IMDb > The Lucky Number (1932) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Lucky Number More at IMDbPro »

Maddeningly frustrating...but you'll love it

Author: RitaRisque from Australia
18 April 2002

Percy, an ex-footballer, has his pocket picked, which is seen only by young Winnie (not Minnie) so when he goes to pay for his drink in a pub, finds he can't, and the bartender takes as insurance the one thing he does have of worth, a lottery ticket.

Naturally the ticket wins and for the next hour and a half, he and Winnie have to figure out how to raise the 5 and 6 from scratch to get the ticket back! She gets fired from her job when her boss catches her with her fingers in the till getting the money from there, but then Percy "accidentally" buys another man a drink in the pub with it anyway. They try busking but drop the money when the pickpocket is spotted - they chase after him and find he's put all of Percy's money on a winning greyhound, but he gets away before they can claim half. The movie will make you want to throw rocks at the TV out of sheer frustration, but in retrospect it's actually really good. The lead actors make a gorgeous couple, and their singing is very enjoyable. 9/10 - just don't lose your temper!

Nostalgic views of Highbury

Author: malcolmgsw from london
29 January 2005

For any supporters of Arsenal this film is a real treat.Not so much for the content of the film itself,but for the views of Highbury in 1932/3 and of the famous team of that era.These are contained in the opening and final 5 minutes of this film.In between is a fairly undistinguished comedy with one catchy musical number.We see the players coming out before the start of the match.Arsenal are playing in all red shirts,no this is not a colour film.The famous clock is on the South Terrace.The famous East and West Stands have not yet been constructed and there is no cover over the North Bank.We see some of the match.I have no idea who the opposition might be.They are playing in white shirts and black shorts.At half time we move into the dressing room.The first most recognizably figure is Tom Whittaker,who was then trainer.We then see Arsenal players,the most recognizably being Eddie Hapgood and Cliff Bastin.Then at the end of the film we see the main character being chaired off by Arsenal players.I think that i recognised Bob John.There are other players but i am not sure who they are.This was released as part of the "British Classics Collection".Some years ago.I managed to purchase a copy on ebay.Copies do come up for sale from time to time.So if you are a Gooner then you must buy it.It will be even more nostalgic next year when we move away from Highbury.