IMDb > Pluto's Judgement Day (1935) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pluto's Judgement Day More at IMDbPro »

Pluto's Judgement Day

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
14 October 2009

While not the best Silly Symphony out there, this is still very good. Pluto is the star of the show, and he really shines here. There were times here when I felt really sorry for Pluto, who wouldn't when hell was portrayed in a very scary way. And those felines... I wouldn't want to mess with them.

The animation is terrific, in colourful and vibrant Technicolour and it hasn't aged a jot. The music, an element I always look out for is superb, and Walt Disney and Pinto Colvig provide the voices flawlessly. The story is well-told and simple, starting with Pluto chasing an adorable kitten, and then most of the silly symphony is spent with him in hell, being tried by cats, in the silly symphony's highlight.

All in all, not the best, but well worth the look. 9/10 Bethany Cox

A great, scary Disney classic

Author: Julia Arsenault (ja_kitty_71) from Canada
7 October 2009

This is another Pluto short I love. I know it is labled as a Mickey cartoon, but I still think of it as a Pluto cartoon. In this well-known short, after Pluto was scolded and reprimanded by Mickey for chasing a cute little kitten, he dreams that he stands on trial in a hellish court, before a jury...composed completely of cats! Of course when Mickey said to Pluto "You're going have plenty more to answer on your Judgement Day." I always thought of your 'Judgement Day' as in when you had died, your soul will be judged whether you go to Heaven or to Hell; and of course, I still question myself of the concept of Heaven and Hell.

Well anyway, this is a great Disney classic, and has been put into what Disney fans call the "Halloween Triple" with cartoons like Trick or Treat with Donald Duck, and Lonesome Ghosts with Mickey, Donald and Goofy. You can watch it either on Halloween or anytime of the year.

Another Disney Halloween Tradition

Author: Brett Walter (StreepFan126@cs.com) from Santa Clarita, CA
31 October 2002

This is one of what I like to call, the Disney Halloween Triple. Among them are "Lonesome Ghosts" "Trick or Treat" and this one. In this cartoon Pluto is chased by cats into hell where he is tried by cats, do to his many crimes against the feline species. Kind of creepy!

Pluto Goes To Hell

Author: Shawn Watson (gator_macready@yahoo.com) from The Underverse
16 June 2004

This cartoon sees Pluto dream of a cat-controlled hell. After chasing a cute little kitten about the house and throwing mud everywhere, Mickey tells Pluto off and gives him some kind of Puritan Christian warning of hell and damnation.

Once fallen asleep in front of the fire, Pluto's vision of cat-run hell and all the cats he's ever tormented coming back for vengeance quickly teaches him the error of his ways and he wakes up with a new-found love for felines.

Kind of cute if you can get around the not-so-subtle Christian values message.

Should be named "Pluto's Torture."

Author: dreamdeirdre from United States
9 July 2007

This cartoon is completely sickening. Pluto is pretty much hazed, tormented, and chained up inside a Cat Hell. I was very surprised that Disney would make a cartoon like this. I have no respect for the animators who drew such a disgusting cartoon. I can remember watching this one Halloween, and my father yelled, "Poor Pluto!" during the scene when he is suspended on pitchforks by all the cats. We had to change the channel, we couldn't watch it anymore. One cat in particular, the huge cat in the red robes who makes Pluto swear on a phone book (rather than a Bible) is just down-right horrifying. (Might I add that Pluto's paw gets snapped by a mousetrap when his hand hits the book, & he yelps out in pain.) Whoever actually enjoys such a terrorizing, disturbing cartoon is definitely sick in the head. I don't recommend viewing this at all.

Fun With A Frightened Pluto

Author: Ron Oliver (revilorest@juno.com) from Forest Ranch, CA
8 September 2002

A Walt Disney MICKEY MOUSE Cartoon.

After being unfriendly to one cat too many, PLUTO'S JUDGEMENT DAY finally arrives via a vivid nightmare.

This is a fun little film, with some good imagination used to depict the Afterworld Court - staffed entirely by felines. Walt supplies Mickey's voice, who makes little more than a cameo appearance.

Walt Disney (1901-1966) was always intrigued by drawings. As a lad in Marceline, Missouri, he sketched farm animals on scraps of paper; later, as an ambulance driver in France during the First World War, he drew figures on the sides of his vehicle. Back in Kansas City, along with artist Ub Iwerks, Walt developed a primitive animation studio that provided animated commercials and tiny cartoons for the local movie theaters. Always the innovator, his ALICE IN CARTOONLAND series broke ground in placing a live figure in a cartoon universe. Business reversals sent Disney & Iwerks to Hollywood in 1923, where Walt's older brother Roy became his lifelong business manager & counselor. When a mildly successful series with Oswald The Lucky Rabbit was snatched away by the distributor, the character of Mickey Mouse sprung into Walt's imagination, ensuring Disney's immortality. The happy arrival of sound technology made Mickey's screen debut, STEAMBOAT WILLIE (1928), a tremendous audience success with its use of synchronized music. The SILLY SYMPHONIES soon appeared, and Walt's growing crew of marvelously talented animators were quickly conquering new territory with full color, illusions of depth and radical advancements in personality development, an arena in which Walt's genius was unbeatable. Mickey's feisty, naughty behavior had captured millions of fans, but he was soon to be joined by other animated companions: temperamental Donald Duck, intellectually-challenged Goofy and energetic Pluto. All this was in preparation for Walt's grandest dream - feature length animated films. Against a blizzard of doomsayers, Walt persevered and over the next decades delighted children of all ages with the adventures of Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi, Peter Pan and Mr. Toad. Walt never forgot that his fortunes were all started by a mouse, or that simplicity of message and lots of hard work always pay off.

Terrible!

Author: deirdre_staunton from United States
9 September 2005

Whoever came up with the idea for this sick, twisted animated feature should be shot. I have no respect for any of the animators that were behind this disgusting tale of Pluto getting tortured by tons of cats. It disturbed me and my family so much we had to change the channel before it was over. All copies of this cartoon should be burnt and banned. If Disney wanted to send a message to little kids about respecting others, this certainly wasn't the way to do it. After Pluto chases a kitten & Mickey scolds him for it, Pluto has a nightmare about being trapped in a Cat Hell. He is put on trial for being mean to cats and is found guilty. When he is in court and "swears to tell the whole truth" on a Telephone book, his paw is snapped by a mousetrap and he yelps in pain. Whoever actually enjoyed this messed up fable needs some professional help.