Week of   « Prev | Next »

1-20 of 132 items   « Prev | Next »


Refn Keen To Do A "Batgirl" Movie

19 hours ago

"Drive" and "Only God Forgives" director Nicolas Winding Refn has previously expressed his interest in tackling a superhero film, and now it seems he may have staked his claim on a property - Batgirl.

The Danish filmmaker, whose "The Neon Demon" opened this past Friday, tells Business Insider that he's deliberately looking out for a hero that hasn't been adapted into a 21st century, live-action, superhero blockbuster yet - and Barbra Gordon fits the bill:

"What ones are left? You know the one I want to do? I want to make Batgirl. Let’s get Warner working on it... I would love to make one [a superhero film], it would probably be great fun. I just don’t know when it’s going to happen. I very much enjoy my freedom creatively, but I also would love to make one of those big Hollywood films that costs a lot of money and has »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Rumors Of A Marvel and Fox Arrangement?

19 hours ago

Famously Marvel Studios doesn't own all its properties as Sony and Fox still have the rights to the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men"/"Fantastic Four" franchises respectively.

Then the unexpected happened - Marvel and Sony came to a deal over Spider-Man which would see Marvel Studios have creative control of the projects which would still remain Sony films. The deal allowed Spider-Man to appear as a character in "Captain America: Civil War" and will allow McU characters to show up in next year's "Spider-Man: Homecoming" film.

The character's appearance in 'Civil War' was a big success, a stark contrast to last year's "Fantastic Four" reboot which failed badly and the recent "X-Men: Apocalypse" which made money but was a critical bomb. Having seen the impact on Sony, could Fox now be considering a similar arrangement?

A new report in the latest episode of Collider Heroes (via Cbm) has a scoop from Matt Key, »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


"Bfg," "Tarzan" Looking To Open Softly

19 hours ago

Early tracking figures are in for the next few weeks, and the Summer of soft openings for expensive tentpoles continues in this coming week it would appear.

Three films opening wide for the July 4th weekend - "The Legend of Tarzan," "The Bfg" and "The Purge: Election Year". The first two are costly tales with 'Tarzan' said to clock in at $180 million and 'Bfg' at $140 million, while 'Purge' is quite economical with a $10 million budget.

THR says that according to early estimates, both 'Tarzan' and 'Bfg" are headed to openings of only around $30 million with the vine swinger likely to end up just above that while the friendly giant comes in just below.

'Purge' on the other hand will be a profitable hit, headed for an opening above $20 million - so more than doubling its budget on its opening weekend.

All three will open in cinemas on July 1st. »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Boyega & "Block" Director To Re-Team?

19 hours ago

They both shot to prominence with the cult classic "Attack the Block," now filmmaker Joe Cornish and actor John Boyega may re-team again. On Saturday, Boyega tweeted: "Saw Joe Cornish the other day, Yes. We are brainstorming. #somethingnew".

Boyega, who has since entered the public zeitgeist with his role as Finn in the new "Star Wars" trilogy, has previously talked about ideas for a 'possible sequel' to "Attack the Block". Boyega indicated one idea was a larger alien invasion, with Boyega's Moses leading an army of hood kids across the Thames.

Another possibility is Cornish's historical spy drama "Section 6," a passion project he's been developing about the founding of British secret service MI6 and one that hit some legal hurdles due to the Bond franchise. That has reportedly all been sorted out now, no word if the originally attached Jack O'Connell is still on board.

EW »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Hawley Talks The Future Of FX's "Fargo"

19 hours ago

There was an eighteen month gap between the first and second season of FX's "Fargo" series which began airing April 2014 and October 2015 respectively. Showrunner Noah Hawley has confirmed that they are targeting a second half 2017 airing but hasn't locked down a specific month just yet.

Reports have indicated Ewan McGregor will lead the new season playing two roles in a story set in the early 2010s and deal with how Minnesota is being imperiled by the invasive rise of social media culture. In a new interview with Vulture, Hawley was non-committal about the future of the series after this point but is happy that he isn't forced to adopt a regular scheduled with it:

"Every time I'm in the middle of one [season] I go, I don't know if there's another one. I know that big corporations don't usually do a mic drop after a success, but one of the things »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


"Dory" Beats "Resurgence" At Box-Office

19 hours ago

Roland Emmerich's sequel "Independence Day: Resurgence" proved a minor disappointment at the domestic box-office this weekend, but made up for the shortfall overseas.

