IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 7 of 20: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Disney's first masterpiece

Author: Criticman12 from United States
18 May 2011

Disney has been known for making animated classics like, "The Lion King", "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin", and "The Little Mermaid". But when Walt Disney made Walt Disney studios, there first animated film was based on one of the greatest fairy tales ever made. Disney's first film was called, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

What make's this film a masterpiece is that it has the ingredients to make a great Disney film: Some lovable characters, some nice song's, great animation, and a great lead character.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", is one of those movies that will end up on everybody's, Top 10 list. If you haven't seen, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", watch this movie. It's really worth watching.

Despite its age still very good

Author: flyingamon from Belgium
23 March 2011

I don't know if I can say anything bad about this wonderful animation. Disney's first long animation still stands after 74 years. Although in my opinion not the best (I would give that honor to Aristocats)it's still among the top Disney movies. Considering this movie is from 1937 it's graphics have by no means become old. Although the story is simple, it does make up for that because of its entertaining characters. Thanks to Disney each of the dwarfs got a name and personality, something that was lacking in all the Snow White stories I have read in fairy tale books. The songs are unforgettable especially the hey ho song when the dwarfs go back home. As a kid I found the witch very scary and think she is the scariest of all the Disney villains. Snow White never gets old as I still enjoy it as much as the first time I saw it at 6 years old in theater. I would give it a 10 if it wasn't for the story to be that simple.

Darker than you might expect...

Author: neopol313 from Manchester, England
2 February 2011

The first of Walt Disney's historic features was a pleasure to watch. Beautifully animated with deceptively gentle strokes, we are delicately guided through the Brothers Grimm's fairy tale. But this is still a fairy tale and a 1930′s film, made at a time where stories were not so toned down for our children, and a healthy dose of fear and horror was not shied away from.

Snow White is definitely a ditsy princess, so innocent that her counter has to be the personification of pure evil and she certainly is. The Queen, represents some of our darkest emotions, and there is little effort to tone this down, which I liked, a lot. She is evil, driven by her vain jealously to firstly attempt to have Snow White murdered, and then failing that, to poison her into a narcoleptic state and have her buried alive! Is this what you now think of a s Disney film, with a U rating? No, but thanks to this and the following films successes, this is a prized classic and untouchable. I think that this is a true family movie, with as much darkness as there is light, with some great musical numbers, indelible characters and an animation style which is truly timeless.

I mean this is a musical which was made in Technicolor less than ten years after the innovation of sound was introduced to black and white films. This is a film which children feel a part of and don't even compare to black and white's of the same era, which of course, they hate and don't feel are real.

Hats off to Walt, who I must admit, I've never really been a fan of, but I'm working my way through his classics and am liking what I am seeing so far

Oh to go back in time.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
30 October 2010

It goes without saying that we have come a long way technically when it comes to animated feature films,but the thing I appreciate about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the fact that prior to it's 1937 release,audiences had seen nothing like it.If time travel were possible,I would go back and sit amongst that first lucky audience that was fortunate enough to see this.It would have made it that much more enjoyable.Kids today are spoiled by technical advances,so the animation most likely won't impress them,but they will be drawn in by it's story alone.I have a 6 year old daughter who loves this film,and even though Walt has been gone from this earth for a long time now,he is somewhere smiling at the fact that after 70 plus years,Snow White is still making kids of all ages smile.

It's obvious that the Disney artists were still learning their craft, but a classic nonetheless

Author: Foux_du_Fafa from United Kingdom
17 October 2010

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is without a doubt one of the most important films in cinema history. There had been a few animated features beforehand (most notably Lotte Reiniger's "The Adventures of Prince Achmed", made with stop-motion shadow puppets), but this film truly proved the theory that an animated feature could be a successful form of mass entertainment. It therefore may as well be labelled the first animated feature film as Disney likes to claim. Equally important is the fact that it gave Hollywood the courage to do fantasy films; "The Wizard of Oz", after all, was MGM's attempt at topping this film.

Adapted from one of the greatest fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm, the film tells the story of a beautiful young princess named Snow White, who is forced to flee after her sorceress stepmother, simply referred to as the Queen, becomes morbidly jealous of her blossoming looks. Snow White stumbles upon the home of the titular diminutives, who vow to take her in after she explains her problems and highlights that she can cook (what a flattering portrait of both sexes!), not realising that the Queen may make a comeback.

The film is impressive, and has some wonderful moments. The Queen, with her murderous jealousy and closeted sorcery, is still one of Disney's most hissable villains, and that famous scene where she turns into the Witch is beautiful. The climax to the film is winning; even to this day, it remains gripping, fantastic and emotionally involving. Likewise, the visual style looks fantastic, truly like an Arthur Rackham illustration come to life; much praise should be given to the likes of Gustav Tenngren and Albert Hurter, who gave the film this whimsical style.

However, it is still quite evident in places that everyone was unsure of themselves, and there are some things that show that the whole crew were still learning their trade. There are scenes featuring the Dwarfs that seem to go on forever. Some sequences seems a bit disjointed from the last, jumping from one to the other in an almost confusing, disorientating way. The jump from Snow White cleaning the house to the Dwarfs singing "Heigh Ho" as they leave work is an example; yes, we all know that the Dwarfs live in that house from having seen the film a thousand times, but we're not properly told that they do, and the scene seems a bit random. And, as lovely as Snow White is, that voice can become cloying after a while.

On later films from the people under Walt, of improvement. The second animated feature, "Pinocchio", improves upon what could have been better in "Snow White" and pluses its positive attributes a great deal; "Cinderella", Walt's second princess-in-peril film, likewise certainly improves upon "Snow White" as far as plot and pace are concerned. Needless to say, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is a true classic of cinema, a joy to young and old alike.

