IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 8 of 19: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

"The One That Started It All" Still Holds Up Well Today

Author: Cole Millions from Canada
20 August 2008

North America's first full length animated feature was a hit when it was first released, and I can say with the most confidence that it is still a hit today.

The Story is about a young girl named Snow White and all the trials and tribulations she has to go through. Snow White is a "slave" to her stepmother, "The Queen"( voiced beautifully by Lucille La Verne), but while doing all her work, she thinks of a prince and a brand new life for herself. Through many different events, (such as running through a dark and scary forest) Snow White reaches a cottage which is home to seven dwarfs. I wont say anymore, but the events that happen here are truly magical and add up well to the films exciting and maybe a little scary climax.

For a film made in 1937, this was quite ahead of its time. No one ever heard of someone producing a full length animated feature, and they thought the idea was completely absurd. Boy, did Disney prove them wrong! Modern film and animation owes a great deal to this film and all of the innovative things about it.

If you are looking to view this film and you don't currently own it, it might be hard to track down. The DVD version of the film is in "The Vault"(Disney has a nasty way of doing this sort of thing) and the only way to get it would be through a site like eBay or Amazon, or seeing if any Used DVD stores or your local Video Rental Store has any to sell. An alternative would be to see it on VHS if you have VHS player and the Snow White VHS.

All in all, this has to be one of my favorite films of all time, and I still like to curl up under a blanket with some popcorn whilst watching this movie.

10/10= Highly Recommended

This film is a magical spell which many have fallen under.

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
19 September 2007

Based on the Brothers Grimms' fairytale, this film is about a princess called Snow White who is looked after by her cruel stepmother, who is an evil witch. As long as the witch is the "fairest one of all", Snow White will be safe...

An indescribable amount of people love "Snow White", probably as their favourite film. Millions of people have fallen under its captivating and entertaining spell, loving the film in every way.

This, is indeed a very beautiful film, with memorable characters and very detailed animation, especially for that time. This film also has its laughs and is very cute.

No wonder so many people have fallen under "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs"'s spell! Although, surely there have to be other films out there that people could love just as much, or maybe even more?

This is not the best film in the world, but it CERTAINLY isn't the worst and everyone who watches it will like it in least one way. This film was also the start of the Disney company's fabulous line of animated films, good and less good.

Ah well. Enjoy "Snow White". :-)

The original Disney movie.

Author: tamimarie228 from Iowa
14 May 2007

Next to "The Lion King" this is one of the greatest Disney movies of all time. It was the first movie that I ever saw in the theater when I was about five or six years old. Someday her Prince will come along Snow White wishes as she looks into a wishing well. Her evil stepmother becomes extremely jealous and orders a Hench man to kill but he has a kind heart and Snow White runs away to live with the seven Dwarfs. I really thought that the witch/stepmother was really terrifying. Especially when Snow White looks up from making her pie and there she is, glaring at her from the window. It gave me the chills with the black hood and sunken eyes. There were a lot of happy parts of this movie and a lot of cheerful songs. In my opinion, it's tied with "The Lion King" as the best Disney movie ever made.

Timeless? Classic.

Author: FiendishDramaturgy from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
18 March 2007

While this work is incredible and does still stand up to scrutiny (especially with the upcoming digital transfer DVD release from Disney), I can't say that it's timeless. In viewing, it is very much a retrospect, considering the setting, scene, backgrounds, costumes, etc. Does that lessen the effectiveness of this work? Absolutely not. This is NOT one of those Disney classics, which would benefit from a remake!

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs definitely belongs in your Disney collection, is suitable for all ages, and has some of the most endearing characters of any Disney movie, ever, while featuring some of the best animation in Disney's repertoire.

This also features one of the best villains in the Disneyverse! This is my absolute favorite Disney Animated Classic.

It rates a 9.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.

One of the best animated movies ever!

Author: Stephen Verhaeren from Palos Park, IL USA
13 May 2002

Without Mr. Disney who would have made an animated movie? And I doubt that there was such a thing as animated movies, if Mr. Walt Disney didn't make this movie. And at this time before 1934 til 1937 there was just "short" animated cartoons. Not a full-length movie! As the movie opens, we learn from a book, that every day, the queen (Lucille La Verne) asks her magic mirror (Moroni Olsen) who the fairest in the land is, and every day it is the same answer, the queen is. Expect for one day, when the queen asks the same question, and the mirror replies that the fairest in the land is somebody else, and then the queen answers for her name, and the mirror gives her a couple of clues. And then the queen figues out that the new person is her step-daughter Snow White (Adriana Caselotti). And the queen sends her hunstman to kill her step-daughter. (Spoiler Warning) But the huntsman can't get himself to kill Snow White, so he tells her to run away and never return again. Snow White is taken in by the Seven Dwarfs. The quuen ordered the hunstman to return with Snow White's heart. (Spoiler Warning #2) The huntsman retruns with the heart of a pig, and when the queen asks her mirror who the fairest in the land is he replies that Snow White is, and when the queen shows the mirror her heart, the smartpants mirror tells her it is the heart of a pig.

A Masterpiece only Disney could have conjured up...

Author: White Dolphin
8 November 2000

[May contain slight spoilers, but who doesn't know the story of Snow White?]

