IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 4 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Still fair

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
5 March 2014

For all its historical importance, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) is not treated well by most Disney fans. It is tolerated, but not respected or loved. Common complaints fall upon the heroine being too passive, the music being too dated, too much padding, etc. No film is perfect, even great films, but my God, people are too harsh on this one.

No other Disney film possesses the innocence of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It has a freshness, an excitement to it. It's as though you could feel the animators' joy in every frame. There is no hip irony or cynicism on display, no need to be subversive or cool. The whole thing is a fairy tale played straight and with tons of heart. It isn't hard to see why weary Depression audiences so readily took it to their hearts and declared it "the happiest thing since Armistice".

Snow White is not complex or super interesting as a character, but she has more of a personality than she is given credit for. She is also tougher than you'd think: she's a young teenage girl from an abusive home, yet she still believes she should keep a positive view of life and tries her best to stay optimistic through all her troubles. That's admirable. As for her warbling soprano, many will not favor it and yes, it is dated. However, don't be too harsh there. After all, I doubt the modern pop hit "Let It Go" in Frozen (2013) will gracefully age either.

Of course, the dwarfs are all lovable and entertaining. The Queen/Witch is chilling, one of the finest Disney villains. The Prince... well, he's rather dull. Honestly, I don't get the criticism of Snow's supposed lack of personality; she has it all over her prince.

The animation is still beautiful, even if there are a few awkward moments due to rotorscoping and experimentation. The muted color scheme is lovely, a great contrast to the exhausting bright colors which saturate modern animation (I mainly think of the garish Hercules (1997) or The Lorax (2012)). The backgrounds give one the impression of a children's storybook come to life.

Overall, this is a great film and we are still feeling its influence (for better or worse, since American animation is rarely allowed to leave the Snow White model). Without a doubt, it deserves more respect from modern audiences.

A milestone in cinema...still the greatest animated film of all time

Author: LoneWolfAndCub from Australia
30 June 2011

Having just picked up quite possibly the last copy of the recent Diamond Edition of this film, and watching for the first time in 15 years, I am compelled to write this review. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is 74 years old this year, and it doesn't feel like it has aged a bit. What everyone thought would be a flop is the reason we have the likes of Pinocchio (1940), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Toy Story (1995) and Tangled (2011). This film blew away audiences back then, being hailed as one of the greatest cinematic achievements and even being proclaimed the greatest film of all time by Russian director Sergei M. Eisenstein. The amazing thing is, Snow White blew people away when it was re-released in 2001 in the Platinum Edition, reminding people that the older Disney movies are timeless, and will never be topped.

Adapted from the Grimm Fairytale and made family-friendly, Snow White follows the story of...Snow White (Adriana Caselotti), who is proclaimed the "fairest of them all," much to the distaste of her stepmother, The Queen (Lucille La Verne). A hunter is hired to take Snow White out into the woods and kill her, returning her heart to The Queen as proof, but having a change of heart, lets Snow White escape. She stumbles across an old house in the woods, which houses seven dwarfs.

The re-master is gorgeous, highlighting just how beautiful the animation is, and why hand-drawn will always be the best. The animals are cute as ever, the "evil woods" scene looks stunning, The Queen's transformation still frightening, and the final scene in the storm is just as epic as it was when I was five! I forgot just how many fantastic musical numbers this movie had, with "Whistle While you Work," "Heigh Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" sounding as good as ever.

This film spawned some of the greatest family films of all time, with Pinocchio, Bambi, Dumbo and Fantasia following straight after Snow White's success. As a 20 year old guy, I thought the magic may have worn off, but this film is a lasting legacy, a testament to the brilliance of these old Disney films. Watching this again, I found myself smiling at the antics of the dwarfs, singing to songs I'd long forgotten, and crying with the dwarfs over Snow White's body. Snow White has managed to enchant audiences for 74 years, and will continue doing so for as long as I can imagine.

The one that started it all is still the fairest one of all

Author: Tabitha West from United Kingdom
1 March 2010

In early 1934, when production started,everyone thought Walt Disney was mad to make the first ever animated feature film. All that changed on December 21,1937, as Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs was embraced by not only critics, but everyone.

And how it is still loved today. Nobody gets old enough for Snow White, and I doubt anybody will.

