7 May 2007
Share on Facebook
Hilton: "I Don't Deserve Jail"
is devastated with a Los Angeles judge's decision to sentence her to 45 days behind bars - insisting she "doesn't deserve this." The hotel heiress will serve just under seven weeks in a California jail cell, after she was found guilty for violating a probation order and driving with a suspended license in February. The 26-year-old fought back tears as the sentence was handed down to her at Los Angeles County Superior Court by Judge Michael T. Sauer on Friday, but by Saturday afternoon she was back in Beverly Hills, Hollywood, to apparently drown her sorrows with a bout of retail therapy. Earlier that morning, Paris bemoaned her fate to waiting paparazzi outside her LA home, according to the New York Daily News. She said, "I told the truth yesterday. I feel that I was treated unfairly and that the sentence is both cruel and unwanted and I don't deserve this." Hilton is due to begin her prison stint at the Century Regional Detention Facility in Los Angeles County on June 5.
Basinger Celebrating Custody Battle Win
is celebrating after reportedly winning the latest fight in her custody battle with ex-husband Alec Baldwin
. The actress was in court in Los Angeles Friday for a hearing into the couple's custody spat over daughter Ireland, brought about by the leak of an angry answer machine message, during which a raging Baldwin called the 11-year-old a "rude, thoughtless little pig." Baldwin's custody rights were suspended as a result of his taped comments, but they were expected to be re-instated in the court hearing, which was conducted behind closed doors. The actor was not in court. But Basinger's attorney, Neal Hersh, revealed the judge overseeing the case ruled in her favor. Outside court, Hersh told reporters, "We are very, very pleased that the judge took an entire day to deal with the very, very important issue and give it a lot of thought and deliberation and effort. We are very, very pleased with the judge's thoughtful decision and fully support what she did here today." The lawyer would offer no further details of what was discussed and agreed in court. The couple's messy custody battle gave family activists the chance to protest outside the courthouse. Groups supporting both stars and waving placards and banners, clashed as the hearing went on inside.
Gruffudd Pulls Fansite After Fiancee Jibes
hunk Ioan Gruffudd
has shut down his official fan site after discovering fans had been criticizing his actress fiancee Alice Evans
. Gruffudd had been financially backing the website www.IoanOnline.com, but withdrew his support after reading negative comments about his 102 Dalmatians
co-star and partner on the site's message boards. The Welsh actor's spokeswoman Pippa Beng
says, "It's true Ioan has withdrawn his support following some comments that have been made. Ioan is sorry that this has happened and has posted a message on his website for fans." The website's American owner is devastated at the news, adding, "I can't afford to keep the site up on my own and won't do it without that it support, so it's closing down."
Studio Signs for Three More 'Spider-Man' Movies
Webbed superhero Spider-Man will appear in at least three more movies, Sony Pictures
has confirmed. The studio's chief executive Michael Lynton
said after the box office success of the latest release Spider-Man 3
, there is a huge audience waiting to see the story continue. Lynton tells BBC News, "Everybody has every intention of making a fourth, a fifth and a sixth and on and on. (We'll make) as many as we can make good stories for." Spider-Man 3
entered the record books as the most successful new release ever after taking $148 million in its opening weekend. Lynton enthuses, "I think it had a lot to do with timing - the fact we were the first out in the summer. I think it had to do with the fact that the movie had a universal appeal, it had a broader appeal than the second movie, it attracted a family audience and brought the family audience back. There were many factors that contributed to it, and there's a part that you just put down to 'I don't know'." Lynton did not confirm whether director Sam Raimi
or Tobey Maguire
would be coming back for the fourth installment and beyond.
