IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 3 of 21: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Stained Glass

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
4 September 2008

I have a lot of complaints about Disney; what he made personally and the lumbering beast his studio has become.

In particular, he murdered one of the most precious literary structures we have in Alice. But in his first big project, he did well enough to change the world. In its day, this was a rule- changer, the Star Wars of its day. Everything that happened afterward was different.

Many people credit the characterizations, which Disney never did as well afterward, creating a vacuum for Pixar to fill. I admit that except for the "swallow the soap" trick, I liked that element.

But I think there is something more fundamental at work.

Movies are basically about visual notation. Its less about what the stories are than how they are told. One of the evolutions that I track is the business of outside awareness. But this, I think is something different, sort of in the opposite direction. We had comics before, where objects were not masses but boundaries. We had cartoons before, where large blobs of grey and then color defined shapes that we assigned identities to. But this has two things. They were revolutionary.

The first is the narrative long form. It isn't complex; it has only one arc. We even know what the arc is and how it will end, the only mystery (for the original viewers) being in the cinematics of the thing. Disney would stumble later, on understanding the nature of long form storytelling but here he does what must have seemed impossible.

The second is more visual. At the time, this seemed more natural and organic than anything that had gone before (except for the Prince — Disney always has trouble with men). We focus on the dwarfs, but the girl has mannerisms that are beyond anything we had seen before, the best being Betty Boop before the censors intervened.

But there's something deeper, and to explain it, we need some history. Light is magical. Reflected light isn't very special, light like you see bouncing off a magazine page. The colors you see are dimmer than real world colors because of the strength of the light of course, but what you see is what is not absorbed. You see the leftovers. In stained glass, the light comes through, directly from the source. The colors you see are more vibrant. Ancient glassmasters formulated glass that the moderns do not, so if you have a chance to see one (like the Tree of Jesse in Chartres) you will see millions of facets in each color because of the way that the color was layered on in a "flashing" process, creating refractive crystal boundaries.

These windows are a profound experience because of this scintillation effect that is subliminal. Like these old cartoons, the beings and objects are blobs of shimmering color with outlines that infer identity. Its a deep art that exists no where else, and not even since in stained glass.

Now another fact. Snow is not white. Snow is a collection of ordered microcrystals that refract light in all colors. The combined effect adds to white, but as you move ever so slightly, you will be receiving millions of millions of flashes of pure color. And now a final fact. In 1952, when I saw this on a huge screen, the screen technology involved faceted grains of silica that had this snow-effect of micro-refraction. Today's screens use microspheres, tiny balls with smooth surfaces, so the effect is not the same. And obviously digital screens are another matter. They all preserve this "transmitted light" effect of stained glass, as do all films. (But the new mastering of the cartoon for DVD does increase the purity of the colors, emphasizing the stained glass semiotics.)

I recently saw this on DVD, and was instantly reminded of the viewing 55 years ago, which washed over with a blizzard of snow scintillations with medieval weight, both in the story and the stained glass. I've never lost that thrill, and I wish it for you. This changed me and it changed film.

Ted's Evaluation -- 4 of 3: Every cineliterate person should experience this.

This Classic Truly Withstands the test of Time. It's As Beautiful Today as Ever!

Author: rannynm from United States
4 February 2016

Before Cinderella lost her slipper and before Aladdin met the Genie, Walt Disney did his most crazy and insane project ever - a feature animated movie, the first of its kind. The title of the film is Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Parents and kids loved this film decades ago and, a generation later, families can now enjoy this beautiful classic in Blu-Ray.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a musical with catchy, and beautiful singing done by Adriana Caselotti, (Snow White), Lucille La Verne (Queen) and others. There is also a sense of adventure, and a magical romance, between Snow White and the Prince.

The story begins when the Queen discovers that she is not the fairest of them all, and that Snow White is. Out of jealousy, she orders the death of Snow White. However, Snow White gets away. She comes upon 7 dwarfs which she befriends. The Queen angrily learns about her failed death, and decides to poison the young princess!

Since this is the Diamond Edition of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, it is packed with extra features including a tour of the animation studios in the 1930s, actual interviews with Walt Disney, cool facts, (Did you know Snow White was originally designed to have gold hair? Who knew!) and so much more. My favorite part concentrates on how Walt Disney hired over 300 artists, how he spent so much money on making it perfect, and just how much speculation and hate he got for attempting to make (and being very successful as a result) a 90 minute animated film.

Even though this film was made almost a century ago, the quality of the animation is as good as films made today. Hand-drawn animation has a quality of from the human touch that CGI can never achieve. In terms of the soundtrack, Walt Disney had a knack for making his animated films not only have background music, but he created it in such as way that the music becomes an integral part of the story. For example, when Snow White and the Prince first meet, they sing a song together and it represents almost, "Instant love," better than words ever could. This story is based on a classic European fairy tale, and Walt Disney hired a few people who specifically made European-styled drawings, to make the film feel like the original fairy tale, which was perfect for the film. The voice-over sound quality is also top notch, amazingly so since again, it was made almost 100 years ago. I would easily compare it to the voice over acting and quality of the late 90s. This film was ambitious in terms of being the first animated feature film, but also was first feature film to have a female lead.