It is simply the original fairytale, only animated. It has a few changes from the original tale, but really, I'd say the changes are for the better. The characters are amazing, each has their own unique look and personality to them,and the voice acting is outstanding.

The whole look of the movie is beautiful, every moment is enchanting. Out of every single film out there, and I'm just not talking about animated films, if there is one film that I think has the most beautiful moments, it's Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs.

The songs are simply a pleasure to hear. From 'I'm Wishing' to 'Someday My Prince Will Come', you'll fall in love.

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs is the best animated film of all time. It may not be my favourite(That being The Lion King), but no doubt it is the BEST of all time. In fact, I think it's one of the best films of all time. It's simply incredible, with humour, drama, romance and even some intense scenes. I rented out the new Diamond edition a few weeks ago, and can I just say, it looks as if it were made yesterday, no lie.

For anyone, I would most certainly recommend Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. It's the one that started it all, and it will always be the fairest one of all.

The jewel of animation

Author: Taylor Chesney from United Kingdom
10 November 2009

So Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the first ever animated feature length film, and people had told Disney 'It would never work'. Well, it appears that they were wrong in the end, as this is one of the most beautiful and amazing films, and that I am being honest! The character's are interesting and you never get bored of them, despite the Prince not having a major role. But that didn't bother me really, as all the scenes and songs are just amazing to watch and hear! This really is the jewel of animation. Animation has changed over the years, and a lot of people pay more attention to computer-animated films now. But I'll be surprised if somebody watches this movie and dosen't see how amazing 2-d animation can be. It is the inspiration for all animated movies, and it'll always be treasured. Simply Disney at it's best. No doubt.

Beautiful classic

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 January 2012

Personally, I think that most of the classic animated films produced by Disney are quite underrated. Many people dismiss those films, mostly because they consider them to be "only for kids".

In fact, it is not only Disney films: Many good animation films are ignored and labeled as kid's stuff, disregard of the quality of the histories or the visual beauty of them. Even in the recent year, with the success of cartoons such as "The Simpsons", "South Park", King of the Hill" and even "Family Guy" (Though I hate that show), animation is still considered a "minor" genre, with the children always being considered as the main target of it. Personally, I don't care about those prejudices: I have seen many animated films and series during my whole life. Some of them were good, others were bad…Some were excellent, and also, there were some animated films that had more artistic value and were more mature than many live-action films, even those that are considered "classics".

And even when "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" it's a movie "for kids" (I prefer to say that it's a movie for the whole family) that doesn't avoid it to have many artistic qualities that could be appreciated by the adults: In fact, I have to say this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. Not only the quality of the animation it's incredibly good even by modern standards (Actually, the animation from this film seems much more fluid and "alive" than many of the recent movies made with CGI, with splendid sceneries, and a lovely use of colors) but also the story of this film, (despite that it could be considered way too simple by modern viewers) has a unique feeling of magic that not many movies have, being comparable with classic movies such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Thief of Bagdad"…That "magic" is present in every single scene from this movie, where everything seems to be made with love and effort, an honest work made for the enjoyment of the audience, a quality that most of the modern movies have forgotten in order to became heartless product for the mass consumption.

They don't make animated movies like this anymore, which is such a shame. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" totally deserves to be considered as a classic. This might sound strange, but personally I think that, even today, this movie is incredibly underrated, and deserves way more love than it receives.

You've got to like it...whether you like it or not

Author: joseph-51 from Merrie Olde England
26 November 2003

For almost 70 years, Walt Disney Pictures have brought you classics such as Pinocchio, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Alice in Wonderland and ...erm...The Fox and the Hound (something went wrong there). But you wouldn't have been able to be able to watch forty-three animated hits, plus many semi-cartoon classics like Mary Poppins if it weren't for the first fairy tale adaptation:

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS.

You've got to like it. One must appreciate it was the first of its genre. I must admit I prefered Pinocchio (the second Disney classic which followed) as a child. And that's not saying Snow White is rubbish. It's a beautiful and jolly film. It's got a lot of good points, as well as bad points. Note possible spoilers.

