IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 12 of 21: [Prev][7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A true classic

Author: rachaelallison2
10 May 2013

How do you even review a movie that you grew up with, without being fully nostalgic? Without having a bias towards it because you know it so well?

I don't think you can, which is partly why I love this movie. It's completely wonderful and charming, but the fact that it brings up such nostalgic feelings, and I can recite every line, make it nearly perfect.

The evil queen is so, well, evil! She is so evil, she is willing to make herself the ugliest old hag around in order to kill poor, sweet Snow White!

Snow White, on the other hand, is the sweetest and most gentle young girl (she is only 14, you know). She wouldn't hurt a fly!

And, of course, the dwarfs are the humor in the story. Grumpy is my favorite!

All in all, this movie is truly a 10. Walt Disney was an absolute genius!

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! Back to the film we go!

Author: sebmmoderns from England
16 July 2012

Well, you all know about The Fairy Tale itself as well as the Disney film, so I won't go into any detail with the plot or the history of this classic film, instead of that, I shall tell you the reasons why I enjoyed it! This film in comparison to any modern day crap that families would walk into and out of to let the end credits roll by itself and just forget about the film years later, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs is unforgettable and it does not have the unfunny toilet humor that most shows and films (such as Ren And Stimpy) have, the 2D animation had lots of effort put into it, unlike most lazy CGI cartoons had which involved just motions and pictures made on computers and Snow White has an end title saying: "The End" and the film would just end, unlike almost all modern films that have minutes of end credits to offer. This film is family friendly with only very mildly scary scenes and the film overall is a lot of fun to watch! It is definitely a classic to watch over and over again!

My Rating: 10/10!

Seed of revolution

Author: Armand from Romania
29 December 2011

A courage act. And a seed for an industry without limits. The good lucky movie of Disney. And a great story . Impressive victory of animation and chapter of movies history. A beautiful music and nice characters, gentle emotion and good humor, a Queen as prototype for every bad feminine character and dwarfs as pieces of fabulous machine. A film for each age but significant revolution of vision about this type of show. And a fairy tall makes after new rules, as giant tree in the intention to build a new style to tell that stories. So, a great movie. For remember of childhood, for charming scenes, for sense of fantasy in a cold -gray world. And for new adaptations of a German page about beauty, kindness, mirrors and apples, and Charming Prince.

This heigh-ho definitely has a silver lining.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
24 November 2011

While it comes as no surprise nowadays (after all of the praise heaped upon it), I'm still impressed at just how much Disney got right in their very first animated feature. The great animation, the catchy songs, the memorable characters, the tone pitched perfectly between great comedy and moments of pant-wetting terror.

Everyone knows the story by now, it's a classic based on the fairy tale by The Brothers Grimm - Snow White is to be taken into the forest and killed because the evil queen wants to be the "fairest one of all". Thankfully, the huntsman can't go through with the dastardly deed and lets Snow White run away. She flees through some dark and scary woodlands until she stumbles across a little house and decides to enter. That house belongs to the seven dwarfs (Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Doc, Happy, Bashful and Dopey for any pub quizzers) and wariness soon gives way to warmth and friendship. But the evil queen finds out that Snow White remains alive and plots to take care of the situation.

There are a few songs featured in this movie that I'd forgotten about but the more memorable tunes are known by almost everyone who has grown up with a bit of Disney in their lives. "Whistle While You Work", "Some Day My Prince Will Come" and "Heigh-Ho" are absolute classics while even a lesser-known tune like "(Isn't This) A Silly Song" proves entertaining enough while it goes on.

Snow White may be a bit of a bland leading lady (sadly, most Disney ladies are from what I've seen) but the movie lives up when the dwarfs come on screen and each character gets some time to make an impression.

A real group effort, like so many of the genuine Disney classics, I'm not going to single out anyone for praise because the whole thing just comes together so beautifully. It's not quite up there with the very best that the studio could create but it's an absolutely fantastic, and astonishingly accomplished, debut feature from a company who had already made such a great impact with numerous shorts.

