IMDb > Nosferatu (1922) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

Nosferatu More at IMDbPro »Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (original title)

Page 9 of 35: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

I liked it!

Author: Freddy Jenkins from United States
12 April 2015

The version of this movie I had was a little bit hard to see but I won't hold that against the movie because this is when movies were beginning to develop. There was text slides you had to read because the technology wasn't there to capture voices. The scariest scene of the whole movie I think is when it shows his shadow walking down the hallway to the bedroom. I liked how he didn't turn into a bat like most vampires do because that to me seems to be taken too literal of calling them vampires. I also liked how creepy he looked through the whole film! Even though there wasn't any sound except for music it was still kind of creepy. Overall It was pretty good and I liked it so I give it an 8 out of 10.

Frightening vampire but simple plot

Author: johanlouwet78 from Belgium
11 April 2015

The movie was made in 1922 which would make it younger than The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari which I consider superior in every way. Sure Max Shreck is really frightening as the vampire, here called Count Orlok because copyright issues didn't allow the director to use the Dracula name even though the movie is clearly based on the Dracula novel. This means that Nosferatu is the first Dracula movie preceding the Dracula movie from Universal Studios by 9 years. Dracula from Universal developed its story and characters out better than Nosferatu. Sure the fact that Nosferatu is a silent works as disadvantage but it could have been made up by atmosphere which I find is really lacking. I do the comparison with Cabinet of Dr. Caligari which had much more atmosphere and actually a good story and characters. Nosferatu relies too much on the creepiness of count Orlok. The story is so simple, the characters underdeveloped. Interesting to see as piece of history but there is better silents and silent horrors out there. Not to forget showing hyenas when talking about wolves, it's strange they could get away with that.

Amazing for its time, pretty good for today

Author: carljessieson from United States
25 March 2015

Nosferatu is a 1922 German film directed by F.W. Murnau, written by Henrik Galeen, and starring Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, and Greta Schröder.

Liked it, didn't love it. There are so many times during horror films when I think of a smarter plan of action than the characters did, and this movie was just the same. I totally understand that it is a classic, and it definitely deserves to be. It's important to note the time this movie came from while critiquing it. Things in the film that may seem amateur now were ground-breaking back then. The film unfolded in a somewhat confusing manner. Something I've noticed about watching these earlier films is that the pacing is strange. It will be moving incredibly slow and/or including scenes that weren't really necessary, and then things that should take a long time happen in a snap with no explanation. I know that's vague but when watching, be prepared for seemingly random behavior stemming from somewhat ambiguous motives. I thought I was having difficulty suspending disbelief, but you can only blame it on that so many times before you have to accept that the film just isn't filling in all the blanks. It was successful in creeping me out, that's for sure. Interesting enough but I did find myself ready for it to be over a while before it actually was. It has awesome special effects for 1922. There were interesting, creative angles. It is a classic for a reason, definitely, and I'll recommend it, I guess.

Bechdel test: 0/1 Did not pass. Only one female character and her sole reason for existence was to worry about her husband and be in utter despair.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. 1/1

Do I ever want to see it again? I would watch it again, yes.

Do I ever want to include it in my own collection? It's already included but I don't think I would intend to buy it if it wasn't.

7/10 Bye love you -Jessie Carlson

The first Dracula horror movie...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
25 February 2015

"Nosferatu" is a horror movie which was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's "Dracula" with some changes because of rights, so they changed the names and from "vampire" became "Nosferatu" and "Count Dracula" became "Count Orlok". But the plot and also the storyline is about the same as we know it nowadays.

I have to admit that even though this is an old movie I liked it because it is considered one of the must see horror movies in order to understand the history of horror. This movie maybe is considered as a just old horror movie that can not give you anything but I have to disagree with this opinion and for instance I have to say that this movie can give you a lot. Some of them are that this movie was the idea of vampires to be killed by sunlight and of course this movie was the start of horror movies in that times.

Finally I believe that "Nosferatu" is a movie that everyone has to watch because through this you can have a historic lesson about cinema and of course horror. I have also to prepare you not to have any visual expectations from this movie or plenty of action but instead of this it has much of suspense. Also you have to take into consideration that this movie is about one hundred years old, so do not judge it hardly and also do not judge it before watching it.

Another iconic Vampire MASTERPIECE.

Author: ivankrajc
16 January 2015

This movie is only equal to Dracula 1931.

It is the shadow aspect of the Vampires.The Jekyll of Jekyll and Hyde.

The hidden horror that lurks within all Vampires.

One might choose to become like Bella Lugosi or Nosferatu or perhaps something else.

It is up to you to make that choice.

We have the freedom to choose what we want to be and accept as part of us and that can be anything at all.

The world is filled with all kinds of creatures with diverse personalities and biologies even when appearing to be the same speceis.

No one knows it all even if you belong to all of this.

Nosferatu 1922 is the dark side of you.Not just the Vampires.

The extreme that lies on the far end of the road if we choose to take it.

A cursed life which is doomed from the start.

Still Creepy After All These Years

Author: William Samuel from United States
7 January 2015

Allow me to start off by saying that Nosferatu is a complete, shameless rip-off of Dracula. Sure, the vampire's name has been changed, and the story moved from London to Bremen, but the plot and many of the characters remain the same. Bram Stoker's widow actually sued the filmmakers for copyright infringement, securing a court order that all copies of the film be destroyed. We are fortunate today that a handful of prints survived. Sure, Nosferatu may be a rip-off, but it's still one heck of a horror movie.

