IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 3 of 22: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Impressively Animated

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
28 April 2014

Snow White was Disney's first feature-length cartoon, and it's clear he wanted something that would wow audiences. The animation is ambitious and wonderfully detailed. Of particular note is the scene of Snow White running through the forest and the scenes involving the forest animals. Those forest animals are the single most impressive thing in the movie, flowing and swirling like leaves in the air, almost constantly in motion yet never unpleasantly chaotic.

At the same time, these scenes have been so well parodied in other movies that at times they seem a bit absurd. Even before the parodies, there is something over the top about the dainty, domestic princess with a way with animals.

For me, the movie lost a little momentum with the entry of the dwarfs, whose broad humor interested me less than the more serious earlier animation. This is not to say that the dwarfs weren't funny, in that mild, Disney way (both now and as a child I preferred the sharp, sarcastic style of Warner Brothers cartoons to the genial Disney style), but the focus on comedy meant less of a focus on pure artistry.

The movie is also very much of its time. Snow White is the small-town girl ideal, a sweet and trusting princess who wanders into an empty house and immediately starts cleaning it. She has the girlish voice of Betty Boop without the attitude, and I found her a bit bland (although less so than Sleeping Beauty, many years later.

Overall, this is a very entertaining movie with moments of greatness.

Snow White - A Brilliant Classic!

Author: bibleman24 from United Kingdom
9 July 2012

I've just watched 'Snow White' for the first time in a long, long time. Man alive, I really enjoyed it! What a good film! Seriously, by any standard, it's stood the test of time beautifully and it's a wonderful piece of cinema.

The story we should all know. You have Princess Snow White - perhaps the most stunning cartoon woman ever? Not only is she beautiful, but she's extremely lovely and pleasant. If she existed, she'd be the next Princess Diana or Mother Teresa. It seems that everyone who meets her grows soon enough to adore her. But not everyone loves our dear Princess. Her wicked step-mother hates her and is terribly jealous of her. That's because Snow White is thought to be the 'fairest in the land'. So the Queen plans to have her killed by a Huntsman. When this plan fails, Snow White runs away and finds a place to stay - the house of 7 utterly lovable dwarfs! In a short time, they are completely crazy about her and love having her around. She's the ideal woman! But the Queen discovers her plan has failed and decides to take matters into her own hands...

It's a very simple but thoroughly captivating story. The characters are superb and wildly likable. They are marvellously given life by the great work of the cartoonists and the actors who voiced them. This is an excellent collection of some very fine voice actors, especially Adriana Caselotti as Snow White. She sings like an angel and her innocent voice is very lovely indeed. The music is well suited to the story and memorable, particularly the infamous 'Hi Ho' song.

The fun bits are fun; the serious bits are serious; the awful bits are awful; the feel-good bits make you feed good. 'Snow White' doesn't seem to do anything by halves. It's a truly charming gem of a film. I can hardly praise it enough. Walt Disney didn't put a foot wrong with this one. It was Walt Disney's first full-length film and in my opinion it will always be his finest hour. It's a masterpiece of entertainment. It even had me shedding a tear at the end! It's just a brilliant film - a classic. Few films have or ever will be as good, original and ground- breaking as this one.

As good as (or better) than most Modern Disney

Author: dolfin_phlipper from United Kingdom
12 October 2007

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is often overlooked, for several reasons, including (but not confined to) "it's sexist", "it's boring", "Snow White can't sing"...etc. However, in comparison to most Modern Disney movies, Snow White is brilliant. It was an artistic achievement in 1937, and it still stands up as a landmark in movie history. The story is (as most people will know), a princess is orphaned and is 'looked after' by her stepmother, who grows increasingly jealous of the young princess's growing beauty. The princess, Snow White, is forced to slave away for her stepmother, the Queen, until the Queen decides to have her killed. However, the huntsman chosen to do the deed cannot go through with it, and Snow White is forced to run away into the forest where she is taken in by seven dwarfs. All is fine, until the Queen realises that Snow White is not dead. Cue the transformation scene and the poison apple...and that's as far as I'll go.

Although the heroine is, admittedly, two-dimensional and the movie comes across as bordering sexist...well, it's a product of it's time. I'll leave it at that.

The fact that the beautiful animation can still stand up next to more recent Disney movies is an achievement in itself. And the fact that you can compare the two and probably say that Snow White's animation is superior is an even greater achievement.

