1 November 2004
Share on Facebook
Gibson Fights To Stay Out of Court
's attorneys are fighting to keep the movie star out of court as he fights to put his alleged stalker behind bars. The star has already won a restraining order against Zack Sinclair, but that didn't keep the 34-year-old drifter away from Gibson's home in Malibu, California. Sinclair has already been jailed twice for allegedly trespassing on the Gibson estate, but the actor wants the stalker out of his life for good - without having to face him in court. Gibson's prosecutor Debra Archuleta is reportedly using California's Victim's Rights Act, which helps crime victims avoid defendants, to avoid a day in court, insisting she wants to use the testimony of undercover cops working on the case instead. Meanwhile, Sinclair's attorney Gayle Perlo is determined to win her client a reprieve, insisting he has never been and will never be a threat to Gibson's safety. She says, "This is a very unfortunate situation for everyone involved. Zack comes from a very loving and concerned family. He's a very sincere young man, deeply religious." Perlo claims Sinclair merely wanted to meet with Gibson and chat to him about his The Passion Of The Christ
movie. Sinclair is due back in court later this month, for the preliminary hearing into the case.
Kidman: "Luhrmann Not Doing Alexander Film"
Australian director Baz Luhrmann
has officially dumped his delayed Alexander The Great
biopic, according the film's would-be star Nicole Kidman
. The Oscar-winner was set to play Olympias - the mother of Leonardo DiCaprio
's Macedonian warrior Alexander - in the eagerly anticipated movie. Luhrmann announced in 2003 he was delaying the film until a 2006 release to concentrate on other projects and devote a lot more time to the film. Rival Alexander
film, directed by Oliver Stone
and starring Colin Farrell
and Angelina Jolie
, is released this month. When asked by Canadian newspaper Toronto Sun
if the Moulin Rouge
director was still going ahead with Alexander, Kidman replied, "No." When told many film fans were looking forward to comparing the two films and were intrigued by Luhrmann's vastly different creative approach to the story, Kidman says, "I was too (intrigued)."
Now Eminem's Caught Lip-Syncing on TV
Bosses of American satirical show Saturday Night Live
were left embarrassed by Eminem
last night when the rapper lipsynced through parts of his two performances on the show. A week after Ashlee Simpson
's miming fiasco made headlines, Eminem failed to keep up with his own guide track as he performed politically-charged "Mosh" and new hit "Just Lose It." This came after guest host Kate Winslet
poked fun at last week's lip-syncing controversy during her opening monologue. She said, "I'm thrilled to be hosting Saturday Night Live
. I can assure you it is live because I'm hyperventilating a bit. I do however wish it wasn't the week after the Ashlee Simpson
incident because now I really do have to perform live." Winslet then showed off her tap-dancing and singing skills - to prove that the show was completely live. Winslet's stint on the show was a hit - she played Norah Jones
and a female Dr. Frankenstein in skits on the program. Meanwhile, Saturday Night Live
writers further poked fun at Simpson when regular comic Horatio Sanz
performed, Ashlee Simpson
' you're a phoney...' to the tune of Elton John
's "Tiny Dancer."
Olsen Back in New York City
Actress Mary-Kate Olsen
has ended speculation over her education, after leaving Los Angeles to return to New York University. Last week, Mary-Kate returned to Southern California for a few days, and her representative Michael Pagnotta
was immediately prompted to shoot down reports that she was leaving school to re-enter treatment for her eating disorder. But she has now returned to the Big Apple, where she and her twin sister Ashley
are studying. Pagnotta says, "(Mary-Kate) is back in town. She'll be back (in school). Ashley is here, too." The teen stars marked Mary-Kate's return with a trip to one of her favorite spots, Next Door Nobu, for a late Sunday dinner with friends.
Rip Torn Innocent of Drunk Driving
Actor Rip Torn
was cleared of drunk driving charges by a New York court Thursday. The Emmy-winning star, real name Elmore Torn, had stood accused of driving under the influence of alcohol after crashing into the back of a taxi in Greenwich Village, Manhattan earlier this year. The 73-year-old said after being acquitted, "This is one of the great events in my life. To be in the hands of this wonderful jury. I love New York." He then went on to shake each of the four male jurors by the hand and planted kisses on the two female jurors. After his arrest the Men In Black
actor had been filmed hurling abuse at police officers and refusing to take a sobriety test. Defense lawyer Adam Levy asserted in his closing speech that Torn's outbursts were caused by anger at his mistreatment rather than drunkenness. Levy said that Torn was raging because he had been handcuffed for no reason and prevented from using the bathroom. He acknowledged that his client was embarrassed by his behavior, but asserted that he had only consumed two drinks on the night of the accident.
