IMDb > Pack Up Your Troubles (1932) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Pack Up Your Troubles

Pack Up Your Troubles More at IMDbPro »

A great mix of slapstick humor and a more serious of tone storyline.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
12 September 2006

Amazing how they did it. This movie features war sequences, the lost of a friend who leaves a young daughter behind. All some serious heavy dramatic stuff but yet the boys manages to make this movie a perfectly entertaining one with some good slapstick humor and comical situations.

The movie at times is a sappy one that goes definitely over-the-top but yet for most part the story and its drama works effective. Stan and Ollie taking care of the young daughter of Eddie and their quest for her grandparents is quite heartwarming. Especially since the boys in this movie have an amazingly good chemistry Jackie Lyn Dufton, who plays the young girl. Especially Stan Laurel has a good chemistry with her. Dufton refers to Stan and Ollie as her uncle's in this movie and that special feeling is brought amazingly effective and believable to the screen.

Yet the movie is also one of their most fun ones, despite the dramatic undertone. The slapstick humor is especially top-class and the boys manage once more to get themselves into some silly and hilarious situations.

The movie its supporting cast is also good. The movie features lots of different actors in a variety of roles. Of course this movie also has the regular Laurel & Hardy actors in it, such as James Finlayson, Charlie Hall and Paulette Goddard. But it's the supporting cast as a whole that delivers a good and impressive performance.

A delightful and well made comedy that also works effective with its more dramatic moments.

Laurel&Hardy and a little girl

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
23 March 2000

Stanley's and Oliver's army buddy Eddie Smith gets killed in a war, so the boys have to find the grandparents of Eddie's daughter.So they go from door to door looking for every Smiths there are in the town.It's not an easy job for the boys to do, because there are many Smiths but only two boys.And it doesn't make the job any easier that they get blamed for a bank robbery. Pack Up Your Troubles is a very funny comedy from Laurel and Hardy.It is one of the best Laurel and Hardy movies.The movie has many funny situations.Watch the movie and you just can't stop laughing.

"Smile Boys, That's The Style"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
4 August 2014

Despite being doughboys in General Pershing's army in France, the Allies still were able to win World War I with Laurel and Hardy in the ranks. But most of Pack Up Your Troubles is spent with the boys as veterans looking for the family of their late comrade Don Dillaway on behalf of his daughter little Jackie Lyn Dufton.

Best scene in the film is when Stan and Ollie are sent out on what their exasperated sergeant thinks and hopes will be a suicide mission. They're told to get a prisoner. Remember this is 1932 and the story of Sergeant York even without the movie being made was known to one and all. How do Stan and Ollie pull off a Sergeant York? Well it involves a prototype tank, the enemy trenches, and some barbed wire. You have to see it being done.

Laurel's scenes especially with the child have a nice ring of pathos to them. Most of the time he's simply an idiot, here he's a lovable idiot. Next best scene in the movie is the little girl reading Stan a bedtime story, Goldilocks and the 3 Bears and Laurel falling asleep.

Pack Up Your Troubles has an unusually good cast of recognizable character players in roles that we all identify them with. Of course James Finlayson is there as their commanding general. But also there's Charles Middleton as a welfare inspector, Billy Gilbert whose daughter blows up a marriage to Grady Sutton when the boys think he's Dillaway's father and Mary Gordon as a delightful old Irish mother babysitting the little girl for Stan and Ollie. Third best scene is the police closing in on them and them trying to escape in a dumb waiter.

Only their third sound feature length film and a winner for Laurel And Hardy.

Pack Up Your Troubles is quite a funny Laurel & Hardy movie with some sentiment thrown in concerning a little girl