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is said by many to be the first and the best. The first feature length animated motion picture- yes, no doubt about it. As for the best, I'm not that sure. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely see why many people would say that this is Disney's best. For me it would be very hard to say what was Disney's best of the best but if I had to choose top 10 our dear Snow White would be amongst them. It's quite an extraordinary film, especially considering the time it was made. It features characters you're bound to bump into at Disneyland, the characters who perhaps shaped future Disney characters to come. First we have- who else but our heroin a girl with lips red as the rose, hair black as ebony and skin white as snow... did you guess yet? Of course this is Snow White, and no wonder from that description why the Queen, her stepmother is so jealous of her. The Queen in Snow White if you ask me is the coldest and one of the cruelest Disney villains to have ever roamed on movie screens. In fact she was deemed so scary that in England children under the shocking age of 16 had to be accompanied by adults to see this movie. You can clearly see the effect the Queen had on Disney villains to come, after the animators' lesson with her, no villain became as cold and scary and usually from then on the villains were accompanied by humor and sarcasm, which the queen does not have. No, she is out for Snow White and does not stop for jokes- how does Snow White dare be prettier than her?! I tell you if this Queen was to attend a beauty pageant I pity the other contestants. And so the Queen hires a hunter to kill Snow White but who (but the queen) could kill Snow White? Such a young beautiful and lovable woman? The hunter warns Snow White and off into the forest she runs and that forest scene is still one of the scariest Disney animators have drawn. Soon enough we meet the seven dwarfs whose names reflect their personalities. I always believed that everyone on earth has a bit of each trait of each of the seven dwarfs in him. There's Doc (the 'leader' of the dwarfs). There's Happy, Sleepy, Bashful and Sneezy (who I am often compared to seeing that I can probably get into the Guinness Book of Records for most sneezes). And finally there are perhaps the two most memorable of the little men- Grumpy, the grumpiest of them all and Dopey who can't speak, he never tried. Dopey is also the more childlike dwarf and the only one without a beard. But do you really think Disney could let Snow White off that easy? Nope, neither did I. The Queen soon finds out that the heart that her huntsman gave her was not that of Snow White, but that of a pig's. Well then, dear Queeny here will not let Snow White be prettier than her (even though she's living in a little house somewhere in the woods where the only people who can see her are seven tiny men... just shows how cruel this queen was). She transforms into an old peddler woman, the transformation being one of Disney's most unforgettable scenes. She tricks Snow White into eating a poisonous apple and just when all hope is lost Prince Charming comes and kisses her and she awakens and... they lived happily ever after.

Flawless? No, is there a flawless movie? I highly doubt it and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is no exception, but like many other Disney movies it has very few and rather irrelevant flaws. The biggest thing that bothered me was the simple fact that the prince was to effeminate (as was the one in Cinderella but Sleeping Beauty proved that Disney could draw a more masculine prince). The songs include Some Day My Prince Will Come (a song which many girls, I know have sung to themselves), Whistle While You Work (which many people have heard so much that they have forgotten it is from Snow White). And of course who hasn't hummed Heigh Ho while in rush hour on their way to work? God knows, I've hummed it way too many times. The animation I will say is spectacular, of course more sophisticated animation was yet to come but it still remains very well- especially the animation of the evil queen. Ranks high up there, though maybe not at number one as one of Disney's greatest achievements and greatest motion pictures of all time.

A Wicked Witch to end all Wicked Witches !!

Author: muirino
25 October 2000

Snow White was and,in my opinion,still is Walt Disneys' "finest hour".This movie contains some excellent characterisations,and some of the most beautiful watercolour backgrounds ever to grace a Disney movie.Certain scenes still haunt the memory long after a first viewing... the Evil Queens'flight down the winding staircase and her subsequent transformation into what has to be the Wicked Witch to end all Wicked Witches...the Dwarfs Dig a Dig sequence in their Diamond Mine complete with sparkling jewels,and naughty little Dopey with the substandard diamonds glinting in his eyes.In short this has to be the all time Disney masterpiece.I would award this classic 10/10 Watch it.

Why do we love Disney?

Author: rbn_lrk-1 from Denmark
25 May 2014

I just watched Adamthewoo on Youtube doing another 24 hours Disneyland California.

One of the many famous rides are of course Snow White in the forest.

It all started in 1937 with a movie about a pretty Young girl Snow White banished from her Castle by a witch that reveals herself later on.

The girl meets seven dwarfs in the forest after getting lost at night.

In the meanwhile the witch tries to get rid of Snow White.

But, the movie ends of course happy ever after.

There are something for the Whole Family here.

Light and happy songs, an evil witch, retro animation from a forgotten time and more.

It gets very sweet, but there are some very dark parts too.

If you are very Lucky you might find the movie and the comic based on the movie in a shop somewhere.

Or even better maybe try your luck to find a Cinema showing.

Walt Disney is Genius!

Author: disneyland_one_fan from United States
9 June 2006

It was in 1933 Walt's mind began to picture a film that would revolutionize the industry of Hollywood forever. With a cost of over one million dollars and more then three years of production he could not afford a flop. Critics predicted the worst for Walt's film. Though it was impressive from the animators prospective no one else knew what to expect. On December of 1937 the world finally saw the masterpiece. People laughed and cried and were excited and were frightened. Walt received more money then he had ever dreamed of having. Today the film has earned more then $1 Billion! Though today we may look at it with a feeling... this film isn't that ahead of it's time. I saw one comment here saying that when Dumbo and Bambi were released it was much better quality. That is true, but like from all films, they have to learn from mistakes. They obvisiously learned amazingly!

The true classic

Author: CKCSWHFFAN from home
3 March 2006

What can you say about this film that has not been said already.

The original. A true classic film.

Still as beautiful to look at today.

Wonderful music. "The Silly Song" is my favorite.

Great characters. Dwarfs. Dopey & Grumpy are my favorites.

The Evil Queen is my 2cd favorite Disney Villain behind Maleficent.

I prefer the Evil Queen to her alter ego the Old Hag.

"Heigh Ho".

Voices for the characters were perfect. Too bad now most everyone who worked on the film has passed on.

Films are NOT made of this quality anymore. Way too bad.

"I'm Wishing".