IMDb > Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

STILL The Fairest One Of All!

Author: phillindholm from Rohnert Park, CA
18 July 2006

There isn't much that hasn't already been said about "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs", Walt Disney's first feature length animated film. Suffice it to say that it not only fulfilled the studio's hopes beyond their wildest dreams, it made possible the Disney films that followed it. From the famous Grimm fairy tale about a beautiful princess who flees her jealous stepmother and finds refuge with seven friendly dwarfs, Walt Disney created a cinematic milestone. At the time the film was in production until the day it was released, rival producers were supposedly referring to it as "Disney's Folly".Although this myth has been recently debunked in film historian JB. Kaufman's magnificent new book (''The Fairest One Of All:The Making Of Walt Disney's Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs''Weldon Owen/Disney Press, 2012)it's true that only after it's huge success, did fellow movie makers attempt their own full-length cartoon features. Upon it's debut, at Hollywood's Carthay Circle theater, (December 21, 1937)the film was embraced both by critics and audiences, grossing many times it's then record (for an animated film) $1.5 million budget. Eight successful reissues have kept the movie in the public consciousness now for over six decades, during which time the field of animation has grown by leaps and bounds. Still. despite the cinematic advances and the passage of time, "Snow White" stands alone. While the classic story is but a framework for the film (a fact which troubled me for years), "Snow White" can be fully enjoyed for the pioneer it truly is.

Along with a splendid cast of voices headed by Adriana Caselotti (Snow White) Harry Stockwell (father of Guy and Dean, as the Prince) and Lucille La Verne (The Queen), there are songs which can truly be called timeless: "Whistle While You Work", "Heigh Ho", "Some Day My Prince Will Come", etc.). Much time and effort went toward developing the characters of the Seven Dwarfs and giving each a distinct personality (absent in the original story) which went a long way in making audiences care for Snow White's plight. Interestingly enough, although the fairy tale was toned down considerably to make it more "family friendly", the overzealous way in which the film makers transformed the Wicked Queen into a hideous hag at the climax was the subject of an incredible amount of controversy at the time. In fact, it was under a partial ban in England which made it off-limits to children under 16 years of age! Nevertheless, it was the recipient of a special Academy Award in 1938.

To go on about the impact made by the film would be redundant. It simply must be seen to be appreciated. In 2001, it was released on DVD as the first of Disney's "Platinum Editions". And many months before it was in stores, there was great speculation about the content. All the anticipation was justified when the DVD finally arrived. Critics and consumers were overwhelmed (just like the audiences back in 1937) with both the content and the painstaking restoration (beyond that done for it's 50th anniversary reissue) and made it THE DVD for the subsequent holiday season. Without going into detail, it looks as if it were made yesterday, and sounds better than a film of this vintage could ever be expected to. But the streamlining has not diminished it's charm--only accentuated it. And when you think (before you are drawn into the story, and you ARE) that "Snow White", unlike today's computer-drawn animated features was entirely done by hand, that makes it even more of a miracle.In one scene, when Snow White is scrubbing the steps of the Castle, and pours water from a bucket on them, the effect is remarkable-and that one, near the beginning, is just one small sample of the film's artistry.Back to the DVD. Instead of listing the already well publicized bonus features, let me say that this "Platinum Edition" is like a self-contained history of the film, with hours worth of delights the most astounding being a pieced-together commentary by Walt Disney himself. Out of print for years, it is well worth the effort and expense to find. And although Disney made it a point to announce that they planned to go even further with their subsequent "Platinum Editions", they have yet to top this one. And I doubt they ever will. Incidentally, this year marks the film's 75th anniversary, and I can think of no better way to celebrate this movie milestone than picking up Professor Kaufman's beautiful new books The second volume '' Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs:The Art And Creation Of Walt Disney's Classic Animated film''is also published by Weldon Owen/Disney Press.It's a very extensive and fully detailed catalog of the ''Snow White'' exhibition,(currently at the Walt Disney museum in San Francisco,California).Here, the emphasis is more on the beautiful art as well as rough sketches and background paintings. Along with it's companion book ''The Fairest One Of All'' it will educate and enchant anyone who cares about the history of Film, Disney Animation and especially ''Snow White'' They are, without a doubt,the definitive tributes to a Timeless Classic, and together, they make perfect souveniers for both the film's 75th Anniversary and and a once in a lifetime event.

