IMDb > The Cowboy Counsellor (1932) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Cowboy Counsellor More at IMDbPro »

Top Hoot Bottom Melford

Author: boblipton from New York City
30 November 2003

An excellent Hoot Gibson programmer in which he plays a confidence man posing as a lawyer selling phony law books. When a murder takes place, he is called in to defend the accused man. Al Bridge is also excellent as the sheriff looking for exculpatory evidence.

The direction is credited to George Melford, one of the best visual stylists of the silent era, but he shows little flair here. There is no camera movement, but he does have some fun with the cuts.

Wow...a cowboy B-movie that is different!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
4 September 2011

While I sometimes enjoy watching a series B-western (such as a film with Roy Rogers, Tim McCoy or the like), I must admit that most of them have one of only about three or four different plots. As a result, there is a definite sameness about them--and it makes watching multiple films like this a bit of a chore. Because of this, I was thrilled to see "The Cowboy Counselor"--where the plot is different and the hero isn't all that heroic.

The film begins with a robbery of the stage. The crook tosses incriminating evidence on a nearby homestead and the Sheriff and his posse therefore arrest the wrong man. However, when a huckster (Hoot Gibson) arrives in town posing as a lawyer, the jailed man hire him--though he seems to have little idea how to defend this man. So, he resorts to trickery and lying--in other words, he's all lawyer.

This is a very funny B-western--something you'd never expect. And, with a good unusual script, it makes for quite a film. I also liked Gibson in the film and loved that he did NOT play a very good good-guy! Well worth seeing and a welcome relief from the usual. My score of 8, though high, is in recognition of a B-film with much more to offer than usual.