IMDb > Dracula (1931) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dracula

Dracula More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 44: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Set the standard for all that followed

Author: John austin
8 March 2017

Todd Browning's Dracula is one of the best horror movies ever made and one of the most golden of Universal's great Golden Age. This movie is dripping with Gothic atmosphere.

Bela Lugosi set the standard for movie menace in an era when even the villains had class. Helen Chandler was mesmerizing in what would turn out to be her career role. Dwight Frye was so perfectly demented as the bug eater, Renfield, that people are copying his performance to this day. The version of this movie that I first saw had Swan Lake as the title theme, and it became one of my favorite musical pieces for the rest of my life.

If you've never seen the real Dracula, see it now.

On the fence

Author: seeleyal
26 February 2017

I would first like to say that I believe the movie was well crafted and portrayed Dracula as the creepy, sinister character that he was. Most note-worthy is the look on his face when he is communicating through telepathy, it just gives me the heebie jeebies!!! However, I found it a little lack luster and it was difficult to keep my eyes open. I believe this is largely due to the lack of a soundtrack, it was almost purely driven by dialogue. Not to mention, the ending left me disappointed and upset that there was not a large build up in suspense. It sort of just rose about as high as a Little Tykes plastic slide and, well, fell. Don't be mistaken, I still appreciate the movie for what it is and I recognize why it was so popular following it's release considering how it was one of the better well-made horror movies of the time. Unfortunately, though, I must leave it with: 6/10, appreciated but would not watch again.

Horror classic

Author: Jessie Blaze
15 February 2017

As a massive fan of horror films myself, I was intrigued to watch this as it was practically the inception of monster horror films. It is without a doubt that this film is very well made. The sets themselves are incredibly advanced for its time. Lugosi plays the role very well as the villain vamp. The acting is comical at times, and the times haven't been kind to the film in terms of effects. There's no blood/biting/death on screen. The film seemed rather low-budget. It gets a little slow around the middle of the film. The above needs to be taken with a grain of salt considering the date it was made. All that being said, every true fan of the horror genre should watch this movie.

Intense Horror Film

Author: jrich-37411
12 February 2017

This movie is definitely a classic. Dracula travels to London with Reinfield who has been drugged by Dracula himself. Reinfield believes that Dracula is his master and is accused of being crazy and is locked up. Dracula follows a women named Mina around while some individuals question who he really is.

This was a great story line. I appreciated the way the camera was used in certain scenes and how they used the staircase to add to the intensity of scenes. The only issue I had was with the animation that was used (with the bats). This made certain parts seem a lot less realistic. Overall the movie was great and I would recommend seeing it.

I wish they would do the death different

Author: s_ano
7 February 2017

This has to be one of my favorite horror films out of this time era. The whole thing was great. I got to watch one of the original versions with no music, and it was one of the most anxiety inducing things I've ever watched. Dracula and Renfield both gave me chills. The acting was great and the story line was obviously amazing. Van Helsing was the typical good guy and I couldn't help but root for him when things got crazy. The only thing I would change would be Dracula's death. I wish they would have made this part of the movie more of a climatic point. I think they could've done a lot more. But overall that was the only thing I didn't like. I think this is better than any horror/thriller movie that has come out in the past few years. I would definitely watch this again.

Alright

Author: s-gonyea
3 February 2017

I thought that this horror film was okay for the time it was made in, but not even close to what todays standards are. The way Dracula talked wasn't the best , which explains why he spoke really slowly.

I didn't really like how Dracula was in the camera way more than anyone else in the movie. I just didn't think the Dracula was all that scary. in todays films, I jump up and my heart races, but for a movie that is supposed to be a horror film, it just doesn't do it for me.

The movie shows in black and white which could be better in color, but for the time it was okay. Inside the castle where the spider webs were was creepy, but from that point I could barely see the rest of the castle because of the dark shadows glaring. overall the film was alright, but nothing really jumped out at me. I would give this movie a 6/10.

"I bid you Welcome" to the masterful world of vampires

Author: inemjaso from New York
2 February 2017

Like Universal's other 1931 'monster' film Frankenstein, Browning's Dracula uses impressive cinematography to create the early horror aesthetic. In the movie's opening, we see a still shot of smoke rolling ominously over the mountains in Transylvania as Renfield's coach approaches Count Dracula's residence. Soon after, we get a zoom shot into the hibernation catacombs where Dracula and his 'wives' sleep during the day; the camera eventually zooms into Dracula's casket where we see his hand emerge from inside. Another excellent use of cinematography in the opening half hour was when Renfield faints at the open window. A still shot from behind Renfield shows the three wives approaching Renfield until a smoke is seen building outside near the open window, from which Dracula emerges and sends away his wives. Dracula's character is carefully crafted so the viewer is aware of what attracts and repels him. He has an obvious affinity for blood and is capable of manipulating human minds to perform tasks for him (usually followed by a zoom shot of his evil smile). However, the brilliant adversary Dr. Van Helsing knows that wolf's bane, sunlight, mirrors and most powerfully- the crucifix- stop Dracula's advances. A brilliant recurring use of foreshadowing was the presence of the large bat in every scene before Dracula entered. Like Frankenstein, this film has an abrupt ending, but it provides closure nonetheless.

"Listen to them, children of the night. What music they make."

Author: Gavin Henderson
25 January 2017

Whereas vampire movies are concerned, in recent years they've been mistreated severely. They've went from murderous princes of the night to ... sparkly pretty boys. But whenever I need reminding of their greatness the first film I watch is the 1931 horror hit, Dracula. The film stars the legendary Bela Lugosi in the title role and he truly makes the role his own in this movie. Even now whenever anybody thinks of Count Dracula, I can bet that the first face they think of is Bela Lugosi's pale ghostly complexion. The tones of the film are so fantastically Gothic too, and even to this day It's still creepy and the black and white filming just makes It all the more bleak and dark. As well as that, the script for the movie is so well written It could have came from the pen of Bram Stoker himself. Another thing that makes Dracula so creepy is that of the character Renfield, even though he doesn't really have that big of a role in the film and he only really becomes creepy once Dracula turns him into his willful slave. But like I say despite all that, the definite highlight of the film is that of Bela Lugosi's performance as the iconic vampire. Never in horror before this movie had an actor made such a terrifying role such a success and to be honest It doesn't even happen that often now. With Lugosi's performance, bleak cinematic toning and a greatly adapted story from Bram Stoker's classic, Dracula stands out as one of the best Universal Monster movies and as one of my favorite horror movies too.

75th Anniversary edition ... a historical treat

Author: topeka from United States
17 January 2017

Dracula (1931) starring Bela Lugosi - born Béla Ferenc Dezső Blaskó - is a classic. This review is of the 75th Anniversary Edition with 2 discs.

To fully enjoy the film, one must turn back the clock, and understand the artists labored under incredible pressure not to produce the work we see on the screen.

Much is made of unfair, official censorship, but Dracula faced enormous pressure from the filmmaking industry's prejudices too. They were not interested in supernatural horror, and its prejudiced view of its audience - they thought the audience would not accept the supernatural elements despite the critical dependence on our cultural heritage. Sound familiar?

The film was a first in so many categories, it's hard to hit them all. And the film was an escapist fairy-tale of good and evil dropped into a world where good and evil were literally fighting on the streets. The Great Depression was in full swing, and though WW2 was ten years away for Americans, many nations were already gearing up for the war.

The 75th Anniversary edition (75th) offers a digitally remastered version of Browning's 1931 classic. This means fans like me - I've seen the movie a dozen times - get a chance to see the film largely restored. (To quibble: The gray scale saturation restoration could be better, but hey - I'm not complaining - just warning you that it is not as good as e.g. the Sherlock Holmes restoration done as the auspices of the UCLA film school. If you only know the film from poor quality re-runs, you will be very impressed.) But that's not all. The 75th has two excellent commentaries: One by film historian David Skal, and one by screenwriter Steve Haberman. (Haberman was co-author of Dead and Loving it) The first disc also offer a short documentary about the making of Dracula - featuring Carla Laemmle. Carla is the niece of Carl Laemelle, founder of Universal Studios. She delivers the opening lines in Dracula: She is the young girl riding in the carriage with Renfield. She is thrown into Renfield's lap.

The second disc has a cool documentary about early Universal horror films narrated by Kenneth Branagh. One guest in particular - Ray Bradbury - was especially welcome.

My daughter gave this set to me for Christmas, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. More - even she got into watching the documentaries about the movie.

Dracula

Author: KylePowell
14 December 2016

Overall, a great film of its time although feeling a bit clunky in some areas. For instance, when the bat flies up to the window, the camera cuts from bat to girl to Bela Lugosi, the viewer is left insinuating the bat to man transition. It happened so fast I almost missed it. The acting helped to boost its attractiveness very much. Lugosi's portrayal of a Transylvanian vampire stuck out so much that most media involving Dracula even to today try to replicate the speaking voice. The whole "insane man" persona that Dwight Frye portrayed was spectacular. In conclusion, I generally enjoyed most of the film albeit seeing some of it as clunky and mashed together.