A Movie Milestone

Author: travisimo from Pocatello, Idaho, USA
14 January 2004

Where would the animation world be without the humongous success of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? If the movie failed back in 1937, there would be no Disney Company today, no Lion King, and no Disneyland. Disney's Folly, as critics first called it, would probably have scared any other industry from attempting such an ambitious and innovative project. Pixar may not have ever had the chance to put out their groundbreaking features, and even the Disney- and fairy tale-bashing Shrek may never have been made if Snow White didn't set the course for the world of the animated feature.

There must have been tremendous pressure on everyone involved in the making of Snow White, but they did not disappoint. The end result includes a timeless story, classic songs, and beautiful imagery that will live on for future generations to enjoy. In fact, this was only the second movie that captured my nieces' full attention spans (The Lion King being the first).

In my opinion, the story was great but not perfect. It's not as exciting or filled with as much witty remarks as today's animated features, but as soon as the dwarfs are introduced, the movie takes on an endearing lighter side. For the record, my favorite dwarf is Doc, because I can relate to him being a strong leader with some very humanistic follies, such as always getting tongue-tied (I do that myself all too often). All the songs stand out in their own way. `Some Day My Prince Will Come' is a classic, fairy-tale ballad. `Heigh-Ho,' `Dig, Dig, Dig,' and `Whistle While You Work' are great songs to pick up your spirits when you have to go to work, do chores, or do homework. And my favorite, `The Silly Song,' is just a great, catchy, and funny song. As for the imagery, it's just breathtaking, especially considering how early it was introduced. The colors are rich and lively, and the multi-plane camera does add some great depth to the movie.

As you can tell, for an animation and Disney fan like myself, Snow White is a perfect milestone in the movie world. Even compared to the animation and storytelling styles of today, Snow White still stands the test of time. Kudos to everyone involved in this picture as their work will live on forever.

My IMDb Rating: 10/10. My Yahoo! Grade: A+ (Oscar-Worthy)

And then there was Disney,,,

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
19 January 2004

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the very first animated film featured by Disney and one of the most charming. While it's a bit different from the original fairy tale, Walt Disney took this familiar classic and turned into a family film that is still talked about over 60 years later. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is such a charming film and is another example of beautiful animation and a terrific story that could charm it's way into your heart. I still enjoy watching this film to this day, who could love the seven dwarfs? They all were so funny to watch and are so memorable. They pretty much represent our moods, they're kinda like a mood ring that's put into one room, lol. But Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is the perfect family film that is still holding up very well all these years.

Snow White is a lovely princess who one day is just traveling through the forest. She comes across a house where it's a total mess, she decides to clean it as a favor to those who are living there. It turns out that seven dwarfs live there and when they find her, they realize they got a good thing going here, a hot girl who'll clean for them. But not everything is happy, the evil wicked queen wants to be the fairest in the land and Snow White has just beat her by a land slide. So she disguises herself as a witch and offers Snow White an apple, she eats it, and dies. Now the queen's the hottest girl in town, but the dwarfs come up with a clever plan to get her true love, the prince, he must kill the queen and save Snow White so they could live happily ever after.

I'd say that's a nice summary, I try my best anyways. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is just one of the greatest Disney films ever made. It's such a charming film and is very much apart of our pop culture today and as far as films go, this is just a great one. I can't wait to show this to my kids one day, they'll probably laugh thinking how old this movie is that it's hand drawn, but I think that's what makes it so special. The voices, the songs, the animation, everything about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was just beautiful. I highly recommend this, it's a great family film.

The Queen Rules

Author: laffinsal from California
12 December 2002

Quite simply, this one reigns supreme. Although much of the praise this film receives, may be due to the fact that it was it's creator's first attempt at an animated feature, I think it's obvious merits and artistic triumphs are enough to maintain it's place at the top.

