IMDb > Judge for a Day (1935) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Judge for a Day More at IMDbPro »

"Judge Betty" Doles Out Justice

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
27 February 2007

Wow, Betty is having a bad day. It starts off well, with our girl singing her usual uplifting song en route to the bus stop on her way to work. However, some idiot keeps saying hello and slapping her too hard on the back. Then she gets on the bus and two busybodies have their noses in her newspaper. Then some slob blows cigar smoke in her face and then a fat lady almost sits on top of her. To cap things off, when she gets off the bus, the inconsiderate idiot in a car races by and splashes mud all over her.

Betty is still fuming at work. Apparently she works in a court room because while tiding up at the judge's desk, she dons the robe and fantasizes about taking care of these "pests." She has been muttering about "all these pests in town and I wish I was a judge and could do something about them."

Well, we then see her fantasy and what she'd like to see happen to these obnoxious, rude people. It's pretty wild, and so is the ending.

It's another solid Betty Boop cartoon, meaning fun to watch.

Enjoyable and a bit cruel!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
18 August 2013

In the mid-1930s, some of Betty Boop's cartoons were amazingly cruel. While most were happy little cartoons with singing and cute animals and anthropomorphic backgrounds, a few, like "Judge for a Day" and "Be Human" were rather vicious and focused on Betty dispensing her own form of justice on evil doers. In "Be Human", a vicious animal abuser (and I do mean vicious) is himself beaten and abused by Betty and Grampy! Here in "Judge for a Day", Betty seems in a very grouchy mood--made more so by annoying folks who are more thoughtless than evil. Later, Betty sneaks into the court, dresses up like a judge and sings a song about how much fun it would be to torment these people!! Talk about sadistic! It's made worse when the crowds hear her song and decide she WOULD make a perfect judge! While is is awfully cruel, I must admit I, too, would like to see a few of these folks get theirs and there is something satisfying about her puritanical rant about gum chewers and the like! Weird and funny--with the typically beautiful Fleischer Studio animation.

Judge for a Day is pretty entertaining for a post-Code Betty Boop

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
31 January 2009

Just discovered this post-Code Max Fleischer Betty Boop cartoon on YouTube. You can tell it's after the time the Production Code really went into effect since Betty is singing about being happy and not about sexuality. Also she's more conservatively dressed for work as a court stenographer and not as a nightclub entertainer with her garter on one of her legs. And the people that annoy her are not lechers but bus passengers of which two try to read her paper, one lady rudely takes her seat, and one man blows smoke in her face! So when she arrives early in an empty courthouse, Betty imagines what would happen if she were judge. The next scene takes place in a zoo where many of these annoying people get what's coming to them! That's all I'll say except there's actually something of a happy ending for Betty and the townspeople who cheer her on. So while this isn't the standard Betty Boop we all know and love, Judge for a Day does still provide some of her spark in this post-Code entry.