IMDb > Dizzy Dishes (1930) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Dizzy Dishes More at IMDbPro »

Notable only as a formative Betty Boop cartoon

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
18 July 2004

While Fleischer cartoons are generally well-animated and thus worth watching from that standpoint, the only real point of interest is the comparatively brief look at Betty Boop-version 1.0. Originally, Betty Boop was conceived as a dog and gradually evolved into the Betty Boop most recognizable today. There isn't much to say about the short itself, as it's nothing terribly special. The gags are occasionally cute, but it isn't especially memorable for anything other than Betty. I've had waiters this bad before, however. Dizzy Dishes is on Betty Boop-The Definitive Collection, an excellent compilation. Maybe Popeye will receive similar treatment on DVD sometime before the heat-death of the universe. For completeists only.

Mostly of interest to cartoon historians due to the first appearance (sort of) of Betty Boop.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
20 November 2012

Technically, this is the first Betty Boop cartoon--and because of that, it's very important historically. However, if you see it, you'll notice that Betty isn't yet the Betty we all know. The animation of this character is poor, she has doggy ears (as she did in the first five or so of her films) and there is little in the way of personality--she's just a dog-like cabaret singer grinding out a tune. The actual star of the cartoon is the waiter is this goofy restaurant who is giving terrible service to a huge and scary looking character who keeps eating the plates! The ending also isn't very Boop-like, as it's quite surreal and difficult to describe. All in all, a pleasant but otherwise unremarkable little film. Judging by the look of this, it's not easy to see that Betty would soon be a big star for the Fleischer brothers and Paramount Studio.

A Great opening to the talkartoon series

Author: May Summers from London
13 June 2010

The Best thing about this talkartoon feature was it the first cartoon to feature the animated character Betty Boop. Betty was nameless in this feature and was Originally meant as a Caricature of Helen Kane. she most likely was meant to have been Helen kane only in a cartoon form and thats why she was nameless also not to mention Betty Boop was a canine.

to avoid confusion margie hines was the first helen kane soundalike chosen to record the singing for this cartoon meaning she was first to voice Betty Boop.

The Caricature Performs one of Helen kanes Novelty Hits (I Have To Have You) with some scat lyrics of Boop Oop a Doop/ Poop Poop a Doo/ Boop Boop a Doop. the cartoon has the regular fleischer studio Gags. basically revolving around bimbo the dog. Gus the gorilla can also be seen in this short who was actually one of the characters from the Betty Boop series. Betty boops singing doesn't last very long but its great to see all the expressions in her face, some are really scary. if only her sequence went on longer.

I give this cartoon 10/10 because it was the first cartoon to feature Betty Boop. she was classed as ugly in this appearance but sooner or later she went though a few more changes which resulted in her becoming the title name called The Betty Boop Cartoons.

I feel weird...

Author: Mightyzebra from Scotland
6 March 2009

...Never in my life have I watched a Betty Boop cartoon - until today. I thought I could give this one a go, as this was Betty's debut and I wanted to see what she would be like.

Betty Boop only appears in this odd and old episode for a little bit of it, but seems to be an important character. In this appearance she has dog ears, to attract the dog waiter who is the main centre of the episode. He is catering for a pub-type place with a stage for dancers (Betty Boop is a dancer and the waiter seems to dance for her later because he loves her so much). The main plot-line of the episode is the fact that the waiter is incredibly slow and everyone is waiting for him. The most stressed out customer is a rather big dog who wants roast duck. The waiter is just about to bring the roast duck to him until he is distracted by Betty Boop and dances with the duck (cooked and prepared).

Anyhow, that's pretty much the plot of the episode. I thought it was cute, entertaining and one that I would watch again. As for Betty Boop, she was not a character to interest me enough (partly because she was not the main character), so I think I'll have to watch some newer episodes with her to have a better idea of her.

I recommend this episode to people who like lots of arbitrary dancing and music in a short cartoon episode and to people who want to see Betty's first appearance - with dog ears. Enjoy "Dizzy Dishes"! :-)

7 and a half out of ten.