IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 7 of 19: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The jewel of animation

Author: Taylor Chesney from United Kingdom
10 November 2009

So Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the first ever animated feature length film, and people had told Disney 'It would never work'. Well, it appears that they were wrong in the end, as this is one of the most beautiful and amazing films, and that I am being honest! The character's are interesting and you never get bored of them, despite the Prince not having a major role. But that didn't bother me really, as all the scenes and songs are just amazing to watch and hear! This really is the jewel of animation. Animation has changed over the years, and a lot of people pay more attention to computer-animated films now. But I'll be surprised if somebody watches this movie and dosen't see how amazing 2-d animation can be. It is the inspiration for all animated movies, and it'll always be treasured. Simply Disney at it's best. No doubt.

Good

Author: jenkinsr628 from United Kingdom
24 July 2009

This version of Snow White and the seven dwarfs in my opinion is the best. Positive points i like about this movie are firstly the fact that there has been lots of animated versions of the fairytale made and none of them have out stood Disney's animation. Secondly i enjoy the charming songs in the movie because they are magical. Thirdly i like the voice talents for examples Pinto Colvig voiced Grumpy and Sleepy and they sounded so different. Also Lucille La Verne also voiced two characters - The Queen and The Witch.

Many animated versions have been produced of this charming fairytale and this one out stood them all with it's animation, songs, characters and that Disney touch! This animated version was the original and simply is the fairest of them all!! JCJ

Walt Disney was a genius when when he showed us this movie

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
28 April 2009

Being a big fan of animation Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is one of my favorites. Being Walt's first film and the first animated film it should be any animated film lovers favorite movie. I love it in the movie when Sneezy sneezes and it causes the dwarfs to go flying like a Hurricane wind and Grumpy says You crazy fool! By time you you pick to sneeze! I also liked Doc and his spoonerisms like when they arrive back at their house from the mines and Doc says Look! Our house the lits light uh the lights lit. That was hilarious! Filled with wonderful characters, music, story, comedy, and animation Snow White is a true animation treasure that no matter how old Snow White is as she's turning 72 years old this year she'll always be the fairest of them all! Walt Disney was a genius when he made Snow White in 1937. He deserved the award given to him by Shirley Temple in 1938 for the movie. God bless you Walt Disney and thank you for showing us what animation can do when you tell a wonderful and great story. Snow White will always be the fairest of them all!

The first feature-length animation by Disney is a true classic!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
24 February 2009

I loved this movie 10 years ago, and I still do. Sure it isn't the same as animation is now, but let's face it, most animation nowadays isn't very good. I can name a plethora of reasons why I love this movie. The animation is beautiful, with one or two stiff movements, but have a heart, it is the first Disney animation. The songs are mind-blowing, as well as the gorgeous incidental music(music similar to Great Expectations, 1946) that hardly anybody has mentioned. My favourite is "Someday my Prince Will Come", I cry every time I hear it. The characters are legendary, and the writing is top notch. Who can forget those adorable dwarfs, who added such a lot to this movie. Snow White is the weakest character but I like her innocence very much, and about her singing voice...it sounds weak, but in real life it must have been strong, and let me explain why. The colouratura soprano Amelita Galli-Curci was given the praise "a beautiful and limpid voice" yet I heard it on cassette and it sounds quite quiet. It has nothing to do with the size of the voice, but the quality of the recording. The best character was the wicked queen, who had the most classic animation scene I have ever seen... when she turns into a hag, which freaked me out big time when I was about 9, like Malificent from "Sleeping Beauty." To me the Queen is probably one of the scariest Disney villains ever. The scene at Snow White's coffin was heart-rending, and it was the music that made it so. All in all, a beautiful, funny and touching movie, and I can't believe some people hated this. 10/10. Bethany Cox

Don't stare at the retard, dear...

Author: mrmoo2001 from Australia
14 November 2008

Well, 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' was the first ever animated feature film, and it caused quite a stir in its time. However, three generations later, the question now is weather or not 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' has anything to offer besides the fact that it was first.

The answer to that is a simple "yes".

The animation is still pretty good by today's standards. The characters look rather flat given that they lack the computer shading we expect these days, but as far as animation goes it's actually pretty hard to fault.

The story of 'Snow White' is basically a sanitised version of the Brothers Grimm version - essentially what we'd now call a Disney fairy tale. Which means we don't get to see Snow White and Prince Charming brutally torturing the Queen to death. But overall it's a simple but effective tale about true love, good triumphing over evil, height-based segregation and how forest critters are more than happy to help you do the housework.

Made in 1937, the humour is a truly mixed bag. There are butt jokes and innuendoes that are either surprisingly raunchy for the 30's or so naïve that I could weep.

Other humour is harder to confuse - from the cutely humorous antics of the forest critters to the fact that Doc keeps tripping over his words, it's not laugh-out-loud stuff but it made me smile.

And then there is Dopey the dwarf, who is basically a retard that we all get to laugh at. But not in a callous way - Dopey is presented as a genuinely endearing slapstick fall-guy. You see? 'Snow White' goes places that no modern film would dare. I love it!

