IMDb > Dracula (1931) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dracula

Dracula More at IMDbPro »

Page 18 of 46: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

The Classic Dracula

Author: Natybug97 from United States
7 March 2014

I have always heard great things about the classic horror of universal studios. I have not been thoroughly impressed. This was my second film in that genre and it was not all that it was cracked up to be. Not only was it not all that frightening, and that's probably because my generation has been so desensitize, but I felt that there was much lacking from the film. The character development was so shallow and disappointing because you didn't know anything but the most basic facts about them! I could have read a one page report about the movie and not have missed a thing.

The story was lacking so much as well, it all seemed to be implied due to Dracula's powers. Also much of what was happening was explained in short bursts by Professor Van Helsing (who came out of nowhere with his theory and explanations) and made the other men seem incompetent. Dracula also acknowledges Van Helsing as his "enemy" but nothing more develops from that, the dynamic between the hero and villain is not explored any further and it leaves something to be desired.

Despite all that the film was lacking it did have some good cinema qualities that help put it in that classic status. The acting was well done and Lugosi did an excellent job as Count Dracula. He was able to carry himself with grace and also make you think twice about being alone in a room with him. Frye, who played Renfield, was also a well played character. The perpetually crazed look in his eyes was so impressive that it kept you waiting for that moment when he would finally turn his master over. The lighting was also very well done, especially when focusing on the vampiric eyes that held you captive until they used you or disposed of you. The sets were also very impressive. The castle in Transylvania and even below the abbey where Dracula sleeps. They are so elaborate, made to look abandoned and creepy, until you get to the living spaces, and even then, there is an air of grace. I did find it interesting that Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake was used in the opening credits.

great

Author: csharrow1994 from United States
18 February 2014

This classic horror film was brilliant. This film made Bela Lugosi's career. He plays a sinister and completely creepy count. He truly takes on this role, along with all the other actors in this film. While watching, I felt as if I were watching a glimpse of someone's life, because they all seemed to take on their role and really become their character. The cinematography definitely adds to the film. The lighting, sounds, and camera angles throughout give off a creepy, haunting ambiance. Although it isn't like today's horror films, for the time it was made, it showed things like never before in a horrifying manner. If you're into the history and evolution of horror films, then it is a necessity to see this as it is one of the building blocks for the horror industry.

Dracula: I Bid You Welcome

Author: Our_Feature_Presentation from United States
18 January 2014

Dracula starts off in Transylvania, you're immediately set into the tone of the movie. The tone is made because of the fog, sets and scenery it puts the viewer into a strange mood that really fits this movie. Dracula himself is introduced in a pitch perfect way, and Dracula himself is brought to life by horror icon, Bela Lugosi. Lugosi gives one of the best and most memorable performances ever put into a movie, he's sinister, threatening, his stare (which is focused on many time) and the way he says his lines in that Hungarian accent all of it makes Lugosi not portray Dracula but he IS Dracula. The movie doesn't have a soundtrack at all if there's no talking there is no noise, but that's good it again heightens the mood of everything. For a movie that's 80 years + it is surprisingly.... frighting. Not in the sense of pure fear but more in the way that the whole time your kept in total suspense, the entire movie just felt like a long scene with endless suspense, this is due to the lack of music, scenery and Bela Lugosi's performance, I love the feeling of it. Now something I must say, some people may find it boring and slow, I can see how some people would find it boring but it wasn't to me. To close off this review Im going to give it a 9.2 out of 10. This is the perfect movie to watch during the Halloween season.

Count Dracula

Author: RoseXGold from United States
11 May 2013

This film, I do have to say I loved. I am a fan of horror movies and to finally see and understand the dictionary movie to all other scary movies I love is amazing. The version without the score probably is the better version. I only saw the version without the score however. The silence definitely empowered the power that was set in the scenes. It also helped empower and emphasize the power and control one man can have over an individual, his town, and his world. Although some characters were just plain weird, it didn't take away from the fact that this movie is a masterpiece and a set bar as to what a scary should look, feel, sound, and anything else it could give off to the audience.