First, there is the artwork, which is stunning. The color isn't at it's most vibrant, such as with, say, "Cinderella" (1950), but it is suitable and lovely all the same. A virtual watercolor painting come to life. The details in the animation never fail to amaze. Just look at the raindrops in the chase sequence towards the end. Look how they hit the rocks, and slip away. Such attention to detail was rarely matched in an animated feature, except maybe, in "Pinocchio" (1940).

The characters are of various degrees of interest, with Snow White, probably the least of these. The dwarfs are all charming, and it is they who carry the film during their screentime with the princess. However, one should not deny, that the true star of this film, is the evil queen. Both in her presence of glamour, and in her transformation as an old crone, she is fascinating to watch. I don't believe another Disney villian has ever been both frightening and enchanting, like she has.

Lastly, the music in this film is truly memorable. The "Heigh Ho" sequence is visually impressive, and the dwarfs song as they bathe is a great comedy bit. Not to mention Snow White's anthem "Someday My Prince Will Come"; another gem in the Disney library.

All in all, a tremendous production. Beautiful, thrilling, and memorable.

Almost 70 Years Later, This Still Holds Up Well

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
12 August 2006

This was Walt Disney's first animated full-length movie. I've read where it took somewhere between two to five years to make, and the artwork still stands up to today's standards. It still looks good, especially with today's DVD technology and great-looking television sets. This film, along with Bambi, exhibit some fantastic watercolor-type artwork with the latter being ever more spectacular than this one.

The story is "cute" because of the seven dwarfs. The evil character - the queen - doesn't have that big a role so most of the time it's just a sweet, enjoyable film with nice characters. It's one of the those movies that makes you feel good as you are watching it.

To be honest, some of the scenes lag a bit and Snow White's operatic voice is a bit much for me, but those are the only complaints I could find in this classic film, one of the best ever from Disney.

Still one of the all-time great animated classics...

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
14 July 2001

My mother kept an old clipping for years describing SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS when it opened at Radio City Music Hall and received a rave review from newspaper columnist Westbrook Pegler.

He usually wrote about politics but on this occasion he took time to devote an entire review to Disney's new film. He called it a "masterpiece" and said that when the projectionist slipped those reels of film on the projector, the audience at the Music Hall witnessed one of the greatest motion pictures ever made.

Coming from him, that was high praise indeed. And seeing the film now, restored for its video bow, we can appreciate his words. There are faults, to be sure, but basically it has to be admired for the innovative techniques it used in the art of animation. There are memorable sequences thanks to daring use of the multiplane camera: Snow White's flight through the woods, the Queen and her Magic Mirror, the Queen in the thunderous transformation scene as the camera seems to whirl around her, the Dwarfs in the mine and their march over the bridge as they sing "Heigh-Ho", the dwarfs chasing the witch in the thunderstorm. Even the rippling effects of the water in the wishing well scene.

And, of course, there are the genuinely comic moments that made even the great Charlie Chaplin applaud in admiration. Dopey's antics are always a delight, as are Doc's and Grumpy's. All of the dwarfs are given inventive and funny things to do.

The music is a standout: Someday My Prince Will Come, Heigh-Ho, I'm Wishing, The Yodel Song, etc. The young in heart will always love this classic. It belongs in the top tier of Disney's crown jewels, along with Pinocchio, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella.

Summing up: an inspired work of art on every level that will remain a timeless classic.

Grimm's Fairy Tale source lends beautiful darkness to Queen's scenes / Disney cuteness + classic songs in dwarf scenes make for excellent children's viewing. The only scenes i remember from my childhood, how

Author: Ben_Cheshire from Oz
8 July 2004

Snow White is the fairest one of all. The queen wants to be number one, so decides to come after her. Snow White, cut loose from the castle, stumbles upon a hut where seven dwarves are living - which is where the Queen comes for her, in disguise, with a poison apple...

This has classic written all over it. Disney's first major feature, the grand debut, cements the major features of those to come. It draws from very dark but fantastic material, Grimm's Fairy Tales, and alternates scenes of evocative darkness (the Queen's castle, the man sent to cut Snow White's heart out, and the forest that's alive, are some brilliant examples) with scenes of superlative cuteness and song and dance numbers.

