures and an organ that came up out of the floor... when going to the movie was a very special occasion. Every Disney movie I saw in my childhood certainly befitted the opulent surroundings in which it was viewed by countless wide-eyed children who still love those movies as we share them with our grandchildren. We saw no religious or other symbolism in the evil queen with the apple, nor did we see Snow White's name as anything other than what it was. Our impressive little minds were not tarnished by any stereotyping of the dwarfs or the ugly witch or anything else. And the adorable bluebirds and other animals of the forest were just big bonuses for our wide-eyed innocence as we went home singing the opera-like tunes. Thanks, Walt, for this gift. I'm watching it with my daughters and grandchildren this Saturday - passing the torch.

Longing for the Days of Hand-Drawn Animation

Author: evanston_dad from United States
19 January 2006

Watching this first feature length Disney film is a reminder that today's slick computer-generated Pixar movies come at the expense of hand-drawn artistry. "Snow White" is horribly dated in some ways, especially apparent whenever Snow White herself breaks into that piercing, warbly soprano to sing some very familiar songs, but there are moments in this film that will take your breath away with their sheer beauty of animation. I especially liked the wicked queen, who's really scary, and not a jokey villain like those of Disney's more modern animated films. O.k. so a single attractive female shacking up with seven smitten men would make many an eyebrow raise today, but get your minds out of the gutter, people.

I can accept that technology changes, and today's animation offers many treats in its own right, but that doesn't mean I don't lament an art that has become by and large obsolete.

Grade: A

Charming Disney masterpiece which is very romantic

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
27 November 2005

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, in my opinion, is a charming Disney masterpiece which is very romantic. If you ask me, the queen (voice of Lucille La Verne) was truly diabolical. Still, she was very attractive. On the other hand, Snow White (voice of Adriana Caselotti) was very beautiful. In addition, as the magic mirror said, nothing could hide her beauty. Also, she could truly sing. Well, despite the fact that everyone in this film could sing, Snow White was the best. This would probably be because she did most of the singing. To me, the scenery was beautiful, the cast was well chosen, and the writing was strong. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did very well. Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this charming Disney masterpiece which is very romantic to all of you who haven't seen it. You're in for a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

The Best Animated Film of All Time

Author: ctrout from USA
3 October 2005

This is a simple story of friendship and courage brought beautifully to life by the master of animation, Walt Disney. It follows the story of a young girl who doesn't know that she's the fairest one of all. But the evil Queen does know this and will stop at nothing to rid the world of her beauty. Even if it means losing the Queen's own beauty.

The Queen sends someone to kill Snow White, but the man who has to fulfill the dirty deed cannot go through with it and sets Snow White free into the forest. She stumbles upon a vacant cottage in the heart of the wilderness. She naps there and is awakened by what she describes as little men.

These men learn to love Snow White as a friend and they live together in peace until the Queen learns that the beautiful girl is still alive and must destroy Snow White herself.

Even today that storyline is a little complex for most children. Yet everyone who sees it seems to love it and cherish it in their heart. It was the first of its kind and who knew that it would also end up being the best? This put Disney on the map as a major studio and also paved the way for the animated feature film.

It's definitely something you can't pass up and something you must show to your own children while they are young. I know they'll enjoy it as much as we all did when we were younger and I know they'll keep a special place in their heart for it because it's not only the best animated film, but also one of the best movies of all time.

You can't touch this.

Author: Rob Deschenes (kalibur@softhome.net) from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
15 January 2003

I agree wholeheartedly with many other critics; if not for the dwarfs and the woodland animals, SNOW WHITE probably would have faded with time. But the supporting cast is perfect. The landscape of the world in which Snow White and the dwarfs live in is astoundingly detailed. You can see the heart put into this movie. The DVD is sickeningly filled with everything on SNOW WHITE. No other animated feature can touch SNOW WHITE without paying some type of homage to it.

Princess Snow White lives as a maid thinking of love and talking to animals. When her step-mother, The Queen, is told she has been usurped as the fairest one of all by Snow White, jealously takes hold and our story begins.

Landmark, Revolutionary, The Greatest ... we have heard it all before and they are valid to a point. Maybe a century down the road when I am dead and our great-great grandchildren see this movie when it is horribly dated will we truly know. But I believe for my time, even when this movie has outlasted my grandfather, that SNOW WHITE remains one of the greatest movies ever, from one of the greatest gambles ever. I applaud everyone involved in making, restoring and maintaining this masterpiece.