Still The Most Adorable One Of All

Author: johnstonjames from United States
12 September 2010

imagine. in 2037, 'Snow' will be 100 years old. and she's even cuter than she ever was. i mean have you ever just sat and given this film a good hard look? aside from the scary parts, the film is probably one of the cutest animated features ever made. pure cuddly enchantment.

i like the Disney princess films (i know,for a guy that's so queer), i just can't help it. they are so feminine and sweet. especially 'Cinderella' and 'Snow White'. but i think 'Snow White' will always be my favorite one of all. it's definitely the sweetest. and you know what they say. if it's sweet, it's probably cute. in this case, ooky pooky snooky cute.

A Time when cartoons were meant to inspire love, peace and fun!

Author: yousufsmehmood from Pakistan
7 August 2010

A few days ago, I was pestered by some bugs in my brain. They kept saying, "Watch Snow White again!" and I, finally giving in to them, decided to watch the first of Disney's many animated films. I have to say that I don't remember having this much fun while watching a cartoon in a long time. I began to feel a bit weird after a while, because I am 17 and am not supposed to have fun watching cartoons anymore by the law of age. Then I thought, darn that law, this is awesome. The film made me realize that it was truly the age of innocence in which this film was made. This film inspired good, love, peace and was extremely fun to watch. The work put in to designing the dwarfs and their personalities has paid off and the mood and atmosphere set by the animators and the genius of Walt Disney is amazing. I don't care what the age law says, I'm getting this on DVD!

The film that started the Disney Princess franchise

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
3 March 2009

Even though I am now 25 years old, I love the Disney Princesses, but an animated princess (or a live action one) needs no certain fan age group, and this is the film that started it all - Snow White.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is based on the German fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm. It was the first full length animated feature made in the Walt Disney Studios, and also the first American animated feature film in movie history. The story is a familiar one: raised by a wicked and vain Queen, after her royal parents died, beautiful Snow White is taken into the forest to be murdered. However, the Huntsman cannot commit the horrible deed, so she flees and finds refuge in the home of seven diamond-mine workers/dwarfs - Doc, Happy, Bashful, Sneezy, Sleepy, Grumpy, and Dopey.

My favorite musical scenes are The Wishing Well/Balcony scene and the "Bluddle-Uddle-Um-Dum" scene. To me that washing scene is like teaching cats to wash like humans - instead of using their tongues. So overall, I love this beautifully animated film, from beginning to end.

The first feature-length animation by Disney is a true classic!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
24 February 2009

I loved this movie 10 years ago, and I still do. Sure it isn't the same as animation is now, but let's face it, most animation nowadays isn't very good. I can name a plethora of reasons why I love this movie. The animation is beautiful, with one or two stiff movements, but have a heart, it is the first Disney animation. The songs are mind-blowing, as well as the gorgeous incidental music(music similar to Great Expectations, 1946) that hardly anybody has mentioned. My favourite is "Someday my Prince Will Come", I cry every time I hear it. The characters are legendary, and the writing is top notch. Who can forget those adorable dwarfs, who added such a lot to this movie. Snow White is the weakest character but I like her innocence very much, and about her singing sounds weak, but in real life it must have been strong, and let me explain why. The colouratura soprano Amelita Galli-Curci was given the praise "a beautiful and limpid voice" yet I heard it on cassette and it sounds quite quiet. It has nothing to do with the size of the voice, but the quality of the recording. The best character was the wicked queen, who had the most classic animation scene I have ever seen... when she turns into a hag, which freaked me out big time when I was about 9, like Malificent from "Sleeping Beauty." To me the Queen is probably one of the scariest Disney villains ever. The scene at Snow White's coffin was heart-rending, and it was the music that made it so. All in all, a beautiful, funny and touching movie, and I can't believe some people hated this. 10/10. Bethany Cox

Don't stare at the retard, dear...

Author: mrmoo2001 from Australia
14 November 2008

Well, 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' was the first ever animated feature film, and it caused quite a stir in its time. However, three generations later, the question now is weather or not 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' has anything to offer besides the fact that it was first.

The answer to that is a simple "yes".

The animation is still pretty good by today's standards. The characters look rather flat given that they lack the computer shading we expect these days, but as far as animation goes it's actually pretty hard to fault.

The story of 'Snow White' is basically a sanitised version of the Brothers Grimm version - essentially what we'd now call a Disney fairy tale. Which means we don't get to see Snow White and Prince Charming brutally torturing the Queen to death. But overall it's a simple but effective tale about true love, good triumphing over evil, height-based segregation and how forest critters are more than happy to help you do the housework.

Made in 1937, the humour is a truly mixed bag. There are butt jokes and innuendoes that are either surprisingly raunchy for the 30's or so naïve that I could weep.

Other humour is harder to confuse - from the cutely humorous antics of the forest critters to the fact that Doc keeps tripping over his words, it's not laugh-out-loud stuff but it made me smile.

And then there is Dopey the dwarf, who is basically a retard that we all get to laugh at. But not in a callous way - Dopey is presented as a genuinely endearing slapstick fall-guy. You see? 'Snow White' goes places that no modern film would dare. I love it!

The characters - well, Snow White is an affront to emancipated women all over the world, jumping at every opportunity to do as much housework as possible as she waits for Prince Charming to come and sweep her off her feet. Then there's the evil Queen - the only female character with any initiative. She's a vain, bitchy murderess with a pathological fear of forest critters. Thanks for kicking women's lib in the balls, Disney.

The best thing about 'Snow White' is that it does all this with the utmost sincerity. There's not a trace of self-consciousness or irony to be found anywhere, and it works.

So in the end, while it has since been surpassed in pretty much every way, Disney's 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' is by no means bad and still makes for good family entertainment.