IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Still the Fairest of Them All

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
17 June 2002

Before Wicked Witches ruled the sea, or evil lions became king, or pirates kidnaped children, there was an apple.

This opening is similar to the 2001 video trailer. Snow White is the one that started it all, and is still the fairest one. The Wicked Queen remains as good a villain, as any Disney villain to date. I recently purchased the Special Collector's DVD, and was amazed at all the stuff it had to offer. The DVD re-release itself won a Saturn Award from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films as Best Classic DVD Re-release. It also won a Video Premiere Award for Best Bonus Features. Definatley the best DVD I have.

Some Day My Prince Will Come

Author: Rainey-Dawn from United States
26 June 2014

Another wonderful "damsel in distress" film animation from Disney! This movie is right up there with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I still love this movie after all these years.

The seven dwarfs are cute, comical and each of them as cuddly as a teddy bear - including Grumpy! Without the comic relief of the dwarven the movie would be a good drama.

Snow White has all the inner and outer beauty that a person could hope for. She's cheerful, helpful, charming, polite, friendly and fun. Quite a nice character.

Queen Grimhilde is the picture of all vanity. She wants to be the only beautiful woman in the kingdom. She is quite beautiful on the outside but she lacks the inner beauty that Snow White has which makes her more angry and jealous at Snow.

Prince Florian is a dashing and daring guy who has his eyes on the beautiful Snow White. Prince Florian is another "Prince Charming" and our hero of the film.

Yes this is a great Walt Disney classic that should be seen if only once in you lifetime.

"Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations."

Author: utgard14 from USA
3 June 2014

My favorite Disney film. Obviously its historical importance can't be stressed enough but let's not overlook how wonderfully entertaining it is. If you like sweet, colorful fairy tale stories, it doesn't get much better than this. There are lots of memorable scenes and songs. The characters are lively and fun, even the evil Queen. It should also be pointed out that, for all of the adorable animals and dwarfs, there are some genuinely spooky parts, too. Snow White fleeing through the shadowy forest is possibly my favorite scene of the whole movie. The Queen's ultimate fate is also quite dark. It's really a terrific film. A timeless classic that is essential viewing for everybody. I grew up a half-century after this came out and its age didn't show to me at all. I hope kids today that have been weaned on computer-animated films can still enjoy older cartoons like this.

Groundbreaking classic and it's actually fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 April 2014

The first full-length animated feature from the Disney Studios is a hit and has led the way for every animated movie since. Snow White is a beautiful princess who is targeted by the jealous Queen. The Queen orders the Huntsman to kill Snow White, but he takes pity on her and sends her off into the woods. There she is rescued by the Seven Dwarfs. The Queen finds out that Snow White has survived and decides to curse her with her own poison apple.

It is deserving of the label classic. The story is fun. I love the Dwarfs. I love the Queen. I wish Snow White could be less girly girl, but those were the times. For being a first, it does it with great charm. It is a credit to the movie world. There are great catchy songs. Even a dated song like 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' is still very compelling.

Still fair

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
5 March 2014

For all its historical importance, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) is not treated well by most Disney fans. It is tolerated, but not respected or loved. Common complaints fall upon the heroine being too passive, the music being too dated, too much padding, etc. No film is perfect, even great films, but my God, people are too harsh on this one.

No other Disney film possesses the innocence of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It has a freshness, an excitement to it. It's as though you could feel the animators' joy in every frame. There is no hip irony or cynicism on display, no need to be subversive or cool. The whole thing is a fairy tale played straight and with tons of heart. It isn't hard to see why weary Depression audiences so readily took it to their hearts and declared it "the happiest thing since Armistice".

Snow White is not complex or super interesting as a character, but she has more of a personality than she is given credit for. She is also tougher than you'd think: she's a young teenage girl from an abusive home, yet she still believes she should keep a positive view of life and tries her best to stay optimistic through all her troubles. That's admirable. As for her warbling soprano, many will not favor it and yes, it is dated. However, don't be too harsh there. After all, I doubt the modern pop hit "Let It Go" in Frozen (2013) will gracefully age either.

Of course, the dwarfs are all lovable and entertaining. The Queen/Witch is chilling, one of the finest Disney villains. The Prince... well, he's rather dull. Honestly, I don't get the criticism of Snow's supposed lack of personality; she has it all over her prince.

The animation is still beautiful, even if there are a few awkward moments due to rotorscoping and experimentation. The muted color scheme is lovely, a great contrast to the exhausting bright colors which saturate modern animation (I mainly think of the garish Hercules (1997) or The Lorax (2012)). The backgrounds give one the impression of a children's storybook come to life.

