IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 7 of 20: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The One That Started it All ...

Author: ElMaruecan82 from France
23 November 2011

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is the triumph of guts, imagination and talent, an outstanding mixture that only a visionary genius like Walt Disney could have concocted. He was told it was a folly that would bankrupt his company, no one would endure bright colors and little creatures fooling around on a big screen for more than an hour… but since when do geniuses listen?

"It all started with a mouse" loved to remind Walt Disney, as an encouragement for people to believe in their dreams and never underestimate the magical value of the smallest creations. The road for success is paved from these little ideas, visions and intuitions … even the iconic Mickey Mouse would have been named Mortimer if it wasn't for a precious advice from Disney's wife. And starting with his iconic mascot, Walt Disney established a real laboratory on the field of animation. It was the famous 'Silly Symphonies' era that brought up to screen so many enchanting cartoons, featuring animals, trees, flowers and music in the purest tradition of European storytelling. When you compare "Flowers and Trees", first animated cartoon in colors made in 1932, with the unforgettable "Band Concert", made three years later, you realize how impressive the progresses were but when you see "The Old Mill", 1937 classic masterpiece of realism, you immediately get the feeling of a crucial step finally reached, and asking for something more adult, more revolutionary …

Mickey Mouse and the 'Silly Symphonies' contributed to the success of the Walt Disney company but what Disney needed was a flourishing empire, a bigger project that probably started with an innocent 'what if' question. Making an animated feature … think about it, in term of works, it's probably equivalent of making ten or twelve animated films with the same level of artistry as "The Old Mill" with the whole gallery of emotions we would expect from a film: thrills, laughs, passion, endearing characters and memorable songs. I make it sound like a 'business plan', but we're talking of the then highest grossing film of all time on which the whole existence of the Disney Company was jeopardized. If only for that, "Snow White" deserves all the praises for having been one of the most groundbreaking creations, on the same sensational level as "Star Wars", 40 years later.

And Disney couldn't have thought of a better story to begin with. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is in total aesthetic harmony with the 'Silly Symphonies' (the setting, the presence of animals) and the drawing, especially of the dwarfs as cartoon characters, was the final step of what was developed during a whole decade by the Disney studios, inspired from the old classic European drawings that always had a sort of cartoon feel. "Snow White" stylish simplicity makes it appealing on a universal and timeless level. It can look old but never dated, and Disney proved his international ambitions by allowing the foreign animation studios to adapt the frameworks to their own language. Disney meant business …

And the result is a triumph of both storytelling and perfectionism, Disney didn't think animation and made it into a film, he thought of a realistic film first, hence encouraged his staff to use classic designs to draw the face of Snow White, the Prince, and the Evil Queen, they might look very basic compared to Disney's following works but they're human enough to suspend the disbelief that we're watching a cartoon, an important element in order to catch the interest of the adults and awakes their inner child. And the film respected the viewer's comfort so much that the use of relief, perspective, zooming and lights and shadows was made in a constant attention to the smallest realistic details, and on that level, the making-of of "Snow White" is an inspirational encouragement for work and perfectionism, with dreams fulfillment as the pay-off.

Another interesting aspect relies on the character of Snow White herself, so unfairly mentioned as one of the least interesting Disney heroines, when her main interest was to be a foil for the dwarfs and the villain. The dwarfs prove how intuitive Disney was for his first film, as they allowed to provide a set of seven different personalities with an almost three-dimensional value, this is the fantastic trick of the film, try to watch the other versions of Snow White, and you'll see how cruelly lacking a personality the dwarfs are. It's almost impossible to think of them without visualizing Dopey, Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Happy and Bashful. And Snow White is the central of that universe, like the emotional core of the film that justifies the dwarfs' comicality, the Prince's passion and the Queen's evilness, another aspect of the film that provides it a timeless feel. The Evil Queen embodies the combination of beauty and vanity, she's so cold, she looks like a modern woman with an undeniable sex-appeal, and if one thing, she's the very proof of the Disney Golden Rule, there's no good Disney film without a great villain.

And thanks to a final and successful pacing, the rest is history and like every classic masterpiece, each scene of "Snow White" is a classic on its own, the forest with eyes, the dwarfs coming from home, the Queen's haunting metamorphosis, so many songs forever engraved in our memories, "Whistle While you work", "Heigh-Ho", "Someday my Prince Will Come" the party and a finale that would make all the people, kids or adults, in the world cry and laugh, and finally cheer … discovering the Disney effect, that for each laugh, there would be a tear, a feeling that would last for many decades over and over again.