The songs are beautiful, Snow White's singing *is* proper singing, she has more talent then many of the recent Broadway princesses put together. Product of the time maybe, but still outstanding. 9/10

Perhaps the Most Beloved and Treasured Piece of Cinema of All Time

Author: vivaladisney from United States
1 December 2006

Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is arguably the single most endearing film of all time. The story is one that is familiar, yet Walt Disney was able to breathe fresh air into this classic fairy tale through wonderfully lovable characters and witty humor. Every animated film ever made after Snow White owes great debt to it in one way or another. It is simply the most influential animated feature of all time. As visually striking as it is charming, this masterpiece has stood the test of time and proved it's undeniable appeal to audiences and became a classic in the eyes and hearts of millions worldwide. Imagination, both of the filmmakers and the audience let this film live on for generations.

Still the Fairest of Them All

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
17 June 2002

Before Wicked Witches ruled the sea, or evil lions became king, or pirates kidnaped children, there was an apple.

This opening is similar to the 2001 video trailer. Snow White is the one that started it all, and is still the fairest one. The Wicked Queen remains as good a villain, as any Disney villain to date. I recently purchased the Special Collector's DVD, and was amazed at all the stuff it had to offer. The DVD re-release itself won a Saturn Award from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films as Best Classic DVD Re-release. It also won a Video Premiere Award for Best Bonus Features. Definatley the best DVD I have.

Stained Glass

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
4 September 2008

I have a lot of complaints about Disney; what he made personally and the lumbering beast his studio has become.

In particular, he murdered one of the most precious literary structures we have in Alice. But in his first big project, he did well enough to change the world. In its day, this was a rule- changer, the Star Wars of its day. Everything that happened afterward was different.

Many people credit the characterizations, which Disney never did as well afterward, creating a vacuum for Pixar to fill. I admit that except for the "swallow the soap" trick, I liked that element.

But I think there is something more fundamental at work.

Movies are basically about visual notation. Its less about what the stories are than how they are told. One of the evolutions that I track is the business of outside awareness. But this, I think is something different, sort of in the opposite direction. We had comics before, where objects were not masses but boundaries. We had cartoons before, where large blobs of grey and then color defined shapes that we assigned identities to. But this has two things. They were revolutionary.

The first is the narrative long form. It isn't complex; it has only one arc. We even know what the arc is and how it will end, the only mystery (for the original viewers) being in the cinematics of the thing. Disney would stumble later, on understanding the nature of long form storytelling but here he does what must have seemed impossible.

The second is more visual. At the time, this seemed more natural and organic than anything that had gone before (except for the Prince — Disney always has trouble with men). We focus on the dwarfs, but the girl has mannerisms that are beyond anything we had seen before, the best being Betty Boop before the censors intervened.

But there's something deeper, and to explain it, we need some history. Light is magical. Reflected light isn't very special, light like you see bouncing off a magazine page. The colors you see are dimmer than real world colors because of the strength of the light of course, but what you see is what is not absorbed. You see the leftovers. In stained glass, the light comes through, directly from the source. The colors you see are more vibrant. Ancient glassmasters formulated glass that the moderns do not, so if you have a chance to see one (like the Tree of Jesse in Chartres) you will see millions of facets in each color because of the way that the color was layered on in a "flashing" process, creating refractive crystal boundaries.

These windows are a profound experience because of this scintillation effect that is subliminal. Like these old cartoons, the beings and objects are blobs of shimmering color with outlines that infer identity. Its a deep art that exists no where else, and not even since in stained glass.

Now another fact. Snow is not white. Snow is a collection of ordered microcrystals that refract light in all colors. The combined effect adds to white, but as you move ever so slightly, you will be receiving millions of millions of flashes of pure color. And now a final fact. In 1952, when I saw this on a huge screen, the screen technology involved faceted grains of silica that had this snow-effect of micro-refraction. Today's screens use microspheres, tiny balls with smooth surfaces, so the effect is not the same. And obviously digital screens are another matter. They all preserve this "transmitted light" effect of stained glass, as do all films. (But the new mastering of the cartoon for DVD does increase the purity of the colors, emphasizing the stained glass semiotics.)

I recently saw this on DVD, and was instantly reminded of the viewing 55 years ago, which washed over with a blizzard of snow scintillations with medieval weight, both in the story and the stained glass. I've never lost that thrill, and I wish it for you. This changed me and it changed film.

Ted's Evaluation -- 4 of 3: Every cineliterate person should experience this.

This Classic Truly Withstands the test of Time. It's As Beautiful Today as Ever!

Author: rannynm from United States
4 February 2016

Before Cinderella lost her slipper and before Aladdin met the Genie, Walt Disney did his most crazy and insane project ever - a feature animated movie, the first of its kind. The title of the film is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Parents and kids loved this film decades ago and, a generation later, families can now enjoy this beautiful classic in Blu-Ray.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a musical with catchy, and beautiful singing done by Adriana Caselotti, (Snow White), Lucille La Verne (Queen) and others. There is also a sense of adventure, and a magical romance, between Snow White and the Prince.

