IMDb > A Pain in the Pullman (1936) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Pain in the Pullman More at IMDbPro »

Strange Strangers On A Train

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
22 August 2008

Poor Bud Jamison. As "Johnson," he keeps banging his head on the upper berth in his Pullman train every time his obnoxious and loud boss screams his name. He's a go-fer for spoiled "celebrity" "Paul Pain" (James C. Morton), who is victimized by the Three Stooges throughout this story. Mainly, the gag involves a little monkey stealing Pain's hairpiece.

Most of the gags - at least the good ones - involve the same shtick worked over numerous times, such as Johnson banging his head, the hairpiece stolen, the boys trying to get into an upper Pullman berth and then always falling out, the boys not having a clue how to eat a delicacy - in this case crab meat (which they call "a turtle!," etc. My favorite part was Curly thinking he got lucky with this beautiful sleeping babe in one berth.

The mayhem on the train is only in the last eight minutes of this 20-minute short feature. The first part sets up the train and shows the down-and-out Stooges living in poverty and then preparing to go to the train station en route to a "gig" someone got for them. The early jokes are not that much except for Curly cooking a "filet a sole and heel," meaning cooking his boot in the oven.

Johnson, Johnson!

Author: Dan Mudd from USA
12 June 2001

A Pain in the Pullman (1936) stars Moe, Larry, and Curly who are out-of-work actors who get a break. However, they must ride a train to their destination...the comedy begins!

Paul Pain (James C. Morton) is the neighbor and big-time actor who hates The Three Stooges. He is the heart throb of millions!

Larry: "What's a heart throb?" Curly: "A pain in the neck! Nyuk Nyuk!"

The stooges are so good in this short it literally hurts from laughing. They eat a crab and think it's a turtle and keep the whole train up all night! Johnson (Bud Jamison), the head boss, is annoyed so many times by the stooges, it's hilarious! He bumps his head every time on the berth.

I sincerely recommend buying this or watching it on television. Currently, you can watch the stooges on American Movie Classics.

Stooges on a Train

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
11 April 2017

"A Pain in the Pullman" is an American live action short film from 1936, so this one had its 80th anniversary last year. It was written and directed by Hungarian filmmaker Jack White and he worked with the Three Stooges on many other occasions apart from this one here. This is still from the Curly days and also a pretty unpolitical short film despite the rise of Nazi German during that time. I think the Stooges did not get too political until the start of World War II (with the Hitler parodies), but I may be wrong here. Anyway, after a brief introduction our trio ends up on a train and they cause a lot of mayhem there, also to a famous actress who happens to board the train at the very same time. All in all, not one of the worst and also not one of the best Stooges short films. I personally am not the greatest fan of these three as their comedy routine gets a bit repetitive at times and in terms of drama and stories their films are usually completely forgettable. So yeah, thumbs down from me. Don't watch.

Yes indeed, the Stooges are a pain!

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
7 August 2006

"A Pain in the Pullman," directed by Preston Black, is a very funny Three Stooges short! It was reportedly one of the Stooges' personal favorites, and the reason why is not hard to understand. In this short, Moe, Larry, & Curly are travelling vaudevillians who receive an offer to appear in a show titled "The Panics of 1936," and since they are desperately in need of money, they jump at the chance. Trouble is, they never actually get to appear in the show because they cause endless noisy commotion on board the night train carrying their fellow vaudevillians who are trying to sleep.

The main highlights from "A Pain in the Pullman" are indeed the interior train scenes as the Stooges and their pet monkey Joe cause all sorts of hijinks. Joe creates embarrassment for the star of the show Mr. Paul Pain (James C. Morton) by pulling off his toupee. The boys unknowingly invade Mr. Pain's drawing room and consume his fresh crab & champagne. (Actually, Moe and Larry seem a bit wary as they eat their portions of the crab, and Moe later admitted in his autobiography that he hated shellfish.) After Mr. Pain angrily kicks the Stooges out of his drawing room, the boys constantly struggle to jump into their upper berth, with hilarious results! The portly Bud Jamison, one of my favorite supporting actors in the Stooge films, plays the irascible Mr. Johnson, the manager of the show whose sleep is constantly interrupted by the troublemaking Stooges; Mr. Johnson repeatedly bangs his head on the low ceiling whenever he suddenly awakens, and this is probably the most hilarious running gag in the film. By the end, Mr. Johnson and Mr. Pain have had enough of the Stooges and literally throw them off the train; Moe, Larry, & Curly wind up riding on the backs of three bulls!

Again, "A Pain in the Pullman" is a delightful Three Stooges short full of madcap zaniness! Do yourself a favor and be sure to check it out!

Good Three Stooges short!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
11 August 2005

The Three Stooges has always been some of the many actors that I have loved. I love just about every one of the shorts that they have made. I love all six of the Stooges (Curly, Shemp, Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe)! All of the shorts are hilarious and also star many other great actors and actresses which a lot of them was in many of the shorts! In My opinion The Three Stooges is some of the greatest actors ever and is the all time funniest comedy team!

This is one of My favorite Three Stooges shorts with Curly! All Appearing in this short are Bud Jamison, James C. Morton, and Eddie Laughton! This one is so hilarious! Curly has a great performance here and in My opinion its one of his best. I strongly recommend this Three Stooges short!

Classic

Author: amtrack88 from Hacienda Heights, CA
27 May 2004

I have the film on the original 16mm film reel, roughly 200 ft in length. I ran it through the old projector. And I have to say it's a great Stooges film. Although I had a hard time paying attention to the film, since the film kept getting jammed in the projector (a 1926 Bell & Howell, ancient!)

It starts off when the three receive a phone call telling them they just got a job offer in acting. They have to catch a train to get to the location. On the train, with their monkey, they reek havoc on the passengers. Everyone on the train finally gets fed up and throw them off the train in a funny manner.

I did love the scene where they're all struggling to answer the phone. I loved it!

So-So

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
25 February 2008

Pain the the Pullman, A (1936)

** 1/2 (out of 4)

The Three stooges board a train heading for a new job but their pet monkey causes all sorts of trouble. Once again, this short is pretty good but there are still plenty of misses in the joke department. The best moment is when the boys are trying to get into their bed but it's up to high so they have a little trouble. The monkey also gets a few nice laughs.

Now available on Columbia's 2-disc set, which features over 20 shorts, all digitally remastered and looking better than ever.