IMDb > Alice the Whaler (1927) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Alice the Whaler More at IMDbPro »

A precursor to "Steamboat Willie"

Author: Cristian
12 July 1999

Lois Hardwick was a very expressive, vivid Alice. It is only too bad that when she was brought on board (no pun intended) Walt had begun to lose interest in his Alice Comedies, and these weren't as full of hybrid (live action and animation together) segments as the earlier efforts. Lois is in few shots here, but one can only wonder how great these last Alice Comedies would've been if they had featured her in as many hybrid segments as before. Lois appears against a generic background for the most part, generally laughing by herself. Surprisingly, there's very little of Julius the cat as well in this cartoon. I could almost clock him in for a total of 5 seconds. Not too surprisingly, on the other hand, is that the main character in this movie is a nameless mouse. Foreshadowing. Anyway, this mouse has rather long ears, almost like a bunny. At one point he uses his ears as wings to fly after a seagull. This would be a character in between Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and Mickey Mouse. The quality of the animation supercedes all previous Alice efforts. Characters don't persistently change colours and shadings and frames don't skip. This was similar to Steamboat Willie in quality. One of the scenes involving the mouse and some spuds was reworked into that later film as a Mickey Mouse routine. My only other complaint asides from the under-using of Lois Hardwick was the lack of a proper ending.

Not very good.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
13 August 2012

This is one of the last Alice comedies from Walt Disney. After making about 50 of these live action/cartoon films, Walt and his animators soon switched to making Mickey Mouse cartoons. Considering the poor quality of this film, it was about time to make a change. While I love the earlier Alice films this one just isn't very entertaining.

Lois Hardwick stars as Alice--one of several kids who played this title role. She and her friends, the animals, are aboard a whaling ship. Much of the time, the film has little to do with whales and consists of some sadistic adventures of a Mickey Mouse-like creature as he tortures animals. Later, they see whales and the film VERY abruptly ends. Could the ending have vanished over the years or was it meant to end this way, I have no idea. All I know is that it really isn't very funny and left me cold.