IMDb > Wachsexperimente (1927) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wachsexperimente More at IMDbPro »

Strange and wonderful revelations

Author: oOgiandujaOo from United Kingdom
14 February 2009

I think this Wax Experiments is very intriguing when compared to Fischinger's later abstract movies, it shows you the developmental process whereby he decided to arrive at visual music. From what I can tell at the start of the movie he has made some quite complex wax rosettes, these are very reminiscent of the spirals that always fascinated him and never really left his work. He's filming them in black and white, and it's silent, I think he's probably heating them from beneath we see them move around a bit somehow, before they pulsate, shrug, and finally melt.

It's all very slow, and I was thinking Dante and the circles of hell. He changes tact abruptly later in the movie and shows us strange atmospheres of flowing wax/lava. It's Night on the Bare Mountain type of stuff, and he even at two points moves silhouettes across the bottom of the screen, one sinusoidal likes hills or mountains, and another like pyramids, so that the viewer understands how to see what he's showing. It's really a very sci-fi type of idea, like we're on some distant Pluto watching unknowable cataclysms.

The usual Fischinger

Author: Thomas (filmreviews@web.de) from Berlin, Germany
9 July 2015

If you come across the director's 1927 movie "Wachsexperimente" or "Wax experiments", you are probably already familiar with the style of Oskar Fischinger and you should decide for yourself if this one is worth a watch. It's black-and-white, silent and of course only animation. No people are in here, also no cartoon characters. It is exactly what the title says, experiments with wax. It's actually a very early work from him. I would say it has its moments, but as a whole I did not find it interesting enough to let me recommend it to you. Some sequences were solid, but as a whole I just found it rather repetitive and forgettable, but as I said it's highly unlikely that you have not seen another Fischinger film before watching this one, so decide for yourself.