The film opens as a white book helping set the scene that the Queen is vain and selfish. We then zoom into the Queen's bedroom in which see her see who is beautiful and if she's the sexiest woman in Cartoonland. Unfortunately, the Mirror says Snow White is. The Queen starts to show her evil by her bid to kill ther mysterious princess stepdaughter. The Queen's dialogue is beautiful, similar to that of Lady Macbeth (Walt did partially base the Queen's character on the Shakespearian villainess). The language is at it's beat in the transformation scene.

The next scene is where we meet Snow White. This is where the film falls flat. Snow White is a giggly bimbo with a freaky voice. If a pop singer had that kind of voice these days, she would fade away. Since when did Britney Spear's voice vibrate rapidly in a nausiating fashion? What's more, as the film progresses, the character gets even more nausiating. Snow White is even more stupid than the Mad Maddame Mim from Walt Disney's Classic The Sword in the Stone. In the last scene where she talks, she lets a strange stranger in, despite the warnings from the Dwarfs. And that didn't get her anywhere, did it now?

The Prince is equally as stupid. Unlike in Sleeping Beauty or The Little Mermaid, the Prince did not join in the Let's-Kill-The-Witch scene, which destroys his character as a Robin Hood hero and changes him into a lazy slob of a Prince.

The Dwarfs, on the other hand, are loveable and believable, mainly due to the fact that everybody is like one of the Seven Dwarfs. But my favourite character is the Henchman. By keeping him out of the story a lot, he is the only fully believable true-human character. Just shows how Disney works wonders with people, doesn't it?

What started it all is still very strong today.

Author: datautisticgamer-74853 from Chicago, Illinois, US
30 April 2016

Even today, nearly 79 years after premiering in American theaters, Snow White is still a top-tier film not just because of its cultural/historical/aesthetic significance, but because only Walt Disney knew that if animation was to be treated as a film medium, it would need to have lots of thought put into it. With excellent humor, charming and very lovable characters (for the most part), and songs that still hold up today, Disney had succeeded in transforming animation into anything but a genre, which, sadly, is what most audiences think of these types of movies today. Appreciate not just the importance to animation, but also the character development and the story. This was a movie that I could see frequently, for my grandparents have it on VHS, and it has been a family favorite like Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and The Fox and The Hound. We were proud of Disney back then, and we are still proud of Disney for recognizing that animation is not meant to be catered to children via dumb humor and unnecessarily over-the-top movement (looking at you, Sony). As the highest grossing film of 1937, there is no reason whatsoever for you, the reader, to not check it out.

The Original always is and will be the best

Author: Sam smith (sam_smithreview) from London, Englad
27 April 2016

I feel like i'm on a classic movie marathon doing all these reviews of old and classical movies. There isn't much that hasn't already been said about "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" 1937 version, Walt Disney's first feature length animated film. Suffice it to say that it not only fulfilled the studio's hopes beyond their wildest dreams. The movie that made possibility of the Disney films that followed it. From the famous Grimm fairy tale about a beautiful princess who flees her jealous stepmother and finds refuge with seven friendly dwarfs, Walt Disney created a cinematic milestone. At the time the film was in production until the day it was released, rival producers were supposedly referring to it as "Disney's Folly".Although this myth has been recently debunked in film historian JB. Kaufman's magnificent new book (''The Fairest One Of All:The Making Of Walt Disney's Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs''Weldon Owen/Disney Press, 2012)it's true that only after it's huge success, did fellow movie makers attempt their own full-length cartoon features. Upon it's debut, at Hollywood's Carthay Circle theater, (December 21, 1937)the film was embraced both by critics and audiences, grossing many times it's then record (for an animated film) $1.5 million budget. Eight successful reissues have kept the movie in the public consciousness now for over six decades, during which time the field of animation has grown by leaps and bounds. Still. despite the cinematic advances and the passage of time, "Snow White" stands alone. While the classic story is but a framework for the film (a fact which troubled me for years), "Snow White" can be fully enjoyed for the pioneer it truly is.

Along, with a splendid cast of voice actors/ actresses headed by Adriana Caselotti (Snow White) Harry Stockwell (father of Guy and Dean, as the Prince) and Lucille La Verne (The Queen). Much time and effort went toward developing the characters of the Seven Dwarfs and giving each a distinct personality (absent in the original story) which went a long way in making audiences care for Snow White's plight. Interestingly enough, although the fairy tale was toned down considerably to make it more "family friendly", the overzealous way in which the film makers transformed the Wicked Queen into a hideous hag at the climax was the subject of an incredible amount of controversy at the time. In fact, it was under a partial ban in England which made it off-limits to children under 16 years of age! Nevertheless, it was the recipient of a special Academy Award in 1938.