My favorite scene is the meeting of The Prince and Snow White. In the scene, Snow White is cleaning outside and she explains to her bird friends what a wishing well is. A prince overhears her fantastic singing and is love-struck when he meets her. This scene is one of my favorites because the music is beautiful, the animation is spectacular and this scene specifically illustrates my point about European artists designing the backgrounds. It really looks like a European castle of some sort.

This film was designed for all ages and I still agree. I recommend it for ages 6 to 13 specifically. Younger kids will enjoy the bright colors, dancing and singing. Older kids can appreciate how difficult it was to make this film and the storyline itself. Adults who have happy memories of seeing this film years ago will also enjoy it. Overall, it's a great film for the family. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because of the spectacular animation, exciting story (typical of films made by Walt Disney) and clear voice acting.

Author: rannynm from United States
4 February 2016

Historically Very Important

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
10 January 2016

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

**** (out of 4)

The beautiful and charming Snow White comes under attack by a man who has been hired by the evil Queen to kill her. She ends up taking shelter in the forest with seven dwarfs but soon the Queen has more plans to destroy her.

There's no question that this is a legendary film and a very important one to history as it was the first feature-length film from Walt Disney Studios. The film was a tremendous hit when it was first released and it really broke new ground in regards to what people would be willing to sit through. After all, it was a mystery if people in 1937 would be willing to sit through a feature-length cartoon and whether or not they'd be able to show emotions towards animated characters.

As for the film itself, it's certainly a great one from Disney's original Golden Age. There's no question that the most impressive thing is how great the actual animation is. I've seen plenty of cartoons from this era and the quality is usually good but there's no question that the amount of detail was just taken to a new level here. Just take a look at how much detail is in the forest scenes. Look at the detail to the seven dwarfs. Look at the terrific detail in the Queen's potions.

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS features a memorable and lovable lead character, a great villain and seven great comic relief characters. I also liked the fact that the darkness of the Grimm's Fairy Tale was also left in and this certainly makes the film more adult in a way. Disney would make a major breakthrough with this film and it remains refreshing all these years later.

An Absolute Masterpiece That Changed the Cinema Forever

Author: Nelson Quintino from Brazil
18 October 2015

In thirties there was some short animations, and so Walt Disney decided to make a full-length movie, and many people thought he was going crazy, that nobody will stand this, and so on. After more than four years of hard work for him and his team, and more than a million dollars spent, the movie was ready in December 1937, and the result was amazing. With an impressive and creative work from the designers, the characters come alive in a captivating way, and the public was mesmerized with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. The audience was thrilled, many come to tears after Snow White ate the the poisoned apple, and the success was so astonishing that the movie became one of the most watched movies in history, and it still continues to captivate millions of people around the world. This was Walt Disney's cornerstone, all that he made after was based on this unique movie, and because of it he was one of the few persons in the world able to fulfill the most of his dreams. And the cinema changed forever, it showed us that the public was ready to embrace the wonderland.

Some Day My Prince Will Come

Author: Rainey-Dawn from United States
26 June 2014

Another wonderful "damsel in distress" film animation from Disney! This movie is right up there with Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I still love this movie after all these years.

The seven dwarfs are cute, comical and each of them as cuddly as a teddy bear - including Grumpy! Without the comic relief of the dwarven the movie would be a good drama.

Snow White has all the inner and outer beauty that a person could hope for. She's cheerful, helpful, charming, polite, friendly and fun. Quite a nice character.

Queen Grimhilde is the picture of all vanity. She wants to be the only beautiful woman in the kingdom. She is quite beautiful on the outside but she lacks the inner beauty that Snow White has which makes her more angry and jealous at Snow.

Prince Florian is a dashing and daring guy who has his eyes on the beautiful Snow White. Prince Florian is another "Prince Charming" and our hero of the film.

Yes this is a great Walt Disney classic that should be seen if only once in you lifetime.

"Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations."

Author: utgard14 from USA
3 June 2014

My favorite Disney film. Obviously its historical importance can't be stressed enough but let's not overlook how wonderfully entertaining it is. If you like sweet, colorful fairy tale stories, it doesn't get much better than this. There are lots of memorable scenes and songs. The characters are lively and fun, even the evil Queen. It should also be pointed out that, for all of the adorable animals and dwarfs, there are some genuinely spooky parts, too. Snow White fleeing through the shadowy forest is possibly my favorite scene of the whole movie. The Queen's ultimate fate is also quite dark. It's really a terrific film. A timeless classic that is essential viewing for everybody. I grew up a half-century after this came out and its age didn't show to me at all. I hope kids today that have been weaned on computer-animated films can still enjoy older cartoons like this.

