IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Beautiful classic

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 January 2012

Personally, I think that most of the classic animated films produced by Disney are quite underrated. Many people dismiss those films, mostly because they consider them to be "only for kids".

In fact, it is not only Disney films: Many good animation films are ignored and labeled as kid's stuff, disregard of the quality of the histories or the visual beauty of them. Even in the recent year, with the success of cartoons such as "The Simpsons", "South Park", King of the Hill" and even "Family Guy" (Though I hate that show), animation is still considered a "minor" genre, with the children always being considered as the main target of it. Personally, I don't care about those prejudices: I have seen many animated films and series during my whole life. Some of them were good, others were bad…Some were excellent, and also, there were some animated films that had more artistic value and were more mature than many live-action films, even those that are considered "classics".

And even when "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" it's a movie "for kids" (I prefer to say that it's a movie for the whole family) that doesn't avoid it to have many artistic qualities that could be appreciated by the adults: In fact, I have to say this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. Not only the quality of the animation it's incredibly good even by modern standards (Actually, the animation from this film seems much more fluid and "alive" than many of the recent movies made with CGI, with splendid sceneries, and a lovely use of colors) but also the story of this film, (despite that it could be considered way too simple by modern viewers) has a unique feeling of magic that not many movies have, being comparable with classic movies such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Thief of Bagdad"…That "magic" is present in every single scene from this movie, where everything seems to be made with love and effort, an honest work made for the enjoyment of the audience, a quality that most of the modern movies have forgotten in order to became heartless product for the mass consumption.

They don't make animated movies like this anymore, which is such a shame. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" totally deserves to be considered as a classic. This might sound strange, but personally I think that, even today, this movie is incredibly underrated, and deserves way more love than it receives.

A milestone in cinema...still the greatest animated film of all time

Author: LoneWolfAndCub from Australia
30 June 2011

Having just picked up quite possibly the last copy of the recent Diamond Edition of this film, and watching for the first time in 15 years, I am compelled to write this review. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is 74 years old this year, and it doesn't feel like it has aged a bit. What everyone thought would be a flop is the reason we have the likes of Pinocchio (1940), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Toy Story (1995) and Tangled (2011). This film blew away audiences back then, being hailed as one of the greatest cinematic achievements and even being proclaimed the greatest film of all time by Russian director Sergei M. Eisenstein. The amazing thing is, Snow White blew people away when it was re-released in 2001 in the Platinum Edition, reminding people that the older Disney movies are timeless, and will never be topped.

Adapted from the Grimm Fairytale and made family-friendly, Snow White follows the story of...Snow White (Adriana Caselotti), who is proclaimed the "fairest of them all," much to the distaste of her stepmother, The Queen (Lucille La Verne). A hunter is hired to take Snow White out into the woods and kill her, returning her heart to The Queen as proof, but having a change of heart, lets Snow White escape. She stumbles across an old house in the woods, which houses seven dwarfs.

The re-master is gorgeous, highlighting just how beautiful the animation is, and why hand-drawn will always be the best. The animals are cute as ever, the "evil woods" scene looks stunning, The Queen's transformation still frightening, and the final scene in the storm is just as epic as it was when I was five! I forgot just how many fantastic musical numbers this movie had, with "Whistle While you Work," "Heigh Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" sounding as good as ever.

This film spawned some of the greatest family films of all time, with Pinocchio, Bambi, Dumbo and Fantasia following straight after Snow White's success. As a 20 year old guy, I thought the magic may have worn off, but this film is a lasting legacy, a testament to the brilliance of these old Disney films. Watching this again, I found myself smiling at the antics of the dwarfs, singing to songs I'd long forgotten, and crying with the dwarfs over Snow White's body. Snow White has managed to enchant audiences for 74 years, and will continue doing so for as long as I can imagine.

As timeless as it is wonderful.

