IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 5 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Wonderful animation classic

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
5 January 2016

Wonderful animation classic.

A Disney movie, based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale. A young princess, Snow White, is despised by her jealous Queen. The Queen arranges for a huntsman to kill Snow White in the forest, but he is unable to do it. Snow White escapes into the forest, stumbling across a house occupied by what appears to be seven children...

Revolutionary for its time, and still brilliant today, Snow White is an absolute classic, not just among animated movies or Disney movies, but among movies full stop. Sweet story, excellent animation that still looks fantastic today and some great songs, many of which are instantly recognisable even if you haven't seen the movie before.

Ideal for all ages too - not just a children's movie.

The Fairest of them All

Author: hpotter1397 from Boston, MA
10 August 2013

No one believed it would succeed. Everyone called it "Disney's Folly". And yet, it was a giant money maker, grossing over $8 million, established its creator as a master filmmaker, and created a genre, changing history forever. "Beauty and the Beast", "The Lion King", "Toy Story", and "Finding Nemo" all owe to this movie: "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

Released in 1937 and re-released in 1944, 1952, 1958, 1967, 1975, 1983, 1987 (50th anniversary), and 1993, "Snow White" has charmed audiences for decades. But is it the classic everyone hails it as? Yes, it is. "Snow White" stands out as one of the best films in the Disney canon. We all know the story, so I'm not going to write it all out, just use IMDb's synopsis: Snow White, pursued by a jealous queen, hides with the Dwarfs; the queen feeds her a poison apple, but Prince Charming awakens her with a kiss.

The animation in the film is gorgeous, even by today's standard (save the Huntsman and the Prince, they look somewhat odd). Snow White genuinely looks like a young girl, and the Queen looks like a real woman. The way the Dwarfs are drawn is enjoyable, and so are the characters. Snow White is kind, cheerful, good with animals, and has a good personality (not to mention the fact she became a mother to the Seven Dwarfs - a tough job). The Dwarfs are all memorable and lovable, with Grumpy and Dopey being the most liked. The Queen is a great villain. Her drive to kill a young girl so she can be the most beautiful, which makes her go insane is incredibly disturbing and creepy, and the way she looks as the Witch is great. The film's music and songs are also perfect and memorable, with "Heigh-ho" and "Someday my Prince will Come" as the standouts. This is also perfectly paced, with sweet moments, scary moments, and time for character development.

So, what else can I say? Gorgeous animation, memorable characters, perfect music, and a brilliantly constructed plot. A true cinematic masterpiece not to be missed.

it stars a witch other witches wanna be like

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
27 December 2012

Disney's first full length animated feature is just masterful, the thing is, it is so good that it is very hard to believe that this is the first, the one that began the Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast Tarzan and more. The movie boasts of a score that you will love and come to respect. Disney's beginning was so good that you just have to dip your hat to the dream of Walt Disney himself. It features the depth of imagination from the Disney crew that has long be welcomed and has been their trademark for years, nothing beats the names of the seven dwarfs and their characters.

Before Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the Disney studio had been producing animated short subjects in the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies series. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was to be the first full length cel animated feature in motion picture history, and to be able to keep up with the high production cost of over 1 million dollars which is considerably high for any movie at all in 1937, Disney had to mortgage his house.

The plot foundation is taken from the Grimm stories of Snow White, and Disney's seven dwarfs twist is what stands in the memory most as the story of Snow White.

Disney's gamble at that time was seen as foolishness, with many trying to talk him out of it, but after the movie was done and the first viewing was over, not only did Disney get a 10 minutes standing ovation, he also received a full size Oscar statuette and seven miniature ones for his work, this was presented to him by 10 year old child star actress Shirley Temple.

It has also received many other notable recognition in its time, it is listed as the 34th greatest movie of all time in the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) and it is listed in their AFI's 10 Top 10 animated Film, as the number 1 Animated film of all time. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs provided enough revenue for Disney to build his studio, and also provided enough for them to make another two animations, Pinocchio and Fantasia. Snow White is the first of its kind, and the great thing about it is that it is not just a celebrated mediocre of an attempt at something different, the movie is a good animation, one you will most enjoy.

www.lagsreviews.com

A timeless and unforgettable start of a great entertainment industry

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
10 August 2012

Before the beginning of the World War II in the 1940s, an entertainment industry was born and while most of the movies were made in the early 1910s and 1920s, a man named Walt Disney and several of his workers created a company known as the Walt Disney Company, a light-hearted entertainment industry, by releasing their very first animated full length feature, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" based on the Grimm fairy tale of the same name.