Drawbacks:

There are some beautiful compositions, but the movement of the animation is not as fluid as it would become, even with Pinnochio, Disney's very next feature. Plus, the singing styles are very 1930's opera-style. I can see why i always used to just think of songs during musicals as things i had to wait through till the story got going again - its because almost every song in Snow White doesn't advance the story. Great musical numbers, like the ones in West Side Story, do. They don't feel like we're just waiting around. When most of the Snow White songs come on, the story gets put on hold.

Snow White is too naive, plain and perfect a character to hold our interest these days. Contemporary audiences just don't worship "perfect" people like this. Plus, the attempts at animation of real people is not good. Snow White and the Prince in particular just don't work - whereas the cartoony dwarves really come alive. Try watching her face when she talks.

Highlights:

All of the Queen's scenes are absolute gems, actually. And the dwarves are great. Seven great characters.

One of the best things Disney ever did was the Queen's angry walk down the staircase to the dungeon, and her subsequent making of a potion to transform herself into an old witch. The way the liquid she's mixing comes alive is fantastic, and the close-ups on the crow sitting on the skull are a nice touch.

The poison flooding towards the centre of the pot, engulfing the apple, and the jack o'lantern face on it afterwards.

Some of Disney's most classic songs come from Snow White: Whistle While You Work, Heigh Ho (its off to work we go), and one of the most beautiful Disney songs ever, Some Day My Prince Will Come.

There's also a very memorable piece of theme music that plays during the climactic storm scene.

10/10. An essential, marvellous work. A thing to see.

A classic!!

Author: action-6 from Froland, Norway
15 December 1999

Snowwhite and the 7 dwarfs is one of the best cartoon-movies ever made, and is much better than many of Disney`s newer movies. The animation is brilliant, and could teach many modern cartoons a lesson or two about how to make a good cartoon-movie. I guess that I don`t have to tell you much about the story, since most of you are familiar with it, but I`ll tell you some of it(in case some of you have missed out on this classic). Snowwhite(a princess) is the most beautiful woman in the country, which her stepmother(the queen) doesn`t like. The queen orders her best hunter to kill Snowwhite when she is picking flowers. The hunter is not able to kill Snowwhite, and she runs deeper into the forest. The eventually discovers a small house, which is the dwarfs` house. The queen finds out that Snowwhite is still alive. Snowwhite is a true classic, with superb animation and stunning soundtrack. It was also a groundbreaking movie, which meant that Disney could produce more high-class cartoon-movies to an audience which was gasping for more. 9,5/10

The first and still the best.

Author: katsat from HONOLULU
26 November 1999

My favorite all-time animated movie. Every song is a classic, every character is unforgettable, every voice is perfect, not a second is wasted. Funny, scary, entertaining and revolutionary. Remember that this was the very first animated movie ever, and everyone thought Disney was crazy making it. In 62 years, this movie has never been equaled.

"Wanna know a secret?"

Author: Gary170459 from Derby, UK
20 March 2006

It's spellbinding! I've just watched Snow White for the umpteenth time, and decided it's still as wondrous and lustrous as ever. The music, humour, and animation are stuck magically in the 1930's but it all seems as timeless as the story itself. The best place to see it is in a cinema of course, the same as my daughter and I did over and over again before Disney released it on video in '94.

All available positive epithets (magnificent, amazing, stupendous etc) apply to this one, nearly a 10 in my book. For good or bad SW will never be surpassed, because of capitalist pressures to ensure everything makes money: animation designed and drawn by human beings has lost out to the precise but soulless computer. Ditto music with tunes and marvellous lyrics played well. Gentle humour that the entire family can appreciate has given way to appreciation of smut and cynicism. And that's just Disney! My favourite bits: The song "Wishing", and looking up the well at SW; the dwarfs first seeing her SW in their beds asleep; the dwarfs' washing sequence and song. The only thing I never liked was the apparently rushed ending - the dwarfs are looking after SW's "inanimate" body through the seasons, this handsome guy comes along, kisses her and they both skedaddle into the massive sunset at warp speed! I think I wanted it to last another couple of hours.

Overall, to my feeble mind this is High Art! Highbrows probably don't like it because it was charming and incredibly popular, so does any normal person in the world dislike this film, and if so, why?

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]