IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 3 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

This never gets old!

Author: gerald-koh99 from Singapore
5 May 2014

Disney has made many animated feature films, and there are still animated movies aplenty being made out there in modern times, but very few can eclipse the very first one of all, which is the story of a beautiful young princess called Snow White who is under the watch of the wicked Queen, who forces her as a maid in the house. This movie is now so highly rated and acclaimed that in 2007, the American Film Institute named this animated flick the 34th best American film of ALL TIME.

Even while watching it as a little kid, watching it again as a grown up teenager still brings back awesome memories, proving that the story, the characters and beautiful music is gripping and makes this a fascinating tale. Snow White herself is drawn so beautifully that you can't help but simply admire her, and the incredibly adorable voicing from Adriana Caselotti is a child's fascination. The Seven Dwarfs are very united and usually do things together- they live together, work together etc. But they are all different in personality and even in appearance. One example is Grumpy, who is for a while reluctant to accept Snow White and cold towards her, but is still one to play a part to rescue her from the Queen when danger arrives. They are the other backbone of the story, and are my personal favourite in this.

This one animated film has received a lot of praise and attention over the years, right up until now 3 quarters of a century later, because by 1937 standards this is just phenomenal. Kudos Walt Disney for having the far-sightedness and innovation to create this stupendous movie in Technicolor back then and making it fun and realistic. Even now, all children should watch this- perhaps even with their parents who will not mind it!

Impressively Animated

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
28 April 2014

Snow White was Disney's first feature-length cartoon, and it's clear he wanted something that would wow audiences. The animation is ambitious and wonderfully detailed. Of particular note is the scene of Snow White running through the forest and the scenes involving the forest animals. Those forest animals are the single most impressive thing in the movie, flowing and swirling like leaves in the air, almost constantly in motion yet never unpleasantly chaotic.

At the same time, these scenes have been so well parodied in other movies that at times they seem a bit absurd. Even before the parodies, there is something over the top about the dainty, domestic princess with a way with animals.

For me, the movie lost a little momentum with the entry of the dwarfs, whose broad humor interested me less than the more serious earlier animation. This is not to say that the dwarfs weren't funny, in that mild, Disney way (both now and as a child I preferred the sharp, sarcastic style of Warner Brothers cartoons to the genial Disney style), but the focus on comedy meant less of a focus on pure artistry.

The movie is also very much of its time. Snow White is the small-town girl ideal, a sweet and trusting princess who wanders into an empty house and immediately starts cleaning it. She has the girlish voice of Betty Boop without the attitude, and I found her a bit bland (although less so than Sleeping Beauty, many years later.

Overall, this is a very entertaining movie with moments of greatness.

Groundbreaking classic and it's actually fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 April 2014

The first full-length animated feature from the Disney Studios is a hit and has led the way for every animated movie since. Snow White is a beautiful princess who is targeted by the jealous Queen. The Queen orders the Huntsman to kill Snow White, but he takes pity on her and sends her off into the woods. There she is rescued by the Seven Dwarfs. The Queen finds out that Snow White has survived and decides to curse her with her own poison apple.

It is deserving of the label classic. The story is fun. I love the Dwarfs. I love the Queen. I wish Snow White could be less girly girl, but those were the times. For being a first, it does it with great charm. It is a credit to the movie world. There are great catchy songs. Even a dated song like 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' is still very compelling.

Question for men (or women who might know)

Author: beegirll
5 February 2014

So we all know that Snow White is innocent, sweet, loving etc. Basically in my eyes she would be the type of girl I'd want a serious relationship with if I were a guy. My question is, do guys these days girls like Snow White? Do they appreciate her sweet old fashioned qualities? OK I realize she was like around 15-16 years old, but I mean even women in their 20's and 30's can be this way. I understand we all lose some innocence along the way because that's a part of life. But we can still have innocent like qualities and be feminine like she was. So, do guys appreciate this type of girl? I'm starting to see more and more guys going for the opposite.

The first of many Disney classics

Author: nightlight1991
7 January 2014

Disney's "Snow White" was the very first full length animated film and without it, we most likely would have never had the classics that came years after.

Snow White lives in a castle with her stepmother who is jealous of her stepdaughter's beauty and wishes to kill her so she will become "the fairest of them all." Snow White runs away into the forest and comes across the cottage of the seven Dwarfs and they agree to let her stay but the Queen decides to take care of Snow White herself upon discovering that she is still alive and living with the seven dwarfs.

For starters, the animation is fantastic and you can only imagine how long it must have taken the animators to draw out one frame alone. The studio was also used to animating characters in a silly style like Mickey Mouse at the time and the training they went through shows how determined Walt Disney was to make this film happen especially considering he put a mortgage on his house to get the money to make the film and would have ended up homeless if it failed.