It tells the story about Snow White, a girl dressed rags who meets a prince. The queen, after becoming jealous of her beauty which will result in taking the queen's place as ruler of the kingdom, sends his huntsman to take her far into the forest where he can kill her. When he tried to kill her, he apparently lets her go after telling her of the Queen's plan. She runs into a forest, but after making some encounters with some forest friends, they take her to a cottage where she along with the animals clean it up. Little does Snow White know that this cottage belongs to the seven dwarf men, who then find her and decided to make friends with her and let her stay for as long as she likes. Meanwhile, the Queen, having found out the Snow White is still alive, transforms herself into an old hag and makes a poison apple so she can give it to her and will result in sleeping death.

For their first attempt at an animated feature that will lead to their success and create other classics, Disney has done a fantastic job and to me, I remembered watching this as a child and it finally grew out on me which is why I'm giving this a full 100%. The story is very original with an emotional feeling to it and the pacing is really good with some scenes that aren't drag. The characters are extremely likable. Snow White, although the weakest of the other Disney princess, is at least decent, the prince only appears in the beginning and the end, but was OK. The seven dwarfs are so funny. Doc, Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, and Sneezy are great and the hilarious moments with them are enjoyable to watch, but the only character who steals the show the most is the Queen who is by far a great Disney villain. Her motives are excellent and her old hag form scared the living soul out of me as a child. The voice acting for the characters are what I would like to say "excellent", but the strongest aspects goes to the memorable songs (I'm Wishing, Whistle While You Work, Heigh Ho, The Silly Song, Someday My Prince Will Come) and the beautiful animation I've ever seen in any film out there today.

Overall, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will always remain to Disney-fans as one of the most classic films in cinema history before MGM would later do the same thing by making The Wizard of OZ, an adaptation of L. Frank Baum's classic book. This deserves a higher thumbs up from me!

Still the fairest of them all.

Author: Jordan Hunt from United Kingdom
4 April 2012

The first of a growing cannon of classics, 'Snow White' epitomises the Walt Disney Company ethos of dreams coming true. The world's first feature length animated film succeeds not only as a masterpiece of filmmaking, but also in being the earliest representation of jokes and tropes that are nowadays a common cliché.

With an opening credit dedicated to the perseverance of his team of animators and various other personnel, the enormity of the task that was Walt Disney's original ambitious endeavour is clear in its first few frames. Everything audiences take for granted in the new millennium of computer wizardry and computer generated effects marks a milestone in his earliest classic, from its sheer length to its lasting beauty.

The movie's charm never relents, but is also genuine and never overbearing. The story is simple, yet efficient and effective. 'Snow White' is a condensed vessel for the studio's genius, every shot brimming with creativity, a timeless labour of love that proved how all that would follow might be possible.

Walt Disney's vision is never compromised, from references to gore through terrifying sequences of hauntings and witchcraft. It's this determination to make people laugh, to make them scared, to take them on a journey that makes 'Snow White' a wonderfully immersive celebration of storytelling.

Darker than you might expect...

Author: neopol313 from Manchester, England
2 February 2011

The first of Walt Disney's historic features was a pleasure to watch. Beautifully animated with deceptively gentle strokes, we are delicately guided through the Brothers Grimm's fairy tale. But this is still a fairy tale and a 1930′s film, made at a time where stories were not so toned down for our children, and a healthy dose of fear and horror was not shied away from.

Snow White is definitely a ditsy princess, so innocent that her counter has to be the personification of pure evil and she certainly is. The Queen, represents some of our darkest emotions, and there is little effort to tone this down, which I liked, a lot. She is evil, driven by her vain jealously to firstly attempt to have Snow White murdered, and then failing that, to poison her into a narcoleptic state and have her buried alive! Is this what you now think of a s Disney film, with a U rating? No, but thanks to this and the following films successes, this is a prized classic and untouchable. I think that this is a true family movie, with as much darkness as there is light, with some great musical numbers, indelible characters and an animation style which is truly timeless.