A story age can't dim

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
11 November 2011

We all know the story.A magic mirror tells the wicked queen her step daughter is the fairest of them all.She tells the huntsman to kill Snow White, but he can't do that.She fins a cabin in the woods, where seven dwarfs live.Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is an animated film from 1937, based on the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm.Walt Disney really hit the jackpot with this one.It was the first full length cel-animated feature in motion picture history.The voice artist are first class.Adriana Caselotti is the voice of Snow White.Lucille La Verne is Queen Grimhilde.Harry Stockwell (father of Dean) does the voice of The Prince.The dwarfs are voiced by Roy Atwell (Doc), Pinto Colwig (Grumpy and Sleepy), Otis Harlan (Happy), Scotty Mattraw (Bashful), Billy Gilbert (Sneezy) and Eddie Collins (Dopey).The Magic Mirror is voiced by Moroni Olsen.Stuart Buchanan is Humbert the Huntsman.This movie works for both kids and adults.I watched it alone and with my 7-year old cousins.So a man in his 30's can enjoy it as much as children can.It's kind of story that amuses you.Take the scene where Snow White cleans the house with those cute animals for instance.It can also make you cry, like the ending after Snow White has taken a bite from that apple.And those songs heard there are really something.Like "Whistle While You Work".Or "Heigh-Ho".Fantastic! This classic is now 74 years old, but years have done no bad to the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

"Well, once there was a princess".

Author: classicsoncall from Florida, New York
10 July 2011

With this review, I've hit a goal I've been aiming for, that of reviewing every film on the American Film Institute's list of Top 100 Films which came out in 1997. I saved this for last because, let's face it, I'm a guy who's more at home with a good Western than a Disney fairy tale, and it would look pretty silly to be seen watching this picture by someone pulling up the driveway and looking though the bay window. So for this viewing, I grabbed my two year old granddaughter for cover, and casually mentioned to her mom and my wife that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was about to begin.

You know, I must have seen this as a kid because I remember a fair amount about it, especially the 'Heigh-Ho' song and the talking mirror business. Watching today I was a bit surprised by some of the scary elements in the story, starting off with the Evil Queen's command to the Huntsman to bring back the heart of Snow White in a box. I thought about that for some time, and then wondered what ever happened to the Huntsman. Someone spilled the beans about the pig heart gimmick, but the Queen never got her revenge as far as I could tell.

Since everyone knows the story, I'll mention some of the things I thought about in context of the picture's release in 1937. The term 'Jiminy Crickets' was used twice in the story, but the character of Jiminy Cricket didn't appear in a Disney picture until 1940's "Pinocchio". Up till then, using the term was sort of a sanitized way of taking the Lord's name in vain, sometimes exclaimed as 'Jiminy Christmas'. Judy Garland's character Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" says it when startled by the Wizard's lightning and thunder display - "Oh! Oh! Jiminy Crickets!"

There's also the Evil Queen's use of a poisoned apple to put Snow White to sleep, reminiscent of the Bible story of Adam and Eve and the forbidden fruit. But the thing that really intrigued me was when my daughter questioned Snow White's brown eyes. I didn't think much of it until my wife joined the picture in progress about ten minutes later. She remarked on the same thing. It never occurred to me that Walt Disney avoided the blond, blue-eyed stereotype that seemed to be the characteristic of an ideal princess. I haven't read any other observations on this, so I'm just throwing it out there.

Anyway, as an animated classic, this one holds up pretty well after seventy plus years, paving the way for a Disney industry that's still going strong. Considering that the animation was all done by hand makes it even more amazing - the characters, the animals, the Seven Dwarfs all come to life in a magical way that enthralled my granddaughter, keeping her rapt attention until the very end. There's only one thing you can say to that - 'Jiminy Crickets'!

Pure magic

Author: loserfilmnerd from Canada
5 April 2011

Snow White is considered to be one of the greatest masterpieces of all time for a very good reason. Not only was it innovative and very unique for its time, it is also very thrilling, funny and spellbinding.

Since this is a Disney movie, it goes without saying that the animation was absolutely gorgeous. It contains very fluid animation on top of very detailed backgrounds. It is also very atmospheric, with the mood changing from scary to happy and joyful a few times.

The songs were very wonderful and catchy. The actress who voiced Snow White had a very nice and unique voice. I also thought Hi Ho and the other song the dwarfs sing were very fun and ridiculously catchy. And of course it also had a very beautiful score.

Although there were some things keeping it from a perfect ten. The character of Snow White can at times be irritating in her flawlessness and purity. It felt like the prince was tacked on last minute as a deus ex machina. It seems with most Disney films at the time, the only enjoyable characters are the side characters and the villain. This movie is mostly loved because of the dwarfs. And who couldn't love those guys? They were hilarious. And the Queen was, of course, very menacing and scary.