The characters - well, Snow White is an affront to emancipated women all over the world, jumping at every opportunity to do as much housework as possible as she waits for Prince Charming to come and sweep her off her feet. Then there's the evil Queen - the only female character with any initiative. She's a vain, bitchy murderess with a pathological fear of forest critters. Thanks for kicking women's lib in the balls, Disney.

The best thing about 'Snow White' is that it does all this with the utmost sincerity. There's not a trace of self-consciousness or irony to be found anywhere, and it works.

So in the end, while it has since been surpassed in pretty much every way, Disney's 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' is by no means bad and still makes for good family entertainment.

"The One That Started It All" Still Holds Up Well Today

Author: Cole Millions from Canada
20 August 2008

North America's first full length animated feature was a hit when it was first released, and I can say with the most confidence that it is still a hit today.

The Story is about a young girl named Snow White and all the trials and tribulations she has to go through. Snow White is a "slave" to her stepmother, "The Queen"( voiced beautifully by Lucille La Verne), but while doing all her work, she thinks of a prince and a brand new life for herself. Through many different events, (such as running through a dark and scary forest) Snow White reaches a cottage which is home to seven dwarfs. I wont say anymore, but the events that happen here are truly magical and add up well to the films exciting and maybe a little scary climax.

For a film made in 1937, this was quite ahead of its time. No one ever heard of someone producing a full length animated feature, and they thought the idea was completely absurd. Boy, did Disney prove them wrong! Modern film and animation owes a great deal to this film and all of the innovative things about it.

If you are looking to view this film and you don't currently own it, it might be hard to track down. The DVD version of the film is in "The Vault"(Disney has a nasty way of doing this sort of thing) and the only way to get it would be through a site like eBay or Amazon, or seeing if any Used DVD stores or your local Video Rental Store has any to sell. An alternative would be to see it on VHS if you have VHS player and the Snow White VHS.

All in all, this has to be one of my favorite films of all time, and I still like to curl up under a blanket with some popcorn whilst watching this movie.

10/10= Highly Recommended

This film is a magical spell which many have fallen under.

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
19 September 2007

Based on the Brothers Grimms' fairytale, this film is about a princess called Snow White who is looked after by her cruel stepmother, who is an evil witch. As long as the witch is the "fairest one of all", Snow White will be safe...

An indescribable amount of people love "Snow White", probably as their favourite film. Millions of people have fallen under its captivating and entertaining spell, loving the film in every way.

This, is indeed a very beautiful film, with memorable characters and very detailed animation, especially for that time. This film also has its laughs and is very cute.

No wonder so many people have fallen under "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs"'s spell! Although, surely there have to be other films out there that people could love just as much, or maybe even more?

This is not the best film in the world, but it CERTAINLY isn't the worst and everyone who watches it will like it in least one way. This film was also the start of the Disney company's fabulous line of animated films, good and less good.

Ah well. Enjoy "Snow White". :-)

The original Disney movie.

Author: tamimarie228 from Iowa
14 May 2007

Next to "The Lion King" this is one of the greatest Disney movies of all time. It was the first movie that I ever saw in the theater when I was about five or six years old. Someday her Prince will come along Snow White wishes as she looks into a wishing well. Her evil stepmother becomes extremely jealous and orders a Hench man to kill but he has a kind heart and Snow White runs away to live with the seven Dwarfs. I really thought that the witch/stepmother was really terrifying. Especially when Snow White looks up from making her pie and there she is, glaring at her from the window. It gave me the chills with the black hood and sunken eyes. There were a lot of happy parts of this movie and a lot of cheerful songs. In my opinion, it's tied with "The Lion King" as the best Disney movie ever made.

Timeless? Classic.

Author: CarelessMoonDruid from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
18 March 2007

While this work is incredible and does still stand up to scrutiny (especially with the upcoming digital transfer DVD release from Disney), I can't say that it's timeless. In viewing, it is very much a retrospect, considering the setting, scene, backgrounds, costumes, etc. Does that lessen the effectiveness of this work? Absolutely not. This is NOT one of those Disney classics, which would benefit from a remake!

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs definitely belongs in your Disney collection, is suitable for all ages, and has some of the most endearing characters of any Disney movie, ever, while featuring some of the best animation in Disney's repertoire.

This also features one of the best villains in the Disneyverse! This is my absolute favorite Disney Animated Classic.

It rates a 9.9/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Snow White is the Film of Ages.

Author: jachimp from London, England
10 December 2005

Withot this film, Disney would never have been so famous. Ever. For without it, Pixar wouldn't have been able to add it's amazing graphics for films like The Incredibles and Monsters Inc.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the story of a girl who possesses deep beauty, and a wicked Queen who possesses vanity.

The Wicked Queen without a doubt is the most cold and evil villain to grace the Land of Disney, and she is the first. Standards of villains in Disney today are below, with none being so frightening as even the Queens eyes.

Masterpiece.