The sequel to the 1996 alien invasion tale grossed an estimated $41.6 million from U.S. cinemas, down from the early tracking estimates which pegged it closer to $50 million. Outside the U.S. though, it made a robust $102.1 million from 57 foreign markets.

The second weekend of Disney and Pixar's "Finding Dory" topped the U.S. box-office, taking in a further $73.2 million - should the actuals hold it will be the second biggest weekend domestically for an animated film. Its worldwide total currently stands at $396 million.

The shark thriller "The Shallows" beat expectations, coming in fourth with an estimated $16.7 million in its opening. It just came in behind the comedy "Central Intelligence" which held strong with $18.4 million in its second weekend.

Not faring so well was the Civil War »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Tatum: There Will Be No Third "Magic Mike"

25 June 2016 8:06 AM, PDT

There's many vocal fans out there of the two "Magic Mike" films with various debates about which one people prefer. This leads to the inevitable question - will star Channing Tatum and company make a third one to potentially break this deadlock?

Sorry, but Tatum himself seems to suggest that any further plans for the male stripper franchise are now over. Speaking with THR at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity this week, Tatum has decreed that no third film is going to be made. Instead his focus is now going towards the already announced live Vegas show and a potential Broadway musical, and he explains his reasons as to why he's going this direction:

"The third installment will be the show, and I think it has to evolve past these guys. The first one was about Mike, the second one was about the guys and I think the »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Justin Lin Courted For "Akira" Remake

25 June 2016 8:05 AM, PDT

Warner Bros. Pictures have spent a long time developing a live-action feature adaptation of the acclaimed manga and its subsequent 1988 anime feature "Akira". Several different filmmakers have been attached at different points including Stephen Norrington, Gary Whitta, Albert Hughes, Ruairi Robinson, and Jaume Collet-Serra.

Now a new name has been added to the list. Speaking to Meet The Movie Press, The Wrap writer Jeff Sneider says the studio is keen on "Fast Five" helmer Justin Lin to direct the project.

At last report Marco J. Ramirez had been hired to pen a new draft of the script late last year, one that could be the beginning of a film trilogy. »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Kellan Lutz Up For "He-Man" Reboot?

25 June 2016 8:04 AM, PDT

Though talk of the "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" cinematic reboot has been going around for some time, there hasn't been much movement on the project in recent years beyond the attachment of McG ("Charlie's Angels," "Terminator Salvation") as director.

Now it seems one actor has used social media to indicate he's at least met over the film and could be in the running - "Twilight" series actor Kellan Lutz. Lutz just tweeted:

"Hey @HeManTheMovie and all Motu fans, Had an amazing meeting with @McGsWonderland and @ItsMaryViola talking Motu. Its In Great Hands!"

For those wondering Mary Viola is the president of McG's production company Wonderland Sound & Vision. A meeting is a long way from even negotiations though, and how many actors McG has met for the film is unclear.

So far there's been few rumors regarding who'll play the protector of Castle Grayskull or when the »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


"Thor: Ragnarok," "Deadpool 2" Set Dates

25 June 2016 8:03 AM, PDT

Two Marvel films have released details of their production schedules with Taika Waititi's "Thor: Ragnarok" set to begin shooting in Australia next month on July 4th says a new report in the Gold Coast Bulletin.

Shooting will take place at Village Roadshow Studios in Queensland with filming currently slated to continue through until at least October and possibly up until the year's end. Waititi tells the outlet:

"I've been hanging out with Chris and I've been working on the script with the writer, designing swords and things and looking at pieces of armour. I am an outside choice for Thor for sure - even I see that - but that's what's good about Marvel, what's great about it. They're able to do that and it's paid off for them - getting people who aren't the natural choice. You see it again and again, so I'm very comfortable in the role. »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Lindelof Talks Ending "The Leftovers" S3

25 June 2016 8:02 AM, PDT

Series producer Damon Lindelof has revealed that the third and final season of HBO's "The Leftovers" isn't likely to debut on the network until early 2017.

