IMDb > A Day at the Races (1937) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

hilarious

Author: drystyx from United States
15 May 2007

The Marx Brothers were the Beatles of comedy. And you could take any of a number of their films, and it would be funnier than anything produced in the last twenty years. This is a good example They play their usual selves. Groucho is the authority figure who is just as big a cheat and fake as Chico, who is the poor bum scheming to get ahead, and the great Harpo is the silent bum who is so much like a child. Dumont is the usual high society lady who Groucho antagonizes. And now we have the stunningly beautiful Maureen O'Sullivan playing the heroine. All we need now are gags. And they deliver. There's the scene where Groucho, Chico, and Harpo prepare for an examination, the scene where Groucho acts like different people on a telephone call with a bad guy. The "tutti frutti" scene. Plenty of great scenes. This has a plot, by the way. Saving a sanitarium from being taken over by a bad guy. As usual, logic does not become involved. Just great gags that make you roll over laughing, done by the masters.

one of their best but certainly NOT politically correct!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
6 February 2006

If you insist on NOT being offended by a horribly politically incorrect portion of the film, then either don't watch the film or try to see it on regular network TV (where the offensive segment is usually excised). Harpo Marx has a song and dance number with a group of Black people that is sure to offend almost everyone. However, from a historical sense, it is quite a scene! Now, for the rest of the film. This movie is about as funny as A NIGHT AT THE OPERA but it fortunately has less singing. Groucho is at his best as Dr. Hackenbush, the vet who is mistaken for a human doctor and becomes the head of a sanitarium. It's high energy and silly and sure to please fans of the Marxes.

A bit of horsing around

Author: Bill Halliwell from NYC
8 January 2001

Call me a feminist but "That's not funny"

Not exactly LOL amusing. Maybe its an age thing. The film is after all 63 years old. Sure, I smiled but missed splitting my sides a la Something about Mary or Galaxy Quest.

For my money Hellzapoppin was a far brighter film. The dance sequences, particularly with the jolly negroes are spurious. They may have been bold and inclusive when the film was made but they seem stereotypical now.

The pizza I ordered to go with the movie was good though.

The 14 Year Old Dorothy Dandridge

Author: The Black Englishman from London, England
8 April 2002

I'm afraid that the Marx Brothers don't do it for me. It was the 14 year old Dorothy Dandridge who had a small part in this film that wooed me over to it. Apart from Maureen O'Sullivan, there was nothing going for this film.

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]