IMDb > Nosferatu (1922) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

Nosferatu More at IMDbPro »Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (original title)

Page 6 of 36: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

The movie that will give you goosebumps

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
4 June 2015

This is one of scariest movies ever. It is based on Dracula the best horror novel ever. So it is the story of how a vampire from Romania that moves to England to find new victims. Very scary. This is one of the best horror movies ever. It will give you goosebumps. This movie has a great story line. This movie also has great acting. This movie also has great special effects. See this movie. It is a great movie. This movie is a true horror classic. It is a master pieces in terror. If this movie does not scary you then no movie will. I need more line and I am running out of things to say. Great movie great movie great movie.

A Potpourri of Vestiges Review: German Filmmaker F. W. Murnau's Epic Tale of Endless Horror.

Author: Murtaza Ali from India
30 May 2015

Nosferatu is a 1922 silent Gothic horror film directed by legendary German filmmaker, Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau. F. W. Murnau—a prominent figure in the German expressionist movement of the 1920s—is widely regarded as one of the most influential filmmakers of the silent era. Nosferatu, also known as Nosferatu–A Symphony of Horror, stars Max Schreck as the vampire Count Orlok. Murnau's Nosferatu was supposed to be an adaptation of Bram Stoker's 1897 epic vampire extravaganza, Dracula, but after the studio failed to procure the rights of the book from Stoker's widow, the names and other details were deliberately adjusted so as to avoid the hassles of copyright infringement. However, this deviation was not enough to deceive the court, which gave its verdict in the favor of Stoker's widow. After the film studio (Prana Film) declared its bankruptcy, the court instructed to destroy all the existing prints of Nosferatu. If it wouldn't have been for the one surviving copy of the film, which had already been distributed all around the world, we would have surely been deprived of the privilege of savoring this true gem of cinema.

What makes Murnau's Nosferatu remarkable, in comparison to the countless other renditions, is that apart from keeping the eerie feeling of Stoker's Dracula intact it also succeeds in doing away with the theatrical gimmicks (that can offer tear apart an entire narrative), thus relying heavily on the development of its characters as well as its plot. This enriches Murnau's characters with an inherent sense of realism that the characters in the book's other cinematic renditions are so ostentatiously devoid of. Max Schreck's Count Orlok, in exact contract to the character's future portrayals on the celluloid, is what he is supposed to be: a cursed creature depraved by centuries of hapless suffering and solitude, who obviously lacks the glamour of a celebrated vampire being made to bask in the glory of his own grandeur.

One vampire movie that comes very close to Murnau's Nosferatu in its expression of horro is E. Elias Merhige's metafiction horror film, Shadow of the Vampire (2000). The movie, coincidentally, shares a more intimate relation with Nosferatu, for it narrates a fictionalized account of the filming of Murnau's 1922 epic. The movie stars John Malkovich as F. W. Murnau and Willem Dafoe as Count Orlok. The beauty of Merhige's Shadow of the Vampire is that it serves two different purposes at the same time: It triumphantly presents a fictionalized account of the making of Nosferatu. And, it also serves to be a Gothic horror film of its own. Malkovich's Murnau comes across as a meticulous filmmaker who seems so obsessed about his art that he wouldn't think twice about sacrificing his cast and crew members in order to fulfill his artistic vision. Dafoe's Count Orlok is an actor so committed to his act that he wouldn't leave a single stone unturned in order to bring the Gothic vampire to life. While Dafoe's masterful performance resonates with Max Schreck's iconic portrayal, John Malkovich's F. W. Murnau has all the qualities of becoming the cinematic archetype of a mad artist obsessed with his art.

Over the last nine decades, Nosferatu has not only enjoyed a strong cult following, but has received overwhelmingly positive reviews. Renowned film critic Roger Ebert writes in his review of Nosferatu, "To watch F.W. Murnau's 'Nosferatu'' is to see the vampire movie before it had really seen itself. Here is the story of Dracula before it was buried alive in clichés, jokes, TV skits, cartoons and more than 30 other films. The film is in awe of its material. It seems to really believe in vampires." Over the years, Stoker's Count Dracula has enjoyed an unprecedented following, one that is matched only by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's super-sleuth, Sherlock Holmes, with Stoker's Gothic super-villain making a major appearance in more than 200 films. Suffice it is to say that the universal popularity of Stoker's Dracula owes a colossal debt to Murnau's Nosferatu, which not only made Stoker's epic vampire saga a household phenomenon, but also immortalized Stoker's vampire as the supreme symbol of Gothic terror in the world of cinema. Even today, Murnau's Nosferatu serves as a great means to get acquainted with Stoker's timeless tale of terror. Nosferatu still continues to be unparalleled in its demonstration of unrestrained terror in the world of cinema. An essential watch!

