IMDb > Study No. 7 (1931) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Study No. 7 More at IMDbPro »Studie Nr. 7 (original title)

Life-like Movement using Lifeless Forms

Author: kamerad from Montreal, Canada
18 March 2002

"Study #7", is a remarkable work that is a breath of fresh air after seeing so many mediorcre animation films. Since I don't really want to discuss them here, I won't go in too deep, but I feel that "Symphonie diagonale" (Viking Eggeling, 1921) and "Rythmus 21" (Hans Richter, 1921) are worth mentioning to emphasize why I appreciated Fischinger's film. Both earlier films are interesting, but boring nonetheless. While I appreciate any attempt by an artist to express his ideas in any way he pleases, I have to say that it does not always work. Eggeling's film does not work for me because first, he does not use all the screen space, therefore leaving us with to many empty spaces to distract us, and secondly, repeats the same series of images ad infinitum, which quickly becomes tedious. Richter's film is slightly better for he uses the entire screen space. However, I found use of only squares and rectangles much to mechanical and cold.

"Study #7", by contrast to the first films, is an exiting, involving piece. Fischinger of course believed that art should be a pleasure, and this film is certainly a pleasure to watch. It's amazing to see these etchings move in time to the music. In class, someone mentioned that maybe Symphonie diagonale would have worked better with music. In "Study #7's" case however, even though the Brahms music works beautifully, the film would have worked silent as well. The way the images scurry and leap across the screen create a visual music., much in the way Eggeling tried, but in my mind, failed to do with his film.

There is one specific moment from the film that really moved me. It could be hard to specify the moment, but I'll try the best I can. When I first Saw "Study #7" in my History of Film Animation class at Montreal's Concordia University, we saw some slides with still images from the film before watching the film itself. I thought to myself as I looked at those pictures, how much they looked like sketches of dancers or figure skaters in the midst of movement. When we watched the film and it came to the point where we saw those images animated, it looked even more life like. However, where human dancers are restricted by the confines of their bodies, these drawings break apart and form new shapes in ways only animated etchings can.

Great music, but that's it

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
22 June 2015

"Study no°7" is a 3-minute animated short film by German director Oskar Fischinger from 85 years ago. He was around 30 at that point. So to put it in perspective in terms of time, this was even made before Nazis came into power in Germany. It is in black-and-white and we watch a couple animated squares dance to the tune of Brahms' music. It's not entirely bad, but all in all it is very forgettable, especially taking into consideration how animation looked like in other parts of the world in the early 1930s already. The music is beautiful, but you can also listen to a record to get that experience. Mediocre effort by one of Germany's most famous short film directors of all time. Not recommended.