Sidney Lumet (1924-2011), one of the last of the great filmmaking giants whose career embodied both the old-Hollywood style of the '50s and the new wave social realism of the '60s and '70s, has passed on at age 86 from lymphoma.
The New York Times states the director died at his home in Manhattan; fitting, since he was known as the consummate New York director, setting the bulk of his over-40 directorial efforts in the city that doesn't sleep. He made an auspicious debut in 1957 at age 33 with the Henry Fonda version of "12 Angry Men," which showed his mastery at building tension by setting the movie almost entirely in a single jury deliberation room.
He went on to do many films with social themes, covering nuclear war ("Fail-Safe"), police corruption ("Serpico"), and the media's corrosive effect on society ("Network"). Lumet also showed that he could abandon the heavy »
- Max Evry
Similar News ItemsMichael Jackson (I)
- New to Streaming: ‘The Lovers,’ ‘The Graduate,’ ‘Person to Person,’ ‘Obit,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 28 July 2017, 5:13 AM, PDT)
- Dealing with the Baggage of ‘The Simpsons Movie’ (From The Film Stage. 27 July 2017, 10:04 AM, PDT)
- Quincy Jones Awarded $9.4 Million From Michael Jackson's Estate in Royalties Lawsuit (From E! Online. 27 July 2017, 7:36 AM, PDT)
Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Laura Linney: 'Having a child later in life has been wonderful' (From The Guardian - TV News. 28 July 2017, 3:17 AM, PDT)
- New to Streaming: ‘Punch-Drunk Love,’ ‘Free Fire,’ ‘The Salesman,’ and More (From The Film Stage. 7 July 2017, 5:01 AM, PDT)
- Hollywood North: 12 major flicks filmed in Canada (From Cineplex. 27 June 2017, 1:00 PM, PDT)
- Oscars: Venice, Telluride, Toronto Lineups Provide Awards Season Snapshot (From Variety - Film News. 27 July 2017, 9:25 AM, PDT)
- EuropaCorp’s Stock Tanks After Luc Besson’s ‘Valerian’ Flops at Box Office (From The Wrap. 24 July 2017, 8:38 AM, PDT)
- Dunkirk scores $106 million global opening, but Valerian flops hard (From Flickeringmyth. 23 July 2017, 2:38 PM, PDT)