Hasselhoff Avoids Jail
star David Hasselhoff
narrowly avoided a jail sentence on drunk driving charges Thursday. The 52-year-old actor was ordered to attend 50 Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, fined $200, placed on probation for 36 months and ordered to complete 200 hours of community service after pleading "no contest" to driving with excess alcohol. Hasselhoff was also ordered to complete a driver's course before he is allowed to drive - other than to work or taking his children to school. The star - who recently completed a stint in musical Chicago
in London's West End - was stopped by police driving erratically near his home in Los Angeles. A court in Van Nuys, Los Angeles, ruled Hasselhoff must complete his community service working for the charity Wheels For Humanity, which provides wheelchairs for disabled children in poor families.
Affleck Blasts Kevin Smith
has made an astonishing swipe at long-term pal, director Kevin Smith
- accusing him of exploiting teenage fans of his cult films. Affleck has appeared in five of Smith's films, starting with 1995's Mallrats
and most recently this year's Jersey Girl
. But Smith was reportedly upset Affleck snubbed the DVD launch of Jersey Girl
- and Affleck has hit back while publicizing new movie Surviving Christmas
. He told The Scoop, "It wasn't enough that I went to Vegas to play in his lame charity poker tournament for the DVD launch of Jersey Girl
, but I also had to go out to his f***ing store where he's opening a store where all he's doing is selling more T-shirts of him and his jacka** friend (Jason Mewes
) and he's roped in an entire generation of kids into thinking it's worth spending $30 on and $50 if he signs it. I mean the whole thing is a complete travesty and he wanted me to participate in it and I won't do that."
'Producers' Movie on Hold After Lane's London Dash
The eagerly-awaited big screen version of The Producers
has been delayed after the film's star Nathan Lane
replaced ailing Richard Dreyfuss
in the London theatre production. Only days before previews of the West End show were scheduled to begin this month, Jaws
star Dreyfuss pulled out citing a shoulder and back injury, and luckily the Tony award winning Lane was able to take over the role of Max Bialystock - which he has received rave reviews for on Broadway. American newspaper New York Post
reports the comedy musical - which was set to start filming at Brooklyn's Steiner Studios - in on hold until Lane returns to America. Last week it was announced teen star Lindsay Lohan
's forthcoming movie Lady Luck
had been delayed and switched from New York to New Orleans, Louisiana after the young actress spent time in hospital for a high fever. Kara Alaimo from the New York Mayor's Office Of Film, Theater And Broadcasting says, "Production schedules regularly fluctuate for a variety of reasons. The Producers is scheduled to open their offices at Steiner Studios on December 1, but will likely do so even earlier. We look forward to working closely with the film while it is in pre-production and when it begins shooting." The Producers
is set to star Lane, Matthew Broderick
, Will Ferrell
and Nicole Kidman
Britney Insists She Isn't in 'Seed of Chucky'
has forced the cheeky filmmakers behind the new Child's Play
movie to add confirmation she doesn't appear in the film to trailers. The pop superstar, who last month vetoed a plan for movie-makers to use her breakthrough "...Baby One More Time" hit in a sex scene between two horror dolls, is now upset by scenes in the trailer of Seed Of Chucky
, in which the scar-faced doll chases a Spears lookalike. The trailers that now feature the scene now feature the tag line, Britney Spears
' does not appear in this film.'
John Wants To Conquer 'Rage'
Flamboyant rocker Sir Elton John
has blamed his infamous temper tantrums on his creativity. The star, 57, is trying to adopt his partner David Furnish
's "rational" and "calm" attitude to situations which usually encourages his anger to flare-up. He says, "I know the bad sides are still there. I know I'll never take cocaine again, but the other things - the rage and the temper, and I think the irrationality is still there... but it's part of being creative. There are still times, especially when I'm tired, when the bad temper and the irrationality come out. And I hate that. Because I'm trying to change it. The chink in my armor is still there. It's not as prolific as it used to be, but it's still there. I don't seem to have anger - I have rage. David can talk to me, while I'm screaming my head off, in the most rational, calm way about the solution, and I would love to have the ability to rationalize something and talk things through. I can't. I'm very emotional. And when I do, it throws me. Being unreasonably emotional makes me feel like I've had a line of coke or something."
O'Toole Slams 'Troy'
The Internet Movie Database takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the articles above. Studio Briefing is edited by Lew Irwin and articles are the copyright of StudioBriefing.
The Celebrity News articles are licensed from WENN (World Entertainment News Network) and published for the entertainment of our users only. The WENN items do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that WENN's reporting is completely factual. Please address any complaints regarding the content of WENN to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Legendary actor Peter O'Toole
has launched a blistering attack at his last movie Troy
and its director Wolfgang Petersen
. O'Toole starred as Priam alongside a star-studded ensemble cast including Brad Pitt
, Orlando Bloom
, and Diane Kruger
in the mythical epic. But the 72-year-old Irish actor hated working with German film-maker Peterson and was disappointed with the finished product. He says, "Ugh, what a disaster. The director, that Kraut, what a clown he was. When it was all over, I watched 15 minutes of the finished movie and then walked out. At least I had one good scene."