IMDb > Sons of the Desert (1933) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Sons of the Desert

Sons of the Desert More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Some say it's their best work,I say it's great but I've seen them better.

Author: SmileysWorld from United States
21 September 2007

It has been said and very often that Sons of the Desert is Laurel and Hardy's best film,and I won't dispute anyone who has this opinion,but speaking from a matter of personal taste,I have seen them funnier.When it comes to L & H,you have to go by what film gives you the most laughs,and while this film provides plenty of them,I have gotten way more laughs out of films like Way Out West and even the 30 minute short classic The Music Box.Anyway you slice it,the boys are in their prime and in top form here from Stan's crying and constant up and down eyebrow movements to Ollie "breaking he fourth wall".Nobody was better at this than Babe Hardy,and I don't think this can be disputed.In my opinion,it's not their absolute best,but certainly amongst their best.A classic comedy.

Author: tiss316uk from Manchester
9 March 2004

There may be spoilers in here so please be aware. This is a must see for anyone. The Boys are at their best and the gags just flow from the off, Stan and Ollie are superb as 2 blokes who decide on going away for a lads weekend. They have to make a story up though as Hardy's wife is not too keen on him going especially as she wantsto go away with him herself. Ollie concocts a plan that Stan has to accompany him to Honolulu for his nerves Rip roaring action all the way from the finest comedians ever, The wives get wind of the scheme and play along with it even when the boys come home and still try to make out they haven't been away for a mad weekend.

The Best That You'll Ever Get From Laurel And Hardy.

Author: Edward Goldenberg from United States
28 November 2014

Laurel And Hardy trick their wives into thinking that they are going to Honolulu so that they can secretly go to a convention, but a lot of problems ensue along the way.

If I didn't mention this already, I'll do it right now, in addition to being a big fan of Abbott and Costello, I am also a big fan of Laurel and Hardy. This was one of the first Laurel and Hardy films that I ever saw (basically, I first saw it when I was around 4 or 5 years old), and when I saw it, I honestly thought that I was going to die, I mean that I literally was on the floor laughing in hysterics. There are a huge amount of laughs to be seen in this movie. Out of all of the feature films that Laurel and Hardy made, I would have to say that this one is their best one. Out of all of the short films that they made, I would say that their best one was The Music Box. After all these years, I still find the movie to be as hysterical and laugh-filled as it was back when I first watched it. Seeing Laurel and Hardy getting into problems and causing even more while trying to get out of them is just a recipe for hilarity. This movie is the best that you'll ever get from a comedy duo like that of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

There are numerous scenes in the movie that are bound to have you laughing. There's a scene where Hardy pretends to be sick, and Stan calls a doctor, who's actually a veterinarian, and when Ollie asks him why he hired him, Stan says something like: "I didn't his religion had anything to do with." Then Stan and Ollie cause more complications when they do go to the convention, and their wives find out sure enough, and it all cumulates with Stan telling Ollie that "Honesty is the best politics." And in between all of this, there are more laughs to be seen, but I don't want to give away the whole movie, so if you want to see what's funny, then there is only one option, that option is to watch the movie, which is something that you should do, as it's hysterical.

Basically, if you are really into old time comedy, as well as a fan of Laurel and Hardy, then this is definitely a must see, as most comedies of this time don't get much funnier than this one. I have seen numerous Laurel and Hardy comedies, and out of all of them, I would have to say that this one is probably their best, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy many of their other works, but this one in my opinion, is their best work. Laurel and Hardy certainly know how to make people laugh, and this movie is proof of that. The bottom line is that if you haven't seen this yet, then you should see it, as you will definitely get some laughs out of it, and big laughs at that.

a laugh fest that will make anyone wanna see it again

Author: shiftyitaliano2001 ( from Melbourne, australia
9 May 2002

of all the laural and hardy movies i've seen, this one takes the cake, a laugh fest from start to end, the story line was excellent, as was the casting, top viewing for anyone who loves 1930's comedy. I could see it over and over again... Stan and Oliver's memory will always be preserved in this film.

Sons of trouble

Author: Petri Pelkonen ( from Finland
15 March 2000

In Sons of the Desert Laurel and Hardy trick their wives. They make their wives believe that they are going to a medical cruise to Hawaii but they are actually going to a convention in Chicago.When the wives find out the truth, it means trouble. Sons of the Desert has some many funny moments.Laurel's and Hardy's comedy is great.The younger generation should watch more these old time's comedies.I belong to the younger generation and I love these movies.Laurel's and Hardy's comedy will never die.

Movie Odyssey Review #097: Sons of the Desert

Author: Cyke from Denver, Colorado
25 May 2008

097: Sons of the Desert (1933) - released 12/29/1933, viewed 6/28/07.

DOUG: We've kept up on some of the Laurel & Hardy shorts, both silent and sound, leading up to this, 'Sons of the Desert,' their first full-length feature. Can't remember who's who? It's easy: Ollie is the one with the head shaped like an "O." Ollie is basically the dumb guy who thinks he's smart, while Stan is the dumber guy who doesn't know the difference but is a lot nicer for it. Their routine was quite different from the Marx Brothers, who relied on both physical comedy and verbal sparring; this duo sticks mostly with the physical stuff (going back to their silent roots), although there are a few choice bits of dialogue. Also, while the Marx boys took situations and MADE them crazy, these two try to be normal, and crazy things end up happening TO them (not to mention the situations they cause with their own idiocy). Just one thing bugged me: we never really learn anything about the secret society that Stan and Ollie are a part of. What is their purpose? What is the meeting for? How do Stan & Ollie's silly antics in the movie affect them, if at all? They never really play a big role in the story other than setting up our guys for the comedy situations. All the same, very good laughs, definitely recommended for fans of classic comedy.