I mean this is a musical which was made in Technicolor less than ten years after the innovation of sound was introduced to black and white films. This is a film which children feel a part of and don't even compare to black and white's of the same era, which of course, they hate and don't feel are real.

Hats off to Walt, who I must admit, I've never really been a fan of, but I'm working my way through his classics and am liking what I am seeing so far

Snow White-Some Day They'll Make Pictures Like this Again ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
21 March 2010

A rare treat, especially in these times, of a wonderful magnitude conveys the story of "Snow White."

Forced to flee into the forest from a death decree by her wicked step-mother, the queen, Snow White falls into the loving hands of the 7 dwarfs who with their completely different personalities provide the need affection that she craves. They warn her to keep the door locked for they know that the Queen will stop at nothing to kill Snow White, so that she can be the fairest of them all.

It is to be noted that Lucille LaVerne played both the wicked Queen and the old woman disguised to bring death to Snow White. Miss LaVerne was the wicked woman with the guillotine in 1935's memorable "A Tale of Two Cities," as well as the loving mother in 1931's "An American Tragedy," which was made over as "A Place in the Sun," in 1951.

This film is a **** production in every sense of the word. That beautiful voice by Adriana, as Snow White, will hearken you back to your childhood in the spring.

Timeless

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
26 February 2010

Although I've known the story all my life, I never actually saw this movie as a kid. Watching it all the way through for the first time, I was amazed; watching it over and over with my daughter, my appreciation only grows.

Snow White isn't my favorite Disney movie, but I don't think you can overstate its influence. I also acknowledge that it has its flaws--Snow White's submissive character and her squeaky voice are often criticized. I also don't think the songs are that great, but where I will defend this movie is in its storytelling. Yes, it is a very simple plot, but that is its strength. It relies on visuals and keeps things uncomplicated, which means that very young children can understand some of the action, even if they aren't able to follow the entire story arc. It's the same reason that the first half of Wall-E gets so much praise. Both have breathtaking visuals, also--they way that Snow White and the witch move is actually more interesting to watch, for me, than almost anything else in animation. I think I read somewhere that they were rotoscoped, which is a process that has been used before and since, but for me, this is the pinnacle of what the technique can do.

So many of the animated movies of the last 20 years are filled with adult-level in-jokes, sarcastic sidekicks, and rapid-fire pacing that plays to short attention spans. It would be nice to have more stories that didn't try to be so full of irony, and instead focus on the things that make a story truly timeless.

Good

Author: jenkinsr628 from United Kingdom
24 July 2009

This version of Snow White and the seven dwarfs in my opinion is the best. Positive points i like about this movie are firstly the fact that there has been lots of animated versions of the fairytale made and none of them have out stood Disney's animation. Secondly i enjoy the charming songs in the movie because they are magical. Thirdly i like the voice talents for examples Pinto Colvig voiced Grumpy and Sleepy and they sounded so different. Also Lucille La Verne also voiced two characters - The Queen and The Witch.

Many animated versions have been produced of this charming fairytale and this one out stood them all with it's animation, songs, characters and that Disney touch! This animated version was the original and simply is the fairest of them all!! JCJ

Walt Disney was a genius when when he showed us this movie

Author: jvfunn1 from Zephyrhills FL
28 April 2009

Being a big fan of animation Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is one of my favorites. Being Walt's first film and the first animated film it should be any animated film lovers favorite movie. I love it in the movie when Sneezy sneezes and it causes the dwarfs to go flying like a Hurricane wind and Grumpy says You crazy fool! By time you you pick to sneeze! I also liked Doc and his spoonerisms like when they arrive back at their house from the mines and Doc says Look! Our house the lits light uh the lights lit. That was hilarious! Filled with wonderful characters, music, story, comedy, and animation Snow White is a true animation treasure that no matter how old Snow White is as she's turning 72 years old this year she'll always be the fairest of them all! Walt Disney was a genius when he made Snow White in 1937. He deserved the award given to him by Shirley Temple in 1938 for the movie. God bless you Walt Disney and thank you for showing us what animation can do when you tell a wonderful and great story. Snow White will always be the fairest of them all!