IMDb > The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed

The Adventures of Prince Achmed More at IMDbPro »Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed (original title)

Do not know how else I could express my respect and admiration other than highly recommending this to you.

Author: Rosalyn Lim 林惠美 (hayashimegumi) from http://rosalynmuses.blogspot.com
20 November 2014

Watching The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) is exactly like watching cutouts coming to life. It resembles a magical play and it certainly is not your ordinary animated feature. Aside from being the one of the first made and oldest surviving in the world, it is also one of the very few movies that are exceedingly detailed and exquisite from start to end.

Highly inventive and creative in storytelling, each frame are painstakingly crafted and put together by hand resulting beautiful scenes in the animated feature. Even if the casts are merely silhouettes of the cutouts, we are able to feel the character's emotions as the magnificent music sets the mood and the body movements of the cutouts are straightforward, making the animation vivid.

What I loved most about this animated feature is that it is truly artistic. Lotte Reiniger is a German but she is able to produce beautiful Arabian and Chinese cutout sets. If she is not a genius, I don't know what she would be! Some stuffs may not be historically accurate or make sense but well it's 1926 so it's actually pretty decent especially they do not have as much resources as we have today to refer or learn from! Hence, it is really amazing to able to watch what a woman's creativity and cutouts can do!

So, can I call Lotte Reiniger the Mother of Animation? Actually why not? Lotte Reiniger rightfully is the Mother of Animation!! She invented her own technique and pioneered the earliest form of stop motion animation into a feature film. She is one of the first female film directors and certainly is the first female animated feature film director! Also, even though over 88 years has passed, her The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) is still so enchanting and mesmerizing; it will not fail to capture the hearts of all animation fans! (Though I must mention and clarify that it would be given that the animation fan do not anti-fairy tales and don't mind the cultural depictions or societal elements)

Seriously, I never thought the animation or the output would be that great, how could she possibly achieve this kind of animation that is so exquisitely animated, in 1926?! I watched this in disbelief and certainly am lost for words for a while because it is the third oldest animated feature and it is also so much more interesting, pleasant, beautiful, insert all the praise words here, in comparison to some of the decades much newer films!

Therefore, The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926) is truly a wonder of animation and if you are blessed to watch this, I am sure you will appreciate the art of animation more. I do not know how else I could express my respect and admiration other than highly recommending this to you. It is truly one indisputable great movie. (I'll be mad if you say it's not great!)