IMDb > Follow Thru (1930) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Follow Thru More at IMDbPro »

Author: fredf from Springfield MA
16 July 2000

This film has no great meaning and no real point, but is one of them most charming films I have ever seen. Written in the mid 20's, made in 1929 and released in 30 it still has the flavor of the Roaring 20's. From a stage play, it contains musical numbers and crazy dance sequences that could be from no other era. The girls are pretty, and the guys are handsome. The comics are foolish and endearing. The whole cast is full of the kind of youthful daring and exuberance that can't be acted. It has a delightfully naughty 20's feel about it, especially in numbers like "Turn up the heat" that features chorus girls dressed (if you can call it that) as devils, and the 2 strip Technicolor gives the film an almost fairy tale quality.

Sadly it is unavailable (I saw it years ago at the UCLA restoration festival, but they show it again every once in a while). If you every get a chance to see, bring your girl/boyfriend; especially if you are young, in love and a little nuts.

Vintage Early Musical

Author: westegg from New York
12 August 2007

A few corrections to the other comments...Busby Berkeley was already doing overhead shots the very same year in WHOOPEE. Also, Zelma O'Neal's number was "I Want to Be Bad," not "Turn Up the Heat," which was from 1929's SUNNY SIDE UP.

Anyway, this is an exceptional musical from the era which is inexplicably missing from view other than museum-type showings. Why can't TCM get a hold of it? The colors are well preserved, the cast is excellent, and it does have a wonderful sense of fun and charm. It really deserves to be rediscovered, as do so many other movies from this overlooked era.

The Boyfriend, of (golf) course...

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
14 January 2011

This dizzy delight is a Paramount musical made in the snazzy jazzy days of 1929 and filmed in delicious two strip Technicolor. How much do I just love this funny silly film? 9/10 funny.... and a complete wish come true to see the modern fashions and elite life of the flapper 20s. Very stagy in its tone and just like a dream come true for anyone who also loves WHOOPEE and other dawn of sound Technicolor talkies FOLLOW THRU remains a modern film today and especially because of the fashion style and use of color. Filmed outdoors at a real golf hacienda which would have cut down costs considerably allowing for expensive use of color and great clothing designs, FOLLOW THRU is the real jazz flapper 20s at it's most silly funny best. Zelma O'Neal is terrific and Buddy Rogers handsome boyfriend stuff, the drag sequence with Jack Haley and Eugene Palette is literally a howler... and dance numbers, especially I WANT TO BE BAD hold up well. FOLLOW THRU is a must for your DVD collection if the restored UCLA tech print is given a proper transfer. The masquerade party sequence is enough to make anyone swoon with glee. Add this to your art deco musical wish list along with THE BOYFRIEND and ROBERTA and WHOOPEE and GOOD MORNING EVE and AT LONG LAST LOVE (which shares an especially uncanny resemblance) and VOGUES OF 1938.

Nancy's Peaches and Cream Complexion, Red Hair and Green Eyes Made Her a Natural for Technicolor!!!!

Author: kidboots from Australia
11 May 2011

Less than a week after MGM programmer "Love in the Rough" opened another golf themed musical was released (advertised as "All Singie - Talkie - Dancie - Golfie"), although this one was far more prestigious. The all Technicolor "Follow Thru" was based on the Broadway hit of 1929 (401 performances) and paired Paramount's singing sweethearts - Charles "Buddy" Rogers and Nancy Carroll. Apart from the two stars, it followed it's stage roots with Jack Haley and Zelma O'Neal repeating their roles as the secondary comic couple and also a teen couple, Don Tomkins and Margaret Lee.

To me the movie is dazzling but reviewers weren't impressed as it came so late in the early musical cycle, at a time when the public was starting to keep away from musicals. Firstly, it was a complete shock how gorgeous Nancy Carroll looked in Technicolor. The colour was very harsh - all pinks and greens but even the garishness couldn't make Nancy look anything less than spectacular!!!

