Filmmaking legend Sidney Lumet has passed away at the age of 86 from lymphoma. With a career spanning over five decades, Lumet has long been held high as one of the great filmmakers of all time by many of the great filmmakers of our time.
Starting out as a director of off-Broadway productions and then a highly respected TV director, he's one of the most prolific directors ever with a knack for not just working well with actors but shooting extremely quickly which allowed for a high turnover of work.
Throughout the 50's he directed hundred of episodes of television series like "Danger" and "You Are There" along with a similar amount of TV play adaptations for anthology series like "Playhouse 90" and "Studio One". Thus by the time of his first feature film, he was already extremely experienced behind the camera.
That first film also became arguably his signature work - "12 Angry Men". The 1957 drama, »
- Garth Franklin
Similar News ItemsMartin Scorsese
- Sean Penn Blasts Sony for Pulling ‘The Interview’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 December 2014, 12:37 PM, PST)
- Exclusive: Composer Howard Shore Talks The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies, Rosewater, Maps To The Stars, Silence, and More (From Collider.com. 19 December 2014, 12:17 PM, PST)
- HBO Details Martin Scorsese's Upcoming Druggy, 'Sex-Fueled' Music Biz Show (From Rolling Stone. 19 December 2014, 7:00 AM, PST)
- Mark Hamill Goes to the Dark Side at Jason Reitman’s Live Reading of ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ (From Variety - Film News. 19 December 2014, 7:38 AM, PST)
- Natalie Portman Says Mike Nichols Saved Her Career After 'Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace' (From The Playlist. 18 December 2014, 8:23 AM, PST)
- Win Run-Of-Engagement Passes To See Top Five In St. Louis (From WeAreMovieGeeks.com. 17 December 2014, 5:48 PM, PST)
- 'A Most Violent Year' (2014) Movie Review (From Rope Of Silicon. 18 December 2014, 11:29 AM, PST)
- Angelina Jolie says the Coen brothers brought a lack of sentimentality to 'Unbroken' (From Hitfix. 17 December 2014, 1:43 PM, PST)
- Film Review: ‘Annie’ (From Variety - Film News. 14 December 2014, 6:00 AM, PST)