Scientologists say new Hollywood base would become central media hub for its 9,000 branches
The Church of Scientology and the movie business have qualities in common – they are both purveyors of dreams and they both provoke emotional reactions in their customers.
In a move that makes the connection more overt, the church has now acquired a property that has the distinction of being the longest continuously-producing Hollywood studio. The Scientologists have bought the five-acre site on Sunset Boulevard from a struggling public TV station, Kcet-tv, for an undisclosed sum likely to have run to several million dollars.
Over the years the studio has been in the hands of Monogram Pictures and Allied Artists and has produced such blockbusters as El Cid [see footnote] with Charlton Heston, Hurricane directed by John Ford, and several Charlie Chan movies.
It adds some 28,000 square metres (300,000 square feet) to the church's already huge capacity to create films and television. »
- Ed Pilkington
Similar News ItemsTom Cruise
- Paramount Strikes Long Term Distribution Deal With Korea’s Lotte (From Variety - Film News. 5 March 2015, 4:43 PM, PST)
- Star Wars Actor Ford Injured in Plane Accident in Los Angeles Area (From Alt Film Guide. 5 March 2015, 4:43 PM, PST)
- Paramount, Lotte cut South Korea deal (From ScreenDaily. 5 March 2015, 11:19 AM, PST)
- Watch: Vintage 29-Minute Talk With Anthony Burgess & Malcolm McDowell About Stanley Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange' (From The Playlist. 5 March 2015, 2:05 PM, PST)
- Mexico’s Rising Stars, Volker Schlondorff, John Cooper, Michael Nyman at 2015’s ArteCareyes (Exclusive) (From Variety - Film News. 3 March 2015, 8:25 AM, PST)
- Richard Lagravenese on His ‘Rude Awakening’ to Hollywood (From Variety - Film News. 27 February 2015, 10:00 AM, PST)
- Walden to Co-Finance Steven Spielberg’s ‘BFG’ With DreamWorks (From Variety - Film News. 5 March 2015, 3:00 PM, PST)
- 6 Movie Recasts Too Obvious to Ignore (From Entertainment Tonight. 4 March 2015, 4:14 PM, PST)
- Katie Holmes Looks Smoking Hot in New Alterna Haircare Campaign—Go Behind the Scenes! (From E! Online. 4 March 2015, 9:00 AM, PST)