IMDb > Too Many Millions (1918) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Too Many Millions More at IMDbPro »

Too Many Millions (1918) - Lost

Author: Pamela Short from Canada
2 November 2016

Important note: This is not a film review. I hope to be able to find and add as many silent film synopsis of films that have a survival status of unknown or presumed lost. I try to do as much research as I can and it is not my intention to deceive anyone, for sometimes the film does exist and some presumed lost films are still being discovered. I am more than delighted if someone has knowledge of a film listed as lost but survives, as I wish all silent films did survive. I hope the reader enjoys this brief synopsis.

Walsingham Van Dorn ( Wallace Reid ), a rather unsuccessful book agent, is stunned to learn that he has inherited forty million dollars from his two uncles. Van Dorn asks his attorney Wilkins ( Tully Marshall ) to handle the responsibilities entailed in managing the fortune and then retires to his mansion. One evening, however, he is awakened by a young woman named Desiree Lane ( Ora Carew ), who refuses to leave until the two million dollars that his uncles swindled away from her father is restored. Van Dorn tries to return the money but discovers that Wilkins has stolen it and fled. Van Dorn and Desiree set out to find him, but when the hotel in which they have stopped for the night burns down, they are left standing in the street clad only in pajamas. To avoid a scandal, they marry and happily settle down. Two years later, Wilkins, unable to handle the fortune, returns it, but the young couple wonders whether they will continue to be happy as millionaires. The film ends with an inter-title asking "Mr. Audience, what would you do?"

This 1918 silent comedy was based from the novel Someone and Somebody by Porter Emerson Browne, starring Wallace Reid, Ora Carew, Tully Marshall, Noah Beery and Charles Ogle. The survival status of Too Many Millions (1918) is sadly listed in the American Silent Feature Film Database as; No holdings located in archives.