It could also be argued that the movie had a lot of filler. Almost all Disney movies were full of filler in Walt's time. But most people don't really care, probably because of how entertaining the filler usually is.

This movie is definitely recommended to all animation fans, and those of us who are still children inside.

Masterpiece

Author: Undead_Master
20 December 2008

watching this for the first time recently, I was struck by the feeling of watching a dream in motion. It's so simple, but it has a quality of pure artistry that goes well beyond the narrative. In fact, the films true strength is heightened by the simplicity of the story because it allows the film to communicate on a deeper level. The story itself can almost be followed without thinking at all, which lets the subconscious mind grab the film and run with it. One of the best films I've ever seen and currently my favorite Disney movie. It's missing some things that other Disney movies have, but it replaces those elements with something more primal and harder to define.

A Watchable Classic

Author: joliefille411 from United States
1 September 2008

Event though Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is touted as a spectacular achievement and such, it has kind of a bad rap when it comes to sitting down to actually watching it. And that really is a shame.

As a piece of history, of course this movie is unparalleled. Everyone knows all the achievements and advancements that came from it. I will give my undying gratitude to Snow White for starting the undisputed greatest tradition in film history.

And honestly, for turning 70 this year, the old dame's held up pretty well. No, it has never been my favourite Disney fairy tale, but it has far more merits than detriments.

OK, OK the titular character is about as flat as the paper she's drawn on , gratingly dense, and there's no accounting for taste when choosing the voice (It feels like they were honestly going for 12 years old, which just disturbs contemporary audiences). And the animators definitely showed their weakness when it came to the prince, HOWEVER, the rest is superb. The forest and anything involving the Queen are genuinely terrifying. Many scenes I could not endure when I was little without throwing back my head and howling. So much care and individual quirks are put into the dwarfs. I put my old VHS copy in not too long ago and was completely taken back by how funny some of their stuff is. I was not expecting it to retain that much entertainment value.

So all in all, we all know SWSD is a historical piece of blah blah blah, but I think we've forgotten that beyond that, it really is a good movie. Like what they say about good wines, it only gets better with age.

Quote of the Film:

-I said, 'how do you do?'

-How do you do what?

Set the standards for all future animated movies.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
4 July 2008

Of course one of the things about animated movies is that no matter when they got made they never look old. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" got made in 1937 but it looks just as good and the same as Disney movies- and other full length animated movies that got made in much later decades. You can say that "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" was the movie that set the standards for animated movies and was a sign of things to come. It's also the reason why the movie won a special Academy Award for 'pioneering a great new entertainment field'. It was not awarded on simple Academy Award but also 7 smaller ones along with it. A nice and fitting tribute.

Even though it's the very first full length animated Disney feature it's also actually one of the most daring ones. Some moments are truly scary done and the movie features some real horror like moments and even a skeleton in a shocking scene. No way Disney movies would allow these sort of imagery these days. It shows they were still looking for the right style and approach for their movies at the Disney studios.

But it's funny to note how little the animation style had actually changed for the Disney movies over the years. Right till the '90's Disney movies used the same animation style and were just as good and smooth looking as this movie. It makes it all the movie obvious what a great accomplishment for 1937 this movie was. Not only the characters and their movies are looking fine but also the backgrounds and all of the other little details in it.

So it's not a movie that is outdated with its style but it of course is with its story. As a matter of fact "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" story is shockingly simply and there hardly is any story development. It also is disgustingly happy and friendly with all of the cuddly animals in it and the sweet character of Snow White herself. But yet this at the same time is definitely part of the charm of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs".

While the comedy is not as good or much present as would be the case in a Disney short, featuring Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse for example, it still is a very fun movie to watch, which is due to the overall atmosphere of the movie and the likability of the characters.

The characters from this movie are still among the best and most memorable ones out of all Disney movies. Not just Snow White herself but also obviously the seven dwarfs, who also make the movie mostly entertaining to watch. The Queen/Witch is also a good memorable Disney villain, even though her role is actually quite small in the movie.

Also this earliest Disney movie already featured songs in it. Some of them are still classics and it's must better stuff when compared to some Disney movies which got made in the first years after "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", with the exception of "Pinocchio", which was the first next big Disney project after this one.

Still just as good and watchable as it was at the time of its release.