Lora Moore (Nancy Carroll) the champion golfer at the Mission Country Club is defeated at an important tournament by her arch rival Ruth Van Horn (Thelma Todd). She doesn't care - she has caught the eye of handsome golf pro Jerry Downs (Rogers) and begins to wonder if there is more to life than golf!! He is, unfortunately, just passing through so Lora persuades her bubbly friend Angie (Zelma O'Neal) to use her charms on his boss, girl shy Jack Martin (Jack Haley). Haley is the hit of the film, in my opinion, he is hilarious and has a "head twitch" that happens whenever he sees a girl he likes!! Anyway, Angie tries her best with the lively "Button Up Your Overcoat" (it left you wanting more!!) but it doesn't seem to work. Lora and Jerry do their courting to the beautiful "We'd Make a Peach of a Pair" - and they do!!! but wiley Ruth is determined to win Jerry away.

Babs and Dinty (the teen couple from the stage show) sing and dance an eccentric number "Then I'll Have Time for You" ("when I'm with my kid brother and they think I'm his mother!!!", "When my spirit is broken and I live in Hoboken - then I'll have time for you")!!! At the Masquerade Ball Lora looks very fetching in kilts but the night belongs to Angie as she performs the over the top fantasy number "I Want to Be Bad" - it rivals "Turn on the Heat" for sheer outrageousness. After Angie tells the little devils that "let a lady confess, I want to be bad", down come the angels, but their dancing is so hot they turn into devils and have to be hosed down by a celestial fire truck!!!

Ruth spreads stories about Jerry and Lora, upset, challenges her to a golf tournament but with all the agitation is completely off her game until Jerry takes charge at the last hole and orders her to "Follow Thru"!!!

As often happened with those "taken from Broadway" musicals, some of the original songs were ditched - among them was "You Wouldn't Fool Me, Would You?" that was a big hit for Annette Hanshaw. She sang it in a "Helen Kane" way and it is really cute. The big hit of the movie was one especially written for it. "A Peach of a Pair" was given top treatment by Nancy and Buddy and proved to be the song people were humming on their way home from the cinema.

Highly, Highly Recommended.

