IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 6 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Snow White is the Film of Ages.

Author: jachimp from London, England
10 December 2005

Withot this film, Disney would never have been so famous. Ever. For without it, Pixar wouldn't have been able to add it's amazing graphics for films like The Incredibles and Monsters Inc.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the story of a girl who possesses deep beauty, and a wicked Queen who possesses vanity.

The Wicked Queen without a doubt is the most cold and evil villain to grace the Land of Disney, and she is the first. Standards of villains in Disney today are below, with none being so frightening as even the Queens eyes.

Masterpiece.

Amazing and Powerful film.

Author: MayorWilkins502 from USA
12 November 2004

I love this movie. It is much darker however than most would think. I girl is forced to flee into the forest to escape the evil queen. This queen is the most serious villain and most insane in my recent memory. Not only does she try to kill Snow White twice, but is into witchcraft and sacrifices her own good looks to destroy her stepdaughter's. And of course the music, animation, characters and voice talents are wonderful. This is Walt Disney's dream, share it with your children.

I would be advised that today, the Witch would probably give this a PG rating. But it is worth it in the end to see good triumph over evil. And considering this was done in 1937, the animation and dedication of those animators is stunning.

Question for men (or women who might know)

Author: beegirll
5 February 2014

So we all know that Snow White is innocent, sweet, loving etc. Basically in my eyes she would be the type of girl I'd want a serious relationship with if I were a guy. My question is, do guys these days girls like Snow White? Do they appreciate her sweet old fashioned qualities? OK I realize she was like around 15-16 years old, but I mean even women in their 20's and 30's can be this way. I understand we all lose some innocence along the way because that's a part of life. But we can still have innocent like qualities and be feminine like she was. So, do guys appreciate this type of girl? I'm starting to see more and more guys going for the opposite.

Beautiful classic

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 January 2012

Personally, I think that most of the classic animated films produced by Disney are quite underrated. Many people dismiss those films, mostly because they consider them to be "only for kids".

In fact, it is not only Disney films: Many good animation films are ignored and labeled as kid's stuff, disregard of the quality of the histories or the visual beauty of them. Even in the recent year, with the success of cartoons such as "The Simpsons", "South Park", King of the Hill" and even "Family Guy" (Though I hate that show), animation is still considered a "minor" genre, with the children always being considered as the main target of it. Personally, I don't care about those prejudices: I have seen many animated films and series during my whole life. Some of them were good, others were bad…Some were excellent, and also, there were some animated films that had more artistic value and were more mature than many live-action films, even those that are considered "classics".

And even when "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" it's a movie "for kids" (I prefer to say that it's a movie for the whole family) that doesn't avoid it to have many artistic qualities that could be appreciated by the adults: In fact, I have to say this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. Not only the quality of the animation it's incredibly good even by modern standards (Actually, the animation from this film seems much more fluid and "alive" than many of the recent movies made with CGI, with splendid sceneries, and a lovely use of colors) but also the story of this film, (despite that it could be considered way too simple by modern viewers) has a unique feeling of magic that not many movies have, being comparable with classic movies such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Thief of Bagdad"…That "magic" is present in every single scene from this movie, where everything seems to be made with love and effort, an honest work made for the enjoyment of the audience, a quality that most of the modern movies have forgotten in order to became heartless product for the mass consumption.

They don't make animated movies like this anymore, which is such a shame. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" totally deserves to be considered as a classic. This might sound strange, but personally I think that, even today, this movie is incredibly underrated, and deserves way more love than it receives.

Longing for the Days of Hand-Drawn Animation

Author: evanston_dad from United States
19 January 2006

Watching this first feature length Disney film is a reminder that today's slick computer-generated Pixar movies come at the expense of hand-drawn artistry. "Snow White" is horribly dated in some ways, especially apparent whenever Snow White herself breaks into that piercing, warbly soprano to sing some very familiar songs, but there are moments in this film that will take your breath away with their sheer beauty of animation. I especially liked the wicked queen, who's really scary, and not a jokey villain like those of Disney's more modern animated films. O.k. so a single attractive female shacking up with seven smitten men would make many an eyebrow raise today, but get your minds out of the gutter, people.