Author: JohnRouseMerriottChard from United Kingdom
26 March 2011

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a Walt Disney production based on Snow White by The Brothers Grimm. The rest, as they say, is history. Famously said to be Disney's folly prior to release, Snow White has gone on to be one of the company's biggest earners; few, if anyone, can deny it's not the most deserving from Disney's back catalogue of being released every once in a while on different home formats. Very much a landmark movie for being the first full length animated feature, it also deserves its accolades for the high artistic quality that seeps from every frame. The advancements from Steamboat Willie ten years earlier are nothing short of incredible, the richness of the animation is a joy to behold, as the woodland creatures dart about with purpose, or the way the terror comes to life as Snow White runs thru the forest, the depth and clarity dazzles the eyes. Then of course there's the songs, most of which have formed part of pop culture ever since they were first heard. "Whistle While You work," "Heigh-Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come," each one a standard uplifter on a dreary day.

That the film is accessible to all ages obviously helped it gain universal appeal. Yes, very young kids are quite easily spooked by the darker moments that lay within, but around the corner is a treat, most notably in the form of 7 little dwarfs, each one with an identity and character that the young and old can fully embrace. One of the finest quotes I can remember about the dwarfs came from Charlie Chaplin, who straight out insisted that Dopey was "one of the greatest comedians of all time", and he's right of course. True enough it has some minor rough edges that time has inflicted upon it. Snow White is voiced by Adriana Caselotti, her voice is very 30s, very shrill and much too childlike for a character meant to be a young woman. Whilst she's not exactly painted in a good light, bit of an air-head is our Snow White, but to do down the film for its social portrayal of women in the late 30s would be churlish in the extreme!

Pixar, presently, keeps raising the bar, as computer-perfection-animation thrills the modern day crowd. But make no bones about it, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is still the benchmark animation movie. As technical advancements ensure we are wowed by this particular art form, Disneys folly watches over proceedings as the rightful lord of the manor. Masterpiece 10/10

You've got to like it...whether you like it or not

Author: joseph-51 from Merrie Olde England
26 November 2003

For almost 70 years, Walt Disney Pictures have brought you classics such as Pinocchio, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Alice in Wonderland and ...erm...The Fox and the Hound (something went wrong there). But you wouldn't have been able to be able to watch forty-three animated hits, plus many semi-cartoon classics like Mary Poppins if it weren't for the first fairy tale adaptation:

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS.

You've got to like it. One must appreciate it was the first of its genre. I must admit I prefered Pinocchio (the second Disney classic which followed) as a child. And that's not saying Snow White is rubbish. It's a beautiful and jolly film. It's got a lot of good points, as well as bad points. Note possible spoilers.

The film opens as a white book helping set the scene that the Queen is vain and selfish. We then zoom into the Queen's bedroom in which see her see who is beautiful and if she's the sexiest woman in Cartoonland. Unfortunately, the Mirror says Snow White is. The Queen starts to show her evil by her bid to kill ther mysterious princess stepdaughter. The Queen's dialogue is beautiful, similar to that of Lady Macbeth (Walt did partially base the Queen's character on the Shakespearian villainess). The language is at it's beat in the transformation scene.

The next scene is where we meet Snow White. This is where the film falls flat. Snow White is a giggly bimbo with a freaky voice. If a pop singer had that kind of voice these days, she would fade away. Since when did Britney Spear's voice vibrate rapidly in a nausiating fashion? What's more, as the film progresses, the character gets even more nausiating. Snow White is even more stupid than the Mad Maddame Mim from Walt Disney's Classic The Sword in the Stone. In the last scene where she talks, she lets a strange stranger in, despite the warnings from the Dwarfs. And that didn't get her anywhere, did it now?

The Prince is equally as stupid. Unlike in Sleeping Beauty or The Little Mermaid, the Prince did not join in the Let's-Kill-The-Witch scene, which destroys his character as a Robin Hood hero and changes him into a lazy slob of a Prince.

The Dwarfs, on the other hand, are loveable and believable, mainly due to the fact that everybody is like one of the Seven Dwarfs. But my favourite character is the Henchman. By keeping him out of the story a lot, he is the only fully believable true-human character. Just shows how Disney works wonders with people, doesn't it?