The voice cast is also fantastic, especially upon learning that this was Adrianna Caselotti's first role in a motion picture. Most modern Disney fans criticise her voice for Snow White and label it "annoying" but I feel the voice fits the character perfectly since Snow White is 14 years old in the film. Lucille La Verne is also great as the Queen and captures the wicked nature of her cruel intentions perfectly.

Many also complain about the changes from the source material despite the fact that not everything from a book can be adapted into a film. I feel that making Snow White 14 in the film instead of 7 like in the original tale was a better choice as seeing a child go through certain events in the film such as the forest scene may have been traumatising.

Overall, this is one of the studios best animated features with impressive animation, a great cast of voices and is the reason why we have the classics we know and love today.

My Favorite Disney Classic Film

Author: moviefanman76-blogspot-com from United States
19 January 2013

There are just some things you just can't beat and Disney's version of Snow White still can hold its own to many other animated fairy tale films that are being put out today. In this animated feature film, there is absolutely nothing that any viewer can't adore. The main premise of Snow White is still the same; the queen wants her dead and she wishes to be the fairest of them all. But in Disney's first ever to be released film, there are a few other added ideas to the story that make it a true Disney treasure.

Let's begin with the characters first. Adriana Caselotti plays the voice of Snow White. Caselotti's voice, when it is either singing or just talking, is wholesomely beautiful, sweet and cute and matches the way her character is drawn quite nicely. It is by far, one of the most amiable voices a viewer could hear. As for the Queen/Witch who tries to have Snow White killed, is voiced by Lucille La Verne. She too makes her character very memorable. Her cackle as the witch sent chills up my spine.

As Snow White flees from the Queen she also befriends a large amount of the forest animals; which all have the ability to some how understand her. But I really don't care because it is just as amazing to watch this movie now as it was for the viewers of 1937. But the supporting characters that everyone loves and remembers the most are the seven dwarfs voiced by multiple radio sensations of the time. And the great thing is, every fan has seven dwarfs to pick from to be the one they cherish the most. My favorite is bashful, just for being...well bashful. Tying his beard into knots and such. What a goofball hahahaha.

The other two great elements in this picture are the musical numbers and the animation. Whatever made the animation the way it was for its time, is truly something. I can't put my finger on it, but the animation is made in a way that not many other films were made in this category. This is probably due to the technology of the time. But none the less, this creates a nostalgic feel to the film. The same goes for the background music composed by Paul L. Smith.

Finally, along with Smith's score, are the musical numbers the characters perform. If it's the "Whistle While You Work", "Heigh-Ho", "I'm wishing" or any other song I can think of, all have really fun tunes and leave a lasting impression. Plus, they are fun to join in and sing along with as well. A very interactive film for its time and did wonders for Walt Disney's business. You just can't beat a classic like this one.

The Disney version of the Grimm brothers' fairy tale is colorful in animation, as are its musical numbers and lively characters. A true sense in the word classic.

Excellent beginning!

Author: Michelle Palmer from United States
6 October 2012

The classic Snow White story still lives to be an all-time favorite for children young and old. This is a movie that can be enjoyed by the whole family with lots of humor, romance, and laughter. This story is told through classic characters. For a full-feature movie, there really aren't that many characters. Besides Snow White and the Seven dwarfs (Doc, Happy, Sneezy, Dopey, Grumpy, Bashful, and Sleepy); the only other characters were the Wicked Witch, the mirror (surprisingly having a personality of it's own), the prince and the Woodsman.

Like any good Disney movie, it's filled with lots of animals who behave more like people: Birds (Doves, Raven, Vultures, owl, etc.), bats, alligators, rabbits, squirrels, deer, raccoons, chipmunks, butterflies, rats; there is even a mouse, fly, and horse).

Of course, there are songs in good Disney movies as well. Famous songs from this movie are "I'm Wishing," "Whistle While You Work," "Hi Ho," and "Someday My Prince Will Come."

A couple negatives in this movie: I wasn't partically too keen on the Prince. Snow White's voice was a bit annoying.

Some parents may want to be cautious of the Wicked Queen's scene. She mixes a potion and casts a spell. There are skeletons and skulls that were obviously human at one time.

Snow White - A Brilliant Classic!

Author: bibleman24 from United Kingdom
9 July 2012

I've just watched 'Snow White' for the first time in a long, long time. Man alive, I really enjoyed it! What a good film! Seriously, by any standard, it's stood the test of time beautifully and it's a wonderful piece of cinema.

The story we should all know. You have Princess Snow White - perhaps the most stunning cartoon woman ever? Not only is she beautiful, but she's extremely lovely and pleasant. If she existed, she'd be the next Princess Diana or Mother Teresa. It seems that everyone who meets her grows soon enough to adore her. But not everyone loves our dear Princess. Her wicked step-mother hates her and is terribly jealous of her. That's because Snow White is thought to be the 'fairest in the land'. So the Queen plans to have her killed by a Huntsman. When this plan fails, Snow White runs away and finds a place to stay - the house of 7 utterly lovable dwarfs! In a short time, they are completely crazy about her and love having her around. She's the ideal woman! But the Queen discovers her plan has failed and decides to take matters into her own hands...