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
26 October 2014

It was back in 1991 when I was shopping at Target in Jacksonville, FL, that I stumbled onto this VHS tape from Video Treasures. It was a Laurel & Hardy movie I hadn't heard of before and while I think I checked out Randy Skretvedt's book "Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies" from the library there beforehand, I don't remember reading about the review of this particular movie at the time though I'm sure I read about it after seeing this when I checked the book out again afterward. Anyway, when the little girl-Jacquie Lyn-was doing the story of "The Three Bears" with sleepy Stan's reactions in close-up, I remember a relative I was living with laughing heartily at that and while it was funny to me as well, I don't remember laughing as loudly. I just watched it again this morning and I found myself laughing not only at that but most of the rest of the picture as Stan & Ollie join the army during World War I, make friends with a guy named Eddie Smith, and then try to find Eddie's parents after he dies in battle with his daughter I mentioned in tow. Hilarious supporting turns from usual L & H players like James Finlayson and Billy Gilbert as well as Grady Sutton and George Marshall who co-directed with Ray McCarey. In Skretvedt's review, he mentions a sequence cut from all reissued prints because of its too-violent-for-comedy status: Temporary guardian Rychard Cramer abuses his wife and Jacquie, then when L & H find out-he sends his goons after them but the boys manage to subdue them with boiling water! He also said a print survives dubbed in French. I'm not in a real hurry to see that one. So on that note, I highly recommend Pack Up Your Troubles. P.S. On this videotape I mentioned earlier in the review, Stan's daughter Lois put some home movies before the feature showing her on her fourth birthday and fifth birthday parties, and then showed her playing with Jacquie either in a sandbox or riding in a toy plane (cute seeing them kiss a couple of times there), a gift from her Uncle Babe (Hardy). She mentioned she hadn't seen her in a while and was looking for her. Well, a year later, Leonard Maltin & Richard W. Bann updated their book, "The Little Rascals: The Life and Times of Our Gang" and revealed in the C section of the Appendixes called The Rest: Their Glories and Their Ruin that Jacquie Lyn was given-by her son-a copy of this videotape for Christmas, saw those movies of her and Lois, and contacted her through The Sons of the Desert organization where she found out they only lived a couple of miles away! After Ms. Lyn left pictures after making a couple of Our Gang shorts-Free Wheeling and Birthday Blues-her family remained in Los Angeles where she eventually married a banker. I'll explain why she left when reviewing Birthday Blues. Update-12/26/14: I've now seen the deleted sequence which was colorized on YouTube. It's not as violent as I was afraid since we don't see Cramer hitting Jacquie. Also, that boiling water is from some pots that Stan uses to pour on the bad guys which is quite funny!

My summary appears to be missing.

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.2020-movie-reviews.com
27 November 2009

I'm surprised this film came along so relatively early in Laurel & Hardy's career because, although it has a couple of stand-out moments, for the most part it falls below the usual high standard of their output with Hal Roach. In this one they find themselves enlisted in the army during WWI where by some fluke they manage to capture an entire German unit. Unfortunately, the friend they make in the army isn't so lucky and leaves an orphaned little girl at home that the boys decide to return to her grandparents.

Laurel & Hardy were still predominantly making shorts when this feature-length movie was made in 1932, and you get the impression that an awful lot of padding was involved to reach the hour mark. Now, the boys can make trying to walk through a doorway funny, but even they struggle to maintain a decent level of consistency throughout. The best scenes are those involving the little girl, even though she goes a little overboard on the cute factor. At one point, there's a neat role reversal as Stan struggles to keep his eyes open while she recites her own version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears – in fact, thinking about it, the entire film could be seen as a remodelling of typical fairy-tale plots.

As a meaningless aside, have you ever wondered who does the really dull jobs in the glamorous world of movies? In their quest for the grandparents of their young charge, Stan & Ollie phone every Smith in the phone book. To prove it, director Ray McCarey shows us a shot of four or five pages of the telephone directory with every entry crossed through, and I couldn't help wondering whether the poor dogsbody who did all that hand-numbing work even got a mention in the credits...

Another Good Laurel & Hardy Movie

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
20 July 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

Laurel & Hardy are drafted into World War I. In the army, they fumble the drill sergeant's orders and are put on sanitation detail. The cook tells them to take the garbage to the general. So they did. And got thrown in the brink. The cook got thrown in too because the boys had told on him. He vowed revenge. He said someday he'd have his knife, and when that day came, he better not let himself catch them in the same state. Stan and Ollie's pal, Eddie Smith, was going through a divorce and wife got their daughter. Well, a giant battle broke out at night, while Stan and Ollie slept. Eddie was sent out and had fallen.

Stan and Ollie were forced out next. They find a tank to hide in, but end up capturing the whole other side. Stan and Ollie wanted to do something nice for Eddie, so they would find Eddie's baby and take her to her grandparents, only Eddie had refused to give them their names. But how many Smiths could there

be in the world? About several pages worth in a directory. Well, the boys soon crash a wedding, and get punched by an irate boxer. The boys also had a lunch wagon business. Unfortunately, that's where a child welfare officer met them and threatened to take Eddie's baby to an orphanage. The boys must get out of the state. They try to take out a business loan at the bank but it doesn't work. The boys soon find out the bank president was the father of Eddie Smith. What they didn't count on was his cook was the same one they met in the army. And he had his knife. He chased the boys. Pretty good. As you've probably figured out, nobody from this movie is alive today. Not even little Jacqueline Taylor who played Eddie's baby. She died not too long ago. Just to let you know, this year marks this film's 70th anniversary! Happy 70th birthday, Pack Up Your Troubles! If you can find this movie, check it out!

