IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 4 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

What generosity.

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
25 June 2014

Before Snow White, animation was three minutes of motion as chickens sang, cows and dogs played instruments and all to tinny pre-school music. For this film, the animators under Walt Disney's supervision had to create an entirely new process, they had to create not just well-rounded characters but they had to reinvent an entirely new film method of language in order to design a film literally from scratch.

It wasn't enough to simply put together a cohesive story. The world inside Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is populated in every inch of the screen with supporting characters: rabbits, birds, turtles, deer, skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, mice, etc. They packed the frame so that everything is always in motion and we are never faced with any negative space. Where most films are interested in the two or four characters in the center, the animator's genius was to create a population, a full-rounded world that suggested that space existed just off camera. That, in our minds, creates an orientation of three-dimensional space onto a film that doesn't have any. Live action films always have space off-camera, but in animation, it doesn't exist.

The technological marvel was the multi-plane camera which allowed objects in the foreground and the background to move independently of one another and independently of the central action. It also allowed the objects in the frame to move at various speeds and various distances to create a three-dimensional feel. This was long before computers, when animation was a painstaking practice in which each cell was drawn and painted one-by-one by hand (production on this film actually began in 1934). On the multi-plane camera, pieces of the artwork were lain on various platters on the camera that moved independently of one another so the various cells could move opposite of one another. The result was that a house in the background could have objects moving independently in the foreground.

The animators had the talent to create a palette that was alive. Take, for example, Snow White's nightmare journey through the forest as the branches of the trees reach out and the eyes bear down upon her. It would be enough just to have a girl frightened by the forest but to see it through her eyes to visualize the nightmare is part of the extra step, the further burst of inspiration. It wasn't entirely necessary to give the trees eyes or to draw them in such detail that they have twisted, angry faces, but it adds a level of generosity to the visuals.

But the palette would be nothing without expressive characters to put in front of it. The seven dwarfs have faces that are expressive, with big eyes, wide mouths and soft-round bodies, much like a child. And with the details in character design, they were also infused with emotions. Take for example the scene in which the dwarfs mourn for Snow White, their teary faces hung down in true expression. It would be one thing if the dwarfs simply cried, but note how the light and shadow play across their sad faces. No two characters are alike, no two characters move alike. There's real sadness in that scene. The whole movie is like that. The Dwarfs are seen as individuals, and we can easily tell them apart by more than their names and corresponding tics. The same can be said for the wicked queen, whose face glows with stunning beauty and whose disguise, an old crone, is round and somewhat inviting (we can understand the trap that Snow White falls into).

Ironically, the least impressive characters are Snow White and Prince Charming. They look and act and movie with such realism that they aren't quite as interesting. How would Snow White have lasted in history if the Disney animators had given her more animated dimension, more to the tone of the dwarfs? And despite the title, the dwarfs and the evil Queen actually dominate the picture. They are so exaggerated that they have more room to play. The Queen too has exaggerated movements but only after she is transformed into the old crone.

What Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs offers is the full experience of what the canvas of an animated feature can do. It explores a storytelling medium that would be severely limited in a live-action movie and frees it up to expand imagination. Others have come along and others have done better, but Snow White came first and it's was a major step from what had come before. What genius. What generosity of the visuals. What imagination.

"Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations."

Author: utgard14 from USA
3 June 2014

My favorite Disney film. Obviously its historical importance can't be stressed enough but let's not overlook how wonderfully entertaining it is. If you like sweet, colorful fairy tale stories, it doesn't get much better than this. There are lots of memorable scenes and songs. The characters are lively and fun, even the evil Queen. It should also be pointed out that, for all of the adorable animals and dwarfs, there are some genuinely spooky parts, too. Snow White fleeing through the shadowy forest is possibly my favorite scene of the whole movie. The Queen's ultimate fate is also quite dark. It's really a terrific film. A timeless classic that is essential viewing for everybody. I grew up a half-century after this came out and its age didn't show to me at all. I hope kids today that have been weaned on computer-animated films can still enjoy older cartoons like this.

Still fair

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
5 March 2014

For all its historical importance, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) is not treated well by most Disney fans. It is tolerated, but not respected or loved. Common complaints fall upon the heroine being too passive, the music being too dated, too much padding, etc. No film is perfect, even great films, but my God, people are too harsh on this one.

No other Disney film possesses the innocence of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It has a freshness, an excitement to it. It's as though you could feel the animators' joy in every frame. There is no hip irony or cynicism on display, no need to be subversive or cool. The whole thing is a fairy tale played straight and with tons of heart. It isn't hard to see why weary Depression audiences so readily took it to their hearts and declared it "the happiest thing since Armistice".

Snow White is not complex or super interesting as a character, but she has more of a personality than she is given credit for. She is also tougher than you'd think: she's a young teenage girl from an abusive home, yet she still believes she should keep a positive view of life and tries her best to stay optimistic through all her troubles. That's admirable. As for her warbling soprano, many will not favor it and yes, it is dated. However, don't be too harsh there. After all, I doubt the modern pop hit "Let It Go" in Frozen (2013) will gracefully age either.