KEVIN: The first feature-length Laurel & Hardy adventure on the list is sheer delight. The pair is a few years behind the Marx Brothers when it comes to features, but Stan and Oliver manage to make a much more impressive debut. The comedic beats are some of the best from the pair, and even though I felt that they were drawing it out sometimes, I still laughed. The story is slightly above average, centering around the pair trying to weasel out of their marital obligations in order to attend an annual fraternity convention. The crud hits the fan when the two idiots must explain why they weren't on a cruise to Honolulu that was hit by a typhoon (while they lied to their ladies and went to the convention). Stan's character, who struck me as somewhat inept and nonchalant in past shorts, here seems functionally retarded. To me, the real stars are the wives, played by Dorothy Christy and Mae Busch. What they do and say in putting up with their moronic hubbies (especially Busch) is inspired.

Last film: Queen Christina (1933). Next film: Design for Living (1933).

Sons of the Desert is one of Laurel & Hardy's funniest!

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
9 November 2014

It was in 1979-when I was a kid of about 11-that I first watched this movie (my second viewing of Stan & Ollie after Way Out West) at the East Baton Rouge Parish Library (which today has been paved but the new version is now on the other side of the street). I stumbled in the middle of that one just as a singer was going to sing "Honolulu Baby" by Marvin Hatley (who plays the piano during the number). It didn't matter as I figured out the plot by the dialogue between their wives-one of whom is Mae Busch who often played the shrew in the Laurel & Hardy films. I eventually watched the whole thing when I bought the VHS tape from Video Treasures in 1992 and boy, did I find the whole thing hilarious from beginning to end which, having just watched for the fourth time, continues to this day! All the slapstick scenes are just sublime especially when Ollie does his hand gestures. And Charley Chase just adds to the funniness by playing an obnoxious fellow conventioneer! I think I've said enough to on that note, I very much recommend Sons of the Desert if you haven't yet! P.S. On that VHS tape, Stan's daughter, Lois, shows some photos of her father as a young man, as part of Fred Karno's troop with Charlie Chaplin, and some home movies of Stan with his father and aunt.

Digitally re-mastered on dvd

Author: c-powell from Chicago
8 September 2003

This film is newly available on a dvd called "Laurel and Hardy." The disc also includes "The Music Box" and three other shorts. The picture and sound quality are excellent. There's very little in the special features section of the dvd, but what's there is worth watching.

From a longtime L&H fan!

Author: The Baron ( from Whittemore, Michigan
26 December 1999

I love the boys and their films.In the mid-1980s,there was the syndicated Laurel & Hardy show that,of all things,feature new versions of the breezy background music. In fact I have two copies of this film on both VHS and Beta (Remember THAT video system?)In fact,I still have the old Beta VCR.The Beta tape has the film which was part of a weekend afternoon movie TV show with a host who gives a brief lecture on the making of Stan and Ollie's films and info on the various cast members.

Sons of the Desert

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
18 June 2009

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy are the most famous comedy duo in history, and deservedly so, so I am happy to see any of their films. Stan and Ollie attend a meeting for their fraternity (brotherhood) group, the Sons of the Desert, all members take an oath to be present at the 87th convention in Chicago. Ollie suggests Stan tells his wife, while he has no plans to tell his wife anything, and they have quite a fuss getting through the front door as neighbours. After eating some wax fruit, Stan mentions the convention in front of Mrs. Lottie Hardy (Mae Busch), and she says Ollie he's going to the mountains with her, and Stan's wife Mrs. Betty Laurel (Dorothy Christy) overhears him telling Ollie saying what he'd do if his wife was as demanding. The next day, Ollie is pretending to be ill, with a hot foot bath, and Stan has got Dr. Horace Meddick (Lucien Littlefield), a veterinarian, to give him advice to go to Honolulu, which his wife goes with. The boys are then at the Chicago convention parading with the Sons of the Desert, and then we see them partying in Hawaii, with some singers and hula dancers, and a drunk Charley Chase making silly prank jokes, he even calls his sister who he hasn't seen for ages, she's Ollie's wife! Later, Lottie and Betty see in the newspaper that the ship to Honolulu was caught in a typhoon, sinking, and they go to the place where survivors and deceased should be. Of course, when Stan and Ollie get home to see the paper too, and when they see their wives have come back they go into the attic to set up a bed. Next you see the wives in the cinema, and they see a movie about the Sons of the Desert, with the boys parading, and not long after getting back home, the boys try to escape on the roof and down the drain pipe, but caught by a policeman. Ollie tells their story of what happened to them, and he sticks to it, but Stan whimpers out the truth. While Stan gets chocolates and a drink for telling the truth, Ollie is battered by various pieces of crockery from the cupboard. This is among Laurel and Hardy's greatest films, with all the wonderful slapstick and classic comedy you could want from a black and white film, an excellent film. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy were number 7 on The Comedians' Comedian, "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!" was number 60 on 100 Years, 100 Quotes, and the film was number 96 on 100 Years, 100 Laughs. Outstanding!

Page 5 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]