Lohan Counting the Days Until She Turns 21
Party girl Lindsay Lohan
is counting the days till her 21st birthday in July, because it means she can legally go to clubs without getting her friends into trouble. The Mean Girls
actress plans to "milk it" when she becomes old enough to legally go to clubs, because her friends have had to put up with the media scrutiny when she attends a club underage. She tells American talk show host Ellen DeGeneres
turning 21 has "been a long time coming" for her pals who own nightclubs in Los Angeles - and she's glad "they don't have to worry about getting into trouble" by letting her in when she celebrates her forthcoming birthday. The actress is next set to be seen onscreen in Georgia Rule
opposite two-time Oscar winner Jane Fonda
and Oscar nominee Felicity Huffman
Monroe Loses Publicity Right
Movie icon Marilyn Monroe
lost her right of publicity when she died in 1962, a New York court has ruled. It was decided on Wednesday the Some Like It Hot
star relinquished power to control the commercial use of her name and image after her death, giving permission for family members of late photographer Sam Shaw to continue selling and licensing pictures of the actress, including the iconic photo of the blonde beauty standing above a subway vent. Monroe's estate sued Shaw Family Archives and Bradford Licensing Inc. in 2005 in Indiana alleging violations of the superstar's right of publicity. The dispute arose after the release of controversial T-shirts featuring an image of the star taken by Shaw. Shaw's family subsequently filed a declaratory relief action over the dispute in New York federal court.
Celebrity Lawyer Hammers Hasselhoff Over New Attack
's ex-wife has called the actor's latest public attack on her part of an "all-out hate fest". The Baywatch
creator sent a damning statement to US media outlets on Friday accusing his former wife, Pamela Bach
, of making assault allegations against him as nothing more than a publicity stunt. Angry about a TV interview, during which Bach claimed Hasselhoff would attack her in violent alcohol-fuelled rages, the actor called her comments "false" and "obscene." In the statement, the Knight Rider
star also repeated claims his ex-wife has "tested positive for alcohol and illegal substances in response to court ordered testing." He also attacked his ex-wife's new attorney, Debra Opri, accusing the woman, who recently represented Larry Birkhead
in his custody battle for Anna Nicole Smith
's baby daughter, of sharing "a thirst for publicity" with Bach. Firing back at Hasselhoff, Opri has released a statement. She writes, "His private conduct behind the scenes continues to be deplorable in that he refuses to accept responsibility for his actions by transferring blame to his ex-wife. This is the behavior of a man in denial who arrogantly spins his explanations to the media in an attempt to save face. The spinning is over." Opri also points out that a three-month-old video of an intoxicated Hasselhoff, which was leaked to the media last week and features the actor growling obscenities at his teenage daughter, could land him in big trouble. She adds, "His continuing abuse of alcohol violates court orders."
Bushnell at War with 'Sex and the City' Producer
Sex And The City
writer Candace Bushnell
is reportedly at war with former best friend Darren Star
, after he sold a TV show based on one of her novels to a TV network without telling her. Star, who produced the hit TV adaptation of Bushnell's book, was asked by the author to also turn her novel Lipstick Jungle
into another hit television series and wanted to air the project on network NBC. But when the author's agents couldn't reach an agreement with Star he created his own version of the pilot, changed the name to Cashmere Mafia
and sold it to rivals ABC. A source tells gossip column PageSix, "Candace is hurt and upset by Darren's betrayal. She was shocked. He was one of her best friends." The pilot episode of the TV adaptation of Lipstick Jungle
stars Brooke Shields
Mirren Turns Down Buckingham Palace Invite
Actress Helen Mirren
has turned down an invitation to dinner at Buckingham Palace, citing a hectic filming schedule for her no-show. The Oscar-winning actress - who won the coveted gong for her portrayal of the British royal in 2006 movie The Queen
- was quick to dismiss reports she has snubbed the British monarch, insisting she is "very sad" to turn down the dinner invitation, which clashes with filming for National Treasure: Book Of Secrets
. She says, "The Palace very kindly extended an invitation to dinner last Tuesday, May 1. But, unfortunately I was filming in South Dakota and unable to change my schedule. I am very sad not to have been able to attend."
Kim Fields Welcomes a Boy
The Internet Movie Database takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the articles above. Studio Briefing is edited by Lew Irwin and articles are the copyright of StudioBriefing.
The Celebrity News articles are licensed from WENN (World Entertainment News Network) and published for the entertainment of our users only. The WENN items do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that WENN's reporting is completely factual. Please address any complaints regarding the content of WENN to email@example.com.
Former The Facts Of Life
actress Kim Fields
is celebrating after giving birth to her first child. The 37-year-old star and actor fiance Christopher Morgan, 30, welcomed Sebastian Alexander Morgan in a US hospital on Friday morning. Fields is best known for playing Dorothy "Tootie" Ramsay on The Facts Of Life
from 1979 until 1988, and also starred in the 90s sitcom Living Single