Of course, the dwarfs are all lovable and entertaining. The Queen/Witch is chilling, one of the finest Disney villains. The Prince... well, he's rather dull. Honestly, I don't get the criticism of Snow's supposed lack of personality; she has it all over her prince.

The animation is still beautiful, even if there are a few awkward moments due to rotorscoping and experimentation. The muted color scheme is lovely, a great contrast to the exhausting bright colors which saturate modern animation (I mainly think of the garish Hercules (1997) or The Lorax (2012)). The backgrounds give one the impression of a children's storybook come to life.

Overall, this is a great film and we are still feeling its influence (for better or worse, since American animation is rarely allowed to leave the Snow White model). Without a doubt, it deserves more respect from modern audiences.

it stars a witch other witches wanna be like

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
27 December 2012

Disney's first full length animated feature is just masterful, the thing is, it is so good that it is very hard to believe that this is the first, the one that began the Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast Tarzan and more. The movie boasts of a score that you will love and come to respect. Disney's beginning was so good that you just have to dip your hat to the dream of Walt Disney himself. It features the depth of imagination from the Disney crew that has long be welcomed and has been their trademark for years, nothing beats the names of the seven dwarfs and their characters.

Before Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the Disney studio had been producing animated short subjects in the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies series. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was to be the first full length cel animated feature in motion picture history, and to be able to keep up with the high production cost of over 1 million dollars which is considerably high for any movie at all in 1937, Disney had to mortgage his house.

The plot foundation is taken from the Grimm stories of Snow White, and Disney's seven dwarfs twist is what stands in the memory most as the story of Snow White.

Disney's gamble at that time was seen as foolishness, with many trying to talk him out of it, but after the movie was done and the first viewing was over, not only did Disney get a 10 minutes standing ovation, he also received a full size Oscar statuette and seven miniature ones for his work, this was presented to him by 10 year old child star actress Shirley Temple.

It has also received many other notable recognition in its time, it is listed as the 34th greatest movie of all time in the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) and it is listed in their AFI's 10 Top 10 animated Film, as the number 1 Animated film of all time. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs provided enough revenue for Disney to build his studio, and also provided enough for them to make another two animations, Pinocchio and Fantasia. Snow White is the first of its kind, and the great thing about it is that it is not just a celebrated mediocre of an attempt at something different, the movie is a good animation, one you will most enjoy.

www.lagsreviews.com

Brilliance from the very first moment

Author: Pihlaja from Helsinki
14 November 2012

A movie milestone, a legend that started the beauty and majesty that is Disney. A revolutionary film, unlike any other before it and a movie that has managed to endure the test of time.

As you can see, I absolutely love this film. It was the first film I was given as a gift when I was a child, and thus it was the first film that I ever owned. It wasn't the first film I ever saw, at least I don't think it was, but it was the first Disney film of my life, and it left a lasting impression. I was pretty much hooked from the very first scene, and why wouldn't I be. The Disney company got a lot of things right, even if none of them had ever done anything like this before, and you can recognize many of their future trademarks in this film. The complexity of the backgrounds, the fairytale morality and good's triumph over evil, the grace and beauty of movement, the masterful use of music to tell a story and to enhance the mood during otherwise silent scenes, the colourful characters... they're all there.

Not to say that the film's age doesn't show in certain scenes and aspects of the story. For example, the plot, while good and captivating, is a bit simplistic and in the end the conflict is solved rather easily. The characters, and especially the queen, have a tendency to speak directly towards the "camera", which is pretty much unheard of in modern days, but I think that in this case it actually improves the film, because it's just so unsettling when the evil queen stares right into your eyes while cackling like a madwoman. Also the songs aren't up to Disney's usual standards, though they aren't bad. They're just more simplistic and shorter than some of the legendary songs that Disney would later produce.

So yeah, this is a masterpiece, absolute wonder of film making and a film that has earned its eternal place in the classics. And it's still just as good as it was back then so there's absolutely no reason not to watch it every now and then.

A timeless and unforgettable start of a great entertainment industry

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
10 August 2012

Before the beginning of the World War II in the 1940s, an entertainment industry was born and while most of the movies were made in the early 1910s and 1920s, a man named Walt Disney and several of his workers created a company known as the Walt Disney Company, a light-hearted entertainment industry, by releasing their very first animated full length feature, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" based on the Grimm fairy tale of the same name.

It tells the story about Snow White, a girl dressed rags who meets a prince. The queen, after becoming jealous of her beauty which will result in taking the queen's place as ruler of the kingdom, sends his huntsman to take her far into the forest where he can kill her. When he tried to kill her, he apparently lets her go after telling her of the Queen's plan. She runs into a forest, but after making some encounters with some forest friends, they take her to a cottage where she along with the animals clean it up. Little does Snow White know that this cottage belongs to the seven dwarf men, who then find her and decided to make friends with her and let her stay for as long as she likes. Meanwhile, the Queen, having found out the Snow White is still alive, transforms herself into an old hag and makes a poison apple so she can give it to her and will result in sleeping death.