I was surprised that it was finally released on DVD

Author: cynthiahost from United States
30 December 2010

I have had an long term obsession with this two strip Technicolor musical classic. I first saw a clip from it back in 1989 on Entertainment tonight when they were talking about the preservation film festival at u. c. l. a. Then in the first annual AMC preservation film festival, way before the movie channel went down hill , I had assumed the next festival they would show it. They never did. Back in the mid nineties , I had written MCA home video if they can take consideration of possibly releasing that picture or the vagabond king , 1930 version, on VHS home video and that there was an audience for either of these preserved two color classics. But I met with deaf ears. Mca is greedy and only serve the casual fans of classic films than us serious fans cause we are a minority although big. They only want to put out their so called best classics only for the fast buck. Thus they have neglect film history. Then all of a sudden I found on the internet that they had finally put it on DVD. I was surprised. It is the fully restored version a above board print. It figures MCA copy rights had ran out and did not bother to relicense cause they just don't think it would make quick fast buck. This gave opportunity for other small companies to distribute it . Since they focus on profit in the long run.It is presented non enhanced two color Technicolor. Now the problem is the pacing it shifts from being fast in some moments to slow. Actress Zelma Oneal, who was married to actor Warren Williams, playing Angie Howard, carries the whole picture unintentionally . She's fast pace and natural with her acting and she can sing. The rest of the actors. like Buddy rogers and Nancy Carol over acts a bit and can't sing. Thelma Todd over acts too and Jack Haley. But this was 1930 and the talkies were just here since 1929. It's still fun to watch. The problem is the director Lloyd Corrigan. He was a character actor and good at that . But as a director he was only fair. If they could have used Ernest Lubitsch , it could have been as fast paced as the Broadway version of it , which originally starred Elenor Powell and was her first Broadway success. Ever since she was a baby her father Matt more, played by Claude king, has been teaching his daughter Lorna, played by Nancy Carol, to be a champion golfer.In the mean time new golfing instructor, Jerry ,played by Charles Buddy Rodgers , and Friend and boss, Martin, played by Jack Haley, Who's father runs a department store chain. To start his work , Jerry, as a golf instructor. They come up at the time of a golf championship. Lorna , champion is battling against snotty wealthy widow and slutty Mrs van Horn, played by very funny but overacting Thelma Todd. Lorna's Brother Dinte Moore, played by possible actor who was in Broadway version, Don Tompkins, who's plays a caddy. He is in love with the Daughter of the head of the country club Martin Bascomb, played by Albert Gran, and who's mother is a social director,played by Kathryn Givney. Their daughter Babs,played by Margaret Lee.It seems that Jack. played by Jack Haley , lost his pinky ring. It seems at a party he had proposed to a girl, who was Angie, at a party, while he was drunk. An heir loom.As they observe the golf Lorna notices Jerry and jerry her,As Jack gets to know Angie and she gets to know him,He notices that she has the ring and that she was the girl he proposed to her . He tries to get the ring back by telling him he a friend of the guy he proposed to her. she resist. With the help of new golf club member J.C Efingham played by Eugene Pallete, who produces Girdles , Angie tries to get her man. In the mean time Jerry is hired to improve Lorna's swing and follow thru. They become romantic to each other. While Mrs van horn chases both Jerry and jack suggesting that they both are invited to her place on the weekend at pebbles beach. All the golf members are invited to Mrs Van horns costume party in Mexico at her new house. Jerry and Lorna meet near the radio again. Later on Mrs van horn undermines the love between Jerry and Lorna by telling her that he agrees to an invitation to her house. Lorna gets mad and gets drunk. The next day she tries to undermined them again and Lorna challenges her to another game. In the mean time Jacks father finds out that he was lying about taking the heir loom to the jewelers , to get it clean,and threatens him to cut him off unless he gets the ring back.So with the Help of J.C. they pretend to be plumber to go into the girls locker room and sneak that ring back when Angie taking a shower. They managed to get it with the girls thinking that the plumber gone. Angie gets suspicious but she is called for the tee. The boys end up leaving the locker room in drag when a bunch of women are coming back. Angie gets Jack to try to get Jerry back to help her since they are both mad at each other. Well he immediately helps Lorna and she wins the championship Jack and Angie decides to get married. Lorna and Jerry get back together . big music hits of the twenties like,Take good care of yourself ,"I want to be bad,"are a part of the movie. The DVDs are available at ebay www.loving DVD and VHS and

Author: GManfred from Ramsey, NJ
12 August 2015

All reviewers seem to love this picture and I, too, tried to love it. The early Technicolor looked great and the whole production showed a lot of energy from all parties. True, several of them were in the Broadway musical and recreated their roles, chief among them were Jack Haley and Zelma O'Neal. I thought Haley hammed it up outrageously and was a grating presence much of the time. Zelma O'Neal, on the other hand, was terrific. She was energetic and showed a great deal of talent and overall ability; "Button Up Your Overcoat" belonged to her and Haley was just along for the ride.

Buddy Rogers was the nominal star and looked heavily made up for some reason and didn't give one of his better performances. Nancy Carroll, on the other hand, was in her element and didn't disappoint. But the story was over the top and grew tiresome despite the short running time of 92 minutes. I appreciate comic zaniness but I felt this one ladled it on with a trowel. Tragic comedienne Thelma Todd was on hand but was largely wasted and Eugene Palette was too old for his part. To top it all off, the music was ordinary, except for the "Button Up Your Overcoat" number.

As I said, I tried. Judging from the reception it got at Capitolfest in Rome,N.Y., I must have been the only wet blanket. "Follow Thru" is a Paramount picture, which could explain its absence from the public forum, as all early Paramount films are owned by Universal and are kept under lock and key.

Button Up Your Overcoat!