Thank you, Mr. Disney for your contribution to the world of animation, film-making and entertainment!

An absolute classic to this day.

Author: Nick C. from United States
15 September 2011

When it comes to Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, known as the very first animated motion picture, only one word to describe it, CLASSIC! This film alone is the reason why animation is so strong and how Walt Disney became a king in the full-length animation industry. Certainly a lot better than the CG biz that we're seeing today. This film has got everything that we could hope for, a golden story, fantastic animation, & great characters, also there are a combination of emotions felt throughout the film, charm for Snow White and the Dwarfs, but at certain moments, that charm is outweighed by the horror elements from who might be the best Disney Villain to date. All in all, this film can either make u cry, laugh hysterically, or, like I was when I was little, make u jump off of your pants when u see the Witch, but either way, this piece of history is something that we all should see at anytime of our lives.

Disney's first masterpiece

Author: Criticman12 from United States
18 May 2011

Disney has been known for making animated classics like, "The Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin", and "The Little Mermaid". But when Walt Disney made Walt Disney studios, there first animated film was based on one of the greatest fairy tales ever made. Disney's first film was called, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

What make's this film a masterpiece is that it has the ingredients to make a great Disney film: Some lovable characters, some nice song's, great animation, and a great lead character.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", is one of those movies that will end up on everybody's, Top 10 list. If you haven't seen, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", watch this movie. It's really worth watching.

Despite its age still very good

Author: flyingamon from Belgium
23 March 2011

I don't know if I can say anything bad about this wonderful animation. Disney's first long animation still stands after 74 years. Although in my opinion not the best (I would give that honor to Aristocats)it's still among the top Disney movies. Considering this movie is from 1937 it's graphics have by no means become old. Although the story is simple, it does make up for that because of its entertaining characters. Thanks to Disney each of the dwarfs got a name and personality, something that was lacking in all the Snow White stories I have read in fairy tale books. The songs are unforgettable especially the hey ho song when the dwarfs go back home. As a kid I found the witch very scary and think she is the scariest of all the Disney villains. Snow White never gets old as I still enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it at 6 years old in theater. I would give it a 10 if it wasn't for the story to be that simple.

Darker than you might expect...

Author: neopol313 from Manchester, England
2 February 2011

The first of Walt Disney's historic features was a pleasure to watch. Beautifully animated with deceptively gentle strokes, we are delicately guided through the Brothers Grimm's fairy tale. But this is still a fairy tale and a 1930′s film, made at a time where stories were not so toned down for our children, and a healthy dose of fear and horror was not shied away from.

Snow White is definitely a ditsy princess, so innocent that her counter has to be the personification of pure evil and she certainly is. The Queen, represents some of our darkest emotions, and there is little effort to tone this down, which I liked, a lot. She is evil, driven by her vain jealously to firstly attempt to have Snow White murdered, and then failing that, to poison her into a narcoleptic state and have her buried alive! Is this what you now think of a s Disney film, with a U rating? No, but thanks to this and the following films successes, this is a prized classic and untouchable. I think that this is a true family movie, with as much darkness as there is light, with some great musical numbers, indelible characters and an animation style which is truly timeless.

I mean this is a musical which was made in Technicolor less than ten years after the innovation of sound was introduced to black and white films. This is a film which children feel a part of and don't even compare to black and white's of the same era, which of course, they hate and don't feel are real.

Hats off to Walt, who I must admit, I've never really been a fan of, but I'm working my way through his classics and am liking what I am seeing so far

Oh to go back in time.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
30 October 2010

It goes without saying that we have come a long way technically when it comes to animated feature films,but the thing I appreciate about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the fact that prior to it's 1937 release,audiences had seen nothing like it.If time travel were possible,I would go back and sit amongst that first lucky audience that was fortunate enough to see this.It would have made it that much more enjoyable.Kids today are spoiled by technical advances,so the animation most likely won't impress them,but they will be drawn in by it's story alone.I have a 6 year old daughter who loves this film,and even though Walt has been gone from this earth for a long time now,he is somewhere smiling at the fact that after 70 plus years,Snow White is still making kids of all ages smile.

