IMDb > Movie Maniacs (1936) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Movie Maniacs More at IMDbPro »

Living In A Boxcar To Making Movies

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
16 August 2008

The boys go to Hollywood and are mistaken for important New York film executives. Thus, for a few hours they take over a studio, completely wreak havoc during a movie scene and cause the director and two stars to quit in disgust. They then take those spots in the film and, of course, it's horrible. Soon, they are discovered and run for the lives, beginning with a funny scene with two lions.

About the first 60 percent of this Three Stooges short involves the guys getting to Hollywood with the usual breakfast-making and pants-pressing gags. For guys bumming a ride in an empty railroad car, it's pretty amazing how they got all the furniture in here without being detected. (One doesn't try to analyze Three Stooges films!). In this boxcar, they have a big bed, a stove, food, mirrors, chairs, paint, irons, you name it.....even a picture of John Barrymore! Curley's goal is to be the new John Barrymore.

It takes several attempts to try to sneak into the studio, once the boys make it to Hollywood. After a few clichés, Curley said, "If you don't succeed, keep succin' 'til you do succeed."

Once the boys get in, they show the experts how to kiss and how to use hand actions in dramatic scenes. The latter has some funny material, probably the best in this story.

Overall, this is fair. It doesn't have a lot of laugh-out-loud scenes but it has some good subtle stuff, mostly by Curley. By the way, have you noticed how they spelled it Curley at times and Curly - without the "e" - at other times?

Boy, will I show these guys how to make pictures!

Author: Dan Mudd from USA
12 June 2001

Movie Maniacs (1936) stars Moe, Larry, and Curly trying to get into the picture business. They start off on a train, headed for Hollywood. All they want is to make pictures. What's the best way to get in? Why break in, of course! The stooges try to make movies, but are caught and forced out.

This is in the apex of stooge shorts! It's extremely funny with fantastic bits with each stooge. Larry and Curly use their hands to act. Larry and Curly try to fill in for an actor and actress. Moe is the director who will print anything!

Make some popcorn and prepare to laugh till you are blue in the face.

MOVIE MANIACS (Del Lord, 1936) **1/2

Author: MARIO GAUCI ( from Naxxar, Malta
9 February 2008

This Three Stooges short was a particular disappointment given the Hollywood milieu; in fact, the opening scene aboard the train is more inventive than the ensuing studio silliness! The comic trio are mistaken for movie executives and given the run of the studio (the president's name, Fuller Rath, emerges as the film's best gag): unsurprisingly, they drive the director and leading actors to distraction with their antics and end up by replacing them (with Moe as director, Larry the leading man, and Curley – naturally in drag – takes on the part of the leading lady)! The film is okay in itself, but clearly not in the same league as feature films on the subject starring other contemporary comedians – such as Harold Lloyd's similarly-titled MOVIE CRAZY (1932) and W.C. Fields' NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK (1941).

Author: cheryla_d from United States
23 February 2007

As a child and thru my lifetime I watched this movie several times. We always loved the 3 Stooges, but the real reason was my father's cousin Mildred Harris,the leading lady. She died before I was born, my older sister looks just like her. Her father and my grandmother were sis/brother. I would love to find some pictures and any other information available. I do know that she was divorced. There were no living children. When my grandmother died, seems most of the Harris Family lost contact. Most of her Dad's family is from South Dakota and Indiana. She is also cousin to Bongo Phil Harris, he was the voice from the Jungle Book cartoon and recorded music. All information would be appreciated. Thanks.

A classic film from a classic era

Author: strife82 from United States
1 February 2011

This here "Movie Maniacs" short was filmed in what I would consider the Three Stooges' "anarchistic period", that few years' span in which the boys did just about anything for a laugh. In later years their shorts would start to make a bit more sense and have more in the way of story and plot, and while that was all good as it didn't always get in the way of their slapstick and antics, those mid-to-late-1930s films, in all their nonsensical glory, made for plenty of big laughs on my end. "Movie Maniacs" is one of those fine examples, focusing on the trio's ability to turn all things conventional on their heads in their attempt to make something of themselves, usually resulting in general chaos being unleashed (pretty typical for the Stooges, but we love them for it). I've found many things to humor me throughout, from their arrival at the studio to the eventual madness on the movie set itself, as a result of the group's manic energy that seemed to bubble over on occasion (poor Curly swooning at a starlet's kiss, or his child-like tantrums over Moe's confiscating his many-sized pencils). They don't really show this one as often as others, which is a damn shame if you ask me, and as it stands in this day and age "Movie Maniacs" could be considered a rare treat from the early glory days that makes me chortle every time I see it.

"Ain't I getting to look more and more like Barrymore?"

Author: slymusic from Tucson, AZ
29 August 2009

"Movie Maniacs" is a very good Three Stooges comedy starring Moe, Curly, and Larry. The boys aspire for a career in the motion picture business, which they soon learn is tough to get into, until the general manager of Carnation Pictures mistakes them for big-time studio executives.

My favorite scenes from "Movie Maniacs": Curly's wheat cake drops down from the ceiling and splats Moe in the face. Curly (in drag) jumps onto Larry's lap, breaking the chair underneath him. Larry and Curly stand behind an on-screen couple and give them puppet arms.

At the beginning of "Movie Maniacs", the Stooges acknowledge they know nothing about making pictures, but they think that their ideas can revolutionize the business. But in the end, when their real identities are discovered, Moe says, "I think our genius ain't appreciated here."

Good Stooges

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
26 February 2008

Movie Maniacs (1936)

*** (out of 4)

Three Stooges short has the boys going to Hollywood to become stars. They get thrown out of the studio lot but sneak their way back on and are mistaken for movie execs. Now they try their way to make movies. The most laughs come from the start of the film with Curly trying to cook breakfast and Larry trying to press Moe's pants. The stuff in Hollywood has a few clever lines but no big laughs.

This is now available in Columbia's 2-disc collection, which features over 20 shorts from the boys, all digitally remastered.

Movie Maniacs!

Author: Movie Nuttball from U.S.A.
8 February 2005

The Three Stooges has always been some of the many actors that I have loved. I love just about every one of the shorts that they have made. I love all six of the Stooges (Curly, Shemp, Moe, Larry, Joe, and Curly Joe)! All of the shorts are hilarious and also star many other great actors and actresses which a lot of them was in many of the shorts! In My opinion The Three Stooges is some of the greatest actors ever and is the all time funniest comedy team!

One of the most unique Three Stooges shorts is Movie Maniacs. In this short are Bud Jamison, Harry Semels, Mildred Harris, Kenneth Harlan, and Heinie Conklin. The acting by these actors are good especially by Jamison and Semels. There are many funny scenes here that I think most Three Stooges fans will love! In My opinion this one of the most different Three Stooges shorts. I strongly recommend this one!