It's a very simple but thoroughly captivating story. The characters are superb and wildly likable. They are marvellously given life by the great work of the cartoonists and the actors who voiced them. This is an excellent collection of some very fine voice actors, especially Adriana Caselotti as Snow White. She sings like an angel and her innocent voice is very lovely indeed. The music is well suited to the story and memorable, particularly the infamous 'Hi Ho' song.

The fun bits are fun; the serious bits are serious; the awful bits are awful; the feel-good bits make you feed good. 'Snow White' doesn't seem to do anything by halves. It's a truly charming gem of a film. I can hardly praise it enough. Walt Disney didn't put a foot wrong with this one. It was Walt Disney's first full-length film and in my opinion it will always be his finest hour. It's a masterpiece of entertainment. It even had me shedding a tear at the end! It's just a brilliant film - a classic. Few films have or ever will be as good, original and ground- breaking as this one.

Beautiful classic

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
22 January 2012

Personally, I think that most of the classic animated films produced by Disney are quite underrated. Many people dismiss those films, mostly because they consider them to be "only for kids".

In fact, it is not only Disney films: Many good animation films are ignored and labeled as kid's stuff, disregard of the quality of the histories or the visual beauty of them. Even in the recent year, with the success of cartoons such as "The Simpsons", "South Park", King of the Hill" and even "Family Guy" (Though I hate that show), animation is still considered a "minor" genre, with the children always being considered as the main target of it. Personally, I don't care about those prejudices: I have seen many animated films and series during my whole life. Some of them were good, others were bad…Some were excellent, and also, there were some animated films that had more artistic value and were more mature than many live-action films, even those that are considered "classics".

And even when "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" it's a movie "for kids" (I prefer to say that it's a movie for the whole family) that doesn't avoid it to have many artistic qualities that could be appreciated by the adults: In fact, I have to say this is one of the most beautiful films ever made. Not only the quality of the animation it's incredibly good even by modern standards (Actually, the animation from this film seems much more fluid and "alive" than many of the recent movies made with CGI, with splendid sceneries, and a lovely use of colors) but also the story of this film, (despite that it could be considered way too simple by modern viewers) has a unique feeling of magic that not many movies have, being comparable with classic movies such as "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Thief of Bagdad"…That "magic" is present in every single scene from this movie, where everything seems to be made with love and effort, an honest work made for the enjoyment of the audience, a quality that most of the modern movies have forgotten in order to became heartless product for the mass consumption.

They don't make animated movies like this anymore, which is such a shame. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" totally deserves to be considered as a classic. This might sound strange, but personally I think that, even today, this movie is incredibly underrated, and deserves way more love than it receives.

A milestone in cinema...still the greatest animated film of all time

Author: LoneWolfAndCub from Australia
30 June 2011

Having just picked up quite possibly the last copy of the recent Diamond Edition of this film, and watching for the first time in 15 years, I am compelled to write this review. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is 74 years old this year, and it doesn't feel like it has aged a bit. What everyone thought would be a flop is the reason we have the likes of Pinocchio (1940), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Toy Story (1995) and Tangled (2011). This film blew away audiences back then, being hailed as one of the greatest cinematic achievements and even being proclaimed the greatest film of all time by Russian director Sergei M. Eisenstein. The amazing thing is, Snow White blew people away when it was re-released in 2001 in the Platinum Edition, reminding people that the older Disney movies are timeless, and will never be topped.

Adapted from the Grimm Fairytale and made family-friendly, Snow White follows the story of...Snow White (Adriana Caselotti), who is proclaimed the "fairest of them all," much to the distaste of her stepmother, The Queen (Lucille La Verne). A hunter is hired to take Snow White out into the woods and kill her, returning her heart to The Queen as proof, but having a change of heart, lets Snow White escape. She stumbles across an old house in the woods, which houses seven dwarfs.

The re-master is gorgeous, highlighting just how beautiful the animation is, and why hand-drawn will always be the best. The animals are cute as ever, the "evil woods" scene looks stunning, The Queen's transformation still frightening, and the final scene in the storm is just as epic as it was when I was five! I forgot just how many fantastic musical numbers this movie had, with "Whistle While you Work," "Heigh Ho" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" sounding as good as ever.

This film spawned some of the greatest family films of all time, with Pinocchio, Bambi, Dumbo and Fantasia following straight after Snow White's success. As a 20 year old guy, I thought the magic may have worn off, but this film is a lasting legacy, a testament to the brilliance of these old Disney films. Watching this again, I found myself smiling at the antics of the dwarfs, singing to songs I'd long forgotten, and crying with the dwarfs over Snow White's body. Snow White has managed to enchant audiences for 74 years, and will continue doing so for as long as I can imagine.