Overall, this is a great film and we are still feeling its influence (for better or worse, since American animation is rarely allowed to leave the Snow White model). Without a doubt, it deserves more respect from modern audiences.

My Favorite Disney Classic Film

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
19 January 2013

There are just some things you just can't beat and Disney's version of Snow White still can hold its own to many other animated fairy tale films that are being put out today. In this animated feature film, there is absolutely nothing that any viewer can't adore. The main premise of Snow White is still the same; the queen wants her dead and she wishes to be the fairest of them all. But in Disney's first ever to be released film, there are a few other added ideas to the story that make it a true Disney treasure.

Let's begin with the characters first. Adriana Caselotti plays the voice of Snow White. Caselotti's voice, when it is either singing or just talking, is wholesomely beautiful, sweet and cute and matches the way her character is drawn quite nicely. It is by far, one of the most amiable voices a viewer could hear. As for the Queen/Witch who tries to have Snow White killed, is voiced by Lucille La Verne. She too makes her character very memorable. Her cackle as the witch sent chills up my spine.

As Snow White flees from the Queen she also befriends a large amount of the forest animals; which all have the ability to some how understand her. But I really don't care because it is just as amazing to watch this movie now as it was for the viewers of 1937. But the supporting characters that everyone loves and remembers the most are the seven dwarfs voiced by multiple radio sensations of the time. And the great thing is, every fan has seven dwarfs to pick from to be the one they cherish the most. My favorite is bashful, just for being...well bashful. Tying his beard into knots and such. What a goofball hahahaha.

The other two great elements in this picture are the musical numbers and the animation. Whatever made the animation the way it was for its time, is truly something. I can't put my finger on it, but the animation is made in a way that not many other films were made in this category. This is probably due to the technology of the time. But none the less, this creates a nostalgic feel to the film. The same goes for the background music composed by Paul L. Smith.

Finally, along with Smith's score, are the musical numbers the characters perform. If it's the "Whistle While You Work", "Heigh-Ho", "I'm wishing" or any other song I can think of, all have really fun tunes and leave a lasting impression. Plus, they are fun to join in and sing along with as well. A very interactive film for its time and did wonders for Walt Disney's business. You just can't beat a classic like this one.

The Disney version of the Grimm brothers' fairy tale is colorful in animation, as are its musical numbers and lively characters. A true sense in the word classic.

Excellent beginning!

Author: Michelle Palmer from United States
6 October 2012

The classic Snow White story still lives to be an all-time favorite for children young and old. This is a movie that can be enjoyed by the whole family with lots of humor, romance, and laughter. This story is told through classic characters. For a full-feature movie, there really aren't that many characters. Besides Snow White and the Seven dwarfs (Doc, Happy, Sneezy, Dopey, Grumpy, Bashful, and Sleepy); the only other characters were the Wicked Witch, the mirror (surprisingly having a personality of it's own), the prince and the Woodsman.

Like any good Disney movie, it's filled with lots of animals who behave more like people: Birds (Doves, Raven, Vultures, owl, etc.), bats, alligators, rabbits, squirrels, deer, raccoons, chipmunks, butterflies, rats; there is even a mouse, fly, and horse).

Of course, there are songs in good Disney movies as well. Famous songs from this movie are "I'm Wishing," "Whistle While You Work," "Hi Ho," and "Someday My Prince Will Come."

A couple negatives in this movie: I wasn't partically too keen on the Prince. Snow White's voice was a bit annoying.

Some parents may want to be cautious of the Wicked Queen's scene. She mixes a potion and casts a spell. There are skeletons and skulls that were obviously human at one time.

Snow White - A Brilliant Classic!

Author: bibleman24 from United Kingdom
9 July 2012

I've just watched 'Snow White' for the first time in a long, long time. Man alive, I really enjoyed it! What a good film! Seriously, by any standard, it's stood the test of time beautifully and it's a wonderful piece of cinema.

The story we should all know. You have Princess Snow White - perhaps the most stunning cartoon woman ever? Not only is she beautiful, but she's extremely lovely and pleasant. If she existed, she'd be the next Princess Diana or Mother Teresa. It seems that everyone who meets her grows soon enough to adore her. But not everyone loves our dear Princess. Her wicked step-mother hates her and is terribly jealous of her. That's because Snow White is thought to be the 'fairest in the land'. So the Queen plans to have her killed by a Huntsman. When this plan fails, Snow White runs away and finds a place to stay - the house of 7 utterly lovable dwarfs! In a short time, they are completely crazy about her and love having her around. She's the ideal woman! But the Queen discovers her plan has failed and decides to take matters into her own hands...