It's obvious that the Disney artists were still learning their craft, but a classic nonetheless

Author: Foux_du_Fafa from United Kingdom
17 October 2010

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is without a doubt one of the most important films in cinema history. There had been a few animated features beforehand (most notably Lotte Reiniger's "The Adventures of Prince Achmed", made with stop-motion shadow puppets), but this film truly proved the theory that an animated feature could be a successful form of mass entertainment. It therefore may as well be labelled the first animated feature film as Disney likes to claim. Equally important is the fact that it gave Hollywood the courage to do fantasy films; "The Wizard of Oz", after all, was MGM's attempt at topping this film.

Adapted from one of the greatest fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm, the film tells the story of a beautiful young princess named Snow White, who is forced to flee after her sorceress stepmother, simply referred to as the Queen, becomes morbidly jealous of her blossoming looks. Snow White stumbles upon the home of the titular diminutives, who vow to take her in after she explains her problems and highlights that she can cook (what a flattering portrait of both sexes!), not realising that the Queen may make a comeback.

The film is impressive, and has some wonderful moments. The Queen, with her murderous jealousy and closeted sorcery, is still one of Disney's most hissable villains, and that famous scene where she turns into the Witch is beautiful. The climax to the film is winning; even to this day, it remains gripping, fantastic and emotionally involving. Likewise, the visual style looks fantastic, truly like an Arthur Rackham illustration come to life; much praise should be given to the likes of Gustav Tenngren and Albert Hurter, who gave the film this whimsical style.

However, it is still quite evident in places that everyone was unsure of themselves, and there are some things that show that the whole crew were still learning their trade. There are scenes featuring the Dwarfs that seem to go on forever. Some sequences seems a bit disjointed from the last, jumping from one to the other in an almost confusing, disorientating way. The jump from Snow White cleaning the house to the Dwarfs singing "Heigh Ho" as they leave work is an example; yes, we all know that the Dwarfs live in that house from having seen the film a thousand times, but we're not properly told that they do, and the scene seems a bit random. And, as lovely as Snow White is, that voice can become cloying after a while.

On later films from the people under Walt, of improvement. The second animated feature, "Pinocchio", improves upon what could have been better in "Snow White" and pluses its positive attributes a great deal; "Cinderella", Walt's second princess-in-peril film, likewise certainly improves upon "Snow White" as far as plot and pace are concerned. Needless to say, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a true classic of cinema, a joy to young and old alike.

Still The Most Adorable One Of All

Author: johnstonjames from United States
12 September 2010

imagine. in 2037, 'Snow' will be 100 years old. and she's even cuter than she ever was. i mean have you ever just sat and given this film a good hard look? aside from the scary parts, the film is probably one of the cutest animated features ever made. pure cuddly enchantment.

i like the Disney princess films (i know,for a guy that's so queer), i just can't help it. they are so feminine and sweet. especially 'Cinderella' and 'Snow White'. but i think 'Snow White' will always be my favorite one of all. it's definitely the sweetest. and you know what they say. if it's sweet, it's probably cute. in this case, ooky pooky snooky cute.

A Time when cartoons were meant to inspire love, peace and fun!

Author: yousufsmehmood from Pakistan
7 August 2010

A few days ago, I was pestered by some bugs in my brain. They kept saying, "Watch Snow White again!" and I, finally giving in to them, decided to watch the first of Disney's many animated films. I have to say that I don't remember having this much fun while watching a cartoon in a long time. I began to feel a bit weird after a while, because I am 17 and am not supposed to have fun watching cartoons anymore by the law of age. Then I thought, darn that law, this is awesome. The film made me realize that it was truly the age of innocence in which this film was made. This film inspired good, love, peace and was extremely fun to watch. The work put in to designing the dwarfs and their personalities has paid off and the mood and atmosphere set by the animators and the genius of Walt Disney is amazing. I don't care what the age law says, I'm getting this on DVD!

The film that started the Disney Princess franchise

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
3 March 2009

Even though I am now 25 years old, I love the Disney Princesses, but an animated princess (or a live action one) needs no certain fan age group, and this is the film that started it all - Snow White.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is based on the German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. It was the first full length animated feature made in the Walt Disney Studios, and also the first American animated feature film in movie history. The story is a familiar one: raised by a wicked and vain Queen, after her royal parents died, beautiful Snow White is taken into the forest to be murdered. However, the Huntsman cannot commit the horrible deed, so she flees and finds refuge in the home of seven diamond-mine workers/dwarfs - Doc, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy, Sleepy, Grumpy, and Dopey.

My favorite musical scenes are The Wishing Well/Balcony scene and the "Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum" scene. To me that washing scene is like teaching cats to wash like humans - instead of using their tongues. So overall, I love this beautifully animated film, from beginning to end.