Author: F Gwynplaine MacIntyre from Minffordd, North Wales
5 July 2005

I viewed UCLA's restored print of this musical, an early example of two-strip Technicolor. Much of the action takes place on golf links and fairways, so I expected to see vibrant greens ... and I DID see some bright hues of green in the actress's costumes. But the foliage and fairways were strangely subdued. All of the flesh tones are very pink, and the women appear to be wearing too much rouge. All the man-made objects have got nice vibrant Easter Egg colours, though.

This is one of those candyfloss 1920s musicals where strangers instantly fall in love as soon as they clap eyes on each other. All the gals are man-hungry and randy with it, and the comedy lead (Jack Haley) is frightened of women. Haley's character has 'trick eyebrows' which force him to pull a face whenever he thinks about sex. There's plenty of innuendo here ... and lots and lots and lots of expository dialogue. I kept expecting someone to enter with a racquet while saying 'Tennis, anyone?' ... except that the action takes place at a golf course.

SPOILING ONE PUNCH LINE. For the comedy set piece, Haley and Eugene Palllette must infiltrate the women's changing room to retrieve a McGuffin. I expected them to go in disguised as women, but this movie fooled me: they go in disguised as plumbers, and then they get OUT disguised as women.

The male lead in this movie is former silent-film star Buddy Rogers, who once took the trouble to answer my questions when I briefly met him. It pains me to report that his singing voice is just tolerable, and he shows no skill with dialogue.

Surprisingly, this crude musical spawned one hit song: 'Button Up Your Overcoat', performed enthusiastically by Haley and Zelma O'Neal. A couple of the other songs have dull melodies enlivened by lyrics that just occasionally turn risqué. The choreography is wittier than I'd hoped, and one chorus number features a brief overhead shot ... several years before Busby Berkeley made this device his personal trademark.

Thelma Todd is quite good as the villain, in a role outside her usual range. The very English character actor Claude King is cast here as a stage Scotsman, lumbered with Harry Lauder's 'hoot mon' accent. Nancy Carroll is quite fetching in a mini-kilt.

I must disagree with IMDb reviewer Arne Andersen, who says that the character dubbed Dinty Moore in this movie is named for a famous restaurateur. That name originated with a *fictional* character in George McManus's comic strip 'Bringing Up Father'. Eventually, a restaurant was named after the comic-strip character ... but there never was a real person named Dinty Moore, just as there isn't a real person named Beefsteak Charlie.

'Follow Thru' is really more interesting as an historical artefact than as a musical, but I enjoyed it. I'll rate this early musical 7 out of 10.

Tame early talkie with practically no plot, just charm

Author: Arne Andersen ( from Putney, VT
4 February 2004

Buddy Rogers and Nancy Carroll can't act or sing well here, but they don't for a minute let that fact stand in their way. They get by on their facial beauty, their charm and their obvious on screen chemistry. Jack Haley and Eugene Pallette are serviceable as the comic support. Who steals the show but a singing comedienne named Zelma O'Neal, playing Carroll's friend, Angie. Her facial expressions and timing are the whole show and she emerges as the only reason to see this slow moving, plotless relic of the early talkie era.

The early two-strip Technicolor is used unimaginatively (reds and greens predominate). Only five songs are retained from the original Broadway musical from which this is adapted. One became a standard (BUTTON UP YOUR OVERCOAT). The other four are A PEACH OF A PAIR, THEN I'LL HAVE TIME FOR YOU, I WANT TO BE BAD and IT MUST BE YOU.

Don Tomkins who plays a character named after a famous restaurateur (Dinty Moore) has a certain oddball charm and is facially quite striking. In fact all the young men and women in the cast are easy on the eyes.

Unfortunately, there is hardly any plot. It all takes place at a golfing country club. All the girls want Rogers and Carroll also sets her cap for him. She of course gets him after a little rivalry is resolved. That's it, folks. Hardly enough reason to sit through the 93 minutes it take to tell this non-tale. The direction is lethargic and in the end, only the charm of the leads and the talented O'Neal remain in the memory banks.

Seek this out only if you are a fan of early talkies, early Technicolor or the leads.