A marvelous movie !

Author: stenholmgabriel from Sweden
7 April 2016

A real masterpiece ? This film has the usual stunning Disney animation A simple jet effective story and good characters. It is as impossible to dislike this movie as it is to dislike Snow White herself. The songs are memorable,the dwarfs unforgettable and the Queen menacing. This was one of the first Disney movies i saw, and it is as good now as it was the first time i saw it ! It's timeless masterpiece about a wonderful person(Snow White)and her quest to find love and you root for her all the way.

This also has a great Swedish dubbing courtesy of Doreen Denning the queen of dubbing animated films to Swedish. Her dubbs always keeps high quality! and this is no exception.

This movie comes highly recommended !

Snow White Review

Author: aileencorcoran from Ireland
16 January 2016

So, I've decided to watch and review all Disney animated classics, their sequels and TV shows. Naturally, I started with "Snow White," which (prepares body armour) I'd never seen.

The story is based on the Brother's Grimm tale,and was the first ever fully animated motion picture, released in 1937. It was Adolf Hitler's favourite movie. The more you know.

Within, we have Snow White, a pale skinned, raven haired beauty who trusts everyone like a derpy puppydog, but is so nice you can't help but enjoy her. She is the prettiest in the land, much to the unease of her stepmother, the Evil Queen. Queenie orders her loyal huntsman to off Snow, but she is just so smexy and innocent that he balks, and lets her go. Snow runs through the forest in terror, only to come across some friendly animals, who guide her to a humble cottage owned by seven dwarfs. The dwarfs agree she can stay, and in return Snow offers to keep house. Everything is fine and dandy, until Queenie discovers that Snow is NOT dead, that the heart she requested is a pig's, so she magics herself into an ugly hag, creates a poison apple and sets off to do Snow in herself.

The story is simple, and Snow isn't the most amazing heroine, but she is nice. REALLY nice. She happy and chipper, yet quite assertive in the do-as-your-mother-says way. Her curiosity and innocence is both endearing and grating; her excitement over a tiny chair is just too sweet, yet her swooning over this hunky prince dude is just blegh, but maybe I'm just a cynic. Snow meshes well with her dwarf pals, and has a likable, soothing aura, which is saying something for an animated character. The dwarfs are good fun, and are easily the highlight of the movie. Each have their own distinct personality and each gets to shine through, hell they even look very different, kudos to that! They couldn't do that in the Hobbit where there was like, twenty of them? My favourite was Grumpy; I just love the old curmudgeon with the heart of gold. When he's the first one to jump on a deer to save Snow I was cheering on the inside, haha.

Where the film truly stands out is the animation and backgrounds. The colours, even though not as bright as the later Disney films, are still vibrant. The backgrounds are stunning, and I hope Disney do something like "Bolt" and bring painterly backgrounds in again. The animation is so smooth, and the musical and comedic timing is spot on, especially in the "Whistle While You Work" sequence, however they did that was amazing, it is easily the best part of the film for me. The shading is amazing too, the shadows and different tones make the film come to life. It's truly a moving painting. The music is pretty neat too, what with the score (was some of it reused or used in homage in "101 Dalmatians years later?) and the timeless songs. Except "Someday My Prince Will Come." Oh my Lord. I'll take the same stance as Grumpy on that one! Overall, "Snow White" does hold up pretty damn well, especially in the animation and technical department. The message, well I'm not sure if there is one, but that doesn't matter much. I mean, Snow just barges into the dwarf's house and cleans up the place, she takes the apple from Queenie-Hag after being told by her new pals not to trust anyone. Yet there's the whole never judge the book by it's cover, listen to others, don't trust strangers and be patient. The ending where hunky prince charming comes along to smooch Snow had me thinking, is he like the Grim Reaper? Carrying her up to his castle on the clouds, while the dwarfs say goodbye? The ending was more bittersweet than happy to me, which is interesting.

"Snow White" is truly a timeless classic, and a magnificent foundation for what was to come from Uncle Walt.