The first two episodes of season three were reportedly shot in Texas, the remainder will shoot in Australia where much of the third season will be set. He tells Deadline that going into the new season, there's a definite ending in mind:

"Well, we started with the very end. We eventually said, what do we want the last scene of the series to be, who's in that scene and what's happening in that scene, what do we want that scene to evoke emotionally?

And then, on a storytelling level, what happens, what feels like finality in a show that has never been about resolving mystery and delivering conclusive endings, now that the show is actually going to end? And how do we want the audience »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Brexit Won't Impact "Game of Thrones"

25 June 2016 8:01 AM, PDT

As the United Kingdom is still reeling from the vote this week to exit the European Union (aka. Brexit), many questions remain about the logistics of the announcement and how it will impact film and TV production in Blighty in coming months and years.

HBO's big-budget fantasy feature "Game of Thrones" makes extensive use of locations in Ireland and so fans have been concerned about how this will impact production of the seventh season which begins filming shortly. The show's producers have issued the statement: "We do not anticipate that the result of the EU Referendum will have any material effect on HBO producing ‘Game of Thrones."

It's expected some productions could be harmed because of disappearing tax breaks or subsidies, but those tied to the series indicate that the show hasn't required support from the European Regional Development Fund (Erdc) for the past few seasons.

The passing of 'Brexit' »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


"Dory" To Beat "Resurgence" At Box-Office?

24 June 2016 2:02 PM, PDT

The second outing of "Finding Dory" is reportedly set to win the U.S. box office this weekend with a sophomore haul of about $67 million.

That puts it ahead of the $48 million opening that Fox's "Independence Day: Resurgence" is currently indicating, along with "The Shallows" opening around $13-15 million and the Matthew McConaughey civil war drama "Free State of Jones" which will score a soft $7-8 million opening.

The 'Dory' drop is around 50%, but even so gives it a very impressive 10-day domestic haul of $260 million. 'Resurgence' made $4 million in Thursday night previews and is on course for an $18 million opening day, but cost a reported $165 million to make and will need to do well overseas.

Should 'Resurgence' prove a success, director Roland Emmerich told Empire this week there's already plans for a third which would take the cast on "an intergalactic journey" and be set a year or two »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


"Ghostbusters" First Tracking Figures Are In

24 June 2016 2:01 PM, PDT

First tracking figures are in for Sony's "Ghostbusters" reboot with early estimates indicating the film will debut to a figure in the $40-50 million range over the July 15th-17th weekend.

The film cost a reported $154 million to produce so the studio would likely hope for the higher end of that estimate. The big final marketing push for the film has yet to begin though so those estimates could easily go up, Sony is seeing that with "The Shallows" this weekend which early tracking indicated an opening of $8 million but it is now on course for nearly double that with $13-15 million.

Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are the new Ghostbusters who'ev been at the center of a social media firestorm. Sony studio head Tom Rothman is unphased, saying to THR this week the controversy is "the greatest thing that ever happened... Are you kidding me? »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Mon Mothma A Big Part Of "Rogue One"

24 June 2016 11:08 AM, PDT

One of the big surprises of the teaser trailer for "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" was the appearance of a familiar face from "Return of the Jedi" - the Rebel Leader Mon Mothma.

Genevieve O'Reilly, who first played the role ten years earlier in a deleted scene from "Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith," reprises it in the new film in what was suspected to be just a cameo. Turns out she has a significantly larger role than that. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy tells EW:

"We actually see quite a bit of her. The Rebel alliance is in disarray. Pretty panicked. Up against it. And she is trying the best she can to provide the leadership, in amongst a wide variety of Rebel soldiers that have very differing opinions as to what to do."

That's not all though, several more photos from the project have been »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Fuller Shoots Down "Star Trek" Series Rumors

24 June 2016 11:07 AM, PDT

Yesterday we heard from "Hannibal" showrunner Bryan Fuller about the production schedule and tone of his upcoming "Star Trek" TV series for CBS' All Access streaming service. One thing he didn't touch upon though is the question that all Trekkies want to know - When is the series set.