(This review was first published at A Potpourri of Vestiges)

This one was extraordinary.

Author: expertgame from Stowl, Manchester, England
24 April 2015

This is the granddaddy of every horror movie and one of the best. Seriously, it's still scary, well-made and enjoyable. Max Schreck plays one of the greatest villains ever. No emotions, no motivations, no introspection, just a freaky living corpse sucking your blood.

The flaws are little and rare, the only bad thing is overacting. But this was great and probably really scary for the '20s.

F.W. Murnau is a true cinema master and probably Nosferatu is his masterpiece. And - my opinion - probably the movie with the bast vampire teeth ever.

Aniway, this movie actually introduced the fact that vampires burn exposed at sunlight. And i have to say Orlok is better than Lugosi's Dracula.

I recommend you the colorized 1995 and 2005 versions.

My most favorite vampire film

Author: goldeagle 407 from United States
17 April 2015

I always like to plug this film in more than any other in the vampire genre. The atmosphere just draws me in with the shades of black and white acting as the color scheme, allowing me to focus on the film and not be distracted by random colors. The vampire's design is so haunting, the silence of the piece helps with the vampire's mystique, leaving only his movements to provide the chills.

A few negatives I have with this film is firstly, the music. My copy of the film uses an organ to provide the sound. It is bit repetitive but it does the job for me. Others I have watched have used totally unfitting or just annoying scores. The characters get really no development in my opinion, and I just don't care about them. It could be a fault of the medium at the time or I'm just missing it.

The film is definitely a must watch, especially with the right score.

Amazing for its time, pretty good for today

Author: carljessieson from United States
25 March 2015

Nosferatu is a 1922 German film directed by F.W. Murnau, written by Henrik Galeen, and starring Max Schreck, Gustav von Wangenheim, and Greta Schröder.

Liked it, didn't love it. There are so many times during horror films when I think of a smarter plan of action than the characters did, and this movie was just the same. I totally understand that it is a classic, and it definitely deserves to be. It's important to note the time this movie came from while critiquing it. Things in the film that may seem amateur now were ground-breaking back then. The film unfolded in a somewhat confusing manner. Something I've noticed about watching these earlier films is that the pacing is strange. It will be moving incredibly slow and/or including scenes that weren't really necessary, and then things that should take a long time happen in a snap with no explanation. I know that's vague but when watching, be prepared for seemingly random behavior stemming from somewhat ambiguous motives. I thought I was having difficulty suspending disbelief, but you can only blame it on that so many times before you have to accept that the film just isn't filling in all the blanks. It was successful in creeping me out, that's for sure. Interesting enough but I did find myself ready for it to be over a while before it actually was. It has awesome special effects for 1922. There were interesting, creative angles. It is a classic for a reason, definitely, and I'll recommend it, I guess.

Bechdel test: 0/1 Did not pass. Only one female character and her sole reason for existence was to worry about her husband and be in utter despair.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. 1/1

Do I ever want to see it again? I would watch it again, yes.

Do I ever want to include it in my own collection? It's already included but I don't think I would intend to buy it if it wasn't.

7/10 Bye love you -Jessie Carlson

The first Dracula horror movie...

Author: Thanos Alfie from Greece
25 February 2015

"Nosferatu" is a horror movie which was an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's "Dracula" with some changes because of rights, so they changed the names and from "vampire" became "Nosferatu" and "Count Dracula" became "Count Orlok". But the plot and also the storyline is about the same as we know it nowadays.

I have to admit that even though this is an old movie I liked it because it is considered one of the must see horror movies in order to understand the history of horror. This movie maybe is considered as a just old horror movie that can not give you anything but I have to disagree with this opinion and for instance I have to say that this movie can give you a lot. Some of them are that this movie was the idea of vampires to be killed by sunlight and of course this movie was the start of horror movies in that times.

Finally I believe that "Nosferatu" is a movie that everyone has to watch because through this you can have a historic lesson about cinema and of course horror. I have also to prepare you not to have any visual expectations from this movie or plenty of action but instead of this it has much of suspense. Also you have to take into consideration that this movie is about one hundred years old, so do not judge it hardly and also do not judge it before watching it.

Another iconic Vampire MASTERPIECE.

Author: ivankrajc
16 January 2015

This movie is only equal to Dracula 1931.

It is the shadow aspect of the Vampires.The Jekyll of Jekyll and Hyde.

The hidden horror that lurks within all Vampires.

One might choose to become like Bella Lugosi or Nosferatu or perhaps something else.

It is up to you to make that choice.

