IMDb > Helpmates (1932) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Helpmates

Helpmates More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Hysterical! I Have Always Found This Funny!

Author: Humphrey Fish from United States
19 January 2011

This is one of the very first Laurel and Hardy shorts that I ever say in my whole entire life. And I remember that the first time I watched it, I was rolling on the floor laughing myself silly! This is hysterical, no matter how many times that I watch it, I have always found it funny, it still makes me laugh! This is probably one of the funniest Laurel and Hardy short films that I have ever seen in my life, and that is saying a lot, because I have seen a lot of Laurel and Hardy short films that I really thought were hysterical! Stan and Oillie are in top form for this short, well that is pretty obvious, because in all of the shorts and feature films that I have seen them in, they are always in top form!

Well all in all, this is one of the funniest Laurel and Hardy short films that I have ever seen in my life, and it is one of the funniest short films that I have ever seen, its copies should be preserved at all costs. Because this is indeed something very hysterical and unforgettable! I am so glad that I watched it, because it is so HYSTERICAL! I would say what happens in it, but you are just going to have to see it for yourself.

So in short, you should take the time to watch this short with Laurel and Hardy, because if you haven't seen this, you are probably going to be end up laughing out loud repeatedly! Well anyway, if you are trying to kill some time by looking for a good Laurel And Hardy short to watch, then you should probably watch this one, because from the very minute that you press the play button to the very minute that this short is over, you are not going to be able to quit laughing, no matter how hard you try!

Helpmates

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
24 January 2009

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy are the most famous comedy duo in history, and deservedly so, so I am happy to see any of their films. Ollie's house is a mess after a drunken party, and he gets a telegram saying his wife (Blanche Payson) will be home at noon, so he calls Stan (getting the phone mistaken for an alarm clock, and then swapping for a statue), who was bitten by a dog, went to hospital and was told by the doctor he might have "hydrophosphates" (hydrophobia), to help clean up. Stan washes the dirty dishes, which he drops, and Ollie manages to use butter as soap, opening the door gets covered in smoke from the breaking pipe, and flour from the near cupboard. After Ollie has changed his clothes, Stan is trying to unblock the sink to tip away the washing up water, but instead throws the water on, and then out the window, on Ollie (twice), and in anger he throws a plant through the house, hitting a neighbour with a hose pipe, which goes through the house (obviously the water going on Ollie). After causing an explosion with the oven gas (which Ollie was using to dry his wet clothes), Ollie changes into his admiral's uniform, and returns home from seeing the wife with a black eye, a house destroyed by Stan lighting gasoline in the fireplace, and getting rained on. Filled with good slapstick and all classic comedy you want from a black and white film, it is an enjoyable film. Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy were number 7 on The Comedians' Comedian. Worth watching!

Three of Their Best

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
10 March 2008

Helpmates (1932)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Mrs. Hardy is out of town so Hardy throws a big party. When the wife plans on returning home early Hardy must get Laurel to help him clean the house. Another wonderful short has non-stop laughs from start to finish. There really isn't one skit that sticks out but instead the laughs just build up.

Our Wife (1931)

*** 1/2 (out of 4)

Hardy and his fiancé have to run off to get married so they get Laurel for help, which of course leads to disaster. There are plenty of wonderful jokes and gags here including the small limousine and the best one when Hardy falls into a cake and brings a lot more with him.

Me and My Pal (1933)

*** (out of 4)

Hardy is about to be married but Laurel gives him a jigsaw puzzle for a wedding gift. The two start working on it and forget all about the wedding. This is more amusing than funny, although the final riot does get plenty of laughs.

Good routines with good finish

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 July 2003

When the cat's away the mice will play. This is true when Mrs Hardy goes out of town and Ollie has a huge party that sees his house a mess and his cash lost on poker games. When a telegram arrives telling Ollie that his wife is due back at noon that day, Ollie turns to Stanley for help tidying the house – that was his first mistake.

Similar in style to many of their other shorts, this film sees the duo's attempts to fix/tidy the house actually results in more damage than existed in the first place. The set up with Ollie addressing himself (but seems like it's the audience) is a little strange but once the film moves into the whole cleaning up business it does get a lot better. Ollie goes flying over a hoover on several occasions and his suit frequent changes grow increasingly amusing. It goes without saying that the degree of mishap that Laurel causes increases throughout the film and the punchline, although not hilarious, is a good conclusion.

In terms of cast Laurel and Hardy pretty much carry this themselves. Payson makes a brief appearance as Mrs Hardy but her role is to be plain and aggressive rather than funny. That said, the film doesn't really need anyone else as the pair do good work. Hardy bears the brunt of the physical work but also does good `to camera' looks. Laurel does his usual shtick but I always think he does a lot of work `off the ball' to use a football term. Because Hardy more often is the focus of the punchline (ie the look or the fall) I always tend to notice him and forget the involvement of Laurel in the set up or enabling the film to move on – that was the case here.

Overall this is an enjoyable short that sees the tried and tested formula of `chores go wrong' used to good effect.

Not The Classic it's Made Out To be

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
21 September 2005

'm slightly puzzled by the high regard HELPMATES is held in . Some people have described it as Stan and Ollie's masterpiece while just about everyone class it as being well above average . BBc 2 showed it immediately after THE CHIMP which had me laughing out loud but this one merely amused me . I guess like so much in life a Laurel and Hardy film is subject to personal opinion

The film starts with Ollie waking up with a hangover finding his house in a mess after a wild party something his wife will literally kill him for so he phones up Stan asking him to come on over and help clear up the mess . It's at this point logic disappears out of the window . If you needed a hand to do something would Stan Laurel be the first name to come to mind ? Likewise there's little evidence Stan attended the party , if a mate asked you to help clear up a mess the day after a party that you weren't invited you what would your response be ? Exactly . The humour then centres around pratfalls and Stan getting bullied by Ollie which comes across as rather unpleasant , of course Ollie might regret his authoritarianism by the end which he does but with the exception of Stan saluting Ollie's change of clothes there wasn't much here that made me laugh

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]