Specifically will this take place in the old timeline or the alternate J.J. Abrams film one, and in either case what time period will it be set in? Mid-late 23rd century (Kirk), mid-late 24th century (Picard), between those eras, before them, after them, etc.

Fuller seems to be keeping that information under his hat, but speaking with Moviefone this week, he did shoot down some of the rumors that have gone online about it:

"I mean, it's funny. I've read that we're [set] before 'Next Generation,' after '[Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country,' which is false. I've read that it's an anthology show, »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Sony Keen On Spidey Spin-Off "Silver Sable"?

24 June 2016 11:06 AM, PDT

As we've heard that even with the Marvel deal in place, Sony Pictures is still intent on developing an onscreen "Spidey-verse" featuring supporting characters from the comics.

Now, Meet the Movie Press has heard about one potential Marvel antihero who might be a part of that - Silver Sable. News of this potential first hit back during the Sony hack in late 2014, and The Wrap editor Jeff Sneider reportedly says on the podcast that Sony still wants to move forward with a Silver Sable movie.

In fact, it is indicated that "Shame" scribe and "The Hour" creator Abi Morgan is in talks to potentially pen the script. In the comics, Silver Sable is a mercenary (without superpowers) who has been both an ally and enemy of Spider-Man and several other characters.

No other details are provided. It's still early days though with Sony likely waiting to see how audiences react »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


"Suicide Squad" Wraps Post-Production

24 June 2016 11:05 AM, PDT

Filmmaker David Ayer has used Twitter to confirm that post-production work on the "Suicide Squad" film is now complete with the final sound mix and coloring now in place. He just tweeted a few hours ago:

"Squad is completed! Finished final mix and coloring. Now it;s off to the lab and then the world. Nothing like it out there. It.Is.a.Beast."

Ayer took the time to shoot down a rumor that the DC Comics adaptation's runtime clocked in at just 100 minutes, saying it's categorically "not true" but not indicating what the actual runtime is.

Ayer also confirmed the existence within the film of A.R.G.U.S. (Advanced Research Group Uniting Super-Humans), a creation of DC's The New 52 reboot five years ago, along with plans for N.H.E.J.C.O. (Non-Human Entity Joint Combat Operations). Either way it sounds like A.R.G.U. »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Photos: The Cars Of The "Fast 8" Iceland Set

24 June 2016 11:04 AM, PDT

As filming continues on the eighth "Fast and Furious" film, Universal Pictures has posted several new photos of cars used during the production's shoot in Iceland a few weeks ago.

F. Gary Gray helms the new film which sees Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges, Elsa Pataky, Nathalie Emmanuel, Lucas Black, Jason Statham, Dwayne Johnson and Kurt Russell reprising their roles and are joined by Charlize Theron, Scott Eastwood and Dame Helen Mirren.

Shooting is also taking place in New York, Atlanta and Georgia with rumors of some taking place in Russia as well. The movie will open in cinemas April 14th.

»

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


Emmerich's Next To Be Sci-Fi Epic "Moonfall"

24 June 2016 11:03 AM, PDT

Just as his "Independence Day: Resurgence" hits cinemas, filmmaker Roland Emmerich is setting up another sci-fi event feature with the spec script "Moonfall" being picked up by Universal Pictures.

Emmerich, Harald Kloser ("The Day After Tomorrow") and Spencer Cohen ("Extinction") penned the script about a band of misfits who must unite to save humanity when the moon falls out of orbit and hurtles towards earth. The film is described as "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" meets "2012".

The picture will be fast-tracked to serve as Emmerich's next directing effort and he will also produce the film with Kloser.

Source: Deadline »

- Garth Franklin

Permalink | Report a problem


1-20 of 132 items   « Prev | Next »



IMDb.com, Inc. takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the above news articles, Tweets, or blog posts. This content is published for the entertainment of our users only. The news articles, Tweets, and blog posts do not represent IMDb's opinions nor can we guarantee that the reporting therein is completely factual. Please visit the source responsible for the item in question to report any concerns you may have regarding content or accuracy.

See our NewsDesk partners