Hard to not take it for granted

Author: brian myers from United States
10 May 2013

With the way the industry has evolved it's hard to not notice the faults in these old movies, but that's what gives Dracula its eeriness. the environment puts you in a mood and Bela Lugosi is brilliant as Count Dracula.

A somewhat predictable plot, and some clear amateur stuff that was common for the time hinder this film, but it must be watched with a different frame of reference to fully enjoy it. The movie was honestly more entertaining than I thought it would be, but it just made me want to watch The Monster Squad (1987). Dracula is a trend setting movie like Frankenstein and is a classic, and well made for its time.

Classic

Author: zthaleb
10 May 2013

This classic horror movie kept me interested through out the whole movie. The acting especially from Bela Lugosi, who played Count Dracula, was amazing. The other actors in the movie like Helen Chandler and David Manners were also really good, but Bela Lugosi really stood out. He really got into his character and actually made him feel realistic. Something that really stood out to me in this movie was the amazing set. The set towered over the actors giving it a real castle feel. The detail of it was so breathtaking and the whole thing was extravagant. The story is a classic, I had never seen it before but I had heard all the stereotypical "Dracula" voices. I am glad that I finally got to see the original.

I Bid You Welcome

Author: Victoria Colarusso (v-colarusso@hvcc.edu) from United States
6 April 2013

I have seen many portrayals of the tale of Dracula, and this one, despite being made close to a century ago, definitely creeped me out the most. The slow-moving, ominous vibe this film puts out from the very beginning to the very end permeates whatever rationale against the story you may have. The story of Dracula is obviously a monster story. These are sometimes the hardest stories to make to cause the audience to feel the targeted emotion: fear. A truly successful horror film pries open the imagination of its audience and engulfs them in the terror of this alternate reality. Dracula does an excellent job doing this for its audience. Most of the credit of this film is due to Bela Lugosi. His depiction was perfect and, despite the numerous other versions of this story, remains the icon for the character Dracula.

A real piece of horror history

Author: Delayreview from Norway
5 April 2013

Dracula (1931) is 1 of my favorite horror movie. If it wasn't for this movie Dracula wouldn't be like today. So it deserves a 8. Because its a classic. It isn't actually nothing more to say about this movie. I recommend this movie for hardcore horror movie fans (like me). But if you are not familiar with Dracula. And not so fan of horror movies i wouldn't see it. Thank you for reading this review if you liked it let me know. And 1 last thing. For me Dracula is 1 of my all time favorite horror characters he is of course not a inspirational character that would just be weird.

Delayreview

Great Horror Movie!!

Author: oliviadoerrer17 from United States
15 March 2013

The mood of this film was definitely set in the beginning scenes, the ominous atmosphere made it spooky and at bit frightening to watch. Dracula's character looked and acted the part well, his tone of voice added to the scary aspect of the film. I would consider this another great horror monster movie by Universal in 193. Camera use was used great during this film, use of flowing movement up and down staircases. Another neat aspect was the transition of Dracula to bat always happened off camera. A ground breaking significance of the over all theme of the film was the fact that a powerful mind controlling vampire could be defeated by a human in the end. Considering this film was made in 1931, the pre-code area it did not have restrictions, so the use of female sexuality was another theme brought into the film. Overall great story and great acting that made the unbelievable, believable though the actions, connections and voices of the characters.

Ups and downs

Author: ProfessionalPotato from United States
14 March 2013

Dracula is definitely one of the very few classic horror movies I've been able to see in my lifetime and I feel like it's just stuck in the middle of good and bad. Sometimes the story threw me off, and there were some moments when I couldn't take the acting seriously, or something would always looked off, but the scenery, the settings, the sounds, the eerie feeling, all of the artistic qualities just made me really happy. I wasn't really happy with the story and how it was put together, but I just really appreciated the moments that really kind of made you uncomfortable, in a slightly horrifying way, which was what I had hoped for going into this film.