It's a very simple but thoroughly captivating story. The characters are superb and wildly likable. They are marvellously given life by the great work of the cartoonists and the actors who voiced them. This is an excellent collection of some very fine voice actors, especially Adriana Caselotti as Snow White. She sings like an angel and her innocent voice is very lovely indeed. The music is well suited to the story and memorable, particularly the infamous 'Hi Ho' song.

The fun bits are fun; the serious bits are serious; the awful bits are awful; the feel-good bits make you feed good. 'Snow White' doesn't seem to do anything by halves. It's a truly charming gem of a film. I can hardly praise it enough. Walt Disney didn't put a foot wrong with this one. It was Walt Disney's first full-length film and in my opinion it will always be his finest hour. It's a masterpiece of entertainment. It even had me shedding a tear at the end! It's just a brilliant film - a classic. Few films have or ever will be as good, original and ground- breaking as this one.

Beautiful classic

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 January 2012

Personally, I think that most of the classic animated films produced by Disney are quite underrated. Many people dismiss those films, mostly because they consider them to be "only for kids".

In fact, it is not only Disney films: Many good animation films are ignored and labeled as kid's stuff, disregard of the quality of the histories or the visual beauty of them. Even in the recent year, with the success of cartoons such as "The Simpsons", "South Park", King of the Hill" and even "Family Guy" (Though I hate that show), animation is still considered a "minor" genre, with the children always being considered as the main target of it. Personally, I don't care about those prejudices: I have seen many animated films and series during my whole life. Some of them were good, others were bad…Some were excellent, and also, there were some animated films that had more artistic value and were more mature than many live-action films, even those that are considered "classics".

And even when "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" it's a movie "for kids" (I prefer to say that it's a movie for the whole family) that doesn't avoid it to have many artistic qualities that could be appreciated by the adults: In fact, I have to say this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. Not only the quality of the animation it's incredibly good even by modern standards (Actually, the animation from this film seems much more fluid and "alive" than many of the recent movies made with CGI, with splendid sceneries, and a lovely use of colors) but also the story of this film, (despite that it could be considered way too simple by modern viewers) has a unique feeling of magic that not many movies have, being comparable with classic movies such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Thief of Bagdad"…That "magic" is present in every single scene from this movie, where everything seems to be made with love and effort, an honest work made for the enjoyment of the audience, a quality that most of the modern movies have forgotten in order to became heartless product for the mass consumption.

They don't make animated movies like this anymore, which is such a shame. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" totally deserves to be considered as a classic. This might sound strange, but personally I think that, even today, this movie is incredibly underrated, and deserves way more love than it receives.

A milestone in cinema...still the greatest animated film of all time

Author: LoneWolfAndCub from Australia
30 June 2011

Having just picked up quite possibly the last copy of the recent Diamond Edition of this film, and watching for the first time in 15 years, I am compelled to write this review. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is 74 years old this year, and it doesn't feel like it has aged a bit. What everyone thought would be a flop is the reason we have the likes of Pinocchio (1940), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Toy Story (1995) and Tangled (2011). This film blew away audiences back then, being hailed as one of the greatest cinematic achievements and even being proclaimed the greatest film of all time by Russian director Sergei M. Eisenstein. The amazing thing is, Snow White blew people away when it was re-released in 2001 in the Platinum Edition, reminding people that the older Disney movies are timeless, and will never be topped.

Adapted from the Grimm Fairytale and made family-friendly, Snow White follows the story of...Snow White (Adriana Caselotti), who is proclaimed the "fairest of them all," much to the distaste of her stepmother, The Queen (Lucille La Verne). A hunter is hired to take Snow White out into the woods and kill her, returning her heart to The Queen as proof, but having a change of heart, lets Snow White escape. She stumbles across an old house in the woods, which houses seven dwarfs.

The re-master is gorgeous, highlighting just how beautiful the animation is, and why hand-drawn will always be the best. The animals are cute as ever, the "evil woods" scene looks stunning, The Queen's transformation still frightening, and the final scene in the storm is just as epic as it was when I was five! I forgot just how many fantastic musical numbers this movie had, with "Whistle While you Work," "Heigh Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" sounding as good as ever.

This film spawned some of the greatest family films of all time, with Pinocchio, Bambi, Dumbo and Fantasia following straight after Snow White's success. As a 20 year old guy, I thought the magic may have worn off, but this film is a lasting legacy, a testament to the brilliance of these old Disney films. Watching this again, I found myself smiling at the antics of the dwarfs, singing to songs I'd long forgotten, and crying with the dwarfs over Snow White's body. Snow White has managed to enchant audiences for 74 years, and will continue doing so for as long as I can imagine.