We have the freedom to choose what we want to be and accept as part of us and that can be anything at all.

The world is filled with all kinds of creatures with diverse personalities and biologies even when appearing to be the same speceis.

No one knows it all even if you belong to all of this.

Nosferatu 1922 is the dark side of you.Not just the Vampires.

The extreme that lies on the far end of the road if we choose to take it.

A cursed life which is doomed from the start.

Still Creepy After All These Years

Author: William Samuel from United States
7 January 2015

Allow me to start off by saying that Nosferatu is a complete, shameless rip-off of Dracula. Sure, the vampire's name has been changed, and the story moved from London to Bremen, but the plot and many of the characters remain the same. Bram Stoker's widow actually sued the filmmakers for copyright infringement, securing a court order that all copies of the film be destroyed. We are fortunate today that a handful of prints survived. Sure, Nosferatu may be a rip-off, but it's still one heck of a horror movie.

The movie does have some very real problems. Although the filmmakers had one of the great novels of the previous century to work with, the problems of adapting it into a screenplay, together with the constraints inherent to all silent films medium, mean that some plot points never become all the way clear. There is also a bit of Bad Exposition Syndrome involving the film's solution. And although Professor Van Helsing appears, he never actually confronts the villain.

But the issues are more than made up for by Nosferatu's sheer creepiness. Conrad Viet (?) playing the title role, sports one of the all time great horror movie makeup jobs. His pointed ears, completely bald head, narrow cheekbones, and bushy eyebrows give him an aspect that is terrible to behold. His hands are oversized, with his fingers narrowing into long claws. And forget the standard pair of fangs; all of his teeth are needle sharp, and his mouth is absolutely packed with them.

This eeriness extends to practically every other aspect of the film as well. The Transylvanian castle fills the viewer with foreboding from the moment it is first seen, and the darkly lit halls and corridors within are no less disquieting. Even more menacing is the ruined manor in Bremen. Every window is broken, part of the roof is collapsed, and indeed it seems that at any moment the entire structure could come crashing down.

The special effects are also worth noting. Although crude by today's standards, there is still something frightening about seeing doors open and close on their own, or coffin lids floating through the air. We know that these sights can't be real; the jerkiness of the movements tells us that something is up. But the incompleteness of the illusion only adds to the feeling that something is not right, heightening our sense of apprehension.

Great advances in production values have taken place since this film was made, and I admit that Todd Browning's Dracula, made only a decade later, had much better plot and characterization. But Nosferatu is still the one of the most frightening movies I've ever seen, able to give even the hardiest of audiences nightmares. And if it can still have this effect today, just imagine what it must have been like for people watching this in 1921. It's not hard to picture many a burgher making their way home through the dark, narrow streets of Berlin or Munich, convinced that their every step was shadowed by an immortal being that lived only to suck the very life out of them, and to… You're not reading this in the dark are you?

The Silent Symphony of Count Doorlock...

Author: poe426 from USA
30 October 2014

Watching this one just this morning, I happened to be in the company of my niece's son, Louie. To make NOSFERATU interesting enough to hold the attention of a five-year-old, I resorted to doing the voices of the various characters (Peter Lorre and Edward G. Robinson lent their respective distinctive voices to the film). At one point, I thought I'd lost the kid: he picked up a pair of action figures and started playing with them. Then he looked up, just in time to see Max Schreck as Count Orlock walking toward the camera. "It's Count Doorlock," he said. And so it will ever be. NOSFERATU still holds up, after nearly a hundred years: the use of negative images to lend an air of unreality to the proceedings (the coach ride to Castle Doorlock) is still a neat little trick, as was what was apparently the use of a mirror to suggest a ghostly apparition (Count Doorlock, seen by a ship's crewman sick with "fever") and Doorlock's Horizontal to Vertical rise, done without so much as the bending of a single limb. The whole notion of a vampire "plague" is still viable (and the analogy still so apt) that it's being used on television (THE STRAIN) and in print (THE NIGHT RIDERS, an xlibris book).

A Pure Vampire Horror Film

Author: Rainey-Dawn from United States
29 October 2014

This is pure (true) vampire film. Deeply Gothic sets and costuming, a wickedly evil vampire and a more than scary visual atmosphere in this black and white silent horror movie classic.

What I am not crazy about is the film's score (the music we hear)- most of it is not very Gothic nor suspenseful or mysterious sounding enough for me. It's too "cutesy" sounding for my taste - and that ruins the atmosphere that is created within an otherwise good movie.

All in all this is a pretty good movie to watch and Max Schreck is one of the creepiest vampires to ever graze the screen. It is worth watching if you like your vampires extremely scary.