Army Chaos With Mr. Laurel & Mr. Hardy

Author: Ron Oliver (revilorest@juno.com) from Forest Ranch, CA
19 March 2000

Former doughboys Stan & Ollie take responsibility for the tiny daughter of a dead Army buddy. First they must rescue her from the dreadful fellow claiming guardianship. Then the Boys must try to track down the little tyke's grandparents. Not an easy task, considering the chaos they're about to encounter.

This feature plays like two or three short subjects strung together. There's a great deal of slapstick, as is usual in a Laurel & Hardy film, and the results are enjoyable. Stan & Ollie almost pull off the impossible: to make World War One trench warfare seem funny.

James Finlayson plays the Boys' exasperated General. Billy Gilbert & Grady Sutton are two zanies at a fancy wedding the Boys disrupt. Richard Cramer makes a nasty villain. Film mavens will spot sweet old Mary Gordon as one of the child's baby-sitters.

Aimiable Laurel and Hardy Feature

Author: prichards12345 from United Kingdom
29 November 2015

This was the boys' second feature length movie after Pardon Us, and this time there is a more cohesive plot to hang the comedy scenes on. Stan and Ollie find themselves fighting in WWI after displaying their usual (and very funny) ineptness undergoing army training. On returning home they rescue the child of a friend who didn't make it back, and with little to go on, set about finding her grandfather.

Of course his surname is Smith!

This is a well balanced and well paced movie, with much to enjoy. L and H's rounding up of what looks like half the German front line (entirely unintentionally, I might add), Ollie's one-two pummelling by "Steamboat" Smith, Stan falling asleep when the little girl tells him a story, etc. Think I loved the wedding scene the best though, with the boys managing to get their wires crossed yet again. Billy Gilbert has a nice cameo scene here, as does Jimmy Fin as an army general whose home gets a bit whiffy thanks to Stan and Ollie!

Good fun: shows the team were beginning to work out how to make a feature length movie work for them after all those classic shorts.

One Of My Favorites, Deserves an A+

Author: verbusen from Fahaheel, Kuwait
26 April 2015

I have watched Laurel and Hardy since when I was a child (thankfully) back in the early 70's. But I had never watched Pack Up Your Troubles before until today in 2015. It's crazy, but it is what it is. L&H was shown mostly as shorts in syndication and a few of their feature films, but only the ones that were their most juvenile ones (even as far as the shorts go). So where do I start? I just laughed at this one from start to finish. Stan looks very stoned or as I'm sure the times dictated dim witted, but in modern times he looks drunk or wasted. That in itself is funny. Then I am watching this as a Vet personally and it's hilarious for the recruitment Shanghai'd to the boot camp to the actual war. along the way there is a really really heavy drama trip put on us by a woman that would abandon a cute 3 year old blond girl, very sad, if you are into the film it may make you cry a little like I did (and of course, I cried later).

Anyway, this is Laurel and Hardy in their still young days, connecting still as the common people, and not as total child buffoons. I like how Ollie stands up to the government to protect the child, and she is totally adorable, almost as much as Shirley Temple.

Watching this has so many scenes in it that are memorable it''s like watching a 2 1/2 hour film instead of just 1 hour, and it's all good. If you never watched this before you should watch it and avoid spoilers because as much as it may fall into line, you will be surprised by this one. 10 of 10. God bless Laurel and Hardy and 1930's America.

An average series entry still has the unmistakable touch of comic genius.

Author: Wilbur-10 from Isle of Man
28 December 2000

Early Laurel & Hardy feature isn't among their best, but still provides entertaining viewing.

Story begins with America entering the First World War, and L&H conscripted into the army after being spotted loafing on a park bench. Action moves to training camp, then onto the trenches in France before returning to America. Here Laurel & Hardy find themselves responsible for a dead army buddy's little girl, whom they must return to her rightful guardian.

Film isn't as polished as later entries, and certainly can't compete with the likes of 'Sons of the Desert'. Even so, the continual odd-couple bickering between the two ensures plenty of laughs. The scene where they go to the Bank to get a loan on the strength of their mobile food business is out of the top draw - if there is a better comedy duo in movie history I've yet to see them.