I can accept that technology changes, and today's animation offers many treats in its own right, but that doesn't mean I don't lament an art that has become by and large obsolete.

Grade: A

Charming Disney masterpiece which is very romantic

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
27 November 2005

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, in my opinion, is a charming Disney masterpiece which is very romantic. If you ask me, the queen (voice of Lucille La Verne) was truly diabolical. Still, she was very attractive. On the other hand, Snow White (voice of Adriana Caselotti) was very beautiful. In addition, as the magic mirror said, nothing could hide her beauty. Also, she could truly sing. Well, despite the fact that everyone in this film could sing, Snow White was the best. This would probably be because she did most of the singing. To me, the scenery was beautiful, the cast was well chosen, and the writing was strong. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone involved in this film did very well. Now, in conclusion, I highly recommend this charming Disney masterpiece which is very romantic to all of you who haven't seen it. You're in for a good time, so go to the video store, rent it or buy it, kick back with a friend, and watch it.

The Best Ever!!

Author: Legos from Churubusco
18 October 1998

Snow White is easily the best animated feature ever produced. Spectacular animation, good, evil, romance and the best music ever.

The Original always is and will be the best

Author: Sam smith (sam_smithreview) from London, Englad
27 April 2016

I feel like i'm on a classic movie marathon doing all these reviews of old and classical movies. There isn't much that hasn't already been said about "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" 1937 version, Walt Disney's first feature length animated film. Suffice it to say that it not only fulfilled the studio's hopes beyond their wildest dreams. The movie that made possibility of the Disney films that followed it. From the famous Grimm fairy tale about a beautiful princess who flees her jealous stepmother and finds refuge with seven friendly dwarfs, Walt Disney created a cinematic milestone. At the time the film was in production until the day it was released, rival producers were supposedly referring to it as "Disney's Folly".Although this myth has been recently debunked in film historian JB. Kaufman's magnificent new book (''The Fairest One Of All:The Making Of Walt Disney's Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs''Weldon Owen/Disney Press, 2012)it's true that only after it's huge success, did fellow movie makers attempt their own full-length cartoon features. Upon it's debut, at Hollywood's Carthay Circle theater, (December 21, 1937)the film was embraced both by critics and audiences, grossing many times it's then record (for an animated film) $1.5 million budget. Eight successful reissues have kept the movie in the public consciousness now for over six decades, during which time the field of animation has grown by leaps and bounds. Still. despite the cinematic advances and the passage of time, "Snow White" stands alone. While the classic story is but a framework for the film (a fact which troubled me for years), "Snow White" can be fully enjoyed for the pioneer it truly is.

Along, with a splendid cast of voice actors/ actresses headed by Adriana Caselotti (Snow White) Harry Stockwell (father of Guy and Dean, as the Prince) and Lucille La Verne (The Queen). Much time and effort went toward developing the characters of the Seven Dwarfs and giving each a distinct personality (absent in the original story) which went a long way in making audiences care for Snow White's plight. Interestingly enough, although the fairy tale was toned down considerably to make it more "family friendly", the overzealous way in which the film makers transformed the Wicked Queen into a hideous hag at the climax was the subject of an incredible amount of controversy at the time. In fact, it was under a partial ban in England which made it off-limits to children under 16 years of age! Nevertheless, it was the recipient of a special Academy Award in 1938.

Disney's Initial Landmark.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
20 April 2016