Groundbreaking classic and it's actually fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
12 April 2014

The first full-length animated feature from the Disney Studios is a hit and has led the way for every animated movie since. Snow White is a beautiful princess who is targeted by the jealous Queen. The Queen orders the Huntsman to kill Snow White, but he takes pity on her and sends her off into the woods. There she is rescued by the Seven Dwarfs. The Queen finds out that Snow White has survived and decides to curse her with her own poison apple.

It is deserving of the label classic. The story is fun. I love the Dwarfs. I love the Queen. I wish Snow White could be less girly girl, but those were the times. For being a first, it does it with great charm. It is a credit to the movie world. There are great catchy songs. Even a dated song like 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' is still very compelling.

Still fair

Author: MissSimonetta from United States
5 March 2014

For all its historical importance, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) is not treated well by most Disney fans. It is tolerated, but not respected or loved. Common complaints fall upon the heroine being too passive, the music being too dated, too much padding, etc. No film is perfect, even great films, but my God, people are too harsh on this one.

No other Disney film possesses the innocence of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It has a freshness, an excitement to it. It's as though you could feel the animators' joy in every frame. There is no hip irony or cynicism on display, no need to be subversive or cool. The whole thing is a fairy tale played straight and with tons of heart. It isn't hard to see why weary Depression audiences so readily took it to their hearts and declared it "the happiest thing since Armistice".

Snow White is not complex or super interesting as a character, but she has more of a personality than she is given credit for. She is also tougher than you'd think: she's a young teenage girl from an abusive home, yet she still believes she should keep a positive view of life and tries her best to stay optimistic through all her troubles. That's admirable. As for her warbling soprano, many will not favor it and yes, it is dated. However, don't be too harsh there. After all, I doubt the modern pop hit "Let It Go" in Frozen (2013) will gracefully age either.

Of course, the dwarfs are all lovable and entertaining. The Queen/Witch is chilling, one of the finest Disney villains. The Prince... well, he's rather dull. Honestly, I don't get the criticism of Snow's supposed lack of personality; she has it all over her prince.

The animation is still beautiful, even if there are a few awkward moments due to rotorscoping and experimentation. The muted color scheme is lovely, a great contrast to the exhausting bright colors which saturate modern animation (I mainly think of the garish Hercules (1997) or The Lorax (2012)). The backgrounds give one the impression of a children's storybook come to life.

Overall, this is a great film and we are still feeling its influence (for better or worse, since American animation is rarely allowed to leave the Snow White model). Without a doubt, it deserves more respect from modern audiences.

My Favorite Disney Classic Film

Author: breakdownthatfilm-blogspot-com from United States
19 January 2013

There are just some things you just can't beat and Disney's version of Snow White still can hold its own to many other animated fairy tale films that are being put out today. In this animated feature film, there is absolutely nothing that any viewer can't adore. The main premise of Snow White is still the same; the queen wants her dead and she wishes to be the fairest of them all. But in Disney's first ever to be released film, there are a few other added ideas to the story that make it a true Disney treasure.

Let's begin with the characters first. Adriana Caselotti plays the voice of Snow White. Caselotti's voice, when it is either singing or just talking, is wholesomely beautiful, sweet and cute and matches the way her character is drawn quite nicely. It is by far, one of the most amiable voices a viewer could hear. As for the Queen/Witch who tries to have Snow White killed, is voiced by Lucille La Verne. She too makes her character very memorable. Her cackle as the witch sent chills up my spine.

As Snow White flees from the Queen she also befriends a large amount of the forest animals; which all have the ability to some how understand her. But I really don't care because it is just as amazing to watch this movie now as it was for the viewers of 1937. But the supporting characters that everyone loves and remembers the most are the seven dwarfs voiced by multiple radio sensations of the time. And the great thing is, every fan has seven dwarfs to pick from to be the one they cherish the most. My favorite is bashful, just for being...well bashful. Tying his beard into knots and such. What a goofball hahahaha.

The other two great elements in this picture are the musical numbers and the animation. Whatever made the animation the way it was for its time, is truly something. I can't put my finger on it, but the animation is made in a way that not many other films were made in this category. This is probably due to the technology of the time. But none the less, this creates a nostalgic feel to the film. The same goes for the background music composed by Paul L. Smith.

Finally, along with Smith's score, are the musical numbers the characters perform. If it's the "Whistle While You Work", "Heigh-Ho", "I'm wishing" or any other song I can think of, all have really fun tunes and leave a lasting impression. Plus, they are fun to join in and sing along with as well. A very interactive film for its time and did wonders for Walt Disney's business. You just can't beat a classic like this one.

The Disney version of the Grimm brothers' fairy tale is colorful in animation, as are its musical numbers and lively characters. A true sense in the word classic.