IMDb > Alice's Tin Pony (1925) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Alice's Tin Pony More at IMDbPro »

Julius' Tin Pony

Author: Thomas ( from Berlin, Germany
29 August 2016

This is "Alice's Tin Pony", a 7-minute black-and-white silent short film that is over 90 years old already and from my title you already see that I believe this is much more about Julius than about Alice. You could also call it "The not so Great Train Robbery" as this one here has a touch of western attached to it. The most memorable (because most bizarre) moment was probably the coal shovel scene with Julius in here and with the shovel's face of course. It's another short film Disney made in his 20s that helped him in becoming good enough for all the great stuff he did later on. This one here is just the way there, it is not a strong achievement by any means. Marge Gay plays Alice once again, but I cannot say if I liked her because it is so difficult to recognize her in this mix of live action and animation. And apart from that, she really has only very little screen-time. I don't recommend the watch.

Alice's Tin Pony

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
18 July 2015

Alice's Tin Pony (1925)

*** (out of 4)

Fast and fun short from Walt Disney has Alice and her cat Julius running their own railroad station and they get a visit from Pete the bear who is a bandit and comes after the train. ALICE'S TIN PONY is another good entry in the series as we're given some really funny moments here and in fact, up to this point in the series, the best moment. This highlight happens when Pete has a drunk bear come up to him and trying to start trouble. I'm not going to spoil what happens but the animation is perfect and the joke is just downright hilarious. Other highlights includes Julius accidentally setting himself on fire and there's no question that the ending is great.

Training for Alice

Author: tedg ( from Virginia Beach
16 April 2008

Before Micky, even before we worked out what realities we wanted in animation, Disney made this. With his own hand.

The Alice supposed to be Alice from Wonderland. She is a live character superimposed on the cartoon, interacting with drawn objects.

The "tin pony" is a locomotive, and there are lots of sight gags having to do with plastic physics. Walt was responsible for several serious problems in the film world. But this really shows a lot of cleverness and promise.

I don't know my cartoon history, so I do not know how Felix the Cat features so prominently in this.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.