Groundbreaking classic and it's actually fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 April 2014

The first full-length animated feature from the Disney Studios is a hit and has led the way for every animated movie since. Snow White is a beautiful princess who is targeted by the jealous Queen. The Queen orders the Huntsman to kill Snow White, but he takes pity on her and sends her off into the woods. There she is rescued by the Seven Dwarfs. The Queen finds out that Snow White has survived and decides to curse her with her own poison apple.

It is deserving of the label classic. The story is fun. I love the Dwarfs. I love the Queen. I wish Snow White could be less girly girl, but those were the times. For being a first, it does it with great charm. It is a credit to the movie world. There are great catchy songs. Even a dated song like 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' is still very compelling.

Question for men (or women who might know)

Author: beegirll
5 February 2014

So we all know that Snow White is innocent, sweet, loving etc. Basically in my eyes she would be the type of girl I'd want a serious relationship with if I were a guy. My question is, do guys these days girls like Snow White? Do they appreciate her sweet old fashioned qualities? OK I realize she was like around 15-16 years old, but I mean even women in their 20's and 30's can be this way. I understand we all lose some innocence along the way because that's a part of life. But we can still have innocent like qualities and be feminine like she was. So, do guys appreciate this type of girl? I'm starting to see more and more guys going for the opposite.

it stars a witch other witches wanna be like

Author: lagudafuad from Nigeria
27 December 2012

Disney's first full length animated feature is just masterful, the thing is, it is so good that it is very hard to believe that this is the first, the one that began the Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and The Beast Tarzan and more. The movie boasts of a score that you will love and come to respect. Disney's beginning was so good that you just have to dip your hat to the dream of Walt Disney himself. It features the depth of imagination from the Disney crew that has long be welcomed and has been their trademark for years, nothing beats the names of the seven dwarfs and their characters.

Before Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the Disney studio had been producing animated short subjects in the Mickey Mouse and Silly Symphonies series. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was to be the first full length cel animated feature in motion picture history, and to be able to keep up with the high production cost of over 1 million dollars which is considerably high for any movie at all in 1937, Disney had to mortgage his house.

The plot foundation is taken from the Grimm stories of Snow White, and Disney's seven dwarfs twist is what stands in the memory most as the story of Snow White.

Disney's gamble at that time was seen as foolishness, with many trying to talk him out of it, but after the movie was done and the first viewing was over, not only did Disney get a 10 minutes standing ovation, he also received a full size Oscar statuette and seven miniature ones for his work, this was presented to him by 10 year old child star actress Shirley Temple.

It has also received many other notable recognition in its time, it is listed as the 34th greatest movie of all time in the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition) and it is listed in their AFI's 10 Top 10 animated Film, as the number 1 Animated film of all time. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs provided enough revenue for Disney to build his studio, and also provided enough for them to make another two animations, Pinocchio and Fantasia. Snow White is the first of its kind, and the great thing about it is that it is not just a celebrated mediocre of an attempt at something different, the movie is a good animation, one you will most enjoy.

www.lagsreviews.com

Brilliance from the very first moment

Author: Pihlaja from Helsinki
14 November 2012

A movie milestone, a legend that started the beauty and majesty that is Disney. A revolutionary film, unlike any other before it and a movie that has managed to endure the test of time.

As you can see, I absolutely love this film. It was the first film I was given as a gift when I was a child, and thus it was the first film that I ever owned. It wasn't the first film I ever saw, at least I don't think it was, but it was the first Disney film of my life, and it left a lasting impression. I was pretty much hooked from the very first scene, and why wouldn't I be. The Disney company got a lot of things right, even if none of them had ever done anything like this before, and you can recognize many of their future trademarks in this film. The complexity of the backgrounds, the fairytale morality and good's triumph over evil, the grace and beauty of movement, the masterful use of music to tell a story and to enhance the mood during otherwise silent scenes, the colourful characters... they're all there.