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937): Dir: David Hand / Voices: Adriana Caselotti, Lucille La Verne, Harry Stockwell, Roy Atwell, Stuart Bachanan: First animated feature from Walt Disney is a stunning achievement about a slave girl named Snow White. The title is a reference to purity and influence. It is something Walt Disney joined in favor of its seemingly mystical translation. She labors for her evil Queen mother who grows frustrated when her magic mirror informs her that Snow White is the fairest of them all. Perhaps she needs to learn how to take criticism. She orders that Snow White be killed but she flees into the forest and befriended by seven dwarfs. They each have distinguishing qualities in which their names are based. Soon the Queen tricks Snow White into eating a poisonous apple leaving a Prince to break the spell with a kiss. This is problematic because the idea of an enchanted kiss is never explained but just accepted as a romantic notion. Beautifully animated with imaginative storytelling and directing by David Hand. Adriana Caselotti voices Snow White whose wakened kissed came before over the counter drugs. Lucille La Verne steals scenes as the evil Queen. The Prince is an absolute bore. The seven dwarfs are identified by their name glitches as oppose to personalities. The huntsman refuses to slay Snow White. The result is an enchanting landmark spectacular. Score: 8 ½ / 10 / Writing: 66% / Themes: 100% / Acting: 60% / Directing: 100% / Visual: 100%

Snow White Review

Author: aileencorcoran from Ireland
16 January 2016

So, I've decided to watch and review all Disney animated classics, their sequels and TV shows. Naturally, I started with "Snow White," which (prepares body armour) I'd never seen.

The story is based on the Brother's Grimm tale,and was the first ever fully animated motion picture, released in 1937. It was Adolf Hitler's favourite movie. The more you know.

Within, we have Snow White, a pale skinned, raven haired beauty who trusts everyone like a derpy puppydog, but is so nice you can't help but enjoy her. She is the prettiest in the land, much to the unease of her stepmother, the Evil Queen. Queenie orders her loyal huntsman to off Snow, but she is just so smexy and innocent that he balks, and lets her go. Snow runs through the forest in terror, only to come across some friendly animals, who guide her to a humble cottage owned by seven dwarfs. The dwarfs agree she can stay, and in return Snow offers to keep house. Everything is fine and dandy, until Queenie discovers that Snow is NOT dead, that the heart she requested is a pig's, so she magics herself into an ugly hag, creates a poison apple and sets off to do Snow in herself.

The story is simple, and Snow isn't the most amazing heroine, but she is nice. REALLY nice. She happy and chipper, yet quite assertive in the do-as-your-mother-says way. Her curiosity and innocence is both endearing and grating; her excitement over a tiny chair is just too sweet, yet her swooning over this hunky prince dude is just blegh, but maybe I'm just a cynic. Snow meshes well with her dwarf pals, and has a likable, soothing aura, which is saying something for an animated character. The dwarfs are good fun, and are easily the highlight of the movie. Each have their own distinct personality and each gets to shine through, hell they even look very different, kudos to that! They couldn't do that in the Hobbit where there was like, twenty of them? My favourite was Grumpy; I just love the old curmudgeon with the heart of gold. When he's the first one to jump on a deer to save Snow I was cheering on the inside, haha.

Where the film truly stands out is the animation and backgrounds. The colours, even though not as bright as the later Disney films, are still vibrant. The backgrounds are stunning, and I hope Disney do something like "Bolt" and bring painterly backgrounds in again. The animation is so smooth, and the musical and comedic timing is spot on, especially in the "Whistle While You Work" sequence, however they did that was amazing, it is easily the best part of the film for me. The shading is amazing too, the shadows and different tones make the film come to life. It's truly a moving painting. The music is pretty neat too, what with the score (was some of it reused or used in homage in "101 Dalmatians years later?) and the timeless songs. Except "Someday My Prince Will Come." Oh my Lord. I'll take the same stance as Grumpy on that one! Overall, "Snow White" does hold up pretty damn well, especially in the animation and technical department. The message, well I'm not sure if there is one, but that doesn't matter much. I mean, Snow just barges into the dwarf's house and cleans up the place, she takes the apple from Queenie-Hag after being told by her new pals not to trust anyone. Yet there's the whole never judge the book by it's cover, listen to others, don't trust strangers and be patient. The ending where hunky prince charming comes along to smooch Snow had me thinking, is he like the Grim Reaper? Carrying her up to his castle on the clouds, while the dwarfs say goodbye? The ending was more bittersweet than happy to me, which is interesting.

"Snow White" is truly a timeless classic, and a magnificent foundation for what was to come from Uncle Walt.