For their first attempt at an animated feature that will lead to their success and create other classics, Disney has done a fantastic job and to me, I remembered watching this as a child and it finally grew out on me which is why I'm giving this a full 100%. The story is very original with an emotional feeling to it and the pacing is really good with some scenes that aren't drag. The characters are extremely likable. Snow White, although the weakest of the other Disney princess, is at least decent, the prince only appears in the beginning and the end, but was OK. The seven dwarfs are so funny. Doc, Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, and Sneezy are great and the hilarious moments with them are enjoyable to watch, but the only character who steals the show the most is the Queen who is by far a great Disney villain. Her motives are excellent and her old hag form scared the living soul out of me as a child. The voice acting for the characters are what I would like to say "excellent", but the strongest aspects goes to the memorable songs (I'm Wishing, Whistle While You Work, Heigh Ho, The Silly Song, Someday My Prince Will Come) and the beautiful animation I've ever seen in any film out there today.

Overall, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will always remain to Disney-fans as one of the most classic films in cinema history before MGM would later do the same thing by making The Wizard of OZ, an adaptation of L. Frank Baum's classic book. This deserves a higher thumbs up from me!

Snow White-Some Day They'll Make Pictures Like this Again ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
21 March 2010

A rare treat, especially in these times, of a wonderful magnitude conveys the story of "Snow White."

Forced to flee into the forest from a death decree by her wicked step-mother, the queen, Snow White falls into the loving hands of the 7 dwarfs who with their completely different personalities provide the need affection that she craves. They warn her to keep the door locked for they know that the Queen will stop at nothing to kill Snow White, so that she can be the fairest of them all.

It is to be noted that Lucille LaVerne played both the wicked Queen and the old woman disguised to bring death to Snow White. Miss LaVerne was the wicked woman with the guillotine in 1935's memorable "A Tale of Two Cities," as well as the loving mother in 1931's "An American Tragedy," which was made over as "A Place in the Sun," in 1951.

This film is a **** production in every sense of the word. That beautiful voice by Adriana, as Snow White, will hearken you back to your childhood in the spring.

The one that started it all is still the fairest one of all

Author: Tabitha West from United Kingdom
1 March 2010

In early 1934, when production started,everyone thought Walt Disney was mad to make the first ever animated feature film. All that changed on December 21,1937, as Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs was embraced by not only critics, but everyone.

And how it is still loved today. Nobody gets old enough for Snow White, and I doubt anybody will.

It is simply the original fairytale, only animated. It has a few changes from the original tale, but really, I'd say the changes are for the better. The characters are amazing, each has their own unique look and personality to them,and the voice acting is outstanding.

The whole look of the movie is beautiful, every moment is enchanting. Out of every single film out there, and I'm just not talking about animated films, if there is one film that I think has the most beautiful moments, it's Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs.

The songs are simply a pleasure to hear. From 'I'm Wishing' to 'Someday My Prince Will Come', you'll fall in love.

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs is the best animated film of all time. It may not be my favourite(That being The Lion King), but no doubt it is the BEST of all time. In fact, I think it's one of the best films of all time. It's simply incredible, with humour, drama, romance and even some intense scenes. I rented out the new Diamond edition a few weeks ago, and can I just say, it looks as if it were made yesterday, no lie.

For anyone, I would most certainly recommend Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs. It's the one that started it all, and it will always be the fairest one of all.

Timeless

Author: jfgibson73 from United States
26 February 2010

Although I've known the story all my life, I never actually saw this movie as a kid. Watching it all the way through for the first time, I was amazed; watching it over and over with my daughter, my appreciation only grows.

Snow White isn't my favorite Disney movie, but I don't think you can overstate its influence. I also acknowledge that it has its flaws--Snow White's submissive character and her squeaky voice are often criticized. I also don't think the songs are that great, but where I will defend this movie is in its storytelling. Yes, it is a very simple plot, but that is its strength. It relies on visuals and keeps things uncomplicated, which means that very young children can understand some of the action, even if they aren't able to follow the entire story arc. It's the same reason that the first half of Wall-E gets so much praise. Both have breathtaking visuals, also--they way that Snow White and the witch move is actually more interesting to watch, for me, than almost anything else in animation. I think I read somewhere that they were rotoscoped, which is a process that has been used before and since, but for me, this is the pinnacle of what the technique can do.

So many of the animated movies of the last 20 years are filled with adult-level in-jokes, sarcastic sidekicks, and rapid-fire pacing that plays to short attention spans. It would be nice to have more stories that didn't try to be so full of irony, and instead focus on the things that make a story truly timeless.

The jewel of animation

Author: Taylor Chesney from United Kingdom
10 November 2009

So Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the first ever animated feature length film, and people had told Disney 'It would never work'. Well, it appears that they were wrong in the end, as this is one of the most beautiful and amazing films, and that I am being honest! The character's are interesting and you never get bored of them, despite the Prince not having a major role. But that didn't bother me really, as all the scenes and songs are just amazing to watch and hear! This really is the jewel of animation. Animation has changed over the years, and a lot of people pay more attention to computer-animated films now. But I'll be surprised if somebody watches this movie and dosen't see how amazing 2-d animation can be. It is the inspiration for all animated movies, and it'll always be treasured. Simply Disney at it's best. No doubt.