IMDb > Pups Is Pups (1930) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pups Is Pups More at IMDbPro »

One of the most endearing Rascals films of all time

Author: jimtinder from US
12 February 2001

"Pups Is Pups" was the first "Our Gang" film for the 1930-31 season. This was the beginning of what is considered by many Rascals fans to be the best period in the series (roughly 1930-34).

The Gang wants to put their pets into the big pet show downtown. Wheezer wants to enter his puppies in the show, but the puppies have gotten lost. Knowing they respond to a bell, Wheezer rings every bell his can possibly find...bicycle bells, even a alarm bell (which he doesn't quite hit with a rock...he shatters a window instead). Can he find his puppies in time for the show?

If you saw "Pups Is Pups" on television growing up, you'll never forget it. The short is endearing, and the kids give natural performances. And the puppies are lovable. The one with the ring around its eye was to become the second Pete the Pup.

One of the best kids and animals movies ever. 10 out of 10.

Jingle, Jingle, Jingle!

Author: lynn paden from tulsa oklahoma
18 April 2002

This is a memorable short about poor Wheezer searching for his lost puppies. Just watching him trying to find his Pavlov-trained dogs using any bell available is a trip in nostalgia, from the ice cream man who pushed his wagon down the street, to the hand bell on the bicycle, not to mention the Lindy- influenced helmet on Jackie Cooper's head, and the page uniform worn by Farina. There's a second story, all about how the rest of the Rascals were trying to get into a ritzy pet show (and the mayhem that they cause) but all you can see is Wheezer. Near the end, with childlike faith, he tries one last desperate attempt, and Leroy Shield's great music sets the mood for this so wonderfully, as well as the jubilant ending. A short to watch for laughter, and perhaps a tear at the end. (Well, for me, anyway.)

Wheezer, I Love You

Author: Bucs1960 from West Virginia
10 July 2002

What a great short this is from the early talking Our Gang series. It is so endearing that it will bring a tear to your eye. The centerpiece of the film is Wheezer and his puppies. It is obvious that his exuberance with the pups is natural and so delightful. He was such an absolutely darling child and a good little actor to boot. His "jingle, jingle, jingle" will steal your heart. If you love this one, see "Dogs is Dogs", also with Wheezer. It will make you cry.

Going To A Pet Show With The Little Rascals

Author: Ron Oliver (revilorest@juno.com) from Forest Ranch, CA
22 April 2000

An OUR GANG Comedy Short

Farina alerts Chubby, Jackie & the rest of the Gang about a fancy pet show taking place downtown, prompting the kids into entering their pig, goat, mice & toads. Meanwhile, little Wheezer is discovering that PUPS IS PUPS as he tries to keep his five rambunctious puppies from running all over town.

A funny little film, with lots of interaction between the Rascals & their animals. Recurring highlight: Dorothy & the mud puddle. That's Charlie Hall as the violin player.

If I Had To Choose My All-Time Favorite Our Gang Comedy...

Author: Corr28 from United States
11 April 2009

...this might be my selection. I've always said that for me, it's impossible to pick a favorite short from the series but this is as close as I can come to a definitive choice. My memories from seeing this on TV during my childhood are so vivid that I can pretty much remember the day of the week it was, the weather conditions outside, etc. That's how impactful and memorable this short is. No wonder that in 2004 it was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

First off, this is the first Our Gang short to fully utilize the wonderful background music by LeRoy Shield that the series would become famous for. Let's face it, many people remember the music almost as much as the shorts themselves. Of particular note is the heavy use of the rousing theme "Hide And Go Seek" heard most often when the scenes included the pups and/or the pups and Weezer. This short also marked the debut of Dorothy DeBorba. There are pretty much four stories in one here. Weezer and his relationship with the pups. The gang entering their rag tag pets in a contest. DeBorba constantly jumping into puddles to the dismay of brother Jackie Cooper. The patient forced to leave his head/neck in a "looking up" position. All four of these stories are molded effortlessly into a fun, charming, endearing and briskly paced two-reeler. The kids are real, they are charming and they are funny. Weezer is a delight as his relationship with his puppies is genuine and heartwarming.