The movie does have some very real problems. Although the filmmakers had one of the great novels of the previous century to work with, the problems of adapting it into a screenplay, together with the constraints inherent to all silent films medium, mean that some plot points never become all the way clear. There is also a bit of Bad Exposition Syndrome involving the film's solution. And although Professor Van Helsing appears, he never actually confronts the villain.

But the issues are more than made up for by Nosferatu's sheer creepiness. Conrad Viet (?) playing the title role, sports one of the all time great horror movie makeup jobs. His pointed ears, completely bald head, narrow cheekbones, and bushy eyebrows give him an aspect that is terrible to behold. His hands are oversized, with his fingers narrowing into long claws. And forget the standard pair of fangs; all of his teeth are needle sharp, and his mouth is absolutely packed with them.

This eeriness extends to practically every other aspect of the film as well. The Transylvanian castle fills the viewer with foreboding from the moment it is first seen, and the darkly lit halls and corridors within are no less disquieting. Even more menacing is the ruined manor in Bremen. Every window is broken, part of the roof is collapsed, and indeed it seems that at any moment the entire structure could come crashing down.

The special effects are also worth noting. Although crude by today's standards, there is still something frightening about seeing doors open and close on their own, or coffin lids floating through the air. We know that these sights can't be real; the jerkiness of the movements tells us that something is up. But the incompleteness of the illusion only adds to the feeling that something is not right, heightening our sense of apprehension.

Great advances in production values have taken place since this film was made, and I admit that Todd Browning's Dracula, made only a decade later, had much better plot and characterization. But Nosferatu is still the one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen, able to give even the hardiest of audiences nightmares. And if it can still have this effect today, just imagine what it must have been like for people watching this in 1921. It's not hard to picture many a burgher making their way home through the dark, narrow streets of Berlin or Munich, convinced that their every step was shadowed by an immortal being that lived only to suck the very life out of them, and to… You're not reading this in the dark are you?

Slow, but otherwise good movie thanks to Nosferatu

Author: anton-zaenglernd from Germany
23 November 2014

While maybe great for its time, this movie felt very slow and tedious at times. In the first minutes of the movie I didn't think I would like the movie at all, but the scenes in the castle and the acting of Max Schreck playing Nosferatu changed my mind (somewhat). His makeup and movement, supported by the good musical, set the mood for a creepy, but not too terrifying movie. Just him standing and watching or slowly and awkwardly walking made great impersonations of Nosferatu. The scene in the end, where you only see his shadow on the wall was great. But as fantastic as he acted, I didn't enjoy the movie too much.

While it seems to be the norm in older silent movies, silly overacting by some characters, particularly by Hutter (played by Gustav von Wangenheim), made some scenes rather comical. Some parts of the movie were dragged out too long and I feel like they repeated showing the ship sailing a dozen times. Oftentimes I just wished I could skip the next 5-10 seconds of the movie, because I knew nothing would be happening in this time.

"Here begins the land of phantoms..."

Author: utgard14 from USA
7 November 2014

Highly influential silent horror classic. It follows the basic story of Dracula. As pretty much everybody knows, they did this adaptation of Stoker's novel without permission. His widow sued and won. The court ordered that every print of this film be destroyed. Thankfully for us, somebody saved a copy. That this film was made nearly a century ago is astonishing. The makeup for the ratlike Count Orlock, played by Max Schreck, is amazing even by modern standards. Orlock still stands to this day as the most uniquely frightening vampire ever put on film. Director F.W. Murnau creates an eerie, otherworldly atmosphere. He uses many authentic "Old World" locations that are very spooky. There are lots of creepy and scary moments in Nosferatu. As much as I love the Universal and Hammer Draculas for their entertainment value, I think this is the scariest of all the different versions I've seen. It's best seen at night, as most great horror films are.

One of the Greats

Author: Lokii321 from UK
5 November 2014

I have loved this film since I experienced it late night on TV some time ago. I watched it on a B&W portable and was impressed by its style, cinematography and invention. I have since viewed it on VHS and DVD but had not truly been able appreciate the true vision of this movie until I viewed it this week on the remastered three disc BD from Masters of Cinema, as part of their 'Eureka' collection. In a world full of CG and 3D movies, this still stands head and shoulders above the rest as a great piece of cinema and history. In high def on a large screen TV it is phenomenal, with deep contrast you make out all the character and set details as never before. It bothers me to think this movie was nearly wiped out of existence when the estate of Bram Stoker won their case to have all copies of the film destroyed based on copyright infringement. Thank the maker they never got all of the copies.......

The Silent Symphony of Count Doorlock...

Author: poe426 from USA
30 October 2014

Watching this one just this morning, I happened to be in the company of my niece's son, Louie. To make NOSFERATU interesting enough to hold the attention of a five-year-old, I resorted to doing the voices of the various characters (Peter Lorre and Edward G. Robinson lent their respective distinctive voices to the film). At one point, I thought I'd lost the kid: he picked up a pair of action figures and started playing with them. Then he looked up, just in time to see Max Schreck as Count Orlock walking toward the camera. "It's Count Doorlock," he said. And so it will ever be. NOSFERATU still holds up, after nearly a hundred years: the use of negative images to lend an air of unreality to the proceedings (the coach ride to Castle Doorlock) is still a neat little trick, as was what was apparently the use of a mirror to suggest a ghostly apparition (Count Doorlock, seen by a ship's crewman sick with "fever") and Doorlock's Horizontal to Vertical rise, done without so much as the bending of a single limb. The whole notion of a vampire "plague" is still viable (and the analogy still so apt) that it's being used on television (THE STRAIN) and in print (THE NIGHT RIDERS, an xlibris book).