The story begins when the Queen discovers that she is not the fairest of them all, and that Snow White is. Out of jealousy, she orders the death of Snow White. However, Snow White gets away. She comes upon 7 dwarfs which she befriends. The Queen angrily learns about her failed death, and decides to poison the young princess!

Since this is the Diamond Edition of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, it is packed with extra features including a tour of the animation studios in the 1930s, actual interviews with Walt Disney, cool facts, (Did you know Snow White was originally designed to have gold hair? Who knew!) and so much more. My favorite part concentrates on how Walt Disney hired over 300 artists, how he spent so much money on making it perfect, and just how much speculation and hate he got for attempting to make (and being very successful as a result) a 90 minute animated film.

Even though this film was made almost a century ago, the quality of the animation is as good as films made today. Hand-drawn animation has a quality of from the human touch that CGI can never achieve. In terms of the soundtrack, Walt Disney had a knack for making his animated films not only have background music, but he created it in such as way that the music becomes an integral part of the story. For example, when Snow White and the Prince first meet, they sing a song together and it represents almost, "Instant love," better than words ever could. This story is based on a classic European fairy tale, and Walt Disney hired a few people who specifically made European-styled drawings, to make the film feel like the original fairy tale, which was perfect for the film. The voice-over sound quality is also top notch, amazingly so since again, it was made almost 100 years ago. I would easily compare it to the voice over acting and quality of the late 90s. This film was ambitious in terms of being the first animated feature film, but also was first feature film to have a female lead.

My favorite scene is the meeting of The Prince and Snow White. In the scene, Snow White is cleaning outside and she explains to her bird friends what a wishing well is. A prince overhears her fantastic singing and is love-struck when he meets her. This scene is one of my favorites because the music is beautiful, the animation is spectacular and this scene specifically illustrates my point about European artists designing the backgrounds. It really looks like a European castle of some sort.

This film was designed for all ages and I still agree. I recommend it for ages 6 to 13 specifically. Younger kids will enjoy the bright colors, dancing and singing. Older kids can appreciate how difficult it was to make this film and the storyline itself. Adults who have happy memories of seeing this film years ago will also enjoy it. Overall, it's a great film for the family. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because of the spectacular animation, exciting story (typical of films made by Walt Disney) and clear voice acting.

An Absolute Masterpiece That Changed the Cinema Forever

Author: Nelson Quintino from Brazil
18 October 2015

In thirties there was some short animations, and so Walt Disney decided to make a full-length movie, and many people thought he was going crazy, that nobody will stand this, and so on. After more than four years of hard work for him and his team, and more than a million dollars spent, the movie was ready in December 1937, and the result was amazing. With an impressive and creative work from the designers, the characters come alive in a captivating way, and the public was mesmerized with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The audience was thrilled, many come to tears after Snow White ate the the poisoned apple, and the success was so astonishing that the movie became one of the most watched movies in history, and it still continues to captivate millions of people around the world. This was Walt Disney's cornerstone, all that he made after was based on this unique movie, and because of it he was one of the few persons in the world able to fulfill the most of his dreams. And the cinema changed forever, it showed us that the public was ready to embrace the wonderland.

Some Day My Prince Will Come

Author: Rainey Dawn from United States
26 June 2014

Another wonderful "damsel in distress" film animation from Disney! This movie is right up there with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I still love this movie after all these years.

The seven dwarfs are cute, comical and each of them as cuddly as a teddy bear - including Grumpy! Without the comic relief of the dwarven the movie would be a good drama.

Snow White has all the inner and outer beauty that a person could hope for. She's cheerful, helpful, charming, polite, friendly and fun. Quite a nice character.

Queen Grimhilde is the picture of all vanity. She wants to be the only beautiful woman in the kingdom. She is quite beautiful on the outside but she lacks the inner beauty that Snow White has which makes her more angry and jealous at Snow.

Prince Florian is a dashing and daring guy who has his eyes on the beautiful Snow White. Prince Florian is another "Prince Charming" and our hero of the film.

Yes this is a great Walt Disney classic that should be seen if only once in you lifetime.

Groundbreaking classic and it's actually fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 April 2014

The first full-length animated feature from the Disney Studios is a hit and has led the way for every animated movie since. Snow White is a beautiful princess who is targeted by the jealous Queen. The Queen orders the Huntsman to kill Snow White, but he takes pity on her and sends her off into the woods. There she is rescued by the Seven Dwarfs. The Queen finds out that Snow White has survived and decides to curse her with her own poison apple.

It is deserving of the label classic. The story is fun. I love the Dwarfs. I love the Queen. I wish Snow White could be less girly girl, but those were the times. For being a first, it does it with great charm. It is a credit to the movie world. There are great catchy songs. Even a dated song like 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' is still very compelling.