Not to say that the film's age doesn't show in certain scenes and aspects of the story. For example, the plot, while good and captivating, is a bit simplistic and in the end the conflict is solved rather easily. The characters, and especially the queen, have a tendency to speak directly towards the "camera", which is pretty much unheard of in modern days, but I think that in this case it actually improves the film, because it's just so unsettling when the evil queen stares right into your eyes while cackling like a madwoman. Also the songs aren't up to Disney's usual standards, though they aren't bad. They're just more simplistic and shorter than some of the legendary songs that Disney would later produce.

So yeah, this is a masterpiece, absolute wonder of film making and a film that has earned its eternal place in the classics. And it's still just as good as it was back then so there's absolutely no reason not to watch it every now and then.

A timeless and unforgettable start of a great entertainment industry

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
10 August 2012

Before the beginning of the World War II in the 1940s, an entertainment industry was born and while most of the movies were made in the early 1910s and 1920s, a man named Walt Disney and several of his workers created a company known as the Walt Disney Company, a light-hearted entertainment industry, by releasing their very first animated full length feature, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" based on the Grimm fairy tale of the same name.

It tells the story about Snow White, a girl dressed rags who meets a prince. The queen, after becoming jealous of her beauty which will result in taking the queen's place as ruler of the kingdom, sends his huntsman to take her far into the forest where he can kill her. When he tried to kill her, he apparently lets her go after telling her of the Queen's plan. She runs into a forest, but after making some encounters with some forest friends, they take her to a cottage where she along with the animals clean it up. Little does Snow White know that this cottage belongs to the seven dwarf men, who then find her and decided to make friends with her and let her stay for as long as she likes. Meanwhile, the Queen, having found out the Snow White is still alive, transforms herself into an old hag and makes a poison apple so she can give it to her and will result in sleeping death.

For their first attempt at an animated feature that will lead to their success and create other classics, Disney has done a fantastic job and to me, I remembered watching this as a child and it finally grew out on me which is why I'm giving this a full 100%. The story is very original with an emotional feeling to it and the pacing is really good with some scenes that aren't drag. The characters are extremely likable. Snow White, although the weakest of the other Disney princess, is at least decent, the prince only appears in the beginning and the end, but was OK. The seven dwarfs are so funny. Doc, Happy, Sleepy, Grumpy, Happy, Dopey, and Sneezy are great and the hilarious moments with them are enjoyable to watch, but the only character who steals the show the most is the Queen who is by far a great Disney villain. Her motives are excellent and her old hag form scared the living soul out of me as a child. The voice acting for the characters are what I would like to say "excellent", but the strongest aspects goes to the memorable songs (I'm Wishing, Whistle While You Work, Heigh Ho, The Silly Song, Someday My Prince Will Come) and the beautiful animation I've ever seen in any film out there today.

Overall, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will always remain to Disney-fans as one of the most classic films in cinema history before MGM would later do the same thing by making The Wizard of OZ, an adaptation of L. Frank Baum's classic book. This deserves a higher thumbs up from me!

A Masterpiece At Least

Author: madeye666 from United States
7 March 2007

Film-"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" Rating-G for General Audiences Creator-Walt Disney Release Year-1937

From the timeless melodies of "I'm Wishing," and "Heigh Ho," to the ballads of "Someday My Prince Will Come," and "One Song," the world's first full length animated feature is a brilliant sensation. It is a singularly amazing triumph, with memorable characters, catchy songs, and a fairy tale setting, this film outlined the recipe of old and upcoming films, like RAPUNZEL.

The most chilling part of this film-the dramatic villain-the Evil Queen, who turns herself into a hag to kill Snow White, so she can be "Fairest in the land."

And this film has it's place as the most fantastic DVD debut of all time for a Disney film. I do not have the discs, but borrowed them from a friend once, and I was in deep shock with the dazzling restoration in picture and sound.

The comic relief is a most spectacular hilarity in this film. With the Seven Dwarfs-Happy, Bashful, Doc, Sneezy, Grumpy, Sleepy and most memorable of all Dopey, this film is a pure treat with it's innocent charm in the department of comedy.

All in all, this film is a sheer joy-Spotless. It is a dazzling triumph and holds a place in everyone's heart. It is the most memorable of all Disney films.

Walt Disney's Timeless Classic, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs!"