The aforementioned music score is most welcome and carries the action beautifully and seamlessly. Another wonderful aspect of this short are the sets. They are beautiful, particularly where the kids are happily at play. They are in some kind of backyard lot surrounded by their house which are themselves surrounded by imposing but breathtaking steel industrial buildings. Simply wonderful to look at.

This is a magnificent entry into the series. Maybe it's best and certainly, it's most important.

Pups Is Pups is another enjoyable Our Gang short

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, LA
17 October 2014

This Hal Roach comedy short, Pups Is Pups, is the one hundredth in the "Our Gang/Little Rascals" series and the twelfth talkie. In this one, Farina gets a job as a page in an animal show and he encourages the rest of the gang to enter their pets in. Wheezer himself has five puppies and plays hide-and-seek with them often using a bell to get them to come. I'll stop there and just say this was another funny ep of Hal Roach's Rascals involving some clever sound effects as well as a wonderful music score. Incidentally, this was the first short in the series to involve the music of one LeRoy Shield. His score would be in most of these Hal Roach entries providing such a pleasing background to the goings-on. This was also the first appearance of Dorothy DeBorba as part of the gang. So on that note, Pups Is Pups was quite an entertaining Our Gang short. P.S. I saw this on disc 2 of the Little Rascals Collection. It has a nice intro by a children's TV host named Tom Hatten who showed these shorts when he was on the air during the '50s and early '60s.

Good

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
23 December 2008

Pups is Pups (1930)

*** (out of 4)

Our Gang short has Farina telling the others about a pet show taking place in town so the kid's get all their animals together so that they can win some money. What they don't realize is that this is a pet show for fancy ones and not their pets, which includes mice, frogs and wild puppies. I'd be lying if I said this short had me laughing from start to finish because it didn't. What the short did do is work well with its nice screenplay, which makes for some cute moments. The highlight of the film would have to be Wheezer and his puppies, which he is constantly playing with at the start of the film. Just seeing Wheezer smile as big as the moon will put a smile on your face because it's obvious the young actor is having a great time with the dogs. Chubby also gets a few nice moments as do the rest of the animals who eventually terrorize the clean cut women at the show.

Madcap action with a litter of pups

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
19 March 2017

PUPS IS PUPS is a frequently hilarious Our Gang short in which animals rule the roost. Numerous types of animal are on display in amusing anecdotal footage here, but the thrust of the plot is on a kid called Wheezer who has been playing hide and seek with a litter of pups.

The dogs featured here are among the cutest you'll ever see on screen: full of energy and mischief, they light up the comedy quite considerably. The climactic scenes, in which they escape their surrounds and end up running through the streets while responding to any bell that sounds, are an example of Pavlovian theory in action, and absolutely riotous.

Our Gang (of Animals)

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
17 January 2017

"Pups Is Pups" is an American movie from 1930, so this one is already over 85 years old. If you read the names of McGowan and Walker here, then you may already guess correctly that this is another film featuring the kids from Our Gang / The Little Rascals, this time featuring Jackie Cooper among others. And it is not just another. These 19 minutes are among their most known actually. But this does not exactly say something positive as this one here is honestly much more about the animals than the children. This film is an example of how the depiction of pets/animals in films became more frequent back then as people loved to see them. But there are also negative sides to it, for example looking at what Chubby does with the little pig. So yeah, in general, cuteness is dominating here. There is no real story and it's also not a funny watch despite being credited as a comedy. It's maybe worth seeing from the perspective of people who are interested in the early use of animal photography, but everybody else can skip it for sure. Not recommended.

Oh My

Author: gavin6942 from United States
9 April 2016

The gang decides to enter their animals in a local pet show.

Due to perceived racism toward African-Americans, several scenes featuring Farina were edited out of the Little Rascals syndicated television prints in 1971. They remained in 16mm, VHS and DVD home video releases. The scenes were reinstated in 2001 in the prints shown on American Movie Classics until 2003.

The "perceived racism" is actually why I find the film interesting. Not that I like racism, but looking back now (2016), it is interesting to see the newspaper specifically ask for "colored" boys. The term is outdated, but more to the point: why only them? Could white boys not be pages? It is interesting to me how long the